Robbie's plans inculding info re Keatings and Zeefuik

CJGJ

He could be the size of a blue whale and most of us wouldn't care if he was scoring goals and helping the team create chances/ keep the passing game going. It's the disinterest that he's shown to help others out by a severe lack of movement and never even attempting to go for a high ball that, IMO, gets on people's nerves. There'll be no room for passengers next year if we're aiming high, so I'm happy with the circumstances.

Yet Robbie would like to keep him. 

theres also this attitude amongst some fans who think a player is too good to work hard and should just wait on the ball!

Total tosh. Maybe Zeefuik was instructed to play and stay central as much as possible but he's slowly descended to a stage where he's lost focus on what he's actually meant to do.

If you were there last week you'd see no impetus to say to the player in possession "give me it" or at any time attempt to run behind or bring that ebb and flow to his game when required. Very one dimensional and that dimension was zero input.

There's this rose tinted view he's an entity on the pitch waiting on that moment to ram in a goal or two but he'll have to work harder and get more involved v tougher teams to have an effect. No one is saying run around aimlessly because it is about timing too but there was literally no encouragement from him to indicate to his team mates he wanted the ball so bad.

Yes, good post, I started typing something similar but you put it better than I would have.

airdriejambo3

I'm all for his goals to games ratio. I don't expect him to run around like a headless chicken, just that little bit of movement (even going backwards or forwards 2 yards in the penalty box so a team mate can see he's available) instead of standing waiting/ looking like he's expecting the ball.

Sow, Walker and King worked their socks off to get the ball up to the final third in the derby, only for example, yet he was too busy staring into space to notice all they needed was for him to move half a yard back and they'd probably have given him the ball. Even if he only laid it off from there then it would have made us more dangerous in attack, his distribution and control, etc, is usually very good I have no doubt about that. But I think that lack of awareness/ concentration/ movement whatever it is demoralises the players that have tried to give him the service to score. We need someone next year in a similar mould but with the knowledge of when to make themselves available/ work for it and when to get further up and take the ball before sending it into the net IMO. From what I've seen so far all Zeefuik does is the latter...

:spoton:

If Keatings has decided to stay good on him. Could be a great striker for us, key is to give him service. Stop punting, start passing.

Good on Keatings staying and fighting. I admire that and I wish him the best of luck.

He certainly won't be a passenger!

He will be if he continues to miss as many chances as he has in the last 2 or 3 months....

FTFY. You're welcome :)

You haven't fixed anything for me. 

We haven't payed a transfer fee for anyone this season and I'd be surprised if we pay on for anyone next season. So the debate isn't about money but about the player, who you rate as, disinterested, severe lack of movement, never attempts for a high ball and a passenger. 

Despite that the manager would like to retain these services for the benefit of the team. 

So I'd suppose that one of you may be incorrect in your assessment of the player, unless ofcourse you would like to keep him as well, despite slating him?

I'm amazed that Robbie would keep Zee if he could. Must be better players available surely? ?

I know 10 goals in 13 games players are ten-a-penny theses days. 

Watt-Zeefuik

I was going to go back and re-watch the derby, but it looks like the video on Hearts TV is broken.  I was a bit hungover and not wide awake watching the derby Sunday morning, so I don't trust my memory on that one.

What I see Zeefuik consistently doing, though, is getting a center back on his back and sealing him out for position at the top of the box and then watching for opportunities.  A lot of times that's going to look like standing around, particularly if both centerbacks are in the area and there's no room for him.  I think teams have realized somewhat that his game centers around holding the ball up and taking time to turn, and are having the midfielders drop back and try to take the ball off of him when that happens.  I do remember several times in the derby him getting the ball in those positions and not being as strong with it as he has been in the past, or getting dispossessed.  Perhaps he was checked out on that one.

However, in the Rangers game when many other players were looking disinterested, he was offering more on offense than most other players.  He had a couple decent shots, made several good moves into the box that got no service, won three free kicks near the box, made a touch pass that partially released Sow on two different occasions, and was again on the spot to put the rebound away for our only goal.

And the noise that this news means Robbie doesn't rate him is funny.  Doesn't rate him so much he's played him every game of consequence since he arrived.

I'm with you. Waste of a precious wage. Unfit, looks disinterested most of the time, and will come up against far better, stronger and more physically fit players next year.

Oh, come on! We've been promoted to the SPL, not the Bundesliga. Do you honestly think that the likes of Partick, Hamilton, St Johnstone or Ross County, for example, have 'far better' players than us? That having been said, I think big Zee would have to show a lot more desire than we've seen in the last couple of weeks if he was to be a success in the SPL.

Getintaethem

I think Keatings is now in a similar situation to Robinson and Mackay this season. I doubt we'll see much of Keatings or Zeefuik next season.

Fozzyonthefence

I said I wasn't going to get into it again but this is simply absurd.  He's done nothing but score goals since he got here, and he has played on teammates with good passing repeatedly.

Some folks apparently feel that all strikers should do the headless chicken run constantly, which Keatings certainly has a tendency to do.  Zee is a striker in a different mould but that seems impossible for some to understand.

He absolutely puts no pressure on the ball other than playing the lane back to the near centerback on defense.  If he had that ability on top of his balance, touch, and control, he would never have been at Hearts this year.

