SP Points per average salary

Swimmer

Just listening to TalkSport and they mentioned the points per average salary per team. So after a little digging I have pulled a table together showing the SPFL and reported average salaries per player against the points total as of today. As you can see, the ugly sisters are paying way above anyone else in the league with St Johnstone playing way above their wage bill.

Anyone have any opinion on this?

Team                   Ave Salary      Points            points / salary

Celtic                  717860            100                   ?7,179

Aberdeen          134670               70                   ?1,924

Rangers              316888              64                   ?4,951

St Johnstone      47206                55                   ?858

Hearts                86890                46                    ?1,889

Partick Thistle    42671                42                   ?1,016

Kilmarnock        48950                 41                   ?1,194

Ross County       47515                40                   ?1,188

Dundee              61837                37                   ?1,671

Motherwell       49335                 35                   ?1,410

Hamilton           42606                 32                   ?1,331

Inverness CT      53345                28                   ?1,905

Sorry but I couldn't read that.

Celtic 717860 100 ?7,179 

Aberdeen 134670 70 ?1,924 

Rangers 316888 64 ?4,951 

St Johnstone 47206 55 ?858 

Hearts 86890 46?1,889 

Partick Thistle 42671 42 ?1,016 

Kilmarnock 48950 41 ?1,194 

Ross County 47515 40 ?1,188 

Dundee 61837 37 ?1,671 

Motherwell 49335 35 ?1,410 

Hamilton42606 32 ?1,331 

Inverness CT 53345 28 ?1,905 

Say What Again

Celtic's average salary :rofl:

Absolutely astonished at that. Averaging ?15,000 a week?

I'd have called someone a slaver if they'd suggested that figure to me in the pub etc.

What on earth are their top earners getting to offset the likes of Mackay-Steven, Forrest, McGregor, Henderson etc

kingantti1874

Is Aberdeen's salary bill really that much more than ours?

No it's flawed, not all salaries published by the clubs release to playing staff, aberdeens accounts include segments such as retail and hospitality that we have outsourced (but are bringing back in)

jambo-in-furness

Hats off to the Sainties considering especially that this is the fifth year in succession that they're in Europe.

No it's flawed, not all salaries published by the clubs release to playing staff, aberdeens accounts include segments such as retail and hospitality that we have outsourced (but are bringing back in)

:thumbsup:

vegas-voss

Did anyone see the two Manchester clubs average is over ?7m.

As big as Celtic's looks it's scary that even Watford's is over ?2m to dwarf Scotland's biggest club.

Hats off to the Sainties considering especially that this is the fifth year in succession that they're in Europe.

Is it? Pretty sure they weren't in Europe start of this season

Hearts are going to have to increase the average salary payable if we're to put the mediocrity of this season behind us.

jamtartan74

Is it? Pretty sure they weren't in Europe start of this season

5th season out of the last 6. Very decent for a team of their size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hearts are going to have to increase the average salary payable if we're to put the mediocrity of this season behind us.

Or get smarter at recruiting & get better VFM than we are currently.

They could also reduce the number of players

or do a bit of both

Or get smarter at recruiting & get better VFM than we are currently.

That's for sure. Not sure I'd be confident of DoF overseeing such a correction

Seymour M Hersh

I was listening to the guy on talk sport and was thinking this is statistics for statistics sake. Genuinely see nothing worthwhile to take from this info.

5th season out of the last 6. Very decent for a team of their size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had this discussion with a Saints ST holder last week about how they are performing so well given their budget and low attendances. Didn't appreciate me saying they have been punching above their weight for some time now :lol:

MacDonald Jardine

Btw Dundee's average salary!! Seems pretty high considering

Inverness is the one that surprises me.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yeah it's higher than I'd have expected too

Took me a bit of time to understand this, but the final figure quoted per team is not the team's averagre player salary. It is the total salary divided by the number of points that the team have won this season - I think. Therefore it is effevtively calculating the cost per point with regards to player salaries.

Took me a bit of time to understand this, but the final figure quoted per team is not the team's averagre player salary. It is the total salary divided by the number of points that the team have won this season - I think. Therefore it is effevtively calculating the cost per point with regards to player salaries.

Someone's got to say it, might as well be me.

No shit Sherlock.

;)

Ibrahim Tall

Can understand it tbh, they've won a cup recently and at the start of the season you wouldn't have expected them to be anywhere near relegation.

It is 'high' for their attendances but for the best part of a decade they've been top 6 or thereabouts.

It's hats off to Partick this season. Great achievement. Always had good trips through there and they play good football. I'd be surprised if they hang on to their manager much longer.

portobellojambo1

No we don't have to. We have to make sure that we bring in the very best players we can for the salaries we can offer, and get a return for what we are paying out.

Tommy Brown

Someone's got to say it, might as well be me.

No shit Sherlock.

;)

aye, but most of the replies suggest they don't realise that.

Tommy Brown

I was listening to the guy on talk sport and was thinking this is statistics for statistics sake. Genuinely see nothing worthwhile to take from this info.

I tend to agree, table below is better, but the values I don't trust.

Ave/Annual   Ave weekly  Celtic          717,860          13,805 Rangers          316,888             6,094 Aberdeen          134,670             2,590 Hearts            86,890             1,671 Dundee            61,837             1,189 ICT            53,345             1,026 Motherwell            49,335                949 Kilmarnock            48,950                941 Ross Co            47,515                914 St Johnstone            47,206                908 Partick Th            42,671                821 Hamilton            42,606                819

Captain America

It's hats off to Partick this season. Great achievement. Always had good trips through there and they play good football. I'd be surprised if they hang on to their manager much longer.

