Oh America.

WSTR

Are they for real?

I realized after I posted that there was a text version that had links to references. All are for real.  (To my knowledge the statements that are written so as to sound as if the shooters wrote them are fictionalized, but the events are real.)

I have almost zero hope of meaningful gun control passing in the way that we've thought of it conventionally.  The activists affiliated with the Industrial Areas Foundation have suggested tying gun safety technology to US military weapons purchases, which are a huge part of every major gun manufacturer's revenue.  I think that has a better shot of working at this point.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anybody mentioned the man who killed three people at an abortion clinic because he was "pro-life".

What a twat.

Also, I'm not really up on US politics so anybody who is can you answer this?

Obama constantly says gun laws need to he tightened, but why can't he change them? Does it go to a debate in their version of the house of commons? Feel like a tit asking haha.

Also, I'm not really up on US politics so anybody who is can you answer this?

Obama constantly says gun laws need to he tightened, but why can't he change them? Does it go to a debate in their version of the house of commons? Feel like a tit asking haha.

For the most part, Obama can't change the law.  Central to the entire structure of American government is "separation of powers," which has the federal government (along with every state government to my knowledge) split into three branches which have "checks and balances" on each other.  The President is head of the Executive Branch, charged with executing the law and developing the minutia of regulations.  The Legislative Branch is headed by the two houses of Congress (House of Representatives and Senate) and is the branch that produces most laws.  The Judicial Branch is, of course, all the judges, who create common law with rulings and otherwise interpret the Constitution and the congressional laws.

Obama is constrained on multiple fronts by all of this.  He can try to get a law passed, but both houses of Congress are currently under control by a party whose one central organizing platform is basically, "say no to anything Obama wants" in addition to depending on the support of groups like the NRA.  Beyond that, any kind of gun control measure will instantly get sued as a violation of the Second Amendment to the Constitution, and with the 9 justices on the Supreme Court including three hard right conservatives and two others who are more moderate but still pretty conservative, he has to have an air-tight legal justification for doing anything.

The Shermans act as if the Constitution is a holy text that can never be changed.

The fact that some of the most controversial clauses in it are AMENDMENTS shows that it can be changed, as has been in the past.

I P Knightley

The work place may not have been the original target but normal, everyday law abiding Muslims do not stock pile guns, bombs and other military gear as a hobby. This was not related to only a work disagreement.

Supposedly 2 months ago the people targeted threw a baby shower for them. Doesnt sound like he was having problems with everyone at work.

At the time of writing my post, I hadn't seen anything about bomb equipment. 

A Facebook meme on the reasons people have been shot in the US in November.

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t31.0-8/12239216_945562982182354_3900654855168197761_o.jpg

"My son was arguing with me about biscuits and gravy, so I shot him dead."

http://wishtv.com/2015/11/14/person-shot-killed-on-the-sw-side/

"My friend was arguing with me about the Steelers game, so I shot him."

http://www.wtae.com/news/man-arrested-after-shooting-neighbor-over-steelers-game-argument/36464656

"I blew off steam but committing 42 drive-by shootings in one night.".

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/11/19/1452149/-Oklahoma-man-arrested-for-42-drive-by-shootings-in-one-night

:cornette: :cornette: :cornette:

Is there a list like this for each month? Be interesting to see some other examples of what's happened.

The 355th mass shooting in 336 days.

Not correct.In fact there are no facts available via any media.

Following the shooting in San Bernardino, California yesterday, several mainstream media sites have claimed that it constitutes the 355th mass shooting this year.

No, it doesn?t.

The figure was unquestioningly repeated by The New York TimestheWashington Post,Boston GlobeCBS NewsMSNBC, and Newsday, despite the fact that it is inaccurate and does not in any way dovetail with FBI statistics.

Television newscasts also repeatedly cited the figure without checking the facts.

The origin of the figure is even more ridiculous, given that it was culled from a claim by a group of anti-Second Amendment ?activists? on the news sharing website Reddit.

