Chilli con carne

Morgan

A nice rioja does the trick for me. That or a decent shiraz.  Both stand up well to the heat.

Rioja Rob, is the king of red wine.

Estrella is the beer king.

His wee brother Saint Mike is a good wee lad too.

51wwo9.jpg

7 and a half kilos of ingredients went into this :lol:

Having some now and it's wonderful. Will be leaving it out all night as well :smuggy:

Rioja Rob, is the king of red wine.

Estrella is the beer king.

His wee brother Saint Mike is a good wee lad too.

You're not wrong there Morgan.  I do like a good French red, but Rioja is far better value for money in my opinion.  You can get a decent reserva for ?10-12 which is maybe 7 or 8 years old, and you can really taste the benefit of the aging that has taken place, compared to say a similar priced Aussie wine that is 1-2 years old.

You're not wrong there Morgan.  I do like a good French red, but Rioja is far better value for money in my opinion.  You can get a decent reserva for ?10-12 which is maybe 7 or 8 years old, and you can really taste the benefit of the aging that has taken place, compared to say a similar priced Aussie wine that is 1-2 years old.

We pick up very good Rioja here in France for about six euros. Not reserva but entirely drinkable.

We regularly fly to Barcelona (50 minute flight) and get some beauties for maybe four or five euros.

As you say, the age makes all the difference :thumb:

Why? Are you planning on entering it in some kind of competition?

As I said earlier my mate doesn't give out his recipe either. Strange behaviour, I'm hardly going to patent it as my own then sell the bloody thing.

As I said earlier my mate doesn't give out his recipe either. Strange behaviour, I'm hardly going to patent it as my own then sell the bloody thing.

Strange indeed.

Lupe pintos chilli recipe is always a good starting point, which you can adapt to your taste. Important to use their chorizo rather than the supermarket stuff though.

http://www.lupepintos.com/cookbook/mexican-street-food/item/lupe-pintos-famous-chile-con-carne

Lupe pintos what a place.used to go there for a root beer and hearsheys bar when i was younger!

Regal Kingston

My recipe is simple but delicious;

two cloves garlic

mince

1/3 tube of tomato puree

one onion

1 tin of tomatoes

Teaspoon of paprika

chick peas (optional)

kidney beans

brown sauce (couple of squirts)

chillis or pepper sauce.

served with melted cheese and a massive spoonful of cr?me fraiche

Lupe pintos chilli recipe is always a good starting point, which you can adapt to your taste. Important to use their chorizo rather than the supermarket stuff though.

http://www.lupepintos.com/cookbook/mexican-street-food/item/lupe-pintos-famous-chile-con-carne

Lupe pintos what a place.used to go there for a root beer and hearsheys bar when i was younger!

Lupes is owned by a guy called Dougie who used to have the Coconut Grove restaurant in Thornybauk with his wife and his pal Richie.

It was a great BYOB Mexican food place. Anyone else remember it?

Lupe Pintos is a brilliant wee shop.

Lupes is owned by a guy called Dougie who used to have the Coconut Grove restaurant in Thornybauk with his wife and his pal Richie.

great shop, could spend a fortune in there! 

Never went to the resteraunt in question but i do love a mexican, theres an awesome wee mexican on rose street called miros cantina mexicana, the food is incredible, as are the margaritas!

I know him from going into the shop over the years. I remember Coconut Grove but don't think I was ever in there.

I always season the mince on a chopping board with salt, pepper, oregano and a bit chilli powder, rub it in.

Then into frying pan on a medium heat, until almost brown then I chuck it chopped up onion and garlic , turn the heat down a smidge until mince is brown and onion is softened.

Then tomato puree and mix in , tinned tomatoes, let it cook for a few minutes, a bit worcester sauce, then bang in chillis red and green and more seasoning, chuck in a tin of Heinz 5 bean and a bit beef stock, maybe a third.

Voila

Gordon Ramsey wouldnae turn his beak up at it.

I have to confess I usually use those pre-mixes spice packets you can buy but your recipe sounds really good. I will give it a bash (The Shed has been brilliant recently for this type of thing).

Seymour M Hersh

Not exactly chili con canard (sic) but very very tasty. You need a frying pan (10 inch) with a lid.

Chili Skillet -Serves 2

1 tablespoon oil

1/2 cup minced onions

1/4 cup chopped green pepper

1 clove garlic (pressed or chopped)

1/2lb (200gr) lean mince

2 teaspoons chili powder (mild or hot your choice)

1/2 cup V8 juice or tomato juice

1 8oz can red kidney beans

1/2 teaspoon oregano

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup uncooked long grain rice

1/2 cup frozen sweetcorn (or small can)

1/4 cup chopped black olives1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Method

Heat oil in the pan over medium heat. briefly sauce the onions, garlic and green peppers. Push to the side of the pan. Add the mince breaking into chunks then brown the mince. Once browned stir in the child powder and cook for 30 seconds. Add the tomato/V8 juice, undrained kidney beans, oregano, salt and rice. Stir and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Stir in the corn and olives. re-cover and cook for a further 5 minutes. Sprinkle the cheese over the top and cover once more just long enough to melt the cheese.

Enjoy!! 

I use beef and pork mince in a 2:1 ratio

Brown off in a separate pan then combine

Chopped onion

3 cloves of garlic finally chopped

Two standard chillis.

Smoked paprika. Lots.

Oregano. Wee bit

Chilli powder depends on your preference, but less than you think you need.

A strong tasting bottle of hoppy beer. Add about half at first.

Beef stock x 2

Tin or two of tomatoes or passata

Some tomato pur?e

Ketchup (seriously). A good squirt. Get it in there before it cooks down.

Tablespoon of dark cocoa powder

Teaspoon of flour

Four cubes of very dark chocolate at last minute

Simmer the merry **** out of it for 1-5 hours. It's amazing after an hour. Transcendental after 5.

No kidney beans (I don't mind them, but it's better without)

Yogurt, cheese and guacamole + tortilla chips to serve

I use beef and pork mince in a 2:1 ratio

I'm not quoting the whole thing, but that sounds fantastic.

I'll give it a go when this batch is gone!

Archived