Next season

Toonhertz

What's everyone's opinions on next season, where should hearts aim to finish? Get few more players and we should finish 2nd maybe 3rd Is that too optimistic?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
augusthearts

Top 6 should be a realistic aim.

Agreed.Hopefully we'll finish in the European spots but that top 6 is probably more realistic after a year in the lower leagues.

kingantti1874

3 or 4th, we will be prudent but have the 2nd highest income in the league at least until the Rangers appear.. Also, when you consider this years all had the 3 teams who would normally be fighting relegation and then another 3 teams who would have been in the championship in a normal season then this is s strange year.. I've been to 2 Aberdeen games this season, Hamilton and Motherwell and whilst they have a couple of useful players, Rooney, Jack, Hayes stood out they are not a great side... Players like flood are still shite.. that said they've added McLean and shinnie for next season..

Outside of Aberdeen the rest are woeful, dufc a shadow of the side since Armstrong and GMS went to the dark side

Top six..if they come up.Rangers will spend, although it won't be much, they will improve and because teams will still shet there pants when they turn up at Ibrox I expect them to finish second miles behind Celtic

Aberdeen at this point are still a good bit ahead of ourselves, with a bit luck we could finish fourth, but top six is a realistic aim

Wow, a thread about Hearts!

Top 6 should be achievable.  Would really like us to have a Scottish Cup run.

Tricky to say, really, before we've seen new signings.

Consolidation.

If we finish top 6 I'll be delighted, but I wouldn't be slashing my writs if we finished 7th or 8th.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

If it's not the top six it's not good enough because the standard has sunk. Surely emulating Dundee is incredibly modest

Consolidation.

If we finish top 6 I'll be delighted, but I wouldn't be slashing my writs if we finished 7th or 8th.

I would be slightly disappointed with 7th or 8th to be honest, though it would not be a disaster.

I hope we could do at least fourth or fifth, and I think it is achievable.

Gorgie_Rules

How will our budget look in relation to Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, Inverness? They dont have as big crowds as us (maybe Aberdeen on odd occasion) but they have had top league TV money, few European games, top flight ticket prices and on the park have players that are proven top 6 level.

Even if we have a larger budget I wouldnt expect us to compete with them straight away but we should have enough about us to get top 6. Hoping for better cup runs than usual

Back to 2005

Top 3 will be the target I would think for Neilson and Levein. Need to get Pallardo signed up and good quality replacements for Wilson and Zee though.

Enter every competition to win it. Aiming out with the 1st prize is shan. What's the point in playing otherwise?

Back to back titles please Hearts.

Cast No Shadow

Top six should always be the bare minimum. It being our "first season back" is an irrelevance.

There's very little difference between the lower end of the top 6 and the rest imo. We should be looking to challenge for the top places. I don't see great teams there and I think we'll be much stronger than last year and previous seasons.

williamgerrard

Be the surprise paackage and go for the title  now before i get shot down here.Our team now know how to win titles and we should go into the season with the same attidude as we just did to win the league realistic 2nd spot  is were we can finish but lets push celtic all the way

CollyWolly

Consolidation.

This is where I'm at too. Although the bottom 6 arent fantastic, they are all around the standard or better than QOTS, Falkirk and dare I say Hibs. There are no Cowdenbeaths, Alloas or Livingtsons up there either.

If we were to go in with roughly the same standard squad we have now I'd think we'd maybe struggle a bit against the likes of ICT, Aberdeen, Utd and definitely Celtic. Top 6 would be a great achievement in those circumstances. If we pull a few biggies out of the fishing pool in the summer then we MIGHT get a European spot. Whatever else we do this summer we'll need to get solidity at the back and that means 3 new defenders to me.

Very important not be to become embroiled in a relegation battle so consolidation is the first target. Relegation would be a disaster.

I reckon anywhere between 5th and 8th would be satisfactory, but that means we're going to,have to tolerate an awfu lot of defeats and draws compared with this season and I'm not sure too many are prepared for that or accept it might be the case.

heartofgold

We need to compete. I think we're a bit lightweight. Big Z showed us the value of having players able to hold their own physically

Top six is a result IMHO

Mister Dee

We're not physically strong enough for top 6 from what I can see.

Very much depends on recruitment.

I think we might get a few uncomfortable results next season.

LarrysRightFoot

The whole 'top 6' thing is an absolute joke. 6th is mid-table don't try and dress it up because SPL/SPFL have dressed it up as something it's not. It's an artificial achievement to finish in the 'top 6' - Dundee have less points that Hamilton - it's a joke!

Rant aside - we should be aiming for 4th at a minimum. We will take some teams by surprise no doubt.

Although as someone said above the mind set should be to try and win it. Because when each game is taken individually apart form possibly away to the Tic we will have a game plan to go and win the game.

This is where I'm at too. Although the bottom 6 arent fantastic, they are all around the standard or better than QOTS, Falkirk and dare I say Hibs. There are no Cowdenbeaths, Alloas or Livingtsons up there either.

If we were to go in with roughly the same standard squad we have now I'd think we'd maybe struggle a bit against the likes of ICT, Aberdeen, Utd and definitely Celtic. Top 6 would be a great achievement in those circumstances. If we pull a few biggies out of the fishing pool in the summer then we MIGHT get a European spot. Whatever else we do this summer we'll need to get solidity at the back and that means 3 new defenders to me.

Very important not be to become embroiled in a relegation battle so consolidation is the first target. Relegation would be a disaster.

I reckon anywhere between 5th and 8th would be satisfactory, but that means we're going to,have to tolerate an awfu lot of defeats and draws compared with this season and I'm not sure too many are prepared for that or accept it might be the case.

