Could UEFA quit FIFA?

tartofmidlothian

pettigrewsstylist

As an organisation in their current state FIFA are dead and buried, It hit a low point for me with the South African WC nonsense

It has become a vile  organisation ran like a dictatorship by less than transparent individuals

Bin it,, and call a new organisation FIFA2 or the likes

oh ,,and dont forget the indictment for the top dog!!

I did wonder this week about whether a hardcore of key footballing countries could or would breakaway from FIFA.

You just need 4 top nations - say Germany, Spain, France and the Dutch and the rest will follow.

tartofmidlothian

I did wonder this week about whether a hardcore of key footballing countries could or would breakaway from FIFA.

You just need 4 top nations - say Germany, Spain, France and the Dutch and the rest will follow.

I reckon England will be at the head of the queue. Germany sound like they'd be up for it and Australia have no reason to love them.

It is about time some serious pressure was applied to them. It is actually shocking that Blatter is still employed by them.

FIFA is fundamentally rotten to the core.

If only the fans could DO something to return the game to the fans but, that doesn't even happen in Scotland with the grossly inefficient denizens running the SFA and the SPFL - so, what chance have we got.

Only action by the BIG nations will see something happening and, there is another kind of corruption there.

A Boy Named Crow

• It worries me that all that would happen with a UEFA breakaway would be the Champions Leagification of world football.  The CL has been a disaster for wealth distribution around Europe, with the big clubs from the big countries encasing themselves in this never ending money making machine, while the rest can rot.

Remnants of Standards

I don't have much if any time for the English FA normally but they were laughably hung out to dry this week with that joke of a report.

If the TVS Companies could be persuaded to use there muscle then there

Is a chance of change.

I agree with a previous post, the CL has only benefitted a few clubs. There

Needs to be a better distribution of wealth.

tartofmidlothian

Big problem [possibly] is that those at the UEFA top table [trough] are very cosy with their FIFA counterpigs

I think if a few of the big individual FAs put some pressure on that could change things. Platini's infinitely preferable to Sepp IMO.

The reason why Blatter's still in charge? He brings a whack of money into the game, despite doing it in circumstances which many find morally questionable.

All the European nations should say we are quitting and the sponsors will soon get things moving to remove these dinosaurs. Pigs with snouts in the trough times 100 lol

Surely the best way to do it is to get pressure from the sponsors.

Get the likes of Adidas, Coca Cola and McDonalds to put pressure on them.

kingantti1874

• It worries me that all that would happen with a UEFA breakaway would be the Champions Leagification of world football. The CL has been a disaster for wealth distribution around Europe, with the big clubs from the big countries encasing themselves in this never ending money making machine, while the rest can rot.

While this is true - the champions league is a cartel.. I think the issues are separate.. FIFA is an irrelevance to club football and any withdrawal from Fifa will not affect club football at any level

A Boy Named Crow

A Boy Named Crow

It worries me that all that would happen with a UEFA breakaway would be the Champions Leagification of world football. The CL has been a disaster for wealth distribution around Europe, with the big clubs from the big countries encasing themselves in this never ending money making machine, while the rest can rot.

Kinganti

While this is true - the champions league is a cartel.. I think the issues are separate.. FIFA is an irrelevance to club football and any withdrawal from Fifa will not affect club football at any level

A Boy Named Crow

If UEFA broke away and a new FIFA was created in its image, it would be pretty terrible. I'm seeing automatic qualification for 'big money' countries for a start. I know this doesn't matter at the club level, I was thinking more about international football becoming more like the CL.

A Boy Named Crow

If UEFA broke away and a new FIFA was created in its image, it would be pretty terrible. I'm seeing automatic qualification for 'big money' countries for a start. I know this doesn't matter at the club level, I was thinking more about international football becoming more like the CL.

That would be the same UEFA who have increased the numbers who can qualify for a major tournament..hardly a closed shop.

The same UEFA who have helped smaller countries champions qualify for the group stages of the champions league by ensuring that champions do not play 3rd or 4th qualifiers from the stronger leagues.. again hardly closing the doors to the weak.

