Hearts and Hibs stars dish up meals for homeless

Diadora Van Basten

Diadora Van Basten

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/hearts-and-hibs-stars-dish-up-meal-for-homeless-1-3976913

This is the second time that I have heard of Hearts supporting the Streetwork charity. The other time we donated clothing such as padded jackets and I have seen a homeless women on Rose St wearing the old umbro padded jacket with the Hearts badge removed which I take it came through Streetwork.

Does anyone know anymore about the Streetwork charity? I donated some money using the link at the end of the article and noticed that Hearts donations were on ?364.19 at the time so hope that they can raise their target of ?10k and that our fans raise more than Hibs.

I hope that it is a true charity in every sense of the word as the national homeless charity in my opinion is a sham of a political organisation and other Edinburgh businesses are passing themselves of as homeless charities despite not having charitable status.  

It would therefore be good to know that donations made to at least one homeless charity are actually helping the homeless.

Love seeing this. I know it's in player's contracts to do these type of things and every club does it but it is fabulous to see.  Never been a fan of giving the homeless hard cash but always love seeing them get a good healthy meal in their bellies.

Diadora Van Basten

Love seeing this. I know it's in player's contracts to do these type of things and every club does it but it is fabulous to see.  Never been a fan of giving the homeless hard cash but always love seeing them get a good healthy meal in their bellies.

It's good to see so many positive stories coming out of the club just now.

itsnomarooned

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/hearts-and-hibs-stars-dish-up-meal-for-homeless-1-3976913

This is the second time that I have heard of Hearts supporting the Streetwork charity. The other time we donated clothing such as padded jackets and I have seen a homeless women on Rose St wearing the old umbro padded jacket with the Hearts badge removed which I take it came through Streetwork.

Does anyone know anymore about the Streetwork charity? I donated some money using the link at the end of the article and noticed that Hearts donations were on ?364.19 at the time so hope that they can raise their target of ?10k and that our fans raise more than Hibs.

I hope that it is a true charity in every sense of the word as the national homeless charity in my opinion is a sham of a political organisation and other Edinburgh businesses are passing themselves of as homeless charities despite not having charitable status.  

It would therefore be good to know that donations made to at least one homeless charity are actually helping the homeless.

Why on earth is this of particular importance. Let's just be thankful of the initiative and the support of both clubs and try not to be quite so petty.

Son Of Anarchy

Genuine homeless folks absolutely but the organised crime homeless clones no. Its hard to tell them apart but if your giving over cash or all they want is cash chances are your building a new mansion in Bulgaria for a crook. These parasites take food out of the needys mouths and should be locked up.

I tend to buy a beggar (if you like) a hot cup of tea/coffee or a hot snack from one of the street vendors in Bath. I don't like giving money because a lot of the homeless where I live are also users of heroin/crack and I for one don't want to feed their habit.

loveofthegame

Why on earth is this of particular importance. Let's just be thankful of the initiative and the support of both clubs and try not to be quite so petty.

It is a good question, but to be fair it is the charity that has set up two different links therefore turning it into a "competition" of sorts.

I have a wee homeless guy whome i sete every morning and on route to the bus stop or taking my dog a walk i drop him a coffee and bacon sarney.

I then procceed to have a conversation with him. He is very humble and a nice man with unfortunate and obvious mental health issues.

I hope in the future to convince him to go along to the local shelter. For the time being he seems fairly content on being in his situation.

I have a wee homeless guy whome i sete every morning and on route to the bus stop or taking my dog a walk i drop him a coffee and bacon sarney.

I then procceed to have a conversation with him. He is very humble and a nice man with unfortunate and obvious mental health issues.

I hope in the future to convince him to go along to the local shelter. For the time being he seems fairly content on being in his situation.

Please wish Sergay a very Happy Christmas from Me.XX

Diadora Van Basten

If we raise more than Hibs the charity gets more money from Hearts fans.

The Treasurer

A bit of friendly competition for both sets of fans to raise more than the other lot would only result in one winner, the charity.

As an aside , today seen Robbie & Robbo visit Braidwood School in Oxgangs with League trophy in hand. The joy and happiness has to be seen to be believed.

If we raise more than Hibs the charity gets more money from Hearts fans.

It really is sad that you see that as some sort of victory. Some things, including this, are above club rivalries.

It really is sad that you see that as some sort of victory. Some things, including this, are above club rivalries.

I don't see the harm in a friendly rivalry if it makes a charity more.

A team I was in, in my work done the same. We split into two teams and helped at two Marie Curie shops one Saturday, and had a 'friendly' competition to see who could raise their normal takings by the most.

