Is Robbie maybe just not tactically aware?

lost in space

Tiberius Stinkfinger

After reading the Shite posted on here recently its a bit rich questioning the Head Coaches intelligence.

As for "over thinking" football matches :rofl:

I see others have decided to have a go at your post - Well more fool them.

I am beginning to wonder if some Supporters lack the same passion, and just stick their head in the sand.

Anyone who went to ICT and Motherwell away, imo would agree with you!!

This.

It seems with some supporters there are certain players who can do wrong while other team mates get slagged off for the slightest thing.

The OP made a good post about his opinion some of which I agree with, some I don't, but the mere hint of criticism of the likes of Buaben, Walker etc is almost enough to start World War 3 on here.

FWIW I think the 1st sub that needed to be made on Saturday was Walker, followed closely by Cowie.  After that anyone, apart maybe from Kitchen, would have done.

To get back to the point of the post RN definitely does not come across as inspirational and despite our 3rd position there are many games that were there for the winning and we did not do so.  Some of his apologists claim CL's influence runs through the team but they don't seem to do that when we win.

gowestjambo

Did anyone come away from either of those two games saying, "christ I wish we had Yogi/Mcghee as our manager" (as the OP seems to suggest)

I very much doubt it.

I have no idea what they thought about either of them. What they were certain of is they witnessed 180 minutes of clueless, uninspired and a lack of effort.

Robbie is learning his trade. He's made great progress. We don't have the spending capacity of Chelsea. We've got a young squad. We've qualified for Europe on our return to the top-flight. We've finished third. We have the third best goal difference in the league.

And folk what to bin the manager for a few low points, get a grip.

Disco Dave

Robbie is learning his trade. He's made great progress. We don't have the spending capacity of Chelsea. We've got a young squad. We've qualified for Europe on our return to the top-flight. We've finished third. We have the third best goal difference in the league.

And folk what to bin the manager for a few low points, get a grip.

I dont think there are many who are calling for his head. Merely looking at the players we have and quite rightly in my opinion, expecting a bit more/better at times.

I just don't get where the entitlement within the Hearts support has come from this season.

I'm not going to pull out the "2 years ago" chat but even regardless of administration and all that happened over the last few years since when was 3rd in the league not a good result for Hearts? Yeah Rangers weren't in the league but why does that mean that the board owe us 2nd place? Aberdeen are a decent side. If you want to put on your blinkers and deny that then go ahead but that doesn't change the facts. They've done well and, for the time being, are better than us over the course of a season and so they came 2nd, and we came 3rd. If you can't handle that then you're watching the wrong sport.

"But the league was shit and we should have challenged"  Was it? Aberdeen, St Johnstone Ross County and the like I'd say have done a great job of strengthening and stabilizing in recent years and deserve to be where they are. Celtic have a team that cost them millions of pounds and a wage bill that must be at least 4x higher than Aberdeen or ourselves so how can we possibly hold Neilson to account for not challenging a team like that with the players and budget he has available to him?

There's a new breed of Hearts fan coming through just now. They want it all, and they want it now.

I know football fans are fickle, but there's something different about Hearts fans just now. The honeymoon period is over for the people in charge and regardless of their past and all they have done for us we will throw them under the bus at the first sign of diffculty, as our fellow Jambos have been proving to us with the way they call for the head of a manager who just got 3rd in the premiership the first time of asking.

Good luck Ann, you're going to need it!

Bluesy1874

I think people forget that this is only Robbie's second season in charge of a football team He has never managed at this level before and sometimes his inexperience shows and his tactics do not work but he has to lose games to learn and we need to accept that as much as it ruins my Saturday.

He was tasked last year with gaining  automatic promotion and Smashed that by winning the league. This season his target was top 6 he Smashed that as well. European place secured after two seasons in charge. The chances of Robbie being punted after meeting his targets in both season are zero.

I just don't get where the entitlement within the Hearts support has come from this season.

I'm not going to pull out the "2 years ago" chat but even regardless of administration and all that happened over the last few years since when was 3rd in the league not a good result for Hearts? Yeah Rangers weren't in the league but why does that mean that the board owe us 2nd place? Aberdeen are a decent side. If you want to put on your blinkers and deny that then go ahead but that doesn't change the facts. They've done well and, for the time being, are better than us over the course of a season and so they came 2nd, and we came 3rd. If you can't handle that then you're watching the wrong sport.

