Footballers you can't help but like

hueyview

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As someone else said, Davie Cooper was a cracker of a player. From the old days, I also liked Morton's Andy Ritchie, who was once described as a "the epitome of the Scottish footballer – a fat, lazy *******, but with great ball skill".

Placid Casual

Pirlo, Mata, Zlatan, Socrates.

Gary Neville was a breath of fresh air when he first started in broadcasting, but he’s everywhere now!

Thought Marco Negri was outstanding for rangers for a season. Loved Gazza there was a thing on sky about him this morning when he was at Spurs just such a great character but could match it with bags of ability. Still cant believe he played in Scotland.

Henrick Larsson as well a model professional that you had to just admire when he played in Scotland. We will never see these types in our league again.

42 minutes ago, Busby8 said:

Jimmy Bullard

He ruins SoccerAm for me, i can't *** stand his cockney patter. Pretty much agree with all the other suggestions on here (even Griffiths and not cos of the England game). I like Lukaku. he's a very humble guy, very intelligent and his family have been through a lot. To still make it to the top after being binned by Jose at Chelsea says a lot.

Terry Hurlock took no shit and always gave his all. Like the Cascarino story about him ripping the front door off it's hinges in the pub when asked how he was going to handle Vinnie Jones when they played Wimbledon.

Салатные палочки
1 minute ago, NANOJAMBO said:

He ruins SoccerAm for me, i can't *** stand his cockney patter. Pretty much agree with all the other suggestions on here (even Griffiths and not cos of the England game). I like Lukaku. he's a very humble guy, very intelligent and his family have been through a lot. To still make it to the top after being binned by Jose at Chelsea says a lot.

This.  Utter bell-end of a guy.  His patter is atrocious.  

I remember reading a review on his book in When Saturday Comes and they ripped into him for taking the piss out of Fabio Capello.  Him and David Bentley were playing wee games in some England training camp to try and annoy him and were calling him Postman Pat, something that Bullard thought was absolutely hilarious.  A guy who played and managed at the top having the piss ripped out of him by two journeymen who could only dream of playing on that stage.  Bullard was lucky to even be training with England.  

Suarez: a wonderful player who is always treated and portrayed badly by the media.

John Terry: very loyal player, great captain and, again, was treated badly by the media. 

Салатные палочки
4 minutes ago, Bowmans_Boot said:

Suarez: a wonderful player who is always treated and portrayed badly by the media.

John Terry: very loyal player, great captain and, again, was treated badly by the media. 

Terry is a racist who was also shagging one of his team mates girlfriends behind his back.  His brother was doing the same, although that time the victim killed himself.  Horrible family.  

Totally justified by the media.  

11 hours ago, hueyview said:

I always liked Gazza, the silly ref card at Tynecastle, the flute for a laugh at the old firm gone wrong, even the fish supper and beer to get Raul Moaut to surrender....

At heart a good lad, but idiotic....yes.

Others, less mad.......but I liked them

Tommy Burns

Pasquale Bruno

Ivan Golac

and that yellow card when he gave the ref the yellow card! :lol:

Moaty, Moaty! 

20 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Terry is a racist who was also shagging one of his team mates girlfriends behind his back.  His brother was doing the same, although that time the victim killed himself.  Horrible family.  

Totally justified by the media.  

One of his team mates ex girlfriends. I never really understood why Wayne Bridge was so offended, to be honest. 

I also dont believe he is racist. 

3 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

My brother was sitting opposite crouch on a train a few years back and he spotted my brother had a Hearts polo shirt on and started blethering away about football. Good lad apparently. 

How many modern day footballers would respond to the question "What would you be if you weren't a footballer"? with, "A virgin". Not many. He is still a proper impact sub too. He's like a fit Andy Carroll with brains.

11 hours ago, Ryder said:

C391C863-8008-46DF-AAB6-B6286F1BDED9.jpeg

I endorse this post. This guy wouldn't have looked out of place in the best ever Arsenal side.

What

A

Player

51 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

He ruins SoccerAm for me, i can't *** stand his cockney patter.

It that wee bawbag doing that now? Thank Christ I've never watched it for years then.

1 hour ago, 3fingersreid said:

Lewis Stevenson ????

Juan Mata strikes me as a lovely fella , does a load of charity work , quietly . 

Is that Lewis Stevenson? I just assumed Dave was curling out a big Gladys.

Good thread huey.

Gazza

Di Canio

Asprilla

Trevor Brooking

Keegan

Beckham

Stuart Pearce

For some strange reason, Paul Hegarty.

Our own George Wright.

to name but a few.

Салатные палочки
23 minutes ago, Bowmans_Boot said:

I also dont believe he is racist. 

He called him a "black *******"  

That's racist, no matter how you dress it up.  

1 minute ago, Salad Fingers said:

What he said was racist, I dont believe he is racist, though. Most people have said something racist/sectarian at some point in the heat of the moment. 

Just now, Bowmans_Boot said:

What he said was racist, I dont believe he is racist, though. Most people have said something racist/sectarian at some point in the heat of the moment. 

