Repetitive Arse Covering by Levein

Tasavallan

1 minute ago, kila said:

So once we have some pace on the wings, a tough skilful midfielder and a left back, will we still play a long punt up to Lafferty?

We should be getting far more out the current squad by playing to their strengths. I don't think the January window will fix the style of play...

With our current midfield what is your suggestion for our style of play? Not a snidey comment what so ever I'd just appreciate people backing up their opinions with examples and alternative suggestions.

We don't have anyone with pace to run down the wings and put in balls to Lafferty/Isma/Stockton in the air. Our midfield are too weak, too small and too slow so they can't pick up the ball and switch the play quickly, they can't hold onto it and wait for someone to overlap so they either lose it or make the easy pass, usually backwards. Lafferty wins a fair few balls in the air but with such a slow midfield there is no one within 10 yards to run on and pick up the second ball and so we lose possession. Our midfield is so poor Lafferty comes damn near into his own half to pick up the ball. He then has no option but to cut across the field and pray to god someone is making a run (they never are).

This squad isn't good enough and is imbalanced. Exactly as Levein has said. We play long hoof-ball because with the players we've got just now it's the only chance we have of getting a goal. That or hoping Isma pulls something special out his arse which, credit where it's due, he has done a few times.

It's not good enough and it's not acceprable but Levein needs a transfer window before it's solely his fault. Anyone who trots out the line that he signed the current squad is ignoring the fact that he signed them because he was supporting the manager at the time. Which was his job, at the time.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He really has created all this on field mess and his reputation is taking an absolute hammering for it.  He needs to offload his squad of losers by any cost effective means necessary.  I have never seen a squad of more useless shite in all my years and he has to fix it - no-one else can at the end of the day.  I want tto give him the chance to do so but I have zero confidence he will.

I just wonder what would make doubters happy this season, top six, top four, a scottish cup win, where is your "Good season" line?

maroonlegions

Why has he NEVER held his hand up and said " SORRY i was a big part in the utter shite that is on the park just now"..  :whistling:

Needs to offload some of the dross and bring in his own players.

Understands fans anger and says they are justified in their criticisms.

Promises that it will get better.

So............... exactly the same guff Cathro came out with on a weekly basis then aye?

We tried to fix this mess with a huddy up front, a Man city invalid, a few huddies in midfield and a shite Northern Irish right back. I like the pace of Skinny but he is not the answer to any question.

5 minutes ago, Squirt said:

With our current midfield what is your suggestion for our style of play? Not a snidey comment what so ever I'd just appreciate people backing up their opinions with examples and alternative suggestions.

We don't have anyone with pace to run down the wings and put in balls to Lafferty/Isma/Stockton in the air. Our midfield are too weak, too small and too slow so they can't pick up the ball and switch the play quickly, they can't hold onto it and wait for someone to overlap so they either lose it or make the easy pass, usually backwards. Lafferty wins a fair few balls in the air but with such a slow midfield there is no one within 10 yards to run on and pick up the second ball and so we lose possession. Our midfield is so poor Lafferty comes damn near into his own half to pick up the ball. He then has no option but to cut across the field and pray to god someone is making a run (they never are).

This squad isn't good enough and is imbalanced. Exactly as Levein has said. We play long hoof-ball because with the players we've got just now it's the only chance we have of getting a goal. That or hoping Isma pulls something special out his arse which, credit where it's due, he has done a few times.

It's not good enough and it's not acceprable but Levein needs a transfer window before it's solely his fault. Anyone who trots out the line that he signed the current squad is ignoring the fact that he signed them because he was supporting the manager at the time. Which was his job, at the time.

You honestly think it was Cathro that signed all these shite players. 

Just now, the_jailer said:

You honestly think it was Cathro that signed all these shite players. 

Yes. A few, such as Isma, Lafferty, Smith, have direct connections with Cathro, who had direct connections and brought in Austin McPhee.

Can you provide evidence to the contrary that isn't just media/fan specualtion?

Isma, lafferty,Smith are our better players. 

