Best War Films to watch with kids

Sydney

The White Cockade

Indeed, and a simple reply of "the dog's name isn't racist" to the kids' questions isn't perhaps the best one.

great film, one of my favourites but the dog's name is obviously racist

The dog was called [filter edit] because it was black

Back then black people were generally second class citizens and "[filter edit]" was a racist word for black people

but imo they shouldn't dub or change the name when showing the film as it is historically correct and showing

things as they were in the past is not in itself racist

This and This and This.  Watched it when i was around 8 and I must have watched it around 30 times since.  I sat down and watched the last hour or so the other night when i should have gone to bed but it's worth it.

:thumbsup:

The opening to the film is spine tingling, especially the last words from the female narrator and into the title music.

Craig Gordons Gloves

:thumbsup:

The opening to the film is spine tingling, especially the last words from the female narrator and into the title music.

Absolutely. Amazing cast too.  Dirk Bogarde, Sean Connery, Edward Fox, Ryan O'Neal, Robert Redford, Michael Caine, Anthony Hopkins, Laurence Olivier, Gene Hackman, Denholm Elliott, Elliot Gould, James Caan - and probably quite a few more household names. 

Absolutely. Amazing cast too.  Dirk Bogarde, Sean Connery, Edward Fox, Ryan O'Neal, Robert Redford, Michael Caine, Anthony Hopkins, Laurence Olivier, Gene Hackman, Denholm Elliott, Elliot Gould, James Caan - and probably quite a few more household names.

Some cast it was.

It's always a bit more hairs on the back for me because my Dad's cousin was at Arnhem Bridge shown in the film. He was one of the few that actually avoided capture after their brave attempts to hold on gave way.

Always think about him when I watch the film. :thumbsup:

The White Cockade

Where Eagles Date

Great Escape

Breaker Morant

The Cruel Sea

Bridge on the River Kwai

Went The Day Well

Ice Cold in Alex

Zulu

In Which We Serve

Gallipoli

You may notice a bias here:-0)

Cruel Sea.

Sink the Bismarck.

Battle of the River Plate.

U571.

We Dive At Dawn.

Torpedo run.

All good for watching with your boys.

You forgot Run Silent, Run Deep.

Cross of Iron is good.

yabadabadoo1874again

Oh, Battle of the Bulge.

A bit drawn out, but pretty good too!

Robert Shaw singing Panzerleid...what a scene...!!! Great movie...Kellys Heroes...great quotes...why dont you knock it off with them negative waves...

Robert Shaw singing Panzerleid...what a scene...!!! Great movie...Kellys Heroes...great quotes...why dont you knock it off with them negative waves...

Woof, woof, woof!

Over the last week, me and my boys (ages 8 and 10) have settled down and watched The Great Escape, Bridge on River Kwai and the Battle of Britain.  All three of them are great war movies to watch with the boys as there is no gore, not too much death, very little swearing and very little sex/nudity.

What other WW2 films would you recommend?  

Would Dunkirk be ok for boys of that age?

Also, I have been searching high and low for Escape to Victory but can't find it on Netflix or iTunes.  The YouTube versions are cack.  Any suggestions where I can get it?

https://putlocker.sk/watch/victory.l3yn/jz4qj4

Have you seen Das Boot? Really good film

Agreed.

Probably the best film about submarine warfare ever made.

The Trench

All Quiet on the Western Front

Aces High

Breaker Morant

The Long and the Short and the Tall

The Cruel Sea

Beneath Hill 60

War horse is good aswell, I love that film

You can't show that to bairns. It destroyed me and I'm in me 50's. Top film but **** me it's a hard watch.

Sawdust Caesar

The Bridge at Remagen

Murphy's War

To Hell And Back - The true story of Audie Murphy, the most decorated US soldier of the war.

yabadabadoo1874again

Whats the movie where the germans are all stamping their feet on a uboat and singing?

Dunkirk btw .

Battle of the bulge !??

Kelly's Heroes every time, my mates the spitting image of Donald Sutherland & hates being called "Oddball" but thems the breaks! Also Stalag 17, The Devils Brigade & in a couple of years make them watch The Wild Geese, still greet my eyes oot!

The Train starring Burt Lancaster.

The Enemy Below starring Robert Mitchum.

Sands of Iwo Jima starring John Wayne.

Paths of Glory starring Kirk Douglas.

Judgement at Nuremberg starring Spencer Tracy

The African Queen starring Hump hey Bogart

Glory starring Morgan Freeman.

Templeton Peck

Threads and Tumbledown. I must have been about eight when I watched them.

Kids might not sleep for a week mind you...

Edit, just noticed you said WW2...oops

Escape to Victory then ????

Cross of Iron

Escape to Victory

A bRidge Too Far

American Werewolf in London.. (not war but *** great film for kids that age.. As I was when I first saw it..)

Full metal Jacket..

Swearing is part and parcel of war films.. It's up to you the parent to educate the children about context and not swearing in front of teachers or grand parents etc...

War is Hell..

Also another shout for To Hell ad Back.. last film I watched woth my Granny who said it was "a rare watch.."..

Not a huge fan of fairly modern US War Films, but I recently watched "The Thin Red Line" and thoroughly enjoyed that. Watched an Aussie film "Light Horsemen" and enjoyed that as well.

Not a huge fan of fairly modern US War Films, but I recently watched "The Thin Red Line" and thoroughly enjoyed that. Watched an Aussie film "Light Horsemen" and enjoyed that as well.

That's on my list of all time favourite films, not just war films either. Great film

I didnt enjoy the Thin Red Line too much when I first watched it, but loved it 2nd time around after I had learned more about the Pacific war. Great film.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived