3 Weeks that will define our season

CJGJ

We've made steps forward but the next 3 weeks will really test us and perhaps tell us just how far we still have to go

Ross County away..will be a difficult match with their plight clear to see

Rangers away..another tough away match against a side ahead of us in the league

Kilmarnock home..a side in excellent form and a mid week tie after a hard match away

Motherwell  away..Scottish Cup quarter final and a chance to keep a trophy dream alive

Hibs  away..the derby and all that entails especially with the needle that surrounds it and more importantly a match against a team above us as this is written

A great month and 4th in the league could become a real possibility as well as a semi final to look forward to never mind another derby victory

A bad month and season effectively over ?

With the rotation we have had seen in the starting 11 since Levein took over it should stand us in good stead for these games.

Ross County away on saturday is a game we must win if we want to finish 4th imo. 

OP is 100% correct.  I have a habit of getting a bit carried away and I'm sure I'm not alone.

That run of games will give us a very good gauge of where we are and the strength of out squad.

Really has to start with a win this weekend.

I suppose if we pulverise Hibs and beat Motherwell people will be relatively happy.

Good point.     There are lots of points there and a semi final place.    Or just a few points and no semi place.     It's a very important looking spell.    

You're never that far away from a potentially damaging poor run in Scottish Football.    3 or 4 bad games can do you in.    One game at a time though.    Yet to see anyone manage more than one at a time.

Good post. Exciting time ahead and some real belting games in there.

im only missing the RC and Sevco games, but looking forward to all the others. 

RC is a must win I agree, hoping the vermin drop points against the sheep. We are motoring along very nicely. 

All are winnable IMO though that rarely happens. Can’t wait

28 minutes ago, RENE said:

Have we not had season defining moments every week since the beginning of December?  ?

We've had season defining games since July.

The cup game is by far the biggest as it’s a great opportunity to get back to Hampden. Facing either Aberdeen or Rangers in a semi final would see us as underdogs but with a decent chance if we turned up on the day. Of course it would be great to win a few league games and especially the away derby and to close the gap and then pass Hibs but for me the Motherwell game is the one I desperately want to see us win, whether at Fir Park or back at Tynie. It’s also an opportunity to boost the coffers significantly and give the young lads some big time experience. I think we’ve seen that Levein is some what prioritizing the cup given his use of Hughes recently and it will be interesting to see what games he starts in the next few weeks.

4 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

The cup game is by far the biggest as it’s a great opportunity to get back to Hampden. Facing either Aberdeen or Rangers in a semi final would see us as underdogs but with a decent chance if we turned up on the day. Of course it would be great to win a few league games and especially the away derby and to close the gap and then pass Hibs but for me the Motherwell game is the one I desperately want to see us win, whether at Fir Park or back at Tynie. It’s also an opportunity to boost the coffers significantly and give the young lads a some experience. I think we’ve seen that Levein is some what prioritizing the cup given his use of Hughes recently and it will be interesting to see what games he starts in the next few weeks.

Definitely.    It's by far the biggest game.    We need to return to times of annual semi final in a cup as minimum.     This game is much bigger than any of the previous 5 cup games vs Hibs.     

17 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Good post. Exciting time ahead and some real belting games in there.

im only missing the RC and Sevco games, but looking forward to all the others. 

RC is a must win I agree, hoping the vermin drop points against the sheep. We are motoring along very nicely. 

All are winnable IMO though that rarely happens. Can’t wait

Agreed, back in August I wouldn't have been confident about beating Spartans , now its bring anybody on. That's football, how weve turned the corner has been superb 

Has the club said anything yet about players not available for Saturday?Thinking of Harry in particular.

30 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Has the club said anything yet about players not available for Saturday?Thinking of Harry in particular.

Cowie and Naismith will be back. Levein said Cochrane is a maybe.

I am at the stage where I fully trust these players and management team. Our poor start I feel will cost us in the end but these players want to win.

As mentioned earlier we have had ‘season defining ‘ matches since about october when we started getting a run of home games. The season already has been defined a bit in that we, in my opinion, are a much improved side. The next few weeks will give us a view on the rest of the season but for me the cup is most important. It’s been a long time since we were at hampden.  

1 hour ago, 8skacel8 said:

Cowie and Naismith will be back. Levein said Cochrane is a maybe.

Thanks.

