Anti IRA singing at the Scotland v England game

Nixie

The band are an official FA band, which is why the FA are apologising. The chants are facepalmtastic but not offensive unless you're offenfed by swearing.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Think the question here is why are there songs being sung about the IRA at a Scotland v England football match

England sing about the IRA at a lot of matches

Isn't football chanting of a political persuasion a no-no by FIFA?

If the FA is going to take on FIFA, then they need to be doing as much as possible to be clean themselves.

Probably goes back to the IRA bombings In Manchester,Bimingham,London etc but those were decades ago.The only other thing I can think of,Is that they associate Parkhead and It's support with the IRA.

Probably goes back to the IRA bombings In Manchester,Bimingham,London etc but those were decades ago.The only other thing I can think of,Is that they associate Parkhead and It's support with the IRA.

That should read,the connection of some of the Celtic support and the IRA.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

That'll have been one reason why it was so vociferous last night. But it's not like England don't sign about the IRA regularly anyway. Keep St George in my heart keep me English, etc.

Aye. Why?

Maybe because the IRA spent the best part of 30 years bombing English cities and killing innocent English civilians. That's just a hunch mind you. 

the IRA have nothing to do with a Scotland v England match and chants like this would fall under 'political chants' which could mean the FA being in trouble, hence the apology. No idea if england fans chant about this normally or it was just because the game was at celtics ground. As I said on another thread it was very much a minority of their fans singing it

Because they hate them? They've sung about the IRA for decades

the guys I saw singing it outside Wembley last year, hardly any of them were even born when the Good Friday agreement was signed.

Absolutely pointless

Maybe because the IRA spent the best part of 30 years bombing English cities and killing innocent English civilians. That's just a hunch mind you. 

so sing it when they are playing ireland

are the England football team the right vehicle for bringing up an already settled political conflict?

Dusk_Till_Dawn

are the England football team the right vehicle for bringing up an already settled political conflict?

:lol:

Of course not. But you do understand that some football fans are thick as shit? I'm pretty sure England's support don't meet for conferences beforehand to discuss geo-political issues and their involvement in them.

We_are_the_Hearts

You are wasting your time, there are bigots all over this country that use any vehicle they can to justify their views. This is the type of crap I hoped the referendum could start to eradicate, slowly weed out the knuckle draggers. A FOOTBALL match has no place for any of these songs. We will no doubt hear more sectarian/bigoted bile on Saturday.

:lol:

Of course not. But you do understand that some football fans are thick as shit? I'm pretty sure England's support don't meet for conferences beforehand to discuss geo-political issues and their involvement in them.

of course. It's just stupid.

Probably not but then I'm not an expert on politics. I only heard some daft/drunk fitba fans singing a song at a fitba match. My knickers remained well and truly untwisted.  

the IRA have nothing to do with a Scotland v England match and chants like this would fall under 'political chants' which could mean the FA being in trouble, hence the apology. No idea if england fans chant about this normally or it was just because the game was at celtics ground. As I said on another thread it was very much a minority of their fans singing it

Probably sung with extra gusto last night due to the stadium where the game was played is normally resident to a support who revel in singing songs glorifying IRA terrorists.

This is singing about a terrorist organisation that has murdered lots of innocent people and not about someone's religion. I don't have an issue with this.

People should remember that football is a working class sport.

This is singing about a terrorist organisation that has murdered lots of innocent people and not about someone's religion. I don't have an issue with this.

are all working class folk thick bigots like?

We_are_the_Hearts

I'm sure you would be just as voiceferous if it was Irish/Celtic fans singing about the UVF?

the guys I saw singing it outside Wembley last year, hardly any of them were even born when the Good Friday agreement was signed.

Absolutely pointless

The same could be said about the Drew Busby/Wayne Foster songs and younger Hearts fans.

fabienleclerq

You are wasting your time, there are bigots all over this country that use any vehicle they can to justify their views. This is the type of crap I hoped the referendum could start to eradicate, slowly weed out the knuckle draggers. A FOOTBALL match has no place for any of these songs. We will no doubt hear more sectarian/bigoted bile on Saturday.

What's sectarian and bigoted about not liking the IRA?

The same could be said about the Drew Busby/Wayne Foster songs and younger Hearts fans

Still on the first page and this thread has reached it's nadir.  You're not ******* about Ibrahim.

We_are_the_Hearts

What's sectarian and bigoted about not liking the IRA?

Nothing but I know the type that would condone it and sing it at a football match.

I think one point is that it seems to have been an official supporters band providing the music so they could be in trouble with UEFA/FIFA if they are seen to be encouraging fans to sing a political song with the dreaded F word representing about 20% of the content.

are all working class folk thick bigots like?

So anyone who has a dislike of murderous terrorist organisations are 'thick bigots'? That is very sad.

Anyone thinking Glasgow's not an appropriate place to be singing anti IRA songs (for those who wish to sing them) is either deluded or naieve.

There's more sectarian bigotry through there than anywhere else in Britain...and fine well we know it.

Celtic Park ffs.

So anyone who has a dislike of murderous terrorist organisations are 'thick bigots'? That is very sad.

I'd be surprised if anyone whose dislike of said organisation manifests itself as chanting **** The IRA at s football match wasn't both thick and a bigot but you never know.

We_are_the_Hearts

So why not sing about the Taliban or ISIS or the Germans? We all know why as it doesn't suit the underlying agendas. The fact that some of them haven't got the baws to admit makes it even worse, hiding behind excuses.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

So why not sing about the Taliban or ISIS or the Germans? We all know why as it doesn't suit the underlying agendas. The fact that some of them haven't got the baws to admit makes it even worse, hiding behind excuses.

England fans, obviously, have never sung about the Germans.

Anyone thinking Glasgow's not an appropriate place to be singing anti IRA songs (for those who wish to sing them) is either deluded or naieve.

There's more sectarian bigotry through there than anywhere else in Britain...and fine well we know it.

Celtic Park ffs.

There's so many things wrong with that post it's terrifying

fabienleclerq

Nothing but I know the type that would condone it and sing it at a football match.

The type that dislike terrorism? its mad that this gets more coverage than the sfa doing nothing to stop songs glorifying it.

We_are_the_Hearts

The type that dislike terrorism? its mad that this gets more coverage than the sfa doing nothing to stop songs glorifying it.

Agree with you on the second part 100%

Archived