**The OFFICIAL Rugby World Cup Thread**

Ray Winstone

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ref, and Piri Weepu both having a mare.

NZ as usual getting away with murder at the breakdown. Weepu's kicking is the only reason France are in this game. He's missed 3, and kicked the ball straight into the French stand off's hands when he should have gone down on the ball which eventually led to the try.

I'm amazed that the NZ number 8 Reid hasn't got more praise during the tournament. He's been superb.

Don't think he played in all of the group games, he was out injured.

He's been immense since he's got back to full fitness. He doesn't look the biggest but he's an amazing ball carrier. Jerome Kaino at 6 is immense as well.

Has this referee got Kiwi ties? I'm actually finding myself starting to want France to bloody win!

NZ have certainly had the benefit of sympathetic - and on occasion one-sided - refereeing. This is a magnificent performance from the French pack in particular. I hope they win.

that was one of the worst penalties attempts I think I've seen at this tourney. Fair enough, it was a long way out but still.

I'll be interested to see when exactly these southern hemisphere teams are going to start playing this expansive running rugby that the northern hemisphere team aren't able to play?

All the chat beforehand was about how New Zealand and Australia were going to cut teams open with their expansive running rugby but so far in the tournament I've not really witnessed it.

kingantti1874

I'll be interested to see when exactly these southern hemisphere teams are going to start playing this expansive running rugby that the northern hemisphere team aren't able to play?

All the chat beforehand was about how New Zealand and Australia were going to cut teams open with their expansive running rugby but so far in the tournament I've not really witnessed it.

Oh come on, they weren't bad in the pools where they hammered the French ... Too much pressure in a final I think...

Pleased for NZ

I dunno. Over the course of the tournament, New Zealand were the best team in it; and whereas they were unbeaten, France, like Wales, lost a full three times. Plus NZ have been bloody unlucky at times over the last 24 years.

But... but... the better side today lost, and the ref had more than a bit to do with it. So I'm gutted for France. Three World Cup Finals; three defeats. :( Least satisfying outcome since 1995, I'd say.

I dunno. Over the course of the tournament, New Zealand were the best team in it; and whereas they were unbeaten, France, like Wales, lost a full three times. Plus NZ have been bloody unlucky at times over the last 24 years.

But... but... the better side today lost, and the ref had more than a bit to do with it. So I'm gutted for France. Three World Cup Finals; three defeats. :( Least satisfying outcome since 1995, I'd say.

Changed your tune haven't you :verysmug: You were slating them the other day for being a bunch of pretenders.

Well done to NZ though, over the tournament they have deserved it.

Changed your tune haven't you :verysmug: You were slating them the other day for being a bunch of pretenders.

Well done to NZ though, over the tournament they have deserved it.

They were a bunch of pretenders - but certainly not today. No-one will ever understand the French rugby team, least of all themselves*: I just hope they finally win this thing one day.

*in 2011 alone, they've lost to Italy and Tonga - yet were inches from winning the World Cup! It's mad!

The Old Tolbooth

A lot has been made of the tournament not being one of the best, but in my book it's been the best one yet simply because the rest of the Worlds teams are now starting to compete on a more level playing field with the Southern hemisphere sides. The match ups were a lot more interesting for me and the Welsh, Irish, Argentinians and even the smaller nations like USA, Canada, and Georgia were all involved in really good games.

The next World Cup in England promises to be a cracker, but there's no doubting that New Zealand are the deserving victors this time around.

The Old Tolbooth

Ifs-and-ands and all that, but I wonder if Wales would have beat them?

I'm not sure Wales would have been able to up their game as much as the French did to be honest, it would have been great to find out if they could though.

Ifs-and-ands and all that, but I wonder if Wales would have beat them?

With Priestland, Warburton and Jones? Maybe. Without just one of those three? No. Wales don't know how to win the big games - and as a smaller country, can't afford injuries or suspensions either.

They were a bunch of pretenders - but certainly not today. No-one will ever understand the French rugby team, least of all themselves: I just hope they finally win this thing one day.

Aye whatever. Its all about grinding out matches when it counts and the french did that on the way to this final. They were the better team against England and got the job done against the Welsh. Played well today but the luck (read ref decisions) deserted them.