You honestly think Cathro had a clue about Grizliek,Sowah,Martin,Stockton, Bikey. 

Dr Ian Malcolm
1 hour ago, Cut The Crap said:

At these press conferences, why does no one ask him why he allowed such a clearly imbalanced squad to be assembled by his predecessor?

Why is he never called out on the fact that each transfer window finds us desperately needing to re-balance the squad in order to accommodate the current incumbent's preferred style of football?

What has happened to the Principles of Play, which were intended to rid us of this wasteful rip-it-up-and-start-again mentality?

If he hadn't allowed Cathro to sign the players he wanted he'd have been hounded for not letting him do his job. Can't win with that one.

I agree with the second point, although prior to Cathro this was also partly down to Neilson's readiness to bomb players he didn't think were required before sourcing adequate, nevermind mind better replacements. For example we actively moved on McHattie as Oshaniwa came in without a thought of what we would do for a left back if he was a dud.

Basically attempts at building a squad since coming up have been a disaster, with all three at fault for differing reasons.

13 minutes ago, Squirt said:

Milinkovic has shown himself to be a pacey winger. Why is Levein so hesitant to start him? Why is Levein still playing Walker when he is now a weakness in our squad? Same with Callachan - he should've been subbed on Sunday and he should be dropped for this Sat. But Levein will have him in the starting line up.

I think the problem is also Levein's ideas, not necessarily just the footballing ability of the team. But it is far easier to just blame the squad, say it is unbalanced and that it wouldn't matter who was manager, no one would get anything more out this squad.

You honestly think Cathro had a clue about Grizliek,Sowah,Martin,Stockton, Bikey. 

So Levein done a good job signing those players in your opinion? Berra and, in my opinion, McLaughlin who is also an improvement? You going to give him the credit for those? That's 5 out of a starting 11.

I've already answered and yes I believe Cathro and his coaches would have been given the final say on players put to him whether it be by scouts or the DoF but Cathro was inept in his judgement.  

Once again can you provide anything to suggest that wasn't the case? I'm in no way insisting beyond all doubt that my opinions and my own speculation is correct but I'm willing to back it up with my thought process and explain why I think the way I do which is more than I can say for a lot of other posters on here. (Not directly aimed at yourself)

4 minutes ago, kila said:

Milinkovic has shown himself to be a pacey winger. Why is Levein so hesitant to start him? Why is Levein still playing Walker when he is now a weakness in our squad? Same with Callachan - he should've been subbed on Sunday and he should be dropped for this Sat. But Levein will have him in the starting line up.

I think the problem is also Levein's ideas, not necessarily just the footballing ability of the team. But it is far easier to just blame the squad, say it is unbalanced and that it wouldn't matter who was manager, no one would get anything more out this squad.

Milinkovic does seem to have pace yes. On Saturday he also picked up the ball and on about 3 occasions with nobody in front of him and decided to try and cut inside instead of just hitting the byline and putting in a cross. Does he get told to do that by Levein? Maybe, but we don't know so again it's speculation. Callachan I think we agree on. I don't think he's good enough but who does Levein put on instead? Cochrance? For him to be chewed up and spat out by both players and fans at the age of 16? He may well be in the starting line-up next week but since that hasn't happened yet I'll decline to comment. Walker, again, who does Levein put in his place? Bauben? Martin? Who?

You're not giving alternative suggestions, you are just stating what we are all, Levein included, very much aware is wrong with the team. So, if you're Levein, what do you do. That's really what I was asking.

Maybe others have said it wouldn't matter who the manager is but I certainly haven't. There are managers who could likely get more out of them but in my opinion not much more because the overall quality of the midfield is where I think the problems lie.

8 minutes ago, Squirt said:

So Levein done a good job signing those players in your opinion? Berra and, in my opinion, McLaughlin who is also an improvement? You going to give him the credit for those? That's 5 out of a starting 11.

I've already answered and yes I believe Cathro and his coaches would have been given the final say on players put to him whether it be by scouts or the DoF but Cathro was inept in his judgement.  