"But the league was shit and we should have challenged"  Was it? Aberdeen, St Johnstone Ross County and the like I'd say have done a great job of strengthening and stabilizing in recent years and deserve to be where they are. Celtic have a team that cost them millions of pounds and a wage bill that must be at least 4x higher than Aberdeen or ourselves so how can we possibly hold Neilson to account for not challenging a team like that with the players and budget he has available to him?

There's a new breed of Hearts fan coming through just now. They want it all, and they want it now.

I know football fans are fickle, but there's something different about Hearts fans just now. The honeymoon period is over for the people in charge and regardless of their past and all they have done for us we will throw them under the bus at the first sign of diffculty, as our fellow Jambos have been proving to us with the way they call for the head of a manager who just got 3rd in the premiership the first time of asking.

Good luck Ann, you're going to need it!

You may be right that one or two of our younger fans feel they have a sense of entitlement - they may well be the "new breed" you refer to, however they are very much in the minority.

After following Hearts for over 40 years I certainly have no sense of entitlement - however this does not prevent me (any many other sensible Hearts fans) from expressing concerns over our current negative football style and the perceived tinkering from Robbie Neilson. 

amadjambo

I'm prepared to give Robbie more time but I lost all faith in him when he started playing Sow as a left winger if I'm being honest.

Dread to think what you thought when Robbie then played Sow as a right winger! Scored 1 great goal from that position away to County and Robbie then kept doing it to no effect.

We won 6 times on the road in the league this season don't you know. Why should we look to be winning games at above venues as well?

if we have any ambition of challenging for a title in the near future then that record surely must be improved upon as that's not title challenging form IMO

I think people forget that this is only Robbie's second season in charge of a football team He has never managed at this level before and sometimes his inexperience shows and his tactics do not work but he has to lose games to learn and we need to accept that as much as it ruins my Saturday.

He was tasked last year with gaining  automatic promotion and Smashed that by winning the league. This season his target was top 6 he Smashed that as well. European place secured after two seasons in charge. The chances of Robbie being punted after meeting his targets in both season are zero.

The point is - IS he learning from his mistakes because he keeps repeating them?

I agree there is zero chance of him being punted as he deserves a big bit of slack for winning the Championship last season.  3rd place on paper is also very good - not that I believe a top 6 finish was really ever the target.

You may be right that one or two of our younger fans feel they have a sense of entitlement - they may well be the "new breed" you refer to, however they are very much in the minority.

After following Hearts for over 40 years I certainly have no sense of entitlement - however this does not prevent me (any many other sensible Hearts fans) from expressing concerns over our current negative football style and the perceived tinkering from Robbie Neilson. 

Fair enough but that's one of the things I don't get.

40 years following Hearts and you're questioning Neilson after 2 seasons, one of which he romped the championship and the other of which he finished a comfy 3rd? How's that possible when we're all using our past experiences as a comparison? I've only been following Hearts for about 20 years and only about 5 or 6 as what I'd call a die hard (home and away) and I've seen some garbage over the years that makes me think of how happy I am with where we are now but how can somebody who's been around for all the sh*t times be questioning the guy?

Neilson at least deserves the chance to get it wrong. Because say what you want about certain performances here and there but on the grand scale of things he's not put a toe wrong. He's hit every target that his employers set for him, hell he's exceeded most of them, and for his position to be scrutinised the way it is just now is pretty disrespectful to the guy. In no other walk of life would it be acceptable to question the job performance of a guy who smashed his bosses expectations of him.

Had a quick scan at your rant and noticed you slagging off Bauben, stopped reading after that as I don't think you have a clue.

This is exactly what I did

Fair enough but that's one of the things I don't get.

40 years following Hearts and you're questioning Neilson after 2 seasons, one of which he romped the championship and the other of which he finished a comfy 3rd? How's that possible when we're all using our past experiences as a comparison? I've only been following Hearts for about 20 years and only about 5 or 6 as what I'd call a die hard (home and away) and I've seen some garbage over the years that makes me think of how happy I am with where we are now but how can somebody who's been around for all the sh*t times be questioning the guy?

Neilson at least deserves the chance to get it wrong. Because say what you want about certain performances here and there but on the grand scale of things he's not put a toe wrong. He's hit every target that his employers set for him, hell he's exceeded most of them, and for his position to be scrutinised the way it is just now is pretty disrespectful to the guy. In no other walk of life would it be acceptable to question the job performance of a guy who smashed his bosses expectations of him.

