Gascoigne

Gregory House M.D.

Those photos are frightening. I'm a year older than him and while I don't think for a minute I don't look 48 I still look a hell of a lot better than him.

Gregory House M.D.

Those photos are frightening. I'm a year older than him and while I don't think for a minute I don't look 48 I still look a hell of a lot better than him.

Check the one The Sun is running with. Absolutely harrowing.

Check the one The Sun is running with. Absolutely harrowing.

If it's the same one I'm thinking of, he looks about 70.

I P Knightley

http://www.theguardi...day-league-side

A report on him signing for a team, Abbey FC. I know he won't be in good shape but surely able to run to some extent if he's signed.

He won't turn up for anything there. He "signed" a paper in the back of a cab while he was out getting fags. He won't remember any of it.

I looked at the first article and read some comments about looking about seventy, I then found an article that says he is forty seven. Looking at the pictures i honestly thought he was in his sixties or at least a well worn fifties, that is totally pathetic. You feel in some ways you should be sorry for him, then you think of other productive people his age who have had their life taken from them, and I have to say my feeling now is either shape up, or remain a useless piece of crap, and a curse on those who report such useless non productive drivel, about a human who was given all of lifes opportunities and has completely wasted every thing life has offered him.

I looked at the first article and read some comments about looking about seventy, I then found an article that says he is forty seven. Looking at the pictures i honestly thought he was in his sixties or at least a well worn fifties, that is totally pathetic. You feel in some ways you should be sorry for him, then you think of other productive people his age who have had their life taken from them, and I have to say my feeling now is either shape up, or remain a useless piece of crap, and a curse on those who report such useless non productive drivel, about a human who was given all of lifes opportunities and has completely wasted every thing life has offered him.

He got those opportunities himself through his talent and the good fortune that elite footballers are paid well. I can only imagine that "shaping up" is not a question of selfishness and more about being unable to control a compulsion. Being hospitalised in the long term might be a solution, who knows?

I don't think I've ever seen someone in their 40's look so old.

It's just a matter of time till one of these binges finishes him off.

Never Let Them Forget

How many chances does that guy need though??? He's had all the help possible from the best about it's just inevitable what's going to happen next.

Alcoholism is a horrible disease. I get the feeling most people here think its through choice that people get addicted to alcohol and just carry on drinking. Im sure Gazza would love to be able to kick the bottle for good but he just cant, Its very sad.

Do the same people say the same things about people with depression that they do for people with alcoholism? They arent too dissimilar and more often than not they are linked.

He got those opportunities himself through his talent and the good fortune that elite footballers are paid well. I can only imagine that "shaping up" is not a question of selfishness and more about being unable to control a compulsion. Being hospitalised in the long term might be a solution, who knows?

I seem to recall in previous reports he has been hospitalised possibly even numerous times. He was born with his talents, and used them well, he was paid well, and like many others could have used his talents to help others make the best of theirs, just like many other footballers who utilised to the best the talents they were born with, and

when age caught up with them went into coaching or other avenues of providing advice to football hopefuls.

Many people, with less financial backing than he has have overcome on a day to day basis their compulsion, he has selfishly not made the attempt, this is selfish, there must be people who love or have loved him, he gives no thought to the trauma he is inflicting upon them, other than being a formerly famous footballer, he is no different to the chronic drunks you see lying, and staggering about in any City.

Excelent Bob

Sadly I thought you being of a mature age would have a mature point of view. Sadly I was mistaken.

How can you say going into rehab 7 times not trying to overcome it? Have you ever suffered a serious addiction out of interest? If you have and you overcame it then I tip my hat off to you as it is not easy.

Just ask a heroin addict trying to come off it, a smoker trying to quit, someone addicted to prescription drugs trying to stop, and alcoholic trying to quit.

Gazza's main problem is that he is very well known and is in the spotlight so any public troubles will be highlighted in the media which makes it easier for joe public to turn round and call them whatever they fancy.

Out of interest would you go into the depression thread on JKB and say "just get over it" to people posting in there? No because its an illness and a horrible one at that.

