18 years ago today - THIS was the game in which Hearts finally gave up their addiction to lost causes

Hearts Heritage

My dad managed to get tickets for this the day before for me, him and my brother. I was only 11 but knew how much it meant to my dad as he always told me about 86. Our day started of at Ratho and getting the supporters bus from there, me thinking I could get drunk off ginger beer. I can still remember being on the bus and the streets being lined with celtic fans who wanted us to win for once. It was an unbelievable start to the game then when they second went in, it went insane. My dad turned round for the last 5 minutes as he thought rangers would equalise. The foul on mccoist nearly had him in tears, then when we realised it was a free kick, it felt like we had scored!

Gorgie was bouncing when we got back then the parade just topped off what was a weekend that will live with us forever. I'm so glad I have been at the 5-1 final with him and watched the Gretna final in Robbos, he calls this a golden time for hearts and to appreciate it. He's seen the bad times, losing in finals, losing the league so knows pain!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Born on the 16th of May . I always asked my Dad what was iit like to win the cup He said when it comes it will be like something out of this world like walking on air.

That day after on the Sunday walking along Gorgie road i looked down  and my feet did not touch the ground due to the bottles of drink and cans  { a carpet of JOY] .

Dad you were right  i was walking on air  .HEARTS FOREVER.

I couldn't go, having lived through the 80s and early 90s I just couldn't watch them lift another trophy. Remember my sisters and father heading off. Even as a complete atheist I prayed to God that I just wanted my father, who was only 46,to see hearts lift a trophy.

I couldn't even watch, I listened to the game on a radio down the park and remember going over the back off the half pipe, about 15 foot, and just sinking to my knees in tears at the final whistle.

The next day, I found a spot high up at the bottom of the castle in prince's street gardens, rolled a joint and just watched the whole place turn maroon and white.

Completely welled up reading this thread.

I was 22 and getting to the point that I didn't think we'd ever win anything. God knows how guys 20 or 30 years older felt. By far my best day as a Hearts supporter.

19/5/12 is up there, but being a Hearts supporter isn't about beating Hibs.

Maple Leaf

That game is the most nostalgic for me.  My dad was the most dyed-in-the-wool Hearts supporter I've ever met, but he had seen very little success on the field despite having followed the team for about 70 years.

In 1998 he was very ill, and we all knew that time was running out for him.  When the final whistle blew we wept because we were all too aware that he would never see another cup win.  Three months later he was gone.  It was the last game we watched together.

It was a memorable victory, but almost all my memories of that day are sad ones.

Remember feeling we were going through to Glasgow for another drubbing, especially after the 5-1 drubbing in the previous attempt. Got into Celtic park to see the magnificent Hearts support, felt there was something special in the air. Just got to my seat, Fulton goes down, Young points to the spot, Mickey steps up and slots it home, delirium!

Still winning at half time, starting to believe but still that nagging doubt that all Hearts fans felt at the time due to the years of disappointment. Amaruso lets it run! Stephen Adam is on to it in a flash! Shoots! Feck me, it's in! Pandemonium!

McCoist pulls one back. The real nerves kick in. Stomach full of knots. Grown men head to the toilets to hide, can't take the strain.

McCoist running into the box, brought down, Willie Young is running forward, right arm outstretched, finger pointing. Noooooooo! Wait, is it a penalty? Gives a free kick on the edge of the box. Nerves are shredded, people have chewed through there fingernails and are now starting to reach bone. The free kick comes to nothing. The Hearts support breathe a collective sigh of relief. Only eight and a half more hours of injury time to go, maybe it's our day.

Injury time goes on forever, men who came to the game clean shaven are now sporting full beards. Finally Young blows his whistle! We've done it! Ninety percent of the Hearts support is in tears, the other ten percent are so frozen in shock that their tear ducts are paralysed. Friends hugs friends, and strangers, and stewards. We've actually won the cup!

The Hearts players are saluted by their faithful following, the Rangers fans to their credit salute them too. Fulton lifts the cup, cheers erupt, Gary Locke in his suit, wee Robbo finally get a trophy in the twighlight of his magnificent career. J.J's done it, he's achieved what we all thought was impossible.

Forty two years of hurt gone in three blows of a whistle. Let the party commence!

I'm reading this wearing a Fitbit and it's showing my heart rate st 127 bpm

SeagoingJambo

I had just got home from being at sea and did not have a ticket to see the game but watched it on the TV.