The group, named ?Guns Are Cool,? (an attempted ironic name) runs a ?subreddit? page which it describes as ?the world?s only crowd sourced mass shooting tracker, as featured on the Huffington Post, the Daily Show with Jon Stewart, the Young Turks, the FX Network?s ?Totally Biased with W. Kamau Bell? and more!?

The trouble is, that it?s figures are totally out of whack with official stats.

According to the FBI, only 21 of the 355 shootings identified by the anti-gunners can actually be categorized as mass murder with a firearm.

It is still too many, but it isn?t any where close to 355.

An FBI report released last year details that over a thirteen year period, between 2000 and 2013, there were 160 ?active shooter incidents.?

Those also include incidents where nobody was shot or killed. Gang violence is not counted among these statistics.

The FBI categorizes mass shootings as ?a number of murders (four or more) occurring during the same incident, with no distinctive time period between the murders.?

Responding to those who have pointed this out, the anti-gun group in question claimed that the FBI panders to the ?gun lobby,? and intentionally downplays shootings.

?The NRA evades the gigantic costs of gun injuries to society and shifts the burden to taxpayers who often pay the costs for the medical care of the wounded.? the group, who admit to attempting to influence media coverage of shootings, claim.

This once again shows that the mainstream media cherry picks information to intentionally mislead Americans into supporting calls to give up their rights.

No retractions or clarifications have yet been offered by the media outlets cited above who used the bogus figures.

http://www.wtae.com/news/man-arrested-after-shooting-neighbor-over-steelers-game-argument/36464656

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/11/19/1452149/-Oklahoma-man-arrested-for-42-drive-by-shootings-in-one-night

Is there a list like this for each month? Be interesting to see some other examples of what's happened.

It's like the Wild West all over again.

Following the shooting in San Bernardino, California yesterday, several mainstream media sites have claimed that it constitutes the 355th mass shooting this year.

No, it doesn?t.

The figure was unquestioningly repeated by The New York TimestheWashington Post,Boston GlobeCBS NewsMSNBC, and Newsday, despite the fact that it is inaccurate and does not in any way dovetail with FBI statistics.

Television newscasts also repeatedly cited the figure without checking the facts.

The origin of the figure is even more ridiculous, given that it was culled from a claim by a group of anti-Second Amendment ?activists? on the news sharing website Reddit.

The group, named ?Guns Are Cool,? (an attempted ironic name) runs a ?subreddit? page which it describes as ?the world?s only crowd sourced mass shooting tracker, as featured on the Huffington Post, the Daily Show with Jon Stewart, the Young Turks, the FX Network?s ?Totally Biased with W. Kamau Bell? and more!?

According to the FBI, only 21 of the 355 shootings identified by the anti-gunners can actually be categorized as mass murder with a firearm.

An FBI report released last year details that over a thirteen year period, between 2000 and 2013, there were 160 ?active shooter incidents.?

Those also include incidents where nobody was shot or killed. Gang violence is not counted among these statistics.

The FBI categorizes mass shootings as ?a number of murders (four or more) occurring during the same incident, with no distinctive time period between the murders.?

Responding to those who have pointed this out, the anti-gun group in question claimed that the FBI panders to the ?gun lobby,? and intentionally downplays shootings.

?The NRA evades the gigantic costs of gun injuries to society and shifts the burden to taxpayers who often pay the costs for the medical care of the wounded.? the group, who admit to attempting to influence media coverage of shootings, claim.

This once again shows that the mainstream media cherry picks information to intentionally mislead Americans into supporting calls to give up their rights.

No retractions or clarifications have yet been offered by the media outlets cited above who used the bogus figures.

Only 21 mass murders, well that's all right then, what's all the fuss about.    :cornette:

Over a 13 year period there were only 160 active shooter incidents, excuse me but isn't every single shooting an active shooter incident.

alwaysthereinspirit

At the time of writing my post, I hadn't seen anything about bomb equipment. 

No biggie. I wasnt disputing your take/opinion on events. It was just the fact the wife was involved from the start that made it look like more than a work issue.

I P Knightley

No biggie. I wasnt disputing your take/opinion on events. It was just the fact the wife was involved from the start that made it look like more than a work issue.

