Is Cowie the new Clum

JamboJohn1874

JamboJohn1874

I really hope that Cowie does turn things around and proves Hearts are not just his personal pension plan, but early signs are not looking good.

One thing is clear, in his 5 games so far, he really divides the support widely. Someone actually gave him a 6 yesterday for touching the ball 5 times. Whilst the vast majority would gladly have hung, drawn and quartered him.

It makes me think of others that have divided Kickback so much, such as Clum, Robinson and most recently Anderson.

Some on here actually thought Anderson needed time and patience to make it at Hearts, and that we shold not be critical of such a young player. Clum was even more devisive as he scored about 1 in every 20 games, which to some should merit a lifetime of first team football.

The trouble is, while we are being patient and playing players when their form doesn't merit it, our team is weakened.

I'm not too worried about Duada to be honest, he's not our player so can easily be dumped but Cowie could be costly if we need to move him on.

I hope he gets his act together quickly.

Francis Albert

In a word, no.

And I don't remember "Clum" as being particularly divisive.

Nor for that matter is Cowie. The vast majority of supporters are not going to judge him after 5 games.

Otherwise, an incisive and well thought out OP.

Well, by some standards.

He did great in the second half against Hibs, but he was awful against Killie. I was so angry with his woeful free kick (just inside Killie's half by the side) where he hesitated for ages on who to pass to, then fluffed it 5 yards along the ground straight to a Killie player. Sort of thing you'd expect from a teenager, not someone who's been brought in for their 'experience'. But if he can play like he did against Hibs (in a central role) then happy for him to keep playing.

Seen Cowie once. I reckon he probably isn't up to speed yet.

In the whole scheme of things, hard to get overly concerned at this stage.

Good player. Don't understand the hate.

Hilariously bad free kick yesterday, though he was one of the few positives from Easter road.

One person who doesn't divide JKB opinion is surely the OP. I'm assuming that most people hold a similar opinion of his inane dribblings on thread after thread.

I really hope that Cowie does turn things around and proves Hearts are not just his personal pension plan, but early signs are not looking good.

One thing is clear, in his 5 games so far, he really divides the support widely. Someone actually gave him a 6 yesterday for touching the ball 5 times. Whilst the vast majority would gladly have hung, drawn and quartered him.

It makes me think of others that have divided Kickback so much, such as Clum, Robinson and most recently Anderson.

Some on here actually thought Anderson needed time and patience to make it at Hearts, and that we shold not be critical of such a young player. Clum was even more devisive as he scored about 1 in every 20 games, which to some should merit a lifetime of first team football.

The trouble is, while we are being patient and playing players when their form doesn't merit it, our team is weakened.

I'm not too worried about Duada to be honest, he's not our player so can easily be dumped but Cowie could be costly if we need to move him on.

given time , I think this guy is going to prove a bargain....25 games you can judge, the class will tell :2thumbsup:

I TAKE SERG ******

FTFY. Now tootle back to brokeback.net and report back to your master that even when beat our doors are still open. Oh and ask him how many sides a triangle has :)

Tokyo Drifter

Not sure what Cowie is for and not sure he know either.

In all my years watching Hearts I've never seen one of our players actually pass the ball to an opposition player from a free kick.

Nobody with any footballing knowledge would write off a player after 5 games, particularly one who has done well in England and played for Scotland.

You can, however, permanently write off any opinion provided by someone with the exact amount of posts the OP has.

Son Of Anarchy

FTFY. Now tootle back to brokeback.net and report back to your master that even when beat our doors are still open. Oh and ask him how many sides a triangle has :)

Doesn't he charge a tenner for that kinda info? ;)

Jambof3tornado

I think he looks decent and nowhere near match sharp. As for hearts being his pension plan he could have got much more going to the usa or China, or even dropping 2 divisions down south.

Not sure where he fits in with our future plans. Only time will tell.

Francis Albert

Just to give the thread a chance after the idiotic OP, I am actually struggling to think of many Hearts players as unalike as these two. (Obviously you could pick extremes of ability like Robbo or Beniusis - though even there they had similar positions in common). The only common link I can immediately come across is that neither were written off by any supporter with half a brain after just 5 appearances.

He was playing regularly at the top level of English football as recently as 2014. Possibly worth letting him have a few games to find his feet?

He was playing regularly at the top level of English football as recently as 2014. Possibly worth letting him have a few games to find his feet?

But why give him time to prove himself when it's so easy to write him off and absolutely slate him after a handful of games?

Diadora Van Basten

I posted on the Prince thread that it seemed from his warm ups that we were desperate to bring him on.

Personally I was delighted that he never started yesterday. I don't really want to watch Don Cowie.

More to the point...is he any better than Gomis?

That's a good question actually. It is too early to tell and we will see. I'd say Gomis is probably better at winning the ball back and acting as a defensive midfielder whereas Cowie may offer a bit more going forward. I was disappointed to see Gomis go on loan and I hope his move isn't made permanent.

Said it since day 1, Cowie could be another Swanson.

I hope not and clearly Cowie has more ability and can break into the first team.

I just don't really see where he fits in.

Francis Albert

Based on yesterday he's not fit to lace his boots.

Based on one substitute appearance?

I remember Gomis getting his fair share of abuse on here.

The annoying thing about Clum, I used to sit in front of a guy who abused him from minute 1, used to slag him,abuse him,basically give it tight for the whole game

Yet completely ignored the waste of wages that was Christian Nade.

There are always these guys who are targets, who may be playing poorly but are by no means hiding but get the abuse that absolute wasters coast by without

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Played 144 games, 84 starts. Scored 17 goals.

1 goal every 8 games, or every 5 starts.

He's played over 200 games in top two tiers of English football. That's all I have to say as I think it's best left there

Very similar to Jeremy Goss before he got to us!

It is obviously too early to make any definitive judgements on Cowie at Hearts ... but I have to say I hoped a player who the manager described as a 'great player' would look a bit more impressive.

Based on one substitute appearance?

I remember Gomis getting his fair share of abuse on here.

He was getting abuse until his loan move.

Then he became our player of the season.

It was easy invented ammunition.

He's played over 200 games in top two tiers of English football. That's all I have to say as I think it's best left there

That's why a lot of fans are disappointed.  Expected more.  He doesn't looked any better than Gomis.

There are a few players which certainly take some time to settle. However, the average fan is not that daft. This is not rocket science - they can judge with their eyes whether a player looks good or not.

For someone with Cowie's pedigree I for one have been underwhelmed. Surely with his experience he should be able to make an impact in a poor quality league?

As for Dauda, I am not impressed. A Striker running away from the goals, instead of cutting across a player to hone in on goals? He just does not look like a natural Striker. And as for this supposed pace he possess's well we have not witnessed it yet!!

Archived