I dont think this team we have will accept lots of defeats the home grown core know what its like to lose week in and week out. But they also know what its like to win week in week out. They know what its like to go to places like Ibrox with no fear. And most crucially they know what its like to win titles! Now I'm not saying were going to win the SPL because we wont at least not next year anyway! But I would love for that to be the teams goal as was said bye someone above our club should be aiming to win all the competitions we can!

That being said the best campaign I can imagine us having would be 3rd place and a cup win (obviously I would love for us to win the Scottish Cup but I wouldn't hate for us to actually have a successful League Cup campaign for once!)

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Third at least. Europe should be the aim, but I see no reason why we shouldn't be challenging at the very top. Celtic have far greater resources, so it would take a biblical season to win the thing, but there is no reason whatsoever, why we should not challenging Aberdeen. Imo.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I will be watching the Well/Newco playoff with interest to gauge the quality at the bottom end of the league. From that it will maybe be clear how far we are off a top six place which should be out aim from the off.

And he's not praying

6 or 7 players will come in. Add them to what we've already got and anything other than top six would be a failure.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

Might be a struggle without the 9 point start we get from derbies.

Top 6 and keep playing decent football and I'll be happy.

Third at least. Europe should be the aim, but I see no reason why we shouldn't be challenging at the very top. Celtic have far greater resources, so it would take a biblical season to win the thing, but there is no reason whatsoever, why we should not challenging Aberdeen. Imo.

I'm with you on that Chaz.

Top 3 and i'll be happy, challenging celtic will be too big an ask at this stage anyway, would loov it if we beat Aberdeen to second but i'd take 3rd.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Have people taken a good look at the top six before posting?

portobellojambo1

I would like us to get into the top 6, but my view has always been that I'll not be disappointed if it is a case that in our first season back we stay in the league, learn from it and move on again the following season.

I would like us to get into the top 6, but my view has always been that I'll not be disappointed if it is a case that in our first season back we stay in the league, learn from it and move on again the following season.

All things being equal I'd agree with you there. In other words if we were going up with the same team I think I'd be happy but I think we'll have the best of last season and a new group of (hopefully) better players. Fingers crossed.

Consolidation.

I agree with this, i'll be delighted if we finish in the top 6 but for me this coming season is another step forward, we are moving up a division and we need to strengthen and consolidate.

I'd also agree that the spl is not particularly strong but we have just finished year 1 of a long term plan, lets not get carried away too much about what we can/want to achieve next season.

Pants Shaton

We will finish no lower than 4th.

Our management team would regard anything less as a massive failure, despite the sensible official pronouncements of aiming for the top six.

Cast No Shadow

Of the top six this season, minus Celtic obviously, only Aberdeen and Inverness are good sides currently. Caley will lose players this summer but do seem to sign well.

Dundee United aren't as good a side as they have been in recent years but still have some good players. It will be interesting to see who they recruit in the transfer window.

As for St. Johnstone and Dundee: both are bog standard dross and little different to the utter mince that make up the bottom six.

If Sevco don't go up, then 3rd or 4th at least has to be expected. If they do go up, then 5th would just about be acceptable because surely they won't remain as big a shambles as they are currently.

Hopefully we have at least one good cup run too.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I'm with you on that Chaz.

We should mark this occasion! It's not something that happens very often! :lol:

We will finish no lower than 4th.

Our management team would regard anything less as a massive failure, despite the sensible official pronouncements of aiming for the top six.

I disagree. Rome wasn't built in a day. As a club we will be hoping to get top six next year, into Europe the one after that.

Pants Shaton

I disagree. Rome wasn't built in a day. As a club we will be hoping to get top six next year, into Europe the one after that.

You can disagree all you want - it's a fact that that's how they view it.

You can disagree all you want - it's a fact that that's how they view it.

And you are going to prove this fact how?

Bazzas right boot

Apart from Celtic and Aberdeen ( maybe a spending Rangers), you could draw lots.

I expect Hamilton and Killie to have a hard time next season ( and Motherwell if they stay up)

Dundee, I think will improve, Utd look like they are going backwards, that will happen if you manager is bonused on transfer fees.

Ross County, St Johnstone will go un noticed.

Inverness have done well, but nothing to fear they could be a top 4 side again, or end up bottom.

Hopefully we can make the top six and then push for 4th.

The right mentality and attitude will be more important this year as there is very little between the teams in terms of talent.

I reckon 8th- 5th will be close and it will be tight for the top six, however once in there 6th-4th could be up for grabs.

This is the SPL not La Liga. We should be aiming for top 4 if Rangers stay down. If we recruit well then we can do it, yes we'll be playing against better teams but by the same token, we'll be stronger as well, with new signings, and our youngsters will have one more years experience.

If Rangers come up I reckon it will be more difficult but not impossible to finish top 4 but either way there's no danger we should be finishing bottom 6.

132goals1958

As a slight aside  if we are figuring in the top six I can see us having a few early kick offs and perhaps Friday evening schedules to accommodate TV. Obviously delighted to be back up but will miss the regular 3pm Saturday starts from last season

Bazzas right boot

This is the SPL not La Liga. We should be aiming for top 4 if Rangers stay down. If we recruit well then we can do it, yes we'll be playing against better teams but by the same token, we'll be stronger as well, with new signings, and our youngsters will have one more years experience.

If Rangers come up I reckon it will be more difficult but not impossible to finish top 4 but either way there's no danger we should be finishing bottom 6.

Yip, and we are Hearts not Valencia, but I agree with your bottom 6 comments.

Archived