Now they have lost it you are all over this with your faux sympathy (we got the same patter with Wales). :rolleyes:

Aye whatever. Its all about grinding out matches when it counts and the french did that on the way to this final. They were the better team against England and got the job done against the Welsh. Played well today but the luck (read ref decisions) deserted them.

Now they have lost it you are all over this with your faux sympathy (we got the same patter with Wales). :rolleyes:

:troll: :troll: :troll:

No faux sympathy here. And there's no way on earth you were sitting there last week thinking: "Yes France - that's the way to do it!" France were lucky last week; unlucky today. C'est le sport.

Oh come on, they weren't bad in the pools where they hammered the French ... Too much pressure in a final I think...

Pleased for NZ

It wasn't a criticism of New Zealand. It was a criticism of those people who said the southern hemisphere was playing on a level far above the northern hemisphere.

Irelend and Wales showed that wasn't true. And France have shown it in the final.

kingantti1874

No faux sympathy here. And there's no way on earth you were sitting there last week thinking: "Yes France - that's the way to do it!" France were lucky last week; unlucky today. C'est le sport.

Correct, NZ got the rub of the green but they are at home in WC final... What do people expect? There were also 3 or 4 very dodgy decisions against NZ especially from the touch judges which have conveniently been forgotten...

But they have been the best team in this tournament by a long way - not today but pressure is a funny thing... In fact the have been far an away the most enjoyable side to watch for 20 years... No one remember how badly robbed they have been on several occasions... 1995 anyone?

Anyway.. Good stuff - correct outcome in the end

kingantti1874

It wasn't a criticism of New Zealand. It was a criticism of those people who said the southern hemisphere was playing on a level far above the northern hemisphere.

Irelend and Wales showed that wasn't true. And France have shown it in the final.

Agree with you mate but the depth isn't here in the north, Wales have it in the first 15 but lose 2 or 3 and they are mediocre, France clearly do have it sporadically , England dont, we certainly don't.. I think there is just much more depth especially in NZ... What were they on they're 4th or 5th choice no 10 by the end of the match...

Trolling because I know hypocrisy when I see it? I don't think so.

Some of us knew France were a decent team capable of playing like that. Others who take all their opinions from wikipedia/the guardian/bbc blogs have been more than happy to lay into them. :verysmug:

Anyway, Im off to the game so will have to leave this chat here. See you there Shaun? :verysmug:

Correct, NZ got the rub of the green but they are at home in WC final... What do people expect? There were also 3 or 4 very dodgy decisions against NZ especially from the touch judges which have conveniently been forgotten...

But they have been the best team in this tournament by a long way - not today but pressure is a funny thing... In fact the have been far an away the most enjoyable side to watch for 20 years... No one remember how badly robbed they have been on several occasions... 1995 anyone?

Anyway.. Good stuff - correct outcome in the end

Agree with this. 1995 was the worst injustice in the history of this tournament: South Africa shouldn't even have won the semi, never mind the final against the (deliberately?) poisoned All Blacks.

One of the curiosities of World Cups is that countries can point to ill fortune long ago when finally enjoying some good luck. That'll be the case with France eventually too - because they have to win this thing someday. New Zealand deserve it for all they've given to the sport over the past couple of decades; and the French will be back.

Trolling because I know hypocrisy when I see it? I don't think so.

Some of us knew France were a decent team capable of playing like that. Others who take all their opinions from wikipedia/the guardian/bbc blogs have been more than happy to lay into them. :verysmug:

Anyway, Im off to the game so will have to leave this chat here. See you there Shaun? :verysmug:

Picard - bless him - will never change. If trolling was banned (it already is? What do you mean?), there'd be nothing he could write on here any more. :o

A quick glance at page 1 reveals I got all the semi-finalists right; and I had New Zealand beating France in the final. Just as I had England winning the Six Nations - but losing the Grand Slam in Dublin.

On more than one count:

:pleasingao:

Agree with you mate but the depth isn't here in the north, Wales have it in the first 15 but lose 2 or 3 and they are mediocre, France clearly do have it sporadically , England dont, we certainly don't.. I think there is just much more depth especially in NZ... What were they on they're 4th or 5th choice no 10 by the end of the match...

