Artificial pitches

Maroon Sailor

Maroon Sailor

Accies doing the business again on their own plastic.

2-0 up v Aberdeen

Unfair advantage or Accies not a bad side ?

Wrong forum !

• 1 year later...

There is nothing wrong with good artificial pitches.

Bad and poorly maintained ones, there is a lot wrong. If this is the case with Killie, then Robbie is right to call it out.

so what are the maintenance costs I wonder

and should SPFL insist on certain standards

unless its a compromise where they don't want to stop clubs benefiting from all week round use but know they can't afford to maintain them properly

Maroon Sailor

Never been a fan of the plastic pitches though they have come on since QPR first installed it in the early 80's.

I was in London around about 85 and went to a QPR v Coventry match and it was horrendous to watch - hard to get it down and play on that surface - awful match.

Artificial pitches can be brutal on your body.

I've got a dodgy disk in my lower back and a knee that was badly damaged in a game when I was about 16.

10 years later the only time in a game I get serious bother is on an artificial pitch and it's always the next day. My knee aches and my back usually flares up. Regardless of how good they are they don't protect your body as well as natural grass and earth does.

That said my mate has played on the new 5g pitch at Glasgow green and he says it's brilliant and much better than the 4G pitches.

Harry Potter

I've got a dodgy disk in my lower back and a knee that was badly damaged in a game when I was about 16.

10 years later the only time in a game I get serious bother is on an artificial pitch and it's always the next day. My knee aches and my back usually flares up. Regardless of how good they are they don't protect your body as well as natural grass and earth does.

That said my mate has played on the new 5g pitch at Glasgow green and he says it's brilliant and much better than the 4G pitches.

Don't like them, look at Alloa, bad pitch, should all be proper grass making it an even playing field.

In about five years ALL league football will be played on 6G or 7G pitches, grass will be seen as quaint, like flat caps or black boots.

Stephen Muddie

so what are the maintenance costs I wonder

and should SPFL insist on certain standards

unless its a compromise where they don't want to stop clubs benefiting from all week round use but know they can't afford to maintain them properly

I think governing bodies should be all over pitches not being up to scratch. In many ways it would make sense for the authorities to actually hold the purse strings for pitches league-wide. There can be no excuses for the underselling of our already diminishing product that way. Pisses me the **** off tbh how so-called top flight clubs can't keep their grass or plastic for that matter, in decent shape. It's an absolute must to have a top quality playing surface. I think bad pitches are at the root of muc of our development woes too, although things are getting better, there are not enough FREE places to play.

fabienleclerq

In about five years ALL league football will be played on 6G or 7G pitches, grass will be seen as quaint, like flat caps or black boots.

Want a bet in fives years it won't be?

Jambof3tornado

Don't like them, look at Alloa, bad pitch, should all be proper grass making it an even playing field.

You cant use Alloa's as an example of all. Its well overused and should have been relaid 3 seasons ago!!

Falkirks is decent.

A good astro is better than a bad grass/mudbath!!

This is the bet: For the start of the 2022/23 season, the majority of Scottish top league games will be on artificial pitches.

Some clubs will stick with grass to be traditional but most will see the financial benefits of being able to use the pitch 24/7.

Hate them personally. Takes off 500 layers of skin when you slide on it. Way too bouncy too but maybe the newer ones are better.

Harry Potter

You cant use Alloa's as an example of all. Its well overused and should have been relaid 3 seasons ago!!

Falkirks is decent.

A good astro is better than a bad grass/mudbath!!

Yes you can use it as an example, one bad pitch is one too many.

Simple fact,

Maybe 2nd Tier use but all SPL should be grass, IMO.

chester copperpot

Never played on 5G pitch before however I played on a 4G pitch last January at St Ambrose academy in Coatbridge and it was much much better than anything I'd ever played on before, artificially wise!

fabienleclerq

This is the bet: For the start of the 2022/23 season, the majority of Scottish top league games will be on artificial pitches.