4 hours ago, CJGJ said:

We've made steps forward but the next 3 weeks will really test us and perhaps tell us just how far we still have to go

Kilmarnock home..a side in excellent form and a mid week tie after a hard match away

Motherwell  away..Scottish Cup quarter final and a chance to keep a trophy dream alive

Hibs  away..the derby and all that entails especially with the needle that surrounds it and more importantly a match against a team above us as this is written

A great month and 4th in the league could become a real possibility as well as a semi final to look forward to never mind another derby victory

Moving towards the 'business end of the season'.

Lets hope we mean business all the way to the end! Our progress so far has been fantastic and perfectly timed!

To be honest I won’t be overly disheartened if we finish 5th if we get to the semi. Would love to finish 4th but think bad start may be our downfall. 

4th is there for the taking, h1b5 are 5h1t, 7 point gap soon to be 4 point gap after weekend IMO! more importantly, cup semi-final long over due

HHGH

Out form away from home has been hit and miss for a long time but in fairness apart from Celtic most clubs struggle away from home.

Ross County should be a win. They're really struggling. Can see a very dull nil-nil though.

Sevco away - much like Aberdeen away a point is still a good result. Yes they aren't the best and a victory certainly is possible but a narrow loss shouldn't send us into meltdown. Think we'll nick a 1-0 with Naismith cementing his place as a hate figure with a last min winner.

Killie at home. Tough to know what Killie will bring as they've been in great form but we still should pick up 3 points. Again it'll be tight.

Motherwell away - think we'll dominate them and come away with a decent 2 or 3 nil win.

Hibs - 4-0 Hearts. Lennon to implode after McGinn is sent off early doors. Levein to spent his afternoon laughing at Lennon. Amankwaa to score all 4.

2 hours ago, clouston1992 said:

To be honest I won’t be overly disheartened if we finish 5th if we get to the semi. Would love to finish 4th but think bad start may be our downfall. 

Well I will,I am expecting to finish Third and be playing Kilmarnock in the semi's.

Not that fussed about the league, the big game is Motherwell away. We've been failing to get to business end of the cups for far, far too long.

It’s important we try to keep building on the momentum we’ve gained in the league either side of the winter break.

Get to the split on good form and it could be an interesting last 5 matches.

All Out Attack
14 hours ago, CJGJ said:

Agree completely. 

Should Killie win their games in hand they will be above us in points and we would go 6th. Would a season which saw us finish below Killie and Hibs, without silverware be regarded as a success. Not in my book. 

Of course,  I think we will rise to the occasion and can see us getting a result in the majority of these games. I'm actually feeling quietly confident about going to Ibrox next time as they are a historically poor Rangers team. 

15 minutes ago, sairyinthat said:

Well I will,I am expecting to finish Third and be playing Kilmarnock in the semi's.

No danger are we finishing third. Fourth is doable though but I can't see it. Would love to have Killie in semi's but reckon Aberdeen will beat them.

• 4 weeks later...

Well looking back it was a terrible period and has defined in many ways our season...short of what we expect

When it was time to step up and put a winning run together and increase the quality of performance we failed.

There are always reasons but overall there is no excuse..we were not good enough over the period in performance or results.

Not back to the beginning but certainly a setback for us

27 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Well looking back it was a terrible period and has defined in many ways our season...short of what we expect

When it was time to step up and put a winning run together and increase the quality of performance we failed.

There are always reasons but overall there is no excuse..we were not good enough over the period in performance or results.

Not back to the beginning but certainly a setback for us

The biggest worry was the style of football played in these matches, with the season on the line there was a worrying lack of positive intent and intensity. The bluebrint was laid in the Celtic game, but we seemed to never play in that way again??? We sign Lafferty and Naismith at major cost to the club and then play in a way that leaves them isolated and lacking support. The only other game we looked half decent was St J in the cup ,when we put together a number of good periods of play, then at Motherwell go back to getting a goal and trying to hold on, works very rarely in my view, too many unpredictables. Get ahead then go for the jugular is the way.

WE are the only team in the League that has never come back to win from a goal down, kinda sums up the season we are having.

Those games showed the manager is not the man to take us seriously forward.

As pointed out above the style of play was also defining.

On 14/02/2018 at 19:36, CJGJ said:

2 points out of 12 in the league and out the cup to a side who occupied 1/3 of crowd and who lost to Hamilton yesterday 

Wonderful achievement - "In Craig we trust"

Archived