I am sure most sensible people will see it in a similar way.

I don't see the harm in a friendly rivalry if it makes a charity more.

A team I was in, in my work done the same. We split into two teams and helped at two Marie Curie shops one Saturday, and had a 'friendly' competition to see who could raise their normal takings by the most.

I agree wholeheartedly that any chance of an increase in pledges as a result of a rivalry would be great. However I am sure the op is seeking this as Hearts getting one over Hibs. Why else does he want Hearts fans to raise more than Hibs?

Diadora Van Basten

You would think so but apparently there is something morally wrong with trying to raise more money for a charity than your local rivals.

Diadora Van Basten

I agree wholeheartedly that any chance of an increase in pledges as a result of a rivalry would be great. However I am sure the op is seeking this as Hearts getting one over Hibs. Why else does he want Hearts fans to raise more than Hibs?

Can I ask you why you think the charity has set up separate just giving pages if not to turn it into a friendly competition.

Can I ask you why you think the charity has set up separate just giving pages if not to turn it into a friendly competition.

I am not stupid and see it as a way to maximise pledges. Can I ask you why you want Hearts to raise more? And I apologise in advance if I have read too much into your original comment regarding Hearts raising more than them.

Diadora Van Basten

I am not stupid and see it as a way to maximise pledges. Can I ask you why you want Hearts to raise more? And I apologise in advance if I have read too much into your original comment regarding Hearts raising more than them.

it has been set up by the charity as a friendly competition between the supporters of the two clubs.

The charity know that if the fans want to win they will give more money to the charity than If there was no competition.

I want the charity to get more money and for Hearts fans to raise more than Hibs fans.

Just to confirm that I won't lose any sleep if they don't.

willie wallace

As an aside , today seen Robbie & Robbo visit Braidwood School in Oxgangs with League trophy in hand. The joy and happiness has to be seen to be believed

My wife teaches at  Braidburn and she had just sent me a text to say she had her picture taken with a Hearts player today.Another text tells me is name is Robbie Neilson.Just informed her  he is the manager.Women eh!

Hope she never told him what i say about him when we get beat :uhoh2:

it has been set up by the charity as a friendly competition between the supporters of the two clubs.

The charity know that if the fans want to win they will give more money to the charity than If there was no competition.

I want the charity to get more money and for Hearts fans to raise more than Hibs fans.

Just to confirm that I won't lose any sleep if they don't.

Ok and I reiterate my apology. I'll take my easily offended hat off!

I tend to buy a beggar (if you like) a hot cup of tea/coffee or a hot snack from one of the street vendors in Bath. I don't like giving money because a lot of the homeless where I live are also users of heroin/crack and I for one don't want to feed their habit.

I tend to buy my lunch from beggers, much cheaper than Greggs but come in exact same packaging.

willie wallace

My wife teaches at Braidburn and she had just sent me a text to say she had her picture taken with a Hearts player today.Another text tells me is name is Robbie Neilson.Just informed her he is the manager.Women eh!

Hope she never told him what i say about him when we get beat :uhoh2:

Just a wee update guys.My wife has now told me Robbie was holding the cup(championship trophy I presume)in the photo.I told her its not a proper cup and she says I am just jealous.

A very pleasant guy but surely too young to be a manager she reckons.

it was the championship trophy, complete with maroon & white ribbons . Your wife might've mixed up Robbie with me as I'm tall, well groomed with rugged good looks as well ( insert any smiley here)

Spitonastranger

Genuine homeless folks absolutely but the organised crime homeless clones no. Its hard to tell them apart but if your giving over cash or all they want is cash chances are your building a new mansion in Bulgaria for a crook. These parasites take food out of the needys mouths and should be locked up.

Merry Christmas

Sexton Hardcastle

Streetwork and various other charities or homelessness services need additional help this year after the mighty cec slashed money yet again.

Will be evident in a few years just how badly the council are screwing these vulnerable people.

Streetwork and various other charities or homelessness services need additional help this year after the mighty cec slashed money yet again.

Will be evident in a few years just how badly the council are screwing these vulnerable people.

Given that John Swinney has just announced another council tax freeze, council cutbacks are likely to continue.

Still a freeze in council tax does sound good. Especially when an election is coming up.

Well said bud.

Given that John Swinney has just announced another council tax freeze, council cutbacks are likely to continue.

Still a freeze in council tax does sound good. Especially when an election is coming up.

Tbh,it would have been better if the SNP had shoved ?5 pm on council tax and lessened the business tax amount.

This will only send smaller firms to the wall,imo.

Archived