Train commute

Riddley Walker

Riddley Walker

I'm starting a new job commuting out of Edinburgh five days a week and will need to travel by train. What's the cheapest way to do this? The Scotrail website is pretty gash for detailed info. Is there some sort of pass I can buy to get a discount?

Thanks in advance train folk.

I'm starting a new job commuting out of Edinburgh five days a week and will need to travel by train. What's the cheapest way to do this? The Scotrail website is pretty gash for detailed info. Is there some sort of pass I can buy to get a discount?

Thanks in advance train folk.

Where are you commuting to and is it Monday to Friday?

A weekly pass(passport sized photo ID required) may be your best option. Unlimited travel between originating and destination stations for 7 days at anytime of the day. Or Flexipasses sold in multiples of ten and valid for 1 calander month from day of purchase. Again valid anytime between originating and destination station. 1 Flexipasses used per journey. So 10 Flexipasses the equivalent of 5 return journeys.

I travel by train every day and normally get a weekly/pass. I'd keep away from monthly/annual passes as I can travel elsewhere from time to time with work and when you add that to days working from home or on holiday you end up with days not used cancelling out and savings you get for buying the longer pass.

As an example my monthly ticket is ?38 odds and daily return is 8.70 so for 5 days travel i'm saving ?4-5 by getting a weekly ticket, take one day off and I'm cheaper getting daily returns that week.

Riddley Walker

Where are you commuting to and is it Monday to Friday?

A weekly pass(passport sized photo ID required) may be your best option. Unlimited travel between originating and destination stations for 7 days at anytime of the day. Or Flexipasses sold in multiples of ten and valid for 1 calander month from day of purchase. Again valid anytime between originating and destination station. 1 Flexipasses used per journey. So 10 Flexipasses the equivalent of 5 return journeys.

Thanks John. It's into West Lothian, an anytime return is about 11.50 I think. Will only be Monday to Friday, generally.

I suppose I'll go into a ticket office at some point and get them to give me an exact quote for the Flexipass or the Weekly one.

Thanks John. It's into West Lothian, an anytime return is about 11.50 I think. Will only be Monday to Friday, generally.

I suppose I'll go into a ticket office at some point and get them to give me an exact quote for the Flexipass or the Weekly one.

I suggest you go into Haymarket. Mid morning/mid afternoon would be good times.

Basic rule of thumb is; buy a weekly ticket, save on one day. Buy a monthly ticket, save on one week, and buy an annual ticket save on one month.

The Flexipass will work better if you have the odd day not travelling.

I travel Armadale to Edinburgh Monday to Friday. I buy a monthly ticket if I'm working the full month. You save a little money on the weekly charge. If I'm having a week off then I'll just buy 3 weekly tickets. Buying weekly/monthly pretty much makes your peak return the price of off peak. I then use my ticket on weekends for games and that makes it even better value.

Are they still trying to charge ?350+ for a monthly Edinburgh to Glasgow pass?

Did this for 3 months last year and I was blown away by the price having just moved up from London where I was paying ?225 per month for my 'whole of London' Oyster.

Did this for 3 months last year and I was blown away by the price having just moved up from London where I was paying ?225 per month for my 'whole of London' Oyster.

That actually doesn't sound that bad to me. I of course factor in the time that road travel would take and the parking costs at the other end. Then there's fuel costs and the actual frustrations that come with driving on your commute.

Sounds like a bargain when I read that over.

Jesus!!

Many years ago I commuted daily from Edinburgh to Glasgow and got a monthly pass that covered the whole of Scotland for ?25.

:wheelchair:  :wheelchair:  :wheelchair:  :wheelchair:  :wheelchair:

I travel Armadale to Edinburgh Monday to Friday. I buy a monthly ticket if I'm working the full month. You save a little money on the weekly charge. If I'm having a week off then I'll just buy 3 weekly tickets. Buying weekly/monthly pretty much makes your peak return the price of off peak. I then use my ticket on weekends for games and that makes it even better value.

This but replace armadale with Bathgate.

Our train network is 3rd world at times compared to what Central London and the greater London area has.

Scotfail has got worse since Abellio took over.

Our train network is 3rd world at times compared to what Central London and the greater London area has.

Scotfail has got worse since Abellio took over.

Agree. However if you listen to the scotrail media and the transport secretary they're the best rail provider in the U.K. I'm not sure who they ask in their surveys, definitely not me.

Rarely use trains, but I have found the Scot Rail website fine.

I think they do a ten journey option, which can. E used any time or route, though I think it has a deadline of a month to use.

There is always Worst Bus, who have actually been OK recently.

I'm around ?330 for my monthly Perth - Edinburgh ticket

I've got an annual pass from Livi N to Edinburgh.  This suits me because:

• it saves me the hassle of buying different types of tickets for different scenarios (days off, etc)
  • I can use it as much as I want - I use it to travel in for home games at the weekends, or if I'm coming into Edinburgh at the weekend for a night out, or even today at lunchtime, when I'll jump on a train to Haymarket and head up to the ticket office for Dundee tickets.

I think if you're only going to use the train for in and out commutes, an annual pass is probably not the way to go.

Out of interest, how much is the monthly pass between Glasgow and Edinburgh, compared to an annual pass?

Archived