Once again can you provide anything to suggest that wasn't the case? I'm in no way insisting beyond all doubt that my opinions and my own speculation is correct but I'm willing to back it up with my thought process and explain why I think the way I do which is more than I can say for a lot of other posters on here. (Not directly aimed at yourself)

Of course I’m giving him credit for signing those players you mentioned. But you’re deluded if you think it was Cathro that signed all the players. Look at all the shite players we had before Cathro came in. The recruitment has been a shambles since we got Promoted and Levein has to take sum of the blame. I just hope he’s gets it right in January 

2 minutes ago, Squirt said:

Milinkovic does seem to have pace yes. On Saturday he also picked up the ball and on about 3 occasions with nobody in front of him and decided to try and cut inside instead of just hitting the byline and putting in a cross. Does he get told to do that by Levein? Maybe, but we don't know so again it's speculation. Callachan I think we agree on. I don't think he's good enough but who does Levein put on instead? Cochrance? For him to be chewed up and spat out by both players and fans at the age of 16? He may well be in the starting line-up next week but since that hasn't happened yet I'll decline to comment. Walker, again, who does Levein put in his place? Bauben? Martin? Who?

You're not giving alternative suggestions, you are just stating what we are all, Levein included, very much aware is wrong with the team. So, if you're Levein, what do you do. That's really what I was asking.

Maybe others have said it wouldn't matter who the manager is but I certainly haven't. There are managers who could likely get more out of them but in my opinion not much more because the overall quality of the midfield is where I think the problems lie.

Given the LB issue still exists, have to play Grezelak in my line up, but Milinkovic showed some defensive promise so I think he would cover Grezelak ok:

McLaughlin

Smith     Souttar   Berra   Grezelak

Brandon     Cowie      Milinkovic

Djoum

Lafferty          Isma

Levein acts like he has been an innocent bystander in all of this.When the complete novice Cathro came back from his scouting mission with Grzelak tucked under his arm Levein probably said Well done son" and signed the 2 year contract.

8 minutes ago, the_jailer said:

Of course I’m giving him credit for signing those players you mentioned. But you’re deluded if you think it was Cathro that signed all the players. Look at all the shite players we had before Cathro came in. The recruitment has been a shambles since we got Promoted and Levein has to take sum of the blame. I just hope he’s gets it right in January 

You mean the ones signed by a manager who had a plane flown above the ground because a section of our support deemed him inept and signed, for a second time at a different club, two players when he left, at which point I believe we were sitting 2nd or 3rd in the league as well I seem to remember? Just like Cathro I;m of the opinion Neilson was given the final say on signings.

I think if anything Levein's problem is he has shown too much faith in those he has appointed, which deserves some criticism in itself. All I'm saying is that now he's the man on the touchline and he should be allowed a transfer window to rectify the issues before he's lynched.

Again though do you have anything other than your own speculation to suggest what you're saying is right because I'd honestly love to see it so we can end the debate surrounding it.

1 hour ago, August Landmesser said:

Exactly this. It's hardly rocket science, yet for some on here it seems totally unfathomable.

It's almost as if, no matter what CL says, some folk will jump on him anyway...

Craig Levein had been keen on Cathro for years. Cathro then comes in and is a disaster. How did Levein fail to predict that after years of following Cathro?

27 minutes ago, Squirt said:

The goal against Partick Thistle showed the virtue of being more direct and shooting early. Milinkovic (and plenty of others) too often tries to set up easy chances but loses possession or has a cross blocked. The second half of Barcelonav Internazionale in 2010 is the game to watch to see the advantage of trying a shot. Barcelona only came into the game when they stopped trying to walk it in.

43 minutes ago, the_jailer said:

Sowah was a Neilson  signing, hewas lined up before Robbie left. Martin was a McPhee signing I believe. Stockton was a Cathro signing I believe. Bikey was a cheap punt. Noidea re Grzelak. 

August Landmesser
1 minute ago, Gorgiewave said:

Craig Levein had been keen on Cathri for years. Cathro then comes in and is a disaster. How did Levein fail to predict that after years of following Cathro?