I seem to recall in previous reports he has been hospitalised possibly even numerous times. He was born with his talents, and used them well, he was paid well, and like many others could have used his talents to help others make the best of theirs, just like many other footballers who utilised to the best the talents they were born with, and

when age caught up with them went into coaching or other avenues of providing advice to football hopefuls.

Many people, with less financial backing than he has have overcome on a day to day basis their compulsion, he has selfishly not made the attempt, this is selfish, there must be people who love or have loved him, he gives no thought to the trauma he is inflicting upon them, other than being a formerly famous footballer, he is no different to the chronic drunks you see lying, and staggering about in any City.

"He has selfishly not made the attempt"- how can you say that?

"He has selfishly not made the attempt"- how can you say that?

Basically because it is how I feel, to correct yourself from addiction or alcoholism, you must make the attempt or apply the effort to succeed, his failure to either make the attempt by including the effort because of his frequent relapses indicate to me a selfishness, that must put duress on those who care. I realise that alcoholism can be a disease, I don't know if it has been diagnosed in this case, I do suspect that there are some cases also where a lifestyle can lead to a problem with drink. I am sure most of us have seen where someone who has money,or loves a good time, which has in fact progressed into a problem, where the alcohol consumption is no longer a pleasure but becomes a thing of necessity.

Basically because it is how I feel, to correct yourself from addiction or alcoholism, you must make the attempt or apply the effort to succeed, his failure to either make the attempt by including the effort because of his frequent relapses indicate to me a selfishness, that must put duress on those who care. I realise that alcoholism can be a disease, I don't know if it has been diagnosed in this case, I do suspect that there are some cases also where a lifestyle can lead to a problem with drink. I am sure most of us have seen where someone who has money,or loves a good time, which has in fact progressed into a problem, where the alcohol consumption is no longer a pleasure but becomes a thing of necessity.

Yeah, I have most certainly seen it.

I am just wondering how you can state he hasn't attempted to beat his alcohlism. How do you know?

Addiction is a pretty powerful force. Just because you haven't overcome it, doesn't mean you haven't tried.

ToadKiller Dog

Gazza has had demons most of his life was in therapy for a short time as a young kid , suffered from obsessions and twitches .

His Dad pulled him out of therapy as he didn't think it worked .

saw a friend killed when he was 10 .

I think while he had his football he had a distraction from life which for a time helped him cope .

Maybe the fame in the end wasn't good long term for him .

Gregory House M.D.

Excelent Bob

Sadly I thought you being of a mature age would have a mature point of view. Sadly I was mistaken.

How can you say going into rehab 7 times not trying to overcome it? Have you ever suffered a serious addiction out of interest? If you have and you overcame it then I tip my hat off to you as it is not easy.

Just ask a heroin addict trying to come off it, a smoker trying to quit, someone addicted to prescription drugs trying to stop, and alcoholic trying to quit.

Gazza's main problem is that he is very well known and is in the spotlight so any public troubles will be highlighted in the media which makes it easier for joe public to turn round and call them whatever they fancy.

Out of interest would you go into the depression thread on JKB and say "just get over it" to people posting in there? No because its an illness and a horrible one at that.

Gascoignes had the best help available to him and has signed out of rehab centres before. He just goes straight back to the bottle. Even with other peoples money paying for him he does it again and again.

He's a wifebeater and is destroying the lifes of his family who have fo see him like this time and again.

I remember celebrities clubbing together to get him into Rehab. He was pictured at the airport on the way there drinking a pint. The man's an arse.

Alcoholism is a terrible affliction but I find it difficult to feel sorry for Gascoihne.

Regal Kingston

Wish the papers would just leave him alone.

Every few months we see these kind of photos and the same drivel is quoted.

Fallen idol (47)

Ex-England ace

The Sun have picked one where he looks barely human. I would not be surprised if they photo-shopped it for greater effect.

I feel for him massively and have always hoped he would beat his demons.

He still can and must remain positive.

He needs to do something that's going to change his life - no idea what!

A move away from the UK may be an idea

Gregory House M.D.

If it wasn't for the papers he'd already be dead. Particularly The Sun.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

The only thing wrong with his behaviour is not doing it the "Best" way and pumping every bursd that moves within 40 yards of him. If I was him that would be my biggest regret.

