Pc Help needed for yours truly once again

Better call Saul

Better call Saul

Hope the pictures are ok to view

Bought a cheap Dell pc thinking because it had 4GB ram that "it must be good"

well it wont play my daughters sims 4 because of the video card that's inside it

SO..... the pictures that I have posted is that a video card ? as its not in use... meaning I link the monitor to another socket  (blue part)

please help me I am dreading having to go and buy an upgrade

post-927-0-02680000-1448408596_thumb.jpg

post-927-0-84048700-1448408620_thumb.jpg

post-927-0-28341200-1448408655_thumb.jpg

It's a slightly different socket so may need to buy an adapter of some sort

It's a DVI-D connection, if you don't have a digital monitor then you can get an inexpensive adaptor.  I'm no expert but I'm sure that's right.

DVI-D to VGA

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DVI-D-Male-Dual-Link-To-VGA-Female-Socket-Adapter-Converter-/251538301300

ETA: If your monitor does have HDMI then you can get a cable like this -  http://www.ebuyer.com/130512-xenta-hdmi-to-dvi-d-cable-1m-plex-033?gclid=CMb414qwqskCFU63GwodPNUL_g#fo_c=951&fo_k=ade04e014c2a3d1f87c0a09bb3041881&fo_s=gplauk?mkwid=sWA3N2WiH_dc&pcrid=51630194939&pkw=&pmt=

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Hmm I'm not sure. I've had a look at my old PC and the graphics card has the same socket as the main one. It could be something else, you might have to go and buy one.

Take the PC to silicon group in dalry and ask for a cheap one that fits the motherboard, it shouldn't cost that much.

doesn't look much like a graphics card to me, no heatsink on it for a start. probably an adaptor card for something. cheap PC's usually have onboard graphics(built into motherboard) and it shouldn't take much to run a sim city game, usually not graphic heavy, anyway on the games box it should give you a list of the "Requirements needed to run the game"

motherboard type and game requirements would be very helpful in solving your problem.

Suffolk Jambo

That card is just a port adapter that brings a DVI (digital) connection to the motherboard. It is still using the same on board graphics chip that the blue D-Sub (Analogue) connector is using so connecting a monitor to that port will produce the same results. The only solution here is to remove the port adapter and install a low profile PCI-E graphics card, hopefully with D-Sub connector if that's all the OP has available on his monitor.

http://www.stuartconnections.com/en/graphics/472-Dell-PCIe-Low-Profile-DVI-Adapter-Video-Card-FH868.html

That card is just a port adapter that brings a DVI (digital) connection to the motherboard. It is still using the same on board graphics chip that the blue D-Sub (Analogue) connector is using so connecting a monitor to that port will produce the same results. The only solution here is to remove the port adapter and install a low profile PCI-E graphics card, hopefully with D-Sub connector if that's all the OP has available on his monitor.

http://www.stuartconnections.com/en/graphics/472-Dell-PCIe-Low-Profile-DVI-Adapter-Video-Card-FH868.html

Those cards aren't going to run Sims 4.

edit - sorry misread post thought you were suggesting those in the link :vrface: 

Suffolk Jambo

A low-profile R7 250 might do the job.

?60 or so.

I think the OP should also confirm what model of Dell Optiplex he has purchased as it could be anything from a 755 to a 780 and the CPU might not even be up to the task. Dell Asset Tag would help confirm what CPU is/was installed when new!

I think the OP should also confirm what model of Dell Optiplex he has purchased as it could be anything from a 755 to a 780 and the CPU might not even be up to the task. Dell Asset Tag would help confirm what CPU is/was installed when new!

Good point. Also need to know what the PSU wattage is. I think 400w minimum is required for the R7 250.

Suffolk Jambo

Good point. Also need to know what the PSU wattage is. I think 400w minimum is required for the R7 250.

PSU of the Small Form Factor Optiplex is likely to be around 275W

Archived