Because he's Craig Levein, not Russell Grant.

Based on Cathro's record & reputation as a coach, and his approach to, and thoughts about, football, it seemed a good idea - a young, exciting, ambitious coach with an experienced support network around him to handle the admin side (players' contracts, scouting etc.)

That EXACT SAME model worked with Robbie, and works all across Europe, and will work again at Tynie - just not with Cathro, who turned out to be out of his depth. It happens to people in jobs sometimes. CL dealt with it quickly, moved on and is now cleaning up the mess.

9 minutes ago, kila said:

Given the LB issue still exists, have to play Grezelak in my line up, but Milinkovic showed some defensive promise so I think he would cover Grezelak ok:

McLaughlin

Smith     Souttar   Berra   Grezelak

Brandon     Cowie      Milinkovic

Djoum

Lafferty          Isma

I still think with that line up our forwards would be just as isolated as always and we'd end up hoofing it.

Grezlak is a terrible player and I've seen nothing to suggest he deserves a start in the team. I think the current setup of having Smith switch sides is the best scenario although in no way ideal, as Levein has mentioned many times. 

Having Milinkovic have to track back and help out, and he would need to do it a lot with Grezlak in the team, seriously hinders the option of a quick counter attack which works against his strengths.

Brandon could be an option in midfield and he looked really good against Partick so no arguments there.

Djoum looked a player 12 months ago but hasn't done anything since really. Had a better game at the weekend but nothing particularly special and I don't think he's the creative player we need in that position, I don't think he has the passing ability to help link Isma and Lafferty with the midfield which I'll keep saying is what I think the problem is. He's also not the strongest and against teams in this league could be bullied off the ball.

We could go round and round all day but bottom line for me is the team needs improved and until that happens it will be difficult to improve results with the current group and so Levein deserves the chance to recruit better players and improve the style of play. If he doesn't then I'll be right on the Levein out bandwagon with a lot of others.

9 minutes ago, Squirt said:

You mean the ones signed by a manager who had a plane flown above the ground because a section of our support deemed him inept and signed, for a second time at a different club, two players when he left, at which point I believe we were sitting 2nd or 3rd in the league as well I seem to remember? Just like Cathro I;m of the opinion Neilson was given the final say on signings.

I think if anything Levein's problem is he has shown too much faith in those he has appointed, which deserves some criticism in itself. All I'm saying is that now he's the man on the touchline and he should be allowed a transfer window to rectify the issues before he's lynched.

Again though do you have anything other than your own speculation to suggest what you're saying is right because I'd honestly love to see it so we can end the debate surrounding it.

Neilson 1st job in management yet he had all the contacts to get players from the Dutch, Polish and Belgium leagues. Neilson leaves and we still sign shite from these leagues. But Levein has nothing to do with signing these players lol. Get your head out the sand

Neilson 1st job in management yet he had all the contacts to get players from the Dutch, Polish and Belgium leagues. Neilson leaves and we still sign shite from these leagues. But Levein has nothing to do with signing these players lol. Get your head out the sand

You have literally quoted my post which states that I believe Neilson would have had the final say. Do they find the players? No. Do scouts/DoF suggest them and say "maybe he could do a job" and allow the manager to make a decision based on the system he is trying to play and the current squad of players that he works with everyday and knows better than anyone else at the club? Yes, that is what I believe is the case based on how every other club with a DoF and scouting network acquire players.

Not once have I said Levein has nothing to do with it. You are being selective in what you choose to respond to.

Why not grab me by the collar and pull my head from the sand by showing me your evidence that proves your speculation is correct and my own is incorrect? 

Portable Badger
2 hours ago, Cut The Crap said:

At these press conferences, why does no one ask him why he allowed such a clearly imbalanced squad to be assembled by his predecessor?

Why is he never called out on the fact that each transfer window finds us desperately needing to re-balance the squad in order to accommodate the current incumbent's preferred style of football?

What has happened to the Principles of Play, which were intended to rid us of this wasteful rip-it-up-and-start-again mentality?