The next day I was at the top of MacLeod Street and waiting with my wife and kids for the team bus to arrive and turn down into the ground.  I was thinking that by the time the bus arrived the team would be quite blas? about it all and would be somewhat laid back. Not at all!!  I can still see the bus turning round the corner and the whole Hearts team going just ballistic ... especially JJ. I couldn't stop myself chanting "Puskas, Puskas!!! while my family wondering why I was doing that (older members will remember that was his nickname when he was our full-back).

I also said one of the most stupid things I have said to my wife. I saw Scott Crabbe standing near us and waiting to cheer the team bus while wearing his Hearts scarf  (think he was playing for Falkirk by then) . I pointed him out to my wife and said "there's Scott Crabbe!"   She said "where?"   Trying to be helpful I said "Over there ... look! .. wearing the Hearts scarf"   It was a pretty stupid thing to say when the place was just a sea of Jambos wearing Hearts scarves. She teased me about it for years afterwards and kept telling people about it  :)

We went to see my parents in Baberton on the way home. My Mother recounted how she was pushing me home in my pram to our house in Wardlaw Place in Gorgie in 1956 after Hearts winning the Cup. She got caught in the crush and my pram was knocked over. She said she screamed and the next second the crowd lifted the pram and I over their heads and passed the pram "hand over hand" to a safe place. Dad said that the pram was maroon coloured so the crowd would have liked that.

Many thank to all the posters.

I am sitting on a ship in Mobile USA (still working on ships,) typing this and filling up due to the emotion of it all and my Dad's no longer being with us.

RIP Dad

Seagoing Jambo

Hector Riva

Today I was on the roof of the toilets at the foot of Armillan terr Gorgie road with my 10 year old laddie for hours waiting on the open top bus :)

:sweeet:  :walk_man:  :jambobanana:  :flagwave:

I was 22 and getting to the point that I didn't think we'd ever win anything. God knows how guys 20 or 30 years older felt. By far my best day as a Hearts supporter.

I often consider this fact too - I was only 16 years old at that point, so was still relatively young in terms of my Hearts supporting days - but even at such a young age and with so few years of disappointment under me - I still knew what it meant. I think it was being surrounded by those folk who were the 10, 20, 30 years older than me that really drove home just how special that moment was.

You could just feel it...... even at 16 years old you could feel the weight of the burden of every single one of those years of disappointment lifting from everyones shoulders.

Some absolutely cracking posts in this thread go a long way towards describing that feeling - but no words will ever do it 100% justice.

I remember sitting on our bus coming home and there was that kinda surreal silence and element of 'what the feck just happened' - but the closer we got to home the more it started to sink in and the more the realisation of what we'd done became clear - every single overpass on the M8 had folk waving and cheering and clapping us all home - the supporters were welcomed back like frickin heroes as well that day and by the time we got off the bus at Haymarket and started to walk up Dalry Road - it was full on party mode from there on in.

Absolutely incredible scenes that will never ever be replicated.

I threw my scarf on the pitch and Jim Hamilton is wearing it in a lot of the after match photos. Left myself with nothing to do the twirly with. Had to use my shirt. 

Apologies to all affected by my actions on that day.

N Lincs Jambo

Totally amazing day(s). Went through by car on the Saturday with my mrs and Paris Jambo and parked in an area we would not normally park when going to Parkhead. Approached this game in a funny place mentally, ie for once I wasn't absolutely shitting myself (unlike the last 10 mins) before a cup final.

This was the 3rd final v Rangers in my lifetime: I had been at Hampden in 76 just short of my 13th birthday but had missed the game in 96 as Hampden's capacity had been reduced to around 38K for the game. For once it just felt like a no-lose situation. Got to the ground and found our seats. Top tier but near the front around level with the 6-yard box at the end they were still redeveloping. Watched as the ground filled up and thinking it would be some place when they finished it.

Then it kicked off. Hearts went on the attack, Fulton got tackled and Young points to the spot. PENALTY! I had no idea from where we were if it was justified or not but it had been given. We had been given a penalty in the Weeg against one of the OF in a cup final. Unbelieveable!

Cameron steps up and scores. What an amazing penalty that was - totally cool as....

Jefferies reportedly said to BB, "How long to go?". He wasn't the only one having that conversation.

Fast forward to half-time. Can't remember feeling we were going to lose which is a rare feeling against them. 2nd half starts and before too long Stephane Adam slides one past Goram. 2-0 v them in a final. Dreamland! Then Flogel gets a free header 6 yards out. 3-0! Bollox, straight at Goram!