Whatever's gone on, it's a bit weirder than what we're used to.

Your conventional school or office shoot-em-up tends to be the loner with some association to the target; the terrorist attacks tend to come from nowhere, having been planned in a group and attack indiscriminate targets.

This one appears to be a blend of both.

It showed on TV last night the bags of pipe bombs they had in the house, as well as literally thousands of rounds of ammunition. It also showed a new type of bomb that is a toy remote controlled car that can be used to detonate a bomb.  They also mentioned IED's, their computer and phones indicated contact with persons who at the least had strong Jihadist opinions.  The accused male it seems was radicalised and his wife may have been the one who led him to radicalisation.

They commented briefly on gun legislation.  It was said that two States had virtually none, one being Alaska where accidental gun deaths was seven times any other State. One of the problems in implementation of the Legislation to control is State rights.

When in the past we drove from home to Las Vegas we drove through five States. We drove the Eastern side South. In some there are small towns and isolated farm areas where I would guess at least 90% of the home and farm owners possess at least one weapon.  In some way and only in some way you can see where they might want a gun, especially a rifle or shotgun for primarily the prevalent hunting, and to some extent protection. It would take a brave political candidate in an election period to say that one of his first actions on election would be to vote for gun control, thereby again presents one of the major problems in achieving such a thing.

Craig Gordons Gloves

I'm friends with a few people that up until this week i didn't know they were complete republicunts. This is a paraphrasing of what i've read on FB over the past few days (i should say - not posted by the people i'm friends with but on links that they have shared).

Obama is a mushlim (sic)

His plan is to allow syrian men of military age into the US as refugees and not women and children so that the muslims can make America an islam country (sic)

He is actively pursuing gun control so that GOOD CHRISTIAN AMERICANS will not be able to defend themselves or their countrymen against this MOSLEM (sic) onslaught.

There are over 90 million people unemployed because of Obama. (that's over 1/3 of the adult population btw)

He hates the police because he's black.

Only Trump will be able to make America great again.

Obama's entire staff of special advisers are all islamists.

Muslims are responsible for ALL terror attacks in the world.

I'm friends with a few people that up until this week i didn't know they were complete republicunts. This is a paraphrasing of what i've read on FB over the past few days (i should say - not posted by the people i'm friends with but on links that they have shared).

Obama is a mushlim (sic)

His plan is to allow syrian men of military age into the US as refugees and not women and children so that the muslims can make America an islam country (sic)

He is actively pursuing gun control so that GOOD CHRISTIAN AMERICANS will not be able to defend themselves or their countrymen against this MOSLEM (sic) onslaught.

There are over 90 million people unemployed because of Obama. (that's over 1/3 of the adult population btw)

He hates the police because he's black.

Only Trump will be able to make America great again.

Obama's entire staff of special advisers are all islamists.

Muslims are responsible for ALL terror attacks in the world.

:vrwow:      Just  :vrwow: 

Seriously there are people out there who think like that?

The female suspect in the California gun attack pledged allegiance to the leader of the Islamic State (IS) group on Facebook, US media reported.

Obviously nothing to do with Islam though. Islam is a religion of peace.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

The female suspect in the California gun attack pledged allegiance to the leader of the Islamic State (IS) group on Facebook, US media reported.

That's a shocker. What should we do about these Islams?

1 out of hundreds of shootings this year turns out to be a "proper" terrorist attack, everybody goes nuts.

All the other hundreds of shootings dismissed as "mental health issues" or "criminal"

:cornette:

Craig Gordons Gloves

:vrwow:      Just  :vrwow: 

Seriously there are people out there who think like that?

Yup - i paraphrased it and probably didn't include the sheer magnitude of ****wittery i read.

Shut up.

No, it doesn?t.

Absolutely furious straw-grasping going on here.

Oh FFS not this again.

Cynic in me thinks this 'ISIS' angle suits the pro-gun lobby, we've went from proper mainstream criticism of gun laws in the US(finally!) to suddenly being able to turn around and say "the Muslims did it!" overnight without any real evidence.