UEFA is not perfect but it is by far the best run federation within FIFA because there are people within it who realise that corruption cannot be tolerated and that within much of Europe the truth will come out because there is a free press and investigations will follow.

Much of the rest of the worlds football is run by shysters, money grabbers and corrupt politicians who have been allowed to run their own personal fiefdoms without interruption or questioning by those at the top in FIFA who rely on their votes to stay in power...and we all know who that is.

Those people vote him in knowing he will not investigate their activities to any great extent............we need sponsors to threaten to pull out, we need someone to stand against him and expose his actions and we need politicians to get involved telling him investigations are going to be raised in individual countries re FIFA activities...........much as threats like this helped clean up to some extent the Olympic games bidding process.......come on FBI time to get involved.

When some realise they could be jailed they will soon learn a lesson.

FIFA needs UEFA's money and had we someone with a bit more about them than Platini (who is trying to protect his standing in world football and looking forward to the day he may run things hence his reluctance to do more or say more about corruption in other federations) we may well have seen change by now.

Time for a number of counties to form a new breakaway organisation.

West Dunbartonshire will be the first!  :toff:

That would be the same UEFA who have increased the numbers who can qualify for a major tournament..hardly a closed shop.

The same UEFA who have helped smaller countries champions qualify for the group stages of the champions league by ensuring that champions do not play 3rd or 4th qualifiers from the stronger leagues.. again hardly closing the doors to the weak.

UEFA is not perfect but it is by far the best run federation within FIFA because there are people within it who realise that corruption cannot be tolerated and that within much of Europe the truth will come out because there is a free press and investigations will follow.

Much of the rest of the worlds football is run by shysters, money grabbers and corrupt politicians who have been allowed to run their own personal fiefdoms without interruption or questioning by those at the top in FIFA who rely on their votes to stay in power...and we all know who that is.

Those people vote him in knowing he will not investigate their activities to any great extent............we need sponsors to threaten to pull out, we need someone to stand against him and expose his actions and we need politicians to get involved telling him investigations are going to be raised in individual countries re FIFA activities...........much as threats like this helped clean up to some extent the Olympic games bidding process.......come on FBI time to get involved.

When some realise they could be jailed they will soon learn a lesson.

FIFA needs UEFA's money and had we someone with a bit more about them than Platini (who is trying to protect his standing in world football and looking forward to the day he may run things hence his reluctance to do more or say more about corruption in other federations) we may well have seen change by now.

Scotland excepted, of course - so far!!!

Surely the best way to do it is to get pressure from the sponsors.

Get the likes of Adidas, Coca Cola and McDonalds to put pressure on them.

Thing is though Nike, Pepsi and Burger King would be ready to step in.

Funnily enough, see this the other day? The FBI ARE investigating! :cornette:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fifa-world-cup-corruption-report-4623643

Doesn't really surprise me, they were shafted more than anyone really by the Qatar farce. Not sure what authority they'd have to "convict" anyone though as the story implies? Assuming none of corruption took place on US soil theres surely nothing they can do.

tartofmidlothian

Doesn't really surprise me, they were shafted more than anyone really by the Qatar farce. Not sure what authority they'd have to "convict" anyone though as the story implies? Assuming none of corruption took place on US soil theres surely nothing they can do.

I'd say any international sporting body with the FBI seriously on their case is some degree or other of fecked.

The Gary McKinnon case, amongst others, showed that the USA don't appear to think it's necessary for any crime to have taken place on US soil in order for them to have jurisdiction.

The Gary McKinnon case, amongst others, showed that the USA don't appear to think it's necessary for any crime to have taken place on US soil in order for them to have jurisdiction.

I'd agree they like to think of theirselves as the 'World Police' but in McKinnons case didn't he allegedly hack the Department of Defence and NASA? Which while not in the US basically would be a crime against the US. (I don't know the specifics of the case so I may be wrong)

FIFAs only real 'crime' against the U.S. was basically taking someone else's bribe over their own which would surely be more of a corruption issue for authorities in Switzerland and in the respective countries of the FA's who voted?