Recently linked with Swindon in League 1. I doubt he will still be at Firhill by end of 17/18 season.

Been very impressed with what he has done with Thistle. 

Tommy Brown

:toff:

Ave/Annual    Ave weekly  

Celtic                717,860          13,805 

Rangers          316,888            6,094 

Aberdeen        134,670            2,590 

Hearts               86,890             1,671 

Dundee            61,837             1,189 

ICT                     53,345             1,026 

Motherwell        49,335                949 

Kilmarnock        48,950                941 

Ross Co            47,515                914 

St Johnstone    47,206                908 

Partick Th          42,671                821 

Hamilton            42,606                819

Recently linked with Swindon in League 1. I doubt he will still be at Firhill by end of 17/18 season.

I know it's a completely mute point but I'd love to have had him at tynecastle after Neilson. Young manager progressive football and they seem to play for him. They've unearthed some decent talent also.

I know it's a completely mute point but I'd love to have had him at tynecastle after Neilson. Young manager progressive football and they seem to play for him. They've unearthed some decent talent also.

My fear is he will end up in Leith once Lennon has a breakdown after a shite start to the season.

Captain America

He was the replacement I wanted at the time, few posters shot down the suggestion.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Who's earning the big bucks over at Castle Greyskull?

He was the replacement I wanted at the time, few posters shot down the suggestion.

I think the crumb of comfort is it shows if you let a young manager build he can actually improve and get better season on season.

The problem for Partick is can he actually make them better than this season. His stock may be at its highest and if that's his thinking then he may not get an opportunity to get a decent move if he stays.

The Continental Op

Is Aberdeen's salary bill really that much more than ours?

The have a smaller squad than we do - 24 to 29 according to Transfermkt. That boosts their average salary.

Couple of points - 

Surely adding in hospitality workers salaries would reduce the average wage.

The have a smaller squad than we do - 24 to 29 according to Transfermkt. That boosts their average salary.

On the face of it the amount of players shouldn't make any difference to the average salary but I suppose having less of a squad allows them to pay more to these players.

Clint 'grandpa" Hill apparently on 12k pw...now that's funny!

I'd guess Kranjcar, Hill, Rossiter Garner etc. Anyone who signed this summer pretty much.

Who's earning the big bucks over at Castle Greyskull Snake Mountain?

For accuracy's sake . . .

i wish jj was my dad

I wouldn't mind him at Tynecastle.

Couple of points -

Surely adding in hospitality workers salaries would reduce the average wage.

On the face of it the amount of players shouldn't make any difference to the average salary but I suppose having less of a squad allows them to pay more to these players.

Not sure if you are trolling?

If not, I'm genuinely not sure if you understand this yourself, Sherlock? These figures represent...

1. Club's total salary expenditure for the year.

2. Number of SPFL Premiership points won in 2016/17.

3. The cost per point in terms of salary, figure 1 / figure 2.

Now that's clear. If Aberdeen (or any other team) are including the wages of all club staff (i.e. hospitality etc.) then their figure 1 will be inflated, also giving an inflated figure 3, as there will be discrepencies with other clubs who outsource various aspects.

This quite literally has nothing to do with average wages.

Not sure if you are trolling?

If not, I'm genuinely not sure if you understand this yourself, Sherlock? These figures represent...

1. Club's total salary expenditure for the year.

2. Number of SPFL Premiership points won in 2016/17.

3. The cost per point in terms of salary, figure 1 / figure 2.

Now that's clear. If Aberdeen (or any other team) are including the wages of all club staff (i.e. hospitality etc.) then their figure 1 will be inflated, also giving an inflated figure 3, as there will be discrepencies with other clubs who outsource various aspects.

This quite literally has nothing to do with average wages.

With respect - don't talk shite.

1. This is not the total salary expenditure, it is the average salary - do you really think that 42,671 is Partick Thistle's annual salary bill?

This quite literally has everything to do with average wages.

Just to clarify so that you understand - if you include the lower paid club staff (ie hospitality) then figure 1 (the average) salary would drop, as would the figure in column 3.

1. This is not the total salary expenditure, it is the average salary - do you really think that 42,671 is Partick Thistle's annual salary bill?

Just to clarify so that you understand - if you include the lower paid club staff (ie hospitality) then figure 1 (the average) salary would drop, as would the figure in column 3.

But club staff aren't going to be counted as playing staff. So it increases the average.

Just to clarify so that you understand - if you include the lower paid club staff (ie hospitality) then figure 1 (the average) salary would drop, as would the figure in column 3.

You're bang on. I'm talking shite. Sorry.

But club staff aren't going to be counted as playing staff. So it increases the average.

I know, which makes the difference between us and Aberdeen more surprising if as has been said they do include club staff and hospitality and we don't.

I know, which makes the difference between us and Aberdeen more surprising if as has been said they do include club staff and hospitality and we don't.

I think the point is that the average salary of some clubs is too high to begin with.

If Aberdeen's wages produced in their annual account include management, scouts, coaches, office staff, club shop staff and hospitality staff. Then the starting figure is higher when they then divide it by the amount of registered players.

Archived