ISIS or anyone else haven't taken credit, and the whole assumption seems to be based on an apparent Facebook post from his wife on a 2nd FB account with a false name that she only used once prior to the attack.

Also for an apparent Muslim extremist he seems to have hid his views pretty well for such a long time especially from his two Jewish and gay colleagues that apparently got on really well with him...

Don't get me wrong, I've no doubt he did it but the story seems to clear cut suddenly.

To highlight the problems Obama is having with gun control, it is being reported on Sky News that even if someone is on an FBI watch list & no fly list they can still buy whatever guns they want.

As Obama says if your too dangerous to be allowed to fly then you should be too dangerous to buy a gun. 

Seemingly the Republicans in congress voted against an amendment preventing people on watch lists from buying guns.  

How stupid is that?

Taken from an idiotic Facebook statuses thread on another forum. I'm assuming its meant to be serious.

PsHgMXF.png

They have nothing to do with Islam and they are not a State.

Clue is in the name.

They do not represent all Muslims.

But they are *something* to do with Islam.

Search Parents Against Gun Violence on Facebook.

They all read the same... People shooting each other over video games, people mistaking relatives for intruders and killing them... Two guys getting into an argument, shooting at each other and missing, but hitting 5 bystanders...

Utter insanity.

They all read the same... People shooting each other over video games, people mistaking relatives for intruders and killing them... Two guys getting into an argument, shooting at each other and missing, but hitting 5 bystanders...

Utter insanity.

Thanks. There is loooaaads of them, like the 43 year old who got mistaken for a squirrel and shot, and the person who got shot over a restaurant toilet key.

In another, a guy invariably shot someone after they got their tshirt dirty.

alwaysthereinspirit

Cynic in me thinks this 'ISIS' angle suits the pro-gun lobby, we've went from proper mainstream criticism of gun laws in the US(finally!) to suddenly being able to turn around and say "the Muslims did it!" overnight without any real evidence.

ISIS or anyone else haven't taken credit, and the whole assumption seems to be based on an apparent Facebook post from his wife on a 2nd FB account with a false name that she only used once prior to the attack.

Also for an apparent Muslim extremist he seems to have hid his views pretty well for such a long time especially from his two Jewish and gay colleagues that apparently got on really well with him...

Don't get me wrong, I've no doubt he did it but the story seems to clear cut suddenly.

Wow and then another wow. Isn't there a conspiracy page for your post.

Utter insanity.

If the bystanders were armed as well that wouldn't have happened.

Watched a guy on Fox news earlier today called Sean Hannity, he and his guests were talking about gun free zones which seemingly the shooting in San Bernardino took place in a gun free zone, well their idea was to have guns in a gun free zone, yip you did read it correctly, their brain wave was to have someone with a side arm present in all of these gun free zones which have been set up. 

Their plan for dealing with a terrorist bursting into a room just like what happened at San Bernardino was this, to have someone with a side arm present and when the terrorist burst into the room and started spraying the room with bullets was to wait until they had ran out and were changing the clip, that's when the person with the side arm was to stand up and take them out. :cornette:      

Honestly that was their plan.

Utter total clowns one and all, it never occurred to them what would happen if the armed person was the first to be shot, which probably would be the case, remove your main threat first.

Then they went on to discuss Muslims in America, I changed channels soon afterwards as it was pathetic paranoia.

Watched a guy on Fox news earlier today called Sean Hannity, he and his guests were talking about gun free zones which seemingly the shooting in San Bernardino took place in a gun free zone, well their idea was to have guns in a gun free zone, yip you did read it correctly, their brain wave was to have someone with a side arm present in all of these gun free zones which have been set up. 

Their plan for dealing with a terrorist bursting into a room just like what happened at San Bernardino was this, to have someone with a side arm present and when the terrorist burst into the room and started spraying the room with bullets was to wait until they had ran out and were changing the clip, that's when the person with the side arm was to stand up and take them out. :cornette:      

Utter total clowns one and all, it never occurred to them what would happen if the armed person was the first to be shot, which probably would be the case, remove your main threat first.