This is a very good point.  Personally I am fully behind the DoF structure, objectives, coaching progression, etc.... but I was shocked at the wholesale changes when Cathro came on-board and then again in the summer.  It just flew in the face of the progression under Robbie and put us back into the 'change the squad' every transfer window.  I guess Craig is now trying to re-establish that original model but having to work with what he let IC leave us with.  I just hope we don't end up with yet another 11 new players this window that require 'settling in periods'. 

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

We tried to fix this mess with a huddy up front, a Man city invalid, a few huddies in midfield and a shite Northern Irish right back. I like the pace of Skinny but he is not the answer to any question.

Skinny must be the answer to the question "who do you like the pace of"? and the Irish right back is not shite, he might not get a game for Brazil but he's a half decent signing, the problem is the lack of desire in this team. 

8 minutes ago, sandylejambo said:

Skinny must be the answer to the question "who do you like the pace of"? and the Irish right back is not shite, he might not get a game for Brazil but he's a half decent signing, the problem is the lack of desire in this team. 

No arguments there.

1 hour ago, Dr Ian Malcolm said:

If he hadn't allowed Cathro to sign the players he wanted he'd have been hounded for not letting him do his job. Can't win with that one.

I agree with the second point, although prior to Cathro this was also partly down to Neilson's readiness to bomb players he didn't think were required before sourcing adequate, nevermind mind better replacements. For example we actively moved on McHattie as Oshaniwa came in without a thought of what we would do for a left back if he was a dud.

Basically attempts at building a squad since coming up have been a disaster, with all three at fault for differing reasons.

The "Levein Model" should have had Cathro fall more or less into step with the established Principles of Play, surely? Given that they had worked together in the past, I'd assumed this was the whole reason Cathro was chosen in the first place.

One of the other main tenets of the Model is supposedly the development of players. I don't see much of that going on, either, certainly not a first-team level. All three head coaches since admin have been like kids at Christmas, discarding players like unwanted toys, rather than coaching them to try and make them better.

Levein looks and acts like he's in the huff at being thrust back into his current role, which is helping no one at the moment. Hopefully he'll regain a bit of his managerial mojo during the transfer window. 

1 hour ago, portobellojambo1 said:

You are right that he recruited players for Ian Cathro, unfortunately Ian Cathro knew feck all about them until they turned up at Riccarton (i.e Cathro didn't ask for them, didn't know there were a couple of people buying them on the back of watching a video in a now demolished office). And as for this bit about Ian Cathro wanting to play differently to the way CL wants to play, does that not smack in the face in terms of the continuity that has been getting lauded for the last 4 years, in that everyone is looking to get the teams from top to bottom playing the same way, unfortunately it ain't the right way but if it is creating some form of continuity, until it reaches the DoF, possibly can be classed as progress.

You seem very sure that Craig has been recruiting all the players without the Head Coach having any say so, and despite what the club say. 

3 hours ago, Cut The Crap said:

Because he will have told them before the interview not to ask that type of question or he will punch their lights out.:laugh:

4 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

You seem very sure that Craig has been recruiting all the players without the Head Coach having any say so, and despite what the club say. 

Was the whole point of having a DOF not to make the change of coach a seamless affair?

You can hardly say that this part of his master plan has worked.

1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

Was the whole point of having a DOF not to make the change of coach a seamless affair?

You can hardly say that this part of his master plan has worked.

You could argue it was extremely seamless now that the DOF is the manager. 

4 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Even ignoring the fact that Levein thinks we need to sign half a team to get us back on an even keel, surely no one can argue that the four week transition from Cathro to Levein was seamless?

Just now, Cut The Crap said:

Even ignoring the fact that Levein thinks we need to sign half a team to get us back on an even keel, surely no one can argue that the four week transition from Cathro to Levein was seamless?

Only the appointement of Daly or McPhee could have possibly made it more seamless. ?

Seamlessness is over-rated imo though 

5 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

You might but I don't.

Just now, davemclaren said:

Only the appointement of Daly or McPhee could have possibly made it more seamless. ?