Yeah you're right, and it needs a grass roots approach to change that. I teach PE in a school and the battle I have getting kids out of class to take part in sports fixtures is ridiculous. But ask for a child to get out of class for a music lesson, to watch a play at the theatre as part of drama, or to go on a trip to visit a place of worship with RE and it's no problem. It sends completely the wrong message to kids. New Zealand are giving schoolchildren a holiday tomorrow, if Scotland go to the world cup final do you think we would do the same? I don't think so, but maybe this is an argument for another thread.

New Zealand won, and over the course of the tournament deserved to. France stuttered their way unconvincingly to the final but always have a big game in them: they played it today and maybe should have won.

On another note, Shaun Fitzpatrick tells everyone to just listen to the woman singing what was clearly a very poignant and emotional song at the end with a lot of people probably thinking of those who lost their lives in Christchurch. Steve Ryder lasted about 10 seconds before he felt the need for people to hear his voice was greater. :vrface: What an absolute walloper.

Picard - bless him - will never change. If trolling was banned (it already is? What do you mean?), there'd be nothing he could write on here any more. :o

A quick glance at page 1 reveals I got all the semi-finalists right; and I had New Zealand beating France in the final. Just as I had England winning the Six Nations - but losing the Grand Slam in Dublin.

On more than one count:

:pleasingao:

I've not read the first page, but going by your tennis predictions I assume you tipped approximately 13 teams to make the semis? ::troll:::'>

This won't affect my day at all and I never watched it, but I feel pencil moustaches like the French coach's should be encouraged with silverware. On that note, I'm disappointed.

Debate is not trolling Shaun. I will kindly ask you to stop with the slanderous remarks or I will be forced to report your posts :greggy:

Bets that Lawson had 2 statements prepared in the 'Lawsier' for the result this morning.

One about how unlucky France had been...massive outpouring of sympathy - played well in the final etc etc

One about how unlucky NZ were, pressure of the home crowd, peak in-between cups...massive outpouring of sympathy - well played hard luck etc etc.

Amirite Shaun?

:smuggy:

Bets that Lawson had 2 statements prepared in the 'Lawsier' for the result this morning.

One about how unlucky France had been...massive outpouring of sympathy - played well in the final etc etc

One about how unlucky NZ were, pressure of the home crowd, peak in-between cups...massive outpouring of sympathy - well played hard luck etc etc.

Amirite Shaun?

:smuggy:

Our survey says... Eh-aw. :no:

What you've both conveniently failed to mention is that, last week, I was almost the only poster on here who didn't have any faux sympathy for Wales. I was the one lambasting them for missing their chances, and getting pelters as a result!

And had they lost, despite being host nation with everything in their favour, it'd have been very tough to feel any real sympathy for NZ. They got the job done - but the raw courage of France's display demands huge credit, which pretty much everyone who watched the match agree on anyway.

You're not alone, we'd get murdered!

On another note, that wasn't the Haka as I remember it, have they changed it a bit or do they have more than one version? (knowing this pc mad planet we live on they were probably forced to change it due to offending someone in Outer Mongolia)

Here's an old version for you. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emJyEa4z2Ec&feature=related

Templeton Peck

Happy that Stephen Donald was the unlikely hero of the final. Spent my holiday this year in the town where he is from. He owns the local pub and delighted for the locals. Free drinks all round from what I hear. :thumbsup:

Carl Spackler

Just takes the biscuit. Scotland hard done by by refereeing, Wales hard done by by refereeing and there was another one before Scotland's that I'm trying to remember. The IRB should be taking a look at things before thinking of levelling ridiculous charges like this.

The Kiwis can have their Haka fair enough, it's a good thing but should other teams just stand and take it? I seem to recall Brian O'Driscoll and Ireland stood up to it once and look what they did to him. One thinks they take it just a tiny bit too seriously these days. Just look at that 73 video, that Haka preceded one of the most entertaining games of Rugby ever but the Haka was an absolute joke. Does anyone care?

Archived