Then they went on to discuss Muslims in America, I changed channels soon afterwards as it was pathetic paranoia.

I would suggest Sean Hannity in particular, and Fox News in general, is not a representative sample of the US public.

I have to wonder why you were watching it?

I would suggest Sean Hannity in particular, and Fox News in general, is not a representative sample of the US public.

I have to wonder why you were watching it?

I was just flicking channels and it came on and they were getting quite animated so I just started watched some of it.

So who is this Sean Hannity anyway?  I got the impression he was pro-gun lobby and anti Obama & Clinton.

I was just flicking channels and it came on and they were getting quite animated so I just started watched some of it.

So who is this Sean Hannity anyway?  I got the impression he was pro-gun lobby and anti Obama & Clinton.

He's not important or even relevant. He's just someone who says what a very small number of people want to hear in an entertaining manner. Unfortunately US cable news stations are full of them, they're just trying to get attention/ratings.

I was just flicking channels and it came on and they were getting quite animated so I just started watched some of it.

So who is this Sean Hannity anyway? I got the impression he was pro-gun lobby and anti Obama & Clinton.

No idea how you got that impression...

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Fox news is anti anything left of HItler.

Edit - like anything else Rupert Murdoch is involved in.

There are some conservatives out there, even those on the far right wing, who have two brain cells to rub together along with some measurable amount of integrity.

Sean Hannity is not one of them.

There are some conservatives out there, even those on the far right wing, who have two brain cells to rub together along with some measurable amount of integrity.

Sean Hannity is not one of them.

:laugh4:

Obama about to throw the cat amongst the pigeons. It's not going to be pretty.

alwaysthereinspirit

Obama about to throw the cat amongst the pigeons. It's not going to be pretty.

There's enough pigeons to take care of themselves.

Craig Gordons Gloves

Obama's speech tonight basically said 'you arseholes on the right, stop blaming Muslims for an insane minority. We're not going to have a ground war, guns are bad, the sooner you get that the better, congress- you need to do something.'

Still, arsewipes like Hannity, Limbaugh and most other Fox contributors have s pathological hatred of Obama and anything that's not their agenda.

Obama's speech tonight basically said 'you arseholes on the right, stop blaming Muslims for an insane minority. We're not going to have a ground war, guns are bad, the sooner you get that the better, congress- you need to do something.'

Still, arsewipes like Hannity, Limbaugh and most other Fox contributors have s pathological hatred of Obama and anything that's not their agenda.

Whereas David Cameron says - "Lets blame Muslims for an insane minority and wipe out thousands of innocent families and ruin their lives, we're going to have a war, bombs are good."

Say What Again

Footage from a police shooting in Miami at the weekend.

The suspect has a straight razor in his hand, but doesn't look too much to me like he was about to use it.

*warning* the clip shows the actual shooting, so don't view it if you don't want to see it.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

The suspect has a straight razor in his hand, but doesn't look too much to me like he was about to use it.

*warning* the clip shows the actual shooting, so don't view it if you don't want to see it.

Weird. I mean, if you're standing with a weapon surrounded by armed police, it's not very difficult to work out what might happen.

Weird. I mean, if you're standing with a weapon surrounded by armed police, it's not very difficult to work out what might happen.

Just me I guess, but if I had a group of police pointing weapons at me I would drop my weapon, along with my pants, and probably my recently consumed lunch.

Did he die? Looks alive on the ground.

Sawdust Caesar

After the Batman cinema shooting I went onto an American newspaper's website and in the comments section there was a guy saying "if everybody in that theatre was armed the death toll would have been far lower." Somebody then responded by saying it would more likely to be the opposite as you would have people reacting to the gun fire by shooting at the first person they saw with a gun in his/her hand who may or may not be the person who fired first. Also it's a crowded and darkened cinema and unless you are some kind of special forces operative the chances are you will hit the people nearby the shooter as well. The boy wasn't having any of it and was adamant that he would have taken out the killer quite easily without any collateral damage. I think some people must be playing Call of Duty and thinking "this is easy". Or more likely they are just the hard of thinking types.

Archived