Chris Benoit

Gascoignes had the best help available to him and has signed out of rehab centres before. He just goes straight back to the bottle. Even with other peoples money paying for him he does it again and again.

He's a wifebeater and is destroying the lifes of his family who have fo see him like this time and again.

I remember celebrities clubbing together to get him into Rehab. He was pictured at the airport on the way there drinking a pint. The man's an arse.

Alcoholism is a terrible affliction but I find it difficult to feel sorry for Gascoihne.

Sums it up perfectly for me

People think drug dealers are the scum of the earth when they see the havoc caused on junkies

But never a word spoken about the people that sell people like gascoigne alcohol.

Really can't separate the two personally.

doctor jambo

Gascoine is ill. He is alcoholic and not in control.

It is very easy to beat an addiction for hours or days- it is the months and years that get you, and the fact that in a moment of temptation ( and addiction is a life long problem) as soon as you have one that's it- the neuro channels re-open full bore and you may as well have not stopped at all

And alcohol is a bigger problem than heroin

I feel for gazza- it is really easy to feel for him

I find the "he's rich so he shouldn't get ill" vibe hilarious

fabienleclerq

I agree with some of this but on the whole I don't. Pictured with a pint on the way to rehab? He's an alcoholic and if it's right in front of him what do you expect? Rehab doesn't work for everyone, he obviously suffers from various mental diseases that you may or may not acknowledge but saying you can't feel sorry for him is harsh imo.

I P Knightley

I find this a very surprising post from you, Bob. You're normally the voice of reason and wisdom on all matters in JKB but this is quite wide of the mark (as are later posts).

Alcoholism is an illness and it takes an enormous amount of courage and emotional strength to overcome it. Many have been able to do so; I'm lucky that a couple of very good friends are in that position. When I'm with those friends I'm very cautious about what I drink or whether my conversation may in any way celebrate being out on the lash.

Gascoigne doesn't appear to have been surrounded by people who have encouraged his excessive drinking (FiveBellies; Danny Baker; Chris Evans all very publicly - no doubt many more hangers on who'll use his fame, fortune and weak will to have themselves a real good time. Having moved away from the celebrity circles, he now seems to be surrounded by bunches of blokes who appear happy to be in the shadow of a former football great and (I'm guessing here) see no harm in "just the one pint" when "just the one pint" is, to someone with his illness, poison.

As mentioned elsewhere on the thread, he's had mental illness/problems since childhood. I've heard stories that the hospital he attended destroyed his files when he became famous for fear that the tabloids would bribe someone to release the full details. Events have since suggested that this was a very real risk at the time.

When he became successful at football, he wasn't in an environment that is going to be supportive of anyone with any form of weakness, let alone one where you'd want to shun having a few bevvies with the team.

What he's doing (and being doing all his adult life) can appear to be very selfish and one would have hoped that having family around would be a strong encouragement to focus on recovery. But it's not as simple as you or I deciding to skip a night out with the boys to stay in and watch telly with a cup of cocoa. He needs to be taken right out of the life that he's in; away from anyone who might recognise him as "Gazza the football lad".

It won't happen. He's on a horrible downward spiral, in the glare of a press which, quite frankly, sells more papers if he's like this than if he's recovering. I really won't be surprised if we have a "Gascoigne RIP" thread in the next year but that shouldn't be an opportunity to say 'good riddance'; it is, and will be, a tragic outcome to a desperate story.

Apparently the press have been sitting on this for weeks despite knowing he was well adrift again. Out of a sense of decency or just waiting until he eventually got into proper bother I couldn't say though.

chester copperpot

Apparently the press have been sitting on this for weeks despite knowing he was well adrift again. Out of a sense of decency or just waiting until he eventually got into proper bother I couldn't say though.

I will genuinely feel gutted when he passes away. Yes, he's a wife beater, yes he's messed up every chance he's got, but I genuinely believe he was a guy who was great until the demon drink got involved. He just has an addiction that seemingly cant be beaten.

Shame, but that's life I suppose!

Man was an absolute hero. A travesty that he's turned out the way he has.

Just goes to show that no matter how entertaining a person can be that they are a complete mess on the inside.

It's a shame that he's not stuck to the help that he's been getting over the years.

