Are You Being Served

Stephane Grappelli

Stephane Grappelli

Just... why?

The original was pish enough so why bother making another version?  GTF!!!

Why?

Because people voted Mrs.Brown's Boys as the funniest sitcom of the 21st century. People are idiots.

As superhans put it 'People like Coldplay and voted for the nazis. You can't trust people'

Cairneyhill Jambo

Just... why?

The original was pish enough so why bother making another version?  GTF!!!

I bet you've never even seen the original series.

The White Cockade

Aye, Porridge is as bad, Jesus what a bloody waste of money.

are you saying the original Porridge was bad?

one of the best comedies ever

As superhans put it 'People like Coldplay and voted for the nazis. You can't trust people'

i once got slapped from a woman for saying Coldplay are everything thats wrong with music.

Jambof3tornado

The originals were 2 of the best comedies on when I wur a lad!!

Porridge still is my all time favourite comedy tv show.

are you saying the original Porridge was bad?

one of the best comedies ever

No, the remake, it was on after the "Are you being served" the original was and is a classic, I still watch the repeats when they're on.

Stephane Grappelli

I bet you've never even seen the original series.

I have, unfortunately! Sheer garbagio!!!

...a bit disco

Times change.

Take out the misogyny (which they will) and ramp up the homosexuality (which they also will) and you don't even have the same programme.

Pointless.

Maroon Sailor

AYBS remake was ruined by the fact Young Mr Grace wasn't in it - mind you nobody could be better at that part than Harold Bennett and out of the actors in this only Roy Barraclough does a good job of his character.

The AYBS reboot was embarrassing.

Back in the day Mrs Slocombe had a very amusing pussy and Mr Humphreys was usually good for a laugh but updating it was daft.

Updating it to 1988 is even dafter.

Bridge of Djoum

Aye, Porridge is as bad, Jesus what a bloody waste of money

Porridge is one of the finest British comedies.

Not an opinion, fact.

Doctor FinnBarr

Porridge is one of the finest British comedies.

Not an opinion, fact.

True, as was Dads Army but the all time great was Fawlty Towers

Bridge of Djoum

I'm a Yes Minister man myself. Fawlty Towers was a great too.

Doctor FinnBarr

I'm a Yes Minister man myself. Fawlty Towers was a great too.

Wasn't too keen on Yes Minister then Yes Prime Minister

Bridge of Djoum

Wasn't too keen on Yes Minister then Yes Prime Minister

I never got it when I was younger, too young maybe.

Stumbled across it again about 10 years ago, just thought it was one of the funniest things I'd seen.

Sir Humphrey's long winded speeches, Hacker's response to them, Bernard Wooley trying not to laugh.

Top quality writing.

Unlikely anything could beat the 6 episodes of this for extended original genius in writing, John Cleese is funny, but with his then wife Connie Booth, they were hilarious. 

At least with Porridge, they used different characters, all be it, they tried to make them carbon copies of the original (pretty much unsuccessfully). Not great, but some effort was there.

AYBS was simply dreadful.

Slightly off topic.

I had a dream the other night where I met Rowan Atkinson. However he was a giant. I mean 8 ft tall easy. It was the strangest dream I have ever had because I new that he wasn't 8 ft tall but there he was in my dream standing over me with his arm out to shake it.

Back to topic. I believe the BBC are doing all these classic remakes to celebrate X number of years of British comedy or something along those lines? Should they be left alone? Probably. Dads Army was made into a film recently. Havent seen it but why not just leave these classics alone?

The Treasurer

I noticed that part of this season of comedy remakes they are showing a remake of the greatest comedy character ever in Alf Garnett.

Unfortunately I fear it will be watered down so much as to be a pale shadow of the original classic

Mac_fae_Gillie

Actually liked it in its day but it is dated, least the Dads Army movie was set in a different era so remake not awful idea but to remake AYBS which thrived upon been not PC would be fatal error.

No issues with a similar style sitcom been produced for a new audience but rebooting old classics is not always wise,

It'll win less awards than Miss Slocombes pussy.

Maroon Sailor

Remakes will never beat original successful sitcoms

All the audience does is compare the two instead of seeing the remake for what it is

I refused to watch these last night, going by this thread, I made the correct decision.

A few years back, Reginald Perrin was re-hashed with Martin Clunes, again, I never watched it, as I failed to see WHY?

Was I correct with the re-make Reggie series, did anyone watch it on here?

Not see the Dad's Army film, but I did watch the BBC special docu-drama on the making of the original series, that was very good.

John Sessions portrayal of Arthur Lowe was incredible.

Maybe you had turned into a dwarf and Rowan Atkinson was his normal size.........

Possibly? I didn't feel particularly dwarf like? 

doctor jambo

Some things are best left alone- they are of their time and defy update.

The reboots should be filed alongside the new "Ghostbusters"

Maroon Sailor

I refused to watch these last night, going by this thread, I made the correct decision.

A few years back, Reginald Perrin was re-hashed with Martin Clunes, again, I never watched it, as I failed to see WHY?

Was I correct with the re-make Reggie series, did anyone watch it on here?