Read my post #62

JamboJohn1874

Do people not get bored writing this stuff. Deserves a rest until next season, when we can start to evaluate exactly how good we are.

Why are you unable to see what we are like now. I for one do not wish to risk another season with Neilson at the helm. Mediocrity is something they accept over at the echo dome, not Tynecastle.

Try going to some away games and watch the eye bleeding football we have been putting in.

socrates82

We keep being told this is one of the worst leagues in a long time, well apart from Celtic being not as good, I would suggest Aberdeen, Dundee, Ross County, St Johnstone and Motherwell are as good or maybe slightly better than recent years

It's been one of the most competitive leagues from top to bottom. I think people are saying that makes it one of the worst, which doesn't make sense to me either. 

Central Belt 1874

The point is - IS he learning from his mistakes because he keeps repeating them?

I agree there is zero chance of him being punted as he deserves a big bit of slack for winning the Championship last season.  3rd place on paper is also very good - not that I believe a top 6 finish was really ever the target.

Has he not said that next seasons 'target' is to challenge for the title?

How is he going to achieve this considering how poor many of the performances have been this season? How is he going to achieve this considering his record against Celtic, Aberdeen, Rangers?

tynewater

I don't get this sense of entitlement either. I'm in my mid fifties, and in 40 odd years of supporting Hearts we've never won the top league and have finished second twice. We've been relegated more often than that in the same period. Finishing 3rd is a very decent achievement, one we haven't done all that often. I know the league is weaker without Rankers, but Celtic have a much stronger squad than us, and Aberdeen have been building a very decent squad over the last 3-4 years. 3rd was realistically as much as we could achieve this year, and that meant we were going to lose a few games. Robbie has achieved as much as could realistically have been expected, and it appears that we are in the process of strengthening the squad to step up our challenge next season. Compared to previous post-promotion seasons, when we were delighted if we managed to stay up, I'd say that's a pretty good job.

There is no "sense of entitlement" amongst the dissenting voices.

All we want is to watch a Hearts team playing to it's potential rather than being hindered by the managers defensive mindset.

(That's for the hard of thinking btw).

Neilson is not over-thinking matches but the direction from above is where the great over-thinker plies his trade.

Seriously, CL has thought he was the great football thinker for years, and his ego is not for landing.

At this time Hearts can challenge Celtic if Aberdeen can but not under this approach and that is where the

frustration comes from. Showing the opposition way too much respect takes the focus of encouraging your

own players to perform to the best of their abilities - they are no longer believing they are a talented footballer

as they are "thinking" about how to thwart the higher standards of their rather more talented foes.

Nothing wrong with prep but this fear-based mush is a mug's game in football.

Livvyjambo

Neilson is not over-thinking matches but the direction from above is where the great over-thinker plies his trade.

Seriously, CL has thought he was the great football thinker for years, and his ego is not for landing.

At this time Hearts can challenge Celtic if Aberdeen can but not under this approach and that is where the

frustration comes from. Showing the opposition way too much respect takes the focus of encouraging your

own players to perform to the best of their abilities - they are no longer believing they are a talented footballer

as they are "thinking" about how to thwart the higher standards of their rather more talented foes.

Nothing wrong with prep but this fear-based mush is a mug's game in football.

Very well put

I think the end of next season would be a more appropriate time for this thread. See you in 12 months.

lost in space

A few points -

Thread Title - Not my title.  MODs must have cahnged to the "softer" version.  In hindshight, probably right to change it.

Sense of entitlement. Yes, had one since the 1970s, I feel that I am entitled to see my team motivated \ properly directed \ attempting to win EVERY game.  If they lose - I can take that.  What I cant take is the lack of passion and effort and players who are confused.

Bauben - should have been give the defensive role that Kitchen now "owns" and Gomis had before.  He can play there but is not good in a more positive role (since his passing is average and he does not get into opposing box).

Yogi\McGhee - I do not want either of these guys anywhere near Tynie - I was pointing out that motivation is a requirement for coaches - I could have chosen better examples (especially McGhee).  Does Robbie have this??

Other Robbie Thread - I purposely did not enter under existing thread, as I want this topic continually discussed.  It is becoming clear that there are now more than a few who are doubting Robbie's tactics.

I have to go now - these crayons wont eat themselves....................

Archived