At that point I don't think I would have been the only Jambo thinking that was the chance to finish it and we blew it. My mate says "just as long as it stays 2-0 we'll be ok". Then that wee b@st@rd McCoist gets one back with arguably too long to go.  Then their shout for a pen. There was a lass in front of me breaks down in tears as she saw Young point just as he had done in the 1st minute. When the confusion ended, I says to her, "he's no given it, just a free kick", It still didn't calm her down. Then what seemed like 20 mins of Fergie time till the whistle finally went. 4 days short of my 35th birthday I had finally seen the only team that matters to me win a trophy.

I had been at the Texaco final in 71 against Wolves, Hampden 76, Dens and Hampden 86, LC final 96 and finally we have done it. Like many on here, I never thought I would ever see us win anything in my lifetime. We now have 3 Scottish Cups and I'm still early 50s so time for a few more.

Trip back to Edinburgh was subdued as i think we had left all our emotion at Parkheid but then I got a call just as we were coming off the motorway from an old mate of mine and ST holder at Ipswich. He just wanted to know if I had watched it. "Feck yeah, just on our way back now!". I couldn't stop babbling complete shite over the phone "greatest day ever......."

Then we arrived in Edinburgh. Would normally go along the Corstorphine Road but this time went Calder Road in case the team bus was coming back that way. What scenes! The fire engines out, and literally thousands of people welconing US back. Christ knows why, we were only there as supporters but what an amazing feeling.

Got to Gorgie Road and walked along to the ground. Totally packed but could only imagine it had been bedlam earlier on. Saw one guy (early 20s) in a Rangers top and by looking at the blood on his face it looked like something had kicked off but he was ok now and still with some Jambo mates. Even saw a young kid around 6 or 7 in full Hibs strip. He'd obviously been taken along by his dad.

Then the team bus arrived, slowly making its way along the road. Could see the lads had already been partying, and why not! The end of an amazing day and the start of a truly amazing night. OF fans will never ever get that feeling unless they go 3 or more decades winning SFA. That's why it's so great being a Jambo. Despite all the heartache over the years, feelings like that day just can't be beaten.

Geoff Kilpatrick

The one regret I have is that we missed the team arriving in Gorgie as we were delayed thanks to an Orc tanning the bus window. That said, the team bus overtook us on Calder Road and we were hanging out the space where the window was celebrating with the team banging the bus windows back at us!

queensferryjambo

HMFC_15.jpg

I still have the T Shirt the players are wearing in this picture - Hearts never had anything ready for if they won the cup but one clever street vendor did. The club bought them from the street vendor in the end.

queensferryjambo

HMFC_13.jpg

For anybody interested Stepane Adam's cup final tracksuit top (same as the ones being worn in this photo) is currently being raffled for Marie Curie by a close friend of his. There are details on the Heart of Midlothian Football shirt Collectors facebook page. Some other nice Heart prizes as well.

Fitzroy Pointon

sc25.jpg

The t-shirt second from the left, that's the one I got that day.  Always thought the white ones were official, didn't know they had come from a street vendor.  

As many of the other older ones on here have said we were collectively like Spike Milligan after the final whistle :-  "what are we gonna do now? what are we gonna do now?"
I have up on the wall a framed phot from the next day my eldest (he was 6 at the time) on my shoulders outside Merchi Hearts. He still has the bruises from asking "Does this happen every year Dad?"
Work on Monday morning with Jambo champagne corner at 7:30 on the second floor of Fettes
4 hour lunch in the Cumberland beer garden starting at 11
H1b5 boss just sat grumping at his desk all day
Reading "that will be the day" and like loads of others big lump in thoat and vision a bit watery

Hearts Heritage

The t-shirt second from the left, that's the one I got that day.  Always thought the white ones were official, didn't know they had come from a street vendor.  

Drew got that one from a van on Dalry Road on the Saturday night.

queensferryjambo

As many of the other older ones on here have said we were collectively like Spike Milligan after the final whistle :-  "what are we gonna do now? what are we gonna do now?"

I remember how hot it was that day and exiting the back of the stand at Parkhead was like a sauna as it was so packed and the singing and celebrating was wild.

We walked back to Queens Street station and after leaving the bulk of the Hearts support we walked almost silent until the train station (a bit of that was probably due to passing some unsavoury Celtic fans hanging about outside the Gallowgate pubs who even though Rangers had lost they were still very threatening). Even the train journey back was a bit subdued on the way home to Edinburgh.

Getting off at Haymarket then going back up to Gorgie to see the bus come back with the team was absolutely chaotic and fantastic.

I will have to try and dig out my photos from the weekend and post them up.

As a shareholder I was entitled to the chance to purchase a ticket (or two, possibly?). I did, but knew I wouldn't be making the trip down from Shetland as I just didn't want to be a jinx again until that monkey was off our backs. So my ticket went to Keith - a friend of a friend. I think I finally met Keith after 2006 when I did have the testicular fortitude to make it to a final.