David Bernstein suggesting UEFA threaten to boycott the Russian WC unless things change.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30077311

I quite like the sound of this to try and get things changed within FIFA.. They could instead hold a one off Euro championships for the teams that qualified and invite some other world nations to take part..

michael_bolton

QUOTE ENDS

This forgets that it was on UEFA's watch that the frankly appalling financial model of the CL was allowed to develop. The qualification expansion is also nothing to do with fairness. It's a reaction to England missing Euro 2008 (and other high profile misses in the past). Big teams missing out is bad for sponsors, so they've created a ridiculous, lop-sided competition.

The expansion to 24 teams has destroyed the integrity of what was the best international competition. 16 was perfect.

David Bernstein suggesting UEFA threaten to boycott the Russian WC unless things change.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30077311

Bit harsh on Russia. As a host Russia would likely do a good job, it's historically a football mad nation, it's got getting/the stadiums, climate wise it's fine and it would also be a "new" host. The only real negative is the potential racism angle but the exact same thing was said about Poland/Ukraine which passed without incident, I seem to remember Panorama on the BBC in particular with Sol Campbell claiming all black England fans would come home in coffins if they went...

Russia being a member of UEFA as well would surely be a conflict of interest?

Sounds like Bernsteins talking out his arse and still bitter England lost.

If UEFA were to quit, they'd be quickly joined by USA, Canada, Australia, Brazil, Argentina and all the small honest countries.

The big sponsors & TV companies will all back the new org.

Old FIFA will be left with all the little corrupt countries from the Arab world, Africa & the Caribean, who helped cause this mess in the first place.

The new FIFA needs to be open and transparent from day 1 (if it happens).  This is long overdue.

I reckon England will be at the head of the queue. Germany sound like they'd be up for it and Australia have no reason to love them.

I honestly would rather have got up in the middle of the night to watch matches in Australia than see it go to Qatar.  The Aussies are simply mad for sport and I have no doubt would have put on a great show.  It's not their fault they are geographically remote. 

And you could get a beer and gays would be welcomed with open arms.

michael_bolton

It's not about geography, as far as I can see. Seems FIFA are keen on World Cups in countries requiring big stadium building and infrastructure schemes costing lots of money.

I can't for the life of me work out why...

I remember reading that the whole back story to Blatter becoming president is still relatively quiet and hushed. Would have loved Platini to stand against him as was mooted. Don't think FIFA needs to die, it needs reformed. The fact it's self policing is something that needs changed and fast. The regional associations should be shareholders of the group. Pay for it's upkeep rather than the money grab at each World Cup.

Rules need brought in about who can apply for world cups as well. Qatar is a shambles and it's human costs are appalling. Christ, the Observor last week ran a two page article on how they're using North Korean workers where the money the workers are paid is laundered back to the Kims. Shambolic.

Boycotting that competition has to happen. National FAs would do well to start being vocal about this nonsense. Which fair play to the English FA, they have been vocal.

All it needs is Germany, England, Spain, France, Holland, Portugal and Italy to say we are going to have our own World Championship invite Australia USA and others then you would get change at FIFA

All it needs is Germany, England, Spain, France, Holland, Portugal and Italy to say we are going to have our own World Championship invite Australia USA and others then you would get change at FIFA

People should be careful what they wish for in that context, if the major nations are going to leave and set up their own tournament/organisation why risk a qualification process? Perhaps the "top 20" will qualify automatically etc? Let's not kid ourselves here no one is arguing for the good of the game or fans, it's purely for self interest. If England had been picked you wouldn't have heard a peep from the British media.

Optimus Prime

• It worries me that all that would happen with a UEFA breakaway would be the Champions Leagification of world football.  The CL has been a disaster for wealth distribution around Europe, with the big clubs from the big countries encasing themselves in this never ending money making machine, while the rest can rot.

This would be my concern as well. As much as FIFA are rotten to the core and Blatters position is untenable any breakaway may be a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Archived