11 Years ago today - Basel 1 Hearts 2 - Robbie's First Goal

Hearts Heritage

Fantastic match. I was actually thinking about it last night. We turned a quiet little place into a bouncing Hearts pub post-match.

A great European trip.

Probably the best trip I've been on. Fantastic moment when Robbie scored.

To think we won at a venue where top European sides were regularly turned over is quite some achievement

Anyone else remember the tram that got derailed from all the jumping up and down?

Was on the very same one. Think we all just followed the track into town because we had no idea where we were!

scott herbertson

Anyone else remember the tram that got derailed from all the jumping up and down?

I remember watching it, laughing then feeling a bit guilty, all in the space of 10seconds

Gluhwein doesn't mix that well with wheatbeer and belgian trappirt ales aether, as far as I can recall - great trip tho

Listened / watched in Famous Three Kings (?????) Somewhere in London with a pub full of Jambos and 1 Basel fan. Think we only got the satellite signal for Hearts game in time for some highlights. We did get regular text updates from people at the game or watching somewhere else. Basel fan delighted when they equalised, devastated after. All a bit hazy though

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

I was on that tram.

It was freezing that night.

I also remember meeting Newcastle fans who came as they had played somewhere nearby in France.

Great trip.

Great trip. My old man ended up in the home end after leaving me outside the ground. It was cold as hell. Had to walk back because of the tram that derailed. Then herded into the airport the next day because sellick fans trashed the place the year before.

It was a good trip. Went with my dad who fell asleep due to excess whisky and woke up with the noise when Neilson scored. Still swears he saw the goal. 

Travelled by bus with my then 15 year old son,it had been organised through here, nearly turned back at Peterborough services after guys playing football in the car park damaged a lorry, had a guy on the bus without a passport as he lost it on way to meet the bus, he still got there and back, freezing cold, Hearts fans going fighting with each other in a pub as someone was helping themselves to free beer, great atmosphere in the ground and Robbie scoring the winner....great trip!

Travelled by bus with my then 15 year old son,it had been organised through here, nearly turned back at Peterborough services after guys playing football in the car park damaged a lorry, had a guy on the bus without a passport as he lost it on way to meet the bus, he still got there and back, freezing cold, Hearts fans going fighting with each other in a pub as someone was helping themselves to free beer, great atmosphere in the ground and Robbie scoring the winner....great trip!

No wrong with a car park kickabout... :whistling:

Great trip. The passport carnage on the way home was incredible :lol:

Great trip and i was also on that bus

Took me about 3 hrs to get back to the Hotel after the night out as i kept going around in circles  :)

Remember the local guy who came on JKB to give us lots of information about Basel - he was a first class ambassador for Basel FC and the city.

One of my best trips. Bloody cold though. Newcastle were playing Sochaux and our flight was half them, half us, it's fondly referred to as the whistling flight cos we were banned from singing.

And Robbie scored, tremendous.

jack D and coke

How big a support did we take over? Never went to this one.

Hard to say, 2-3000 maybe. I was absolutely arseholed the whole 3 days so maybe somebody else will have a better idea! Good support for sure tho...

jack D and coke

Just remembered the nightclub at the top of that big glass building! Toilets were glass panelled and you were having a slash looking over the city about 30 floors up.

Daughter and I were on it, if I remember right we were singing the Dennis Wyness song when it happened!

Digs had a nightclub on one of the floors, brilliant couple of days.Top pub crawl on the day of the game pre match.

That Spanish so called striker miles offside at the first goal as well.

Watched this in a very, very packed Ettrick with my old man. Carnage when that went in. Pints, tables and chairs going everywhere! 

SectionDJambo

Is this the game where the Russian coach, whose name escapes me, came into the dressing room afterwards and told the players to stop celebrating?

Bearing in mind John Robertson was manager, it caused a stink.

jack D and coke

Is this the game where the Russian coach, whose name escapes me, came into the dressing room afterwards and told the players to stop celebrating?

Anatoly Bolshevets or whatever I think his name was.

Link to full game is on my youtube page as well as a few other euro games.

Brilliant trip.

Someone posted about smeltic wrecking the place, now it makes sense why we were kept on a sweltering bus for an hour at the airport. Thought it was just because we won(flew back on the friday)

Also stayed in hotel with the nightclub enjoyed it as a 15 year old drinking a pint of carlsberg looking out.

Really nice city, locals all friendly, stadium a cracker, even if i managed to miss it in the day before game as it was behind a shopping centre.

Would go back and do it all again in a heartbeat.

Only regret is we lost every other game

Yip, thats the one....that fella sat on his own at the airport - away from the team and officials

We were on the Hearts charter for that trip so left right after the game, there was an atmosphere at the airport and we sat with big MDV and he told us about it  

Great trip though.....

Archived