Zee is lazy, a liability when we're we getting outplayed, as we've seen in recent games.  While not solely blaming him, I don't think it's a coincidence that the poorest performances have come with him in the team. Next season will be a tough season with no room for passengers / lazy players.  Defending needs to start up front - even Messi does his share of this at Barca so I don't understand why people are so willing to have a player here not prepared to put a shift in.  I'm not expecting him to run about like a headless chicken but at least some effort would be good to see.  At least Keatings can give defenders something to think about with his movement and can score a goal out of nothing.

I don't think he'll get the chance but if he did, I'm convinced Keatings would get more goals than Zee next season and bring much more to the team.

Fozzyonthefence

I think Keatings is now in a similar situation to Robinson and Mackay this season. I doubt we'll see much of Keatings or Zeefuik next season.

I think you're right (although will probably see none of Zee).  Good to see that Keatings is prepared to stay and fight for his place (although personally I think he might end up regretting it) but at least he has that mentality - I think it's safe to say Zee does not.

queensferryjambo

I would like to keep both but wouldn't pay for Zeefuik.

Remember Robbie sees Zeefuik in training every day and us the fans have only seen him 13 times - Robbie must see something he likes.

As for Keatings I really like him but think he will have to up his game for the Premiership. I honestly believe he can and will make progress and will be a big player for Hearts.

I think you're right (although will probably see none of Zee).  Good to see that Keatings is prepared to stay and fight for his place (although personally I think he might end up regretting it) but at least he has that mentality - I think it's safe to say Zee does not.

Reckon he'll have a significant part to play, unless we're overwhelmed with quality strikers next season. Remember we got knocked out both cups pretty early this season, leaving us with just the league to play for, next season I'm sure Robbie will fancy having a go at getting to the latter stages of The Scottish Cup and/or the League Cup, while also looking to push maybe top 4, so we'll need a big squad.

You haven't fixed anything for me.

We haven't payed a transfer fee for anyone this season and I'd be surprised if we pay on for anyone next season. So the debate isn't about money but about the player, who you rate as, disinterested, severe lack of movement, never attempts for a high ball and a passenger.

Despite that the manager would like to retain these services for the benefit of the team.

So I'd suppose that one of you may be incorrect in your assessment of the player, unless ofcourse you would like to keep him as well, despite slating him?

Anderson? Sure we paid a small fee for him?

Surely if he's not rated highly enough to be paid for then he isn't rated that highly?

For the above about Zeefuik, those are the qualities which I think he needs to work on. A little bit of movement and learning how to challenge for a ball at head height. Even Gomis will at least attempt to go for it and he's usually one of, if not, the smallest player on the park. That's why he looks disinterested to me, which he wouldn't if he would show a desire to get the ball from trickier areas.

He's good at scoring, he's good at laying the ball off, he's good at physically protecting the ball (when he gets it on the ground) and he's good with control and balance. The point I'm trying to make is that we need more next year. If he is willing to work on his weaker areas then yes, I would keep him. My preference is that we go for someone with a bit more variety in their good attributes though. If for nothing else than to take some of the pressure off midfield and also to lessen the overall teams workload. Otherwise I can see the midfielders and other attackers blowing out of steam within a month or 2 against harder opposition.

Zeefuik has been in the team for our worst performances - so have all the other major players in our team.

He has also been in the team for our best performances since he arrived and highest scores.

hmfc_liam06

I don't like the idea of potentially signing Zeefuik after the window. I'd much rather he was with us for pre-season so we can really work on him.

The planning will be well underway, they are not going to come out today and tell us everything in great detail. CL and RN will already know today whether Zee will be a Heats player next year. Let's just enjoy the summer and leave it to them, there's not s great deal we as fans can do to influence anything

Zeefuik is a strange one to me. I would have expected the more he played the sharper and more mobile he would get but it seems to be going the other way. He is like a statue up front and must be a joy for defenders to mark. Some people say this is due to poor service but he must take some responsibility for this as his movement is shocking.

The guy clearly has ability but to me looks like he lacks any real motivation to make the best of it and this is the reason he is kicking about in the Scottish championship instead of a higher level.

I really hope we don't pay cash for the big fella.

I agree, but then I don't want us to pay cash for anybody at this juncture unless it's a "nominal" fee.

Interesting folks response to his Keatings remark. The remark he made about Keatings is almost identical to the comments about Robinson yet it was roundly felt on here he was being "shown the door".

It's all about what you want to hear, I suppose.

the big show

Interesting folks response to his Keatings remark. The remark he made about Keatings is almost identical to the comments about Robinson yet it was roundly felt on here he was being "shown the door".

It's all about what you want to hear, I suppose.

What you have got to take out of the mangers honesty is that Keatings is not going to be 1st or 2nd choice striker , Now the mere fact he is saying you might only get 10 to 15 games which could even be less if the other strikers are doing well says a lot , now regardless if Keatings want's to stay and fight for his place or not you can see what has happened to Scott Robinson , on the other hand Jason Holt was told the same and has done well since he went on loan and been given game time at sheff utd , I hope it works out for Keats as he is another who gives a 100 % but i honestly feel his days could be numbered with hearts .

Archived