Aah so he's just a sub-conscious racist then, cool.

2 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Correct.

The scumbag was also banned for 4 matches and fined if I remember right.

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

Sergio Ramos. Should hate him for the stupid antics on the pitch but just can’t. 

A total 100% player. 

This was another name that sprung to mind for me

Garry O’Connor.    The Thumb is my pals stepson. Always been a silly laddie but a good player who seems to have grown up..

8 hours ago, jambo-fletch said:

Zlatan for me! I quite like the arrogance and the fact and isn't media trained like the majority of footballers now days!

His PR is among the most slick in football. He knows exactly what he is doing and is an expert in manipulating the media.

4 hours ago, Placid Casual said:

This. A racist wee pr!ck who upset our Rudi and his family.

Leigh Griffiths joining in a singsong that inaccurately branded Rudi Skacel a refugee upset him and his family? I'd be surprised if it had any impact at all.

3 hours ago, Bowmans_Boot said:

John Terry is probably the biggest ***** in football.

3 hours ago, Morgan said:

Good thread huey.

Gazza

Di Canio

Asprilla

Trevor Brooking

Keegan

Beckham

Stuart Pearce

For some strange reason, Paul Hegarty.

Our own George Wright.

to name but a few.

Cheers Morgan.  Always enjoy characters in sport, more difficult in a team game.  Remember the Ref exaggerated fall by D'canio......   Just remembered Cantanas Hi Karate kick......      :)

15 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Albertz -  Loved the aggression he played with. 

Scott Brown - can't help but love him for the passion he plays with. He refuses to be dominated by anyone and can play abit too

James Forrest - love the way he plays. Not abit power but technique

Kris Commons - played with swagger but that guy could play abit. Hope we don't see him in a Hibs shirt again

Albertz, the hammer was a great power kicker.  McLeod at Celtic was good, but Albertz was excellent at this.

14 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Peter Crouch. Just seems like a good lad. 

Always liked the way Davie Cooper played, much as I hate Rangers

Cooper was class, at Rangers and Motherwell.  Came over well as well.......died far too young.

1 hour ago, Darren said:

His PR is among the most slick in football. He knows exactly what he is doing and is an expert in manipulating the media.

Leigh Griffiths joining in a singsong that inaccurately branded Rudi Skacel a refugee upset him and his family? I'd be surprised if it had any impact at all.

John Terry is probably the biggest ***** in football.

Yeah that was probably a poor choice of words! I find him entertaining though. Certainly more entertaining than the majority of footballers currently, who tend to not really give an insight into their personalities!

Samuel Camazzola

Others have already named some of the obvious ones - Laudrup, Beckham, Cantona. As a player, I was always comfortable with both feet and I'm a huge admirer of players who are two-footed (although frustratingly, there are not too many around these days). 

In addition to Laudrup, I loved watching Moravcik play. More recently, Tom Huddlestone is one of the few who've shown this ability. 

rudi must stay

A few others 

Alan Thomson - always played with his chest out and with supreme confidence. Always admired him

Zlatan - the ultimate love him or hate him player probably but I love the way he plays football. Not as fast as he used to be but he's made up for that by using the ball well when he has it.

Rooney - the ultimate power player. Brilliant player to watch

16 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

A few others 

Alan Thomson - always played with his chest out and with supreme confidence. Always admired him

Zlatan - the ultimate love him or hate him player probably but I love the way he plays football. Not as fast as he used to be but he's made up for that by using the ball well when he has it.

Rooney - the ultimate power player. Brilliant player to watch

Bloody hell... Brown, Forrest, Thomson and Commons? I thoroughly despise Brown and the other three are just *****. :yucky:

Is this the same wife beating,racist,flute playing Gazza getting all the plaudits on this thread.

The thumb as well.As bad as ratboy for his antics.

Paul Hegarty for me.

Always liked him for Dundee Utd .

David Ginola as well.

Bazzas right boot
7 hours ago, Bowmans_Boot said:

Suarez has bitten fellow players.

Good player, but anyone that bites folk is unlikable.

Aye, he's a good guy, until he bites you? Not getting that.

Btw, How was he harshly treated?

Carl Fredrickson

Paul Sturrock. A fantastic player who I dont think got the praise he should have due to him playing at Dundee Utd rather than rantic. 

When he was manager at St Johnston I went to a youth game at Newtongrange and PS stood next to me and chatted football for the duration of the game. I was blown away by how down to earth he was/is. Having said that we gubbed the young saints and the following days all of the saints youth players were released!

16 minutes ago, benny said:

Is this the same wife beating,racist,flute playing Gazza getting all the plaudits on this thread.

The thumb as well.As bad as ratboy for his antics.

Paul Hegarty for me.

Always liked him for Dundee Utd .

David Ginola as well.

Totally agree about Griffiths and Gazza in terms of off the pitch. 

Bazzas right boot
6 hours ago, smiler said:

Aah so he's just a sub-conscious racist then, cool.

Must be good to be saint.

In the past, at Hearts games I've taken part in secterian and racist songs.