Some clubs will stick with grass to be traditional but most will see the financial benefits of being able to use the pitch 24/7.

?50 ill nominate big hearts as my charity to recieve the winnings.

The Treasurer

Yes you can use it as an example, one bad pitch is one too many.

Simple fact,

Maybe 2nd Tier use but all SPL should be grass, IMO.

By that argument, all grass pitches should be judged by the standard of Fir Park.

I think governing bodies should be all over pitches not being up to scratch. In many ways it would make sense for the authorities to actually hold the purse strings for pitches league-wide. There can be no excuses for the underselling of our already diminishing product that way. Pisses me the **** off tbh how so-called top flight clubs can't keep their grass or plastic for that matter, in decent shape. It's an absolute must to have a top quality playing surface. I think bad pitches are at the root of muc of our development woes too, although things are getting better, there are not enough FREE places to play.

I think if we compare pitches to what they were like just 20 years ago then the progress is obvious. I think only Motherwell in the top league can be accused of having a poor pitch, although rangers always seem to have a problem as well.

Winston Ingram

They were watering that pitch at Kilmarnock before kick off on Saturday. I'm no expert but, given the amount of rain that has battered the west coast, why would they have any cause to do that? 

Harry Potter

By that argument, all grass pitches should be judged by the standard of Fir Park.

Good point, has that not been re-laid again, if not it should be.

Tayside Jambo

I referee a lot on Plastic pitches in the Angus area. Utd's training one at the back of Tannadice and the Dundee Uni ones are ok as they are maintained well. Best is Links Park in Montrose. Was there last night for a junior friendly and other than being a bit slippy due to extra rain. Think it might be a 5g, was relaid in the summer and has made a huge difference. none of that black pebbly stuff!

I referee a lot on Plastic pitches in the Angus area. Utd's training one at the back of Tannadice and the Dundee Uni ones are ok as they are maintained well. Best is Links Park in Montrose. Was there last night for a junior friendly and other than being a bit slippy due to extra rain. Think it might be a 5g, was relaid in the summer and has made a huge difference. none of that black pebbly stuff!

That will be the new 5g. My mate said it didn't have the black crap in it.

I'm coaching tonight on a 4G surface.

Means another hounding from the wife after I trail rubber from the door to the bathroom.

Tayside Jambo

That will be the new 5g. My mate said it didn't have the black crap in it.

I'm coaching tonight on a 4G surface.

Means another hounding from the wife after I trail rubber from the door to the bathroom.

Aye, the ball holds up a bit better on it I feel and actually looks a bit more like turf than a 4G/Astro.

That's one of the most annoying bits (minus the injuries) of 4G. Mum had me strip at the back door and shake all clothes to get rid of the bits before entering the house as she was fed up of them just appearing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

still interested in what is done to maintain these pitches and why Kilmarnock and before them Hamilton are being accused of not maintaining them properly

what are they not doing and why

of course there is the debate about the pitches themselves

Kilmarnock's pitch is bad due to the groundsman not maintaining it right. He was told numerous times how to keep it good,but didn't bother his hole.

The little rubber bits are the biggest pain! They end up everywhere. I even found a few in my cornflakes one morning..

That's me just back in from 2 hours on a 4g pitch and I have something amazing to report.

New pair of Adidas Mundial boots. Not a spec of rubber got into them.

Wanted a pair of puma kings but these might just be my new favourite boots.

Bazzas right boot

The little rubber bits are the biggest pain! They end up everywhere. I even found a few in my cornflakes one morning..

Eat your cornflakes from a bowl, not your boot.

I'll take that bet.

It will be a grass based hybrid like the same technology used in most modern day stadiums around the globe. Every nfl and most premiership grounds in England use the technology. Even the SRU have it in their ground. Quite breathtaking the technology the grass isn't exactly rooted. I'm sure someone posted a you tube li know here last year

Hearts of Vladland

Just to clarify, we are still on at the 3rd generation of sports pitches, 4g or 5g is just a sales technique.

