Food you really DO get

Morgan

any chance you can post your wives recipe for the cream cheese pasta, that sounds good

I'd like that too please Bauld.

:thumb:

any chance you can post your wives recipe for the cream cheese pasta, that sounds good

I might not be exact with this, she never measures anything either, but she chops up a couple of chicken breasts and cooks them in a pan with the chilli flakes.

Once they're cooked she adds a full tub of cream cheese. Usually the Philadelphia light sometimes with the added black pepper or chilli. Again measurements determined by quantity of chicken and pasta being used.

Allows it to simmer for a while and while all that is going on cooks a pot of fusili pasta.

She either mixes it all together or serves it with the pasta surrounding on the plate. I prefer it mixed because I fridge the leftovers and the flavour the next day is brilliant.

Sometimes she'll chop an onion and some bell peppers through it as well to add some colour and veg which is very nice as well.

A good non stick pan makes a difference she often uses a wok for the chicken.

It's nice, quick and simple, bit like myself, and after we've both been out working all day it makes for a great meal.

For me:

Curries - especially Indian and Thai.

Steak.

Really well cooked, thin based, wood oven pizza.

Lamb.

Most Mexican food.

Pretty much the same for me.

broth

Chicken noodle soup

King prawn (Thai,Indian,Chinese)

Veg hotpot

Stovies ( pre cooked sausages not the condom covered variety)

Cheese

Poached egg

Dumpling and custard

I normally hold farts for windy days and open spaces.

Elias Henry Furst

Slow cooked beef and red wine.

Stornaway black pudding.

Indian curry.

Chicken cataplana.

Moules Mariniere.

Steak fillet. Rare. Served with a brandy and peppercorn sauce, home made chips and veg which is my usual (and this) Friday night meal. :yum:

Most pasta dishes but not carbonara.

Aw, a good carbonara is a thing of comfort and beauty!! Too many bad ones get cooked is the prob!

Elias Henry Furst

Aw, a good carbonara is a thing of comfort and beauty!! Too many bad ones get cooked is the prob!

The French are to blame!

No creme fraiche!!!!

Eggs, pecorino romano, guanciale, garlic, black pepper, spaghetti.

Absolutely delicious.

Smoked salmon mousse with dill, creme fraiche, lemon.

Chateaubriand (double fillet steak) part roasted with garlic then finished to taste by frying in hot butter. Melts in the mouth.

Serve with herb roast potatoes, parsnip and glazed carrots, Diane sauce (mushrooms, shallots, brandy and cream).

And a bottle of Chateau Musar of a decent vintage.

Followed by French cheese selection, Scottish oatcakes. Baumes de Venise.

Steamed chocolate pudding with Madagascan vanilla custard. Drambuie.

(Unfortunately none of that allowed under my current diet regime).

I think you're probably right BO.

It's about the only pasta dish we can't master at home. The best two we've ever had were in Rome and in Turin.

Believe it or not, there are quite a few restaurants in Nice that serve what they call a Carbonatte. It's a basic like Marguerite Pizza with spaghetti carbonara as the topping. It's actually delicious but it's calorie overload!

The French are to blame!

No creme fraiche!!!!

Absolutely delicious.

Sold! :thumb:

Elias Henry Furst

Sold! :thumb:

Pancetta and Parmesan will do of course. But it mustn't be made with cream.

Comforting satisfaction and surprisingly easy to make well.

Agree with the above, years of badly made and served carbonaras have given it a bad name.

Plenty decent recipes online that are easy to follow.

Hopefully you find one that works.

Pancetta and Parmesan will do of course. But it mustn't be made with cream.

Comforting satisfaction and surprisingly easy to make well.

Agree with the above, years of badly made and served carbonaras have given it a bad name.

Plenty decent recipes online that are easy to follow.

Hopefully you find one that works.

Thanks EHF!

I made a fresh carbonara sauce last week and it was lovely. Family loved it! For me perhaps used a little too much Parmesan but for first time i can't complain!

Branston pickle. Grandmother always used to eat and the look of it always used to put me off. Tried it in a cheese sandwich around Christmas last year and haven?t looked back. Amazing stuff.

Branston pickle. Grandmother always used to eat and the look of it always used to put me off. Tried it in a cheese sandwich around Christmas last year and haven?t looked back. Amazing stuff.

Branston pickle was a real favourite of mine as was Heinz Piccalili.

Great on a cheese 'piece'.

John Gentleman

I miss my late mothers mince and tatties so much! And her Stovies, didn't have plates big enough for me so she would just give me the oven dish.

Aye, but they've got to be cooked in lard. Had a feed of 'stovies' in the Richmond Hotel (Bo'ness) in August. "Unremarkable" would be an understatement. It's the lard that makes them good. Using polyunsaturated vegetable oils just doesn't cut it.

Top of my favourites list is haddock. Best 'white-flesh' fish in the world by a long shot. Closest I've got to it downunder is sub-Antarctic "Orange Roughy". The price tag of around $65 a kilo is a major disincentive though! Not too keen on 'oily' fish ? sardines all the way up to salmon. I'd eat them in an emergency, mind.