There were a few thousand who did.

Not proud and have grown up.

Must be good to have never broken the law in anyway and never have acted like a dick.

Actually, nah it's a bit dull tbh.

Go out, steel a mars bar, even just for the hell of it!

9 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Suarez has bitten fellow players.

Good player, but anyone that bites folk is unlikable.

Aye, he's a good guy, until he bites you? Not getting that.

Btw, How was he harshly treated?

Yeah, biting players is awful and he was rightfully dealt with for that. Is it worse than intentionally trying to break someones leg? I dont know.

I felt sorry for him when the Evra "racist" claim was being made. Although Terry did make a racist comment, Suarez did not, and I felt the media did not support him in the way they should have. 

6 hours ago, Bowmans_Boot said:

Most people are a bit racist inside.  Some let it slip in the heat of the moment.

If you can't think of a better way to insult someone other than a racial slur, you're either racist or an uncreative idiot. Terry's likely both.

(And yes, I've said my share of racist stuff in the past -- I now have the sense to know it was racist and harmful and do my best to not do that anymore.)

Back on topic, Pirlo was the one that first came to mind for me. Also while thinking about internationals, Bryan Ruiz, Hector Herrera, and Chicherito. 

In the Scottish game, I f---ing love Graeme Shinnie and wish we could get him in maroon. I also think Tom Rogic doesn't get nearly the respect he deserves at Celtic.

For former Hearts players, aside from the obvious ones, Zeefuik. I think I enjoyed watching him as much as any other player we've had. His balance and touch under pressure were just incredible.

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, Bowmans_Boot said:

Yeah, biting players is awful and he was rightfully dealt with for that. Is it worse than intentionally trying to break someones leg? I dont know.

I felt sorry for him when the Evra "racist" claim was being made. Although Terry did make a racist comment, Suarez did not, and I felt the media did not support him in the way they should have. 

Fair enough, remember that now.

Although, Biting isn't what grown humans Should be doing to each other, ever.not cool for anyone over two.

6 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

Most people are a bit racist inside.  Some let it slip in the heat of the moment.

If you can't think of a better way to insult someone other than a racial slur, you're either racist or an uncreative idiot. Terry's likely both.

(And yes, I've said my share of racist stuff in the past -- I now have the sense to know it was racist and harmful and do my best to not do that anymore.)

Are you  a bit racist inside, then? 

I think most people say things when they are highly strung/under pressure which they don't really mean. 

I was a big fan of the Dun Utd team that got to the UEFA final, and John Clark in particular for some reason. 100% commitment.

gordon Dalziel

Peter Crouch

David Beckham

Davie Cooper

Kevin MCAlister

Jorg Albertz

Jan Molby

John Barnes

Peter Beardsley

Henry smith

Paolo Rossi

Socrates

Preben Elkjaer

Gheorghe Hagi

Dozens more if I sat down for a bit and thought about it.

I thought this thread was meant to be players who are generally disliked universally, but you still like them, no? Some people just seem to be listing good (& likeable!) players! I don't think many people disliked Crouch or Larsson, for example. 

1 minute ago, Bowmans_Boot said:

Are you  a bit racist inside, then? 

I think most people say things when they are highly strung/under pressure which they don't really mean. 

This is now terribly off topic, but yes, of course. US and UK societies both have racism (in different ways) deep in our social structures and our common stories and so on. It's difficult if not impossible to live in either one without absorbing some of it, often without realizing it. 

I have a lot more time for people who when they screw up say, "that was a big f---up un my part, I apologize, I will try hard to do better in the future" than those who, like Michael Richards or Terry, go on about how "I'm not racist, I don't say racist things, my intent wasn't racist..."  It's self-denial as much as anything.

I don't pretend I'm somehow so pure so as to be immune from that; instead I try to make myself and the institutions I'm involved with better.

Also, regarding Terry, I used to really like him when I thought he was just a big oaf of a player. But then it came out how much of an erse he is in so many different ways.

2 minutes ago, Bowmans_Boot said:

I don't think many people disliked Crouch or Larsson, for example. 

I disliked Larsson, great player that he was, as he was a dirty, diving *****. Brought the art of diving to new level.

28 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Must be good to be saint.

In the past, at Hearts games I've taken part in secterian and racist songs.

There were a few thousand who did.

Not proud and have grown up.

Must be good to have never broken the law in anyway and never have acted like a dick.

Actually, nah it's a bit dull tbh.

Go out, steel a mars bar, even just for the hell of it!

What are you on about now you slavering oaf?

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Bowmans_Boot said:

I thought this thread was meant to be players who are generally disliked universally, but you still like them, no? Some people just seem to be listing good (& likeable!) players! I don't think many people disliked Crouch or Larsson, for example. 

It was, I think. That made more sense than just listing good players/ nice guys.

I like John Robertson, Craig Levien, Colin Cameron, Adam, rudi.tosh, Davie Mac, JC, Robbie N,...

This game's easy!

With that in mind.

Not seen Roy Keane mentioned.

Archived