Sandy Jardine Memorial Race

Ulysses

We've been asked to let members know about the Sandy Jardine Memorial Race which is being run later this week.

Many of you will be aware of the professional running circuit in Scotland and may recall famous Scottish sprinters such as George McNeill. The circuit is still strong with events taking place throughout the summer months. One such event is taking place on Friday evening at Meggetland commencing at 6:15pm.

This will include a one off race in honour of Sandy Jardine who as you all will know was a fantastic footballer but he also enjoyed competing in the pro running circuit as a sprinter. With the support of Sandy's wife a 300m dash will take place in honour of Sandy and the race will contain one player running from Hearts, Hibs & Rangers, Newtongrange Star and some top rugby clubs in their respective colours.

It would be great for anyone keen to come along and support the player that is chosen to represent Hearts and to witness a pretty intriguing race between two different sports. For those not aware of the pro running, it's like a night at the greyhounds but just with humans!!

For more information, here are a couple of links to the event

http://www.cerf.org....-memorial-race/

http://www.cerf.org.uk

So if you're interested, this event takes place this coming Friday evening at 6:15.

Thanks again. Should be an interesting race, still no idea who we are sending to run.

"Kommen sie bitte und listen to Kraftwerk!"

Alistair Roy is the name of the young lad competing for Hearts, be nice to have some support for the club in unusual circumstances.

Footballfirst

Alistair Roy is the name of the young lad competing for Hearts, be nice to have some support for the club in unusual circumstances.

No pressure on the boy then, having just signed for us. I think he is still only 16.

Its a pity we don't still have Rob Ogleby at the club. He won the English Schools 200m title at U17.

The Gasman

No pressure on the boy then, having just signed for us. I think he is still only 16.

Its a pity we don't still have Rob Ogleby at the club. He won the English Schools 200m title at U17.

I'm sure Craig Levein himself won several professional sprint events in his younger days as a player.

ginger jambo98

I'm sure Craig Levein himself won several professional sprint events in his younger days as a player.

ginger jambo98

He won the Pro Footballers race on the day of the new year sprint back in the 80's. He represented us, Gordon Rae for the sh1te, Scott Fraser (of mcewan Fraser) ran for the Gers and Owen Archdeacon for the Tic. Craig won at a canter earning me 40 odd quid with a well placed bet. Think the race was on the 2nd and we'd beaten Hubz on the 1st.

Kyle McAusland running for the Huns.

Never knew Levein ran, more players should be doing this. The only one I know of is Steve McLean from St Johnstone who competes every week in the pro circuit. He's a good lad as well with a great attitude.

"That was classic intercourse!"

Tommy Brown

Didn't know about professional racing. But remember a race set up for Premier League players and expecting Levein to win.

He was 2nd to a Rangers player (Scott Fraser I think).

ginger jambo98

Didn't know about professional racing. But remember a race set up for Premier League players and expecting Levein to win.

He was 2nd to a Rangers player (Scott Fraser I think).

Levein won by about 8 yards !

Just back from the sprint. Oor boy demolished the field, he was rapid.

Just back from the sprint. Oor boy demolished the field, he was rapid.

Oor boy? :unsure:

Thought the young Hearts lad won?

:whistling:

NafSfcz.jpg

Malcolm Tucker

NafSfcz.jpg

Scenes.

Regardless. Thanks again to those who came along to support an excellent cause.

Race was impressive and Sandy's wife was touched by the sentiment.

Good night overall.

Footballfirst

btw ff, who is taking the under 20s at the moment while everyone is down South? Has Jack Ross started yet?

I assume that Jack Ross will have started, otherwise it will be down to U17 coach Andy Brown or for John Cockerell to keep them ticking over.

I was surprised that they sent a squad of 24 down south and only left 5 up here. (Buchanan, Scott, Flanagan, McKirdy & Roy). It terms of keeping the squad as one, I think that it would have been worth the cost of an extra three rooms.

I don't know what U20 friendlies are planned either, but while we play 23 players in a senior friendly, we don't have enough players.

Footballfirst

From the official site

http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/articles/20140705/roy-of-the-races_2241384_3963047

Roy of the races

Hearts starlet Alistair Roy put his best foot forward last night as he celebrated winning the Sandy Jardine Memorial Race against rivals from Hibs and Rangers.

17-year old Alistair, a summer acquisition from Stirling Albion, took part in the Meggetland race - part of the City of Edinburgh Running Festival.

The 300m dash was held in honour of Hearts and Rangers legend Sandy, who sadly passed away earlier this year.

Running in club colours, Alistair blew away the competition, landing himself the Sandy Jardine Memorial Trophy and a prize of ?250.

Speaking to Hearts News, assistant Football Academy director John Cockerell said: "Alistair did great. He was a bag of nerves beforehand and was up against nine other competitors, including players from Hibs, Rangers, Spartans and some Rugby lads.

"He'd never run 300 metres before, but by the final bend he was a good 35 yards ahead of everyone else.

"He turned to look over his shoulder at the home straight - he was that far ahead - and almost fell! But he regained his composure and finished streets ahead of the rest.

"It was frightening how quick he was. He was absolutely brilliant and there was a big crowd there to cheer them all on.

"It was great to see everyone turn out from their respective clubs and it was a fitting tribute to Sandy Jardine."

fabienleclerq

NafSfcz.jpg

:rofl:

Worst undercover effort ever!

Archived