I made a fresh carbonara sauce last week and it was lovely. Family loved it! For me perhaps used a little too much Parmesan but for first time i can't complain!

Not such a thing as a little too much Parmesan...love the stuff, even sneek a chunk of it to chew on myself when grating.

Greek food. Nowt I like better than sitting in a taverna looking at the sea eating Greek scran and drinking a freezing cold Mythos.

I love a good roast dinner at the weekend. With the added bonus that the left over roast (if it?s beef or lamb) can be used for brilliant stovies.

A proper cheese burger. Something so satisfying about biting into a really well prepared burger.

Sent from my VFD 600 using Tapatalk

Biltong. :D

Biltong from John Brash butcher up near Murrayfield.

Outstanding [emoji106]

Sent from my VFD 600 using Tapatalk

Big Slim Stylee

For me:

Curries - especially Indian and Thai.

Steak.

Really well cooked, thin based, wood oven pizza.

Lamb.

Most Mexican food.

I miss curry as they're almost universally rubbish out here.

The converse is that obviously the range and different types of Mexican food is unbelievable.

I'll really miss it when we leave. A lot.

chester copperpot

I've been searching for a Chinese chicken curry that I used to love out of Michaels Chinese restaurant.

Never found one until a few months ago oot here in Airdrie.

I swear the amount of currys I have had these past 3 months has been nothing short of a disgrace. The place just amazing

I've been searching for a Chinese chicken curry that I used to love out of Michaels Chinese restaurant.

Never found one until a few months ago oot here in Airdrie.

I swear the amount of currys I have had these past 3 months has been nothing short of a disgrace. The place just amazing

what made it so special?

i do like a curry from the chinese, the different spices and flavour is a nice change from an indian curry

One food I really get is nepalese food, really tasty and never disappoints 

chester copperpot

what made it so special?

i do like a curry from the chinese, the different spices and flavour is a nice change from an indian curry

Probably the vast amounts of MSG but it's just lovely, full of flavour and reminds me of my first one 25yrs ago.

That Victoria Chinese in Restalrig was the bollocks in its time.

As much as I love my spicy food, mince and tatties is the ultimate.

Oh dear. My Argentinian ex used to call it "bolognesa triste" as it is tasteless and lacking in any flavour at all.

Oh dear. My Argentinian ex used to call it "bolognesa triste" as it is tasteless and lacking in any flavour at all.

:D

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

She's right, too.

Absolutely delicious.

Yes!  I copied and adapted Jamie Oliver's carbonara recipe.  Bloody marvellous.  Only eat it about once a year, but it is great.

Never order carbonara out though.  Can't trust that the ***** won't chuck cream or cr?me freche in it.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Yep. We only ate it (not through choice) at my parents house.

Same here, until I asked her to just make chilli con carne instead. I was about 10 and haven't eaten mince and tatties since.

The Old Tolbooth

what made it so special?

Nepalese food is the mutts nuts (not literally!), I absolutely love the stuff! 

Cracking shout

Me and my mates were in York for a lads weekend and decided as something different to go to a Nepalese restaurant for dinner.

Can't remember the name of what I had but it was amazing.

Carolina Reaper Chillis.

The bursd's sister grows them, and they are absolutely wonderful.  Chucked 5 of them into a pot of homemade chilli the other day, and it was ****ing incredible.

I love things that are mentally spicy, but I did make a rookie mistake and licked my lips after chopping one up and putting it on a pizza.  Just about melted my lips clean off :lol:

MacDonald Jardine

broth

Chicken noodle soup

King prawn (Thai,Indian,Chinese)

Veg hotpot

Stovies ( pre cooked sausages not the condom covered variety)

Cheese

Poached egg

Dumpling and custard

I normally hold farts for windy days and open spaces.

Good shout for Chicken Noodle soup and Dumpling and Custard.

Dumpling is also good fried with a breakfast.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

MacDonald Jardine

Did Bowman really try to sneak well done steak into this thread? Be as well voting for beef jerky!

Nothing wrong with well done steak.

Mind you I remember a family gathering years ago when everyone ordered steak and everyone had it well done.

The waiter's face was priceless.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

chester copperpot

Right what do u reckon I should go for. Going to try a Nepalese restaurant in East Kilbride next week and fancy summat hot.

The Old Tolbooth

Right what do u reckon I should go for. Going to try a Nepalese restaurant in East Kilbride next week and fancy summat hot.

Well seeing as you eat insanely hot food (I thought I was bad with Madras!), you'd be better asking the chef that one mate, but you won't regret it, it's like an Indian dish, but better quality.

As an aside, I've started ordering the Pardesi or Saag dishes from the Indian, but getting it Madras strength, absolutely wonderful taste experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chester copperpot

Well seeing as you eat insanely hot food (I thought I was bad with Madras!), you'd be better asking the chef that one mate, but you won't regret it, it's like an Indian dish, but better quality.

As an aside, I've started ordering the Pardesi or Saag dishes from the Indian, but getting it Madras strength, absolutely wonderful taste experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cannae wait man. Will report back next week. No doubt a wee Facebook photo or 2 thrown in ;)

Archived