Just to clarify, we are still on at the 3rd generation of sports pitches, 4g or 5g is just a sales technique.

5g are being installed now. Glasgow green just got one.

Taken from powerleague website.

GLASGOW

Champions of 5-a-side Football

Lucozade Powerleague Glasgow offers the first 5G colour pitch surfaces in Scotland, including a brand new 7-a-side pitch. This newly refurbished soccer centres is at the heart of Glasgow's 5-a-side and small-sided football community and now boasts the latest in facilities. With 10 colourful, state-of-the-art 5G five-a-side pitches and a seven-aside pitch, there's simply no other venue in the city capable of satisfying your football craving - and we even have new goal sizes for a different game experience on our top three pitches. our bar area has had a complete refurbishment, creating a modern and contemporary space and featuring a brand new kids party room,  plus we've had an internal reconfiguration and a changing room upgrade. Lucozade Powerleague Glasgow is the home of small-sided football.

Hearts of Vladland

5g are being installed now. Glasgow green just got one.

Taken from powerleague website.

GLASGOW

Champions of 5-a-side Football

Lucozade Powerleague Glasgow offers the first 5G colour pitch surfaces in Scotland, including a brand new 7-a-side pitch. This newly refurbished soccer centres is at the heart of Glasgow's 5-a-side and small-sided football community and now boasts the latest in facilities. With 10 colourful, state-of-the-art 5G five-a-side pitches and a seven-aside pitch, there's simply no other venue in the city capable of satisfying your football craving - and we even have new goal sizes for a different game experience on our top three pitches. our bar area has had a complete refurbishment, creating a modern and contemporary space and featuring a brand new kids party room, plus we've had an internal reconfiguration and a changing room upgrade. Lucozade Powerleague Glasgow is the home of small-sided football.

Is that the one in Townhead? I was working on the install of that pitch, I work for a sports pitch lighting firm, it is just a standard 3G pitch and not even a good one at that, much better pitches out there than that one. Which pitch in Glasgow Green? One of the fives? In fact it will be the pitch at the back on the right hand side again it is only a 3G pitch.

Is that the one in Townhead? I was working on the install of the that pitch, I work for a sports pitch lighting firm, it is just a standard 3G pitch and not even a good one at that, much better pitches out there than that one. Which pitch in Glasgow Green? One of the fives?

I haven't played on it personally. It'd the one at the green I coach kids but games aren't at the green very often. It was a mate of mine who said he was on it. No more rubber bits and a really nice surface to play on he said.

Hearts of Vladland

I haven't played on it personally. It'd the one at the green I coach kids but games aren't at the green very often. It was a mate of mine who said he was on it. No more rubber bits and a really nice surface to play on he said.

I was at Glasgow Green at the point they put the carpet out, I haven't been on it since they have filled it, I'd be surprised if it was just rubber infill, can't think of what they would use as a substitute

http://www.5-a-side.com/uncategorized/artificial-grass-3g-4g-pitches/

I was at Glasgow Green at the point they put the carpet out, I haven't been on it since they have filled it, I'd be surprised if it was just rubber infill, can't think of what they would use as a substitute

http://www.5-a-side.com/uncategorized/artificial-grass-3g-4g-pitches/

I'm not going to pretend to be a pitch expert.

All I know is the ones I've played on leave me hurting like buggery and my mate told me about the green installing a 5g 7s pitch that had no rubber bits and was good to play on.

I'm not going to pretend to be a pitch expert.

All I know is the ones I've played on leave me hurting like buggery and my mate told me about the green installing a 5g 7s pitch that had no rubber bits and was good to play on.

I remember a few years back playing on a new pitch at World of Football/Corn Exchange and we all thought great no black bits, but the 'grass' seemed a bit long. 

Next week there was black bits. They'd just let us use the pitch before it was finished.   :rolleyes;

I worked for a company that installs the pitches.. There's no 4 and 5g it is just a sales tactic.. Hearts have the top of the range carpet at riccarton

Archived