Not see the Dad's Army film, but I did watch the BBC special docu-drama on the making of the original series, that was very good.

John Sessions portrayal of Arthur Lowe was incredible.

Forgot about that Reggie Perrin remake until I read your post. It was utter utter pish and I mean utter pish !

Slightly off topic.

I had a dream the other night where I met Rowan Atkinson. However he was a giant. I mean 8 ft tall easy. It was the strangest dream I have ever had because I new that he wasn't 8 ft tall but there he was in my dream standing over me with his arm out to shake it.

Back to topic. I believe the BBC are doing all these classic remakes to celebrate X number of years of British comedy or something along those lines? Should they be left alone? Probably. Dads Army was made into a film recently. Havent seen it but why not just leave these classics alone?

I think the most popular will get a series 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Just... why?

The original was pish enough so why bother making another version? GTF!!!

I know. Horrendous first time around.

i thought this remake would be horrendous but I actually found it pretty funny. Porridge remake was lame though.

punkrockcroc

What a shame, racism is just so hilarious.

They're gonna remake love thy neighbour with Nick Griffin as Eddie Booth and Mo Farrah as Bill.

Maroon Sailor

They are making another Mary Poppins film with Emily Blunt as MP

For classics like this there is no need as the originals are timeless.

I would like the bbc to bring back ain't half hot mum but saying that they won't because it ain't pc like allo allo.

I would like the bbc to bring back ain't half hot mum but saying that they won't because it ain't pc like allo allo.

I get a box set every xmas for the last few years. Porridge, Father Ted, Dad's Army. This year it will be It Aint Half Hot Mum. Porridge and Dad's Army, IMO are the greatest meetings of script and casting ever. Just perfect, even the minor characters. Father Ted is just hysterically funny.

I get a box set every xmas for the last few years. Porridge, Father Ted, Dad's Army. This year it will be It Aint Half Hot Mum. Porridge and Dad's Army, IMO are the greatest meetings of script and casting ever. Just perfect, even the minor characters. Father Ted is just hysterically funny.

I am like that as well for the last ten years I have been collecting comedy dvds like only fools,fawlty towers and Steptoe and son. I like American sitcoms also like Seinfeld and everybody loves Raymond and the crowned jewel Frasier.

Any potential remakes of classics should have been knocked on the head when they had Ant and Dec do the 'Whatever Happened to The Likely Lads' episode where they are trying to watch the England game without knowing the score. One of the funniest half hour's of TV you will ever see and they pair of arseholes tortured it.

I enjoyed AYBS, full of smutty innuendos, my kind of humour. Thought all did their part well, too much ruddy pc pish about these days. Still enjoy watching the original early episodes.

Not saying it needs brought back but as a one off tribute it gets the thumbs up, sure Mrs S`s pussy was purring when watching. Also I had a short but enjoyable 6 months in A&N in George Street over 10 years ago and it really was like that.

The originals were 2 of the best comedies on when I wur a lad!!

Porridge still is my all time favourite comedy utv show.

Totally agree.....they held a special place on the weeks TV...

I noticed that part of this season of comedy remakes they are showing a remake of the greatest comedy character ever in Alf Garnett.

Unfortunately I fear it will be watered down so much as to be a pale shadow of the original classic

Yes, first comedy memories steptoe and son and Alf and his "silly old moo"

Porridge was only second to my all time favourite...,...Rising damp. My folks took in some dodgy lodgers in the 70s, and watching the repeats at 5pm each day brings back memories.

I think the main problems trying to copy these classics are the original stands alone, and in the Political correct world of today..........every racial/sexual/comedic influence would be jumped upon.......,

Bridge of Djoum

I am like that as well for the last ten years I have been collecting comedy dvds like only fools,fawlty towers and Steptoe and son. I like American sitcoms also like Seinfeld and everybody loves Raymond and the crowned jewel Frasier.

Frasier, IMO, is the finest American sit-com. 

I've really tried to like Seinfeld, watched so many episodes. Never once have I laughed. I just don't find him, or his writing funny. Kramer is kinda funny though.

Regal Kingston

As David Baddiel said in the 1990's after the AYBS sequel 'Grace and Favour' came out (Paraphrasing here);

"In the 1970's a pussy innuendo was mainly about a cat with just an undercurrent of vagina...these days it's the other way round and Mollie Sugden has just came on to my TV and announced that her gash is dripping."

20 years later there is practically zero undercurrent of cat!

Mac_fae_Gillie

Watched this on Iplayer ok as a one off but please do not go any further.

Set in 1988 (wow I was a mere 20) about 5 years after original all the old cast except Mr Lucas, funny enuff the youngest are still there.

Thought the women were spot on but Peacock was poor,Humphries was hard to pull off(hehe) and the remaining cast were always 2nd tier,

It was loyal to the original in content with a few mentions of Mrs Slocombes cat.

Patience. Writers not allowed to develop their characters. Like coffee it has to be instant. If ratings are considered poor for the first series(note the omission of the word season) then no way will a second be given the go ahead as the men at the top are scared. Yet it shouldn't matter at the BBC as they do not have advertisers to appease.

Archived