I sat and watched the game from the sitting room floor clutching a plastic duck - still haven't worked out why. I got my two boys (7 and 5) through or the trophy presentation so they could share it with me. Went out and played football at night - winning 3-2 and got terribly pished on the way home due to Belhaven and tequila slammers. I remember lying on our garden path and watching the stars swirl around above me.

I sat and watched the game from the sitting room floor clutching a plastic duck

:rofl:

Craig Herbertson

Today I was on the roof of the toilets at the foot of Armillan terr Gorgie road with my 10 year old laddie for hours waiting on the open top bus :)

:sweeet:  :walk_man:  :jambobanana:  :flagwave:

I was just to the left, below you.

I watched the game in Manchester. Even watching on the telly with two neutrals I was a wreck. As soon as McCoist came on I thought it was all over, the usual gut wrenching disappointment. The last ten minutes were the worst footballing torture I've ever endured.

At the final whistle I was like a lemming. Had to sober up. Mates wondering why I wasn't even really celebrating, just in a kind of stupor. Even though they were huge football fans and great friends you can't explain that kind of emotion to anyone but a Hearts fan. Got my coat, jumped in to the 50 quid car and set off for Edinburgh through the night.

The closest I'll ever come to feeling religious is the sight of that shining silver cup slowly weaving its way through the crowds towards Tynecastle.

Fitzroy Pointon

Courtesy of the London Heart's website.  

This, in my opinion, is the best picture of the whole weekend.  I can see myself in front of the bus shelter with my crappy blue Diadora cap I wore to every game that season :rofl:

What a day.  

HMFC_10.jpg

Fort Vallance

Willie Young speaking at a dinner I'm going to next month. I'll be sure to thank him for being brave enough to make two correct decisions.                      Then I'll ask him why he gave us **** all for the next five years.

Best ever. Will never forget that day. Just amazing memories and after all these years of close things it meant so much.

Love this video. Robbo showing his medal "18 years it took me". The team bus singing the Hearts song, the brilliant scenes on the approach to and on Gorgie Road and the parade on Sunday.

If you want the full Neil Pointon video footage of the weekend from pre match meal to celebrating at Tynecastle on the Sunday.........there are 10 videos each last about 9-10 minutes.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Best day of my life. The day I stopped feeling hurt and bitter

Fantastic day, took my 11 year old daughter with me, her first cup final, she has now been to three big cup finals and seen the Famous win each time. However this was the biggest for me, after not having seen us win anything since beating Kilmarnock in the early 1960's in the wee cup final at Hampden.

Only regret was it was not at Hampden!

Great stories on this thread - a great day/weekend but with the sadness of family and friends no longer with us.

I can't remember much of the day. Caught early train up to Glasgow and got a taxi to the ground. I remember going past pubs/tenements with huge Rangers flags hanging out of the windows and massive speakers outside blasting out songs.

Had a horrible feeling towards the end of the game that Rangers were going to ruin things for us again. My mate fell over the seats backwards celebrating at the end.

Got a bus back to the train station and remember Celtic fans out on the street waving as we went past.

Went straight into Ryrie's at Haymarket back in Edinburgh. Had never been in there before or since.

Beats every other Hearts game I've been to. There was a lot of pent up emotion in the support of that time. I think that's why it meant so much. We should do it again sometime.

Great stories on this thread - a great day/weekend but with the sadness of family and friends no longer with us.

I can't remember much of the day. Caught early train up to Glasgow and got a taxi to the ground. I remember going past pubs/tenements with huge Rangers flags hanging out of the windows and massive speakers outside blasting out songs.

Had a horrible feeling towards the end of the game that Rangers were going to ruin things for us again. My mate fell over the seats backwards celebrating at the end.

Got a bus back to the train station and remember Celtic fans out on the street waving as we went past.

Went straight into Ryrie's at Haymarket back in Edinburgh. Had never been in there before or since.

Beats every other Hearts game I've been to. There was a lot of pent up emotion in the support of that time. I think that's why it meant so much. We should do it again sometime.

Great post.

Was your mate ok? ?

Great post.

Was your mate ok? ?

My mate was fine. He was and still is a strapping lad so it was the seats and people behind us that we're in more danger :)

peebles jambo

What a day!

Will NEVER be topped. Not even winning the league would top that day IMO.

Mad to think that a large number of the current generation of supporters wont have been at this game or aware of its enormity..... no words I put here can really do it justice or properly describe it.

agreed, me and my  mate bubbling like bairns after final whistle , first time i'd seen them win anything, great

Archived