Jock Taylor

The White Cockade

The White Cockade

29 years today since Scotland's Jock Taylor was killed in the Finnish Grand Prix

Jock was both world sidecar champion and multiple TT winner

He was from Pencaitland and was a top bloke

Gone but not forgotten

Keep her lit mate

jocktaylor1.jpg

There's a giant portrait of this guy on a huge mirror in my old man's boozer. I was totally fascinated by it in the early 80's when I was a little kid in Haddington. I guess a lot of people in my dad's pub knew him and met him with him being local to the area. If I remember correctly, his sidecar guy was called Benga Johnson or something. Did he die too?

It was Benga Johansson and no he didn't die in the crash.

Jock's widowed wife is best friends with my partner.

ps, small point but 29 years tomorrow. :whistling:

pps. Unless you're in South Africa. :thumbsup:

Edited by graygo

It was Benga Johansson and no he didn't die in the crash.

Jock's widowed wife is best friends with my partner.

ps, small point but 29 years tomorrow. :whistling:

pps. Unless you're in South Africa. :thumbsup:

That sounds more like it. I was only about 6yr old when the mirror was explained to me and 3yr old when the guy died but i'll never forget the name. There was a few other portraits hanging in the pub as well now that I think about it. No idea if they're still there although the mirror definitely is.

The White Cockade

Yes Benga was thrown clear but from what I can remember Jock was trapped in the sidecar outfit and while marshals were

trying to free him another outfit crashed at the same spot and ploughed into the wreckage killing him instantly

Tragic

He was still young enough to have carried on winning TT's and world titles for years after that

Saw him win a couple of TT's at the Isle of Man and he also smashed the lap record

Seem to remember a memorial to him at Beveridge Park in Kirkcaldy where they used to run motorcycle races?

Yes mate today is the 15th - getting on a bit now and getting my days mixed up!

Yes Benga was thrown clear but from what I can remember Jock was trapped in the sidecar outfit and while marshals were

trying to free him another outfit crashed at the same spot and ploughed into the wreckage killing him instantly

Tragic

He was still young enough to have carried on winning TT's and world titles for years after that

Saw him win a couple of TT's at the Isle of Man and he also smashed the lap record

Seem to remember a memorial to him at Beveridge Park in Kirkcaldy where they used to run motorcycle races?

Yes mate today is the 15th - getting on a bit now and getting my days mixed up!

All correct mate, Jock would have been a superstar without a doubt, cruelly cut down in his prime.

blondejamtart

God, I can't believe it's been that long. I was a junior reporter on one of the local papers at the time and remember it well. There was a massive turnout for his funeral.

• 2 years later...

RIP Jock, 32 years now.

Spent last weekend up in the highlands in Jock's widow's company, never a day passes when she doesn't think of him.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

At the risk of appearing a walloper, do they still do the Jock Taylor memorial at Knockhill?