His interview with Piers Morgan was excellent.

Being an alcoholic isn't selfish. It's not a choice, it's an illness.

Incredibly sad.

Very sad.

He was already on the way down but what a player for Rangers. They gave us a few hidings, but that team with Gazza and Laudrup was great to watch. And he was central to the Football Italia on British telly.

Dunno what's more shocking to me, the nick of gazza or Bob's posts!

Gazza has for pretty much his entire adult life battled depression and anxiety and like many others (Robin Williams anyone?) he has time and time again turned to alcohol. It's a desperate shame especially for a man whose friends have been in the majority wasters and hangers on that were only there to bleed him dry.

Ron Burgundy

Having looked at the picture of him in The Sun I'd be shocked if he lasts til Christmas. Remember George Best getting a liver transplant paid for by the NHS and then being seen out boozing a couple of months later. Some folk just seem determined to throw away every chance they're given. Gazza looks like being the same.

Excelent Bob

To answer your questions, I did stop smoking, I was definitely addicted, had a medical, strange heart beat, went for second medical read a brochure, saw that if I stopped smoking immediately my chances of survival were increased as the time went on getting better. The withdrawl of smoking up to forty cigarettes a day was hell. What kept me going, and relapses occurred was the desire to live a long life, and also to be around for my then young family. Not easy, many sacrifices, when everyone at the pub was smoking and offering cigarettes, but was succesful, and am proud of myself, and healthier.

With regard to your comment about the depression thread I have commented in it, my sympathies and encouragement have gone out to those on it

I can relate to the alcohol/ depression situation. Worked here in Canada with a policeman. He was ex British military, and British police we had a common bond and related really well. He would go on a binge and get into fights, not really fights he would just get mad and punch somebody. He was in a number of off duty and on duty drink related situations. As a friend and workmate I helped him get out of a few scrapes, actually jeopardising my own position.

I was promoted into the officer ranks, and as such actually defended him in a disciplinary hearing, got him off with a reprimand, I was such a good friend helping him out of these problems. I eventually was promoted to officer in charge, I had a meeting with all my sworn officers, told them where I was going and what I needed from them, my buddy was also interviewed, his included advice that I could not offer him any assistance if he got into trouble, he had to smarten up, for himself and his family. As expected I attended work one morning to be advised he had not retired from his night shift and he and his patrol car was missing. He was discovered on a pleasure craft moored at a dock, drunk in uniform and obviously on duty. I immediately ordered him suspended pending disciplinary action. Because it was alcohol related he was immediately entered in a compulsory Employee Assistance program. As a result of tests and a medical he was diagnosed with severe depression. It was when having a depressive bout he would go on a binge to feel better, but it actually just emphasised his problem. He was given an early retirement on a disability pension.

He phoned me some time later, and actually thanked me for taking strict action, when he got into his program he got medication for his depression, he had to work hard at it,because he would still have enjoyed a drink and the company it brought, but strong will and help from his family overcame that. He also felt he owed it to his family to overcome his problem because of the support he received from them in the past. We talked about my part in his problems and agreed that I done what friends particularly army and police mates would do, cover up and save your mate. The truth is he didn't he admits want to alleviate the problems, was in denial, and I and others were actually complicit in his plight.

I don't know Paul Gascoine, I don't know if he is sick, is depressive, I do suspect he is leading a life that if continued can only have tragic results, and although he needs outside help,his apparent failure to accept he has problems,or how serious they are, and I will make some concession in saying, he has to work harder than he apprently has, if he hopes to survive. With regard to alcoholics I have met many over the years, with regard to another thread on the Terrace I personally take no joy in stating a harsh opinion on someone in this condition, I do however through personal and life experience have some fairly strong and unpopular views on the subject..

Sadly it looks very unlikely that Gazza is ever going to beat his demons. I hope he does but I think this is only going to end in one thing.

I've never had an addiction so I'm certainly not going to criticise him as I wouldn't have a clue what I was talking about.

It's easy to say "he's a **** " because of how treated his family but who knows what place he was in when it all happened. I'm not condoning it of course.

Finished with this wreck of a human. The last 10-15 incidents I've been slightly sympathetic, but no longer.

Archived