It might have been seamless if Jack Ross had still been around.

Just now, wavydavy said:

It might have been seamless if Jack Ross had still been around.

That would also be as seamless as Daly. 

2 hours ago, amadjambo said:

I’m encouraged by that article. Levein wants a LB, width and pace, and a goalscorinv midfielder. Exactly what we have been needing for ages. At least we now have a manager that can spot the obvious and will hopefully address these areas.

Amen

7 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

And I thought trolling was against board rules...

:adminpower:

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

That would also be as seamless as Daly. 

I think Jack Ross is proving that he could well turn out to be a decent Coach considering his team are currently sitting 2nd in the Championship.

Daly on the other hand was caretaker for a few games and had Levein and two other coaches to assist and was not appointed perhaps because the owner did not think he was ready.

It could be of course that she felt CL should try and sort out the mess he oversaw that is probably the most seamless of all. The guy that thought it up putting it into action.

maroonlegions
4 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Amen

Then why has it taken THREE years to decide we need a RB??

I’m encouraged by that article. Levein wants a LB, width and pace, and a goalscoring midfielder. Exactly what we have been needing for ages. At least we now have a manager that can spot the obvious and will hopefully address these areas.

The fact that as the above quoted post points out  "AGES"  is a ridiculous situation to be in. 

These areas of the park should have been filled by now.

Outrageous situation to be in for a club of our stature.

Far too much passing of the buck i feel.

2 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I think Jack Ross is proving that he could well turn out to be a decent Coach considering his team are currently sitting 2nd in the Championship.

Daly on the other hand was caretaker for a few games and had Levein and two other coaches to assist and was not appointed perhaps because the owner did not think he was ready.

It could be of course that she felt CL should try and sort out the mess he oversaw that is probably the most seamless of all. The guy that thought it up putting it into action.

I agree that Jack Ross has potential. 

6 minutes ago, Cut The Crap said:

And I thought trolling was against board rules...

:adminpower:

I still think seamlessness is over rated in the appointment of football managers. 

Must remember to post more carefully in future. 

I think Berra is the only player in the squad that I would be even slightly bothered about if he left. We have a squad full of bog standard dross and levein has to take a lot of the blame for that.

Our recruitment since being promoted has been nothing short of woeful. It’s like we are making it up as we go along. 

Its good to to hear levein acknowledge what needs done to rectify things but I’m finding it hard to believe January will sort much.  Not one of the players we signed last Winter was a success and We were told it was due to January being an awful time to sign players. 

8 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I don’t think there is any way back for jack Ross under this regime. 

The game on Saturday will be chronic, just like it was up in Dingwall a few weeks ago and all the subsequent games thereafter. I know 4 season ticket holders who are swerving it on Saturday. If I'm passing Tynie on I may pop in for 5 minutes.

1 hour ago, Gorgiewave said:

The goal against Partick Thistle showed the virtue of being more direct and shooting early. Milinkovic (and plenty of others) too often tries to set up easy chances but loses possession or has a cross blocked. The second half of Barcelonav Internazionale in 2010 is the game to watch to see the advantage of trying a shot. Barcelona only came into the game when they stopped trying to walk it in.

1 hour ago, Squirt said:

I have seen Callaghan for Raith Rovers several times for a over a few seasons, he normally was used deep and he would sit in front of the defence, breaking up attacks, starting counter -attacks with good passes or charging forward himself with the ball and he was very positive and effective in this role. Hearts have not used him in this role and he looks lost, and as a result out of his depth, lacking confidence. Did no one watch him or is it the coaches that are out of their depth, I think he could be a good player for us.

2 hours ago, samcdonald22 said:

I just wonder what would make doubters happy this season, top six, top four, a scottish cup win, where is your "Good season" line?

At this stage of Levein's 5 year grand plan I would have expected us to be challenging for 2nd or at worst 3rd place.  I would have expected us to get out of the LC group and put in a decent challenge for that Cup.  I would have expected a decent challenge to win the SC - although I accept that is subject to the luck of the draw.

Archived