"Disgusting" says Cameron

Debtor

"Disgusting?" This from the man who keeps in with Rupert Murdoch!

This has gone on for many years and everyone knows it. Now the MP's seek to be on the side of 'right' after ignoring this because it may upset the media. Dubious media practice has gone on since papers began, all their ways are known yet the press it too powerful tot tackle.

The hypocrisy of politicians never ends.

This has gone on for many years and everyone knows it. Now the MP's seek to be on the side of 'right' after ignoring this because it may upset the media. Dubious media practice has gone on since papers began, all their ways are known yet the press it too powerful tot tackle.

In the run-up to the election the Murdoch empire and Cameron were hand in glove buddies and of course DC hires Coulson as an aide. In PMQ today Miliband left it to the last question before mentioning Coulson and that tactic will have Cameron sweating. Things are about to become interesting I think.

I P Knightley

In the run-up to the election the Murdoch empire and Cameron were hand in glove buddies and of course DC hires Coulson as an aide. In PMQ today Miliband left it to the last question before mentioning Coulson and that tactic will have Cameron sweating. Things are about to become interesting I think.

Mr Bean probably left it until the last minute hoping that time would run out and the issue could be dodged for a while. He knows that, like political leaders of all hues, at some point or other he'll have to roll over and let Murdoch tickle his tummy and, I suspect, there are similar skeletons in the Labour closet that could be shaken out over the coming weeks if anyone has the balls to conduct an honest and thorough investigation of the whole set up.

That said, the appointment of Andy Coulson is an error of judgement of pretty epic proportions. Looking from the outside, I would have guessed he was a bad 'un. The heid yins in the Tory party had been dealing with the guy directly (or very closely) for many years - they must have known and, if so, then there must have been some fishy business leading to his appointment.

Did Dave not also buddy up with Rebecca Brooks around election time?

PM may have to watch his back

The Gasman

Yes he did, and "call me Dave" must be bricking himself right now. :pleasing:

They've been friendly enought to have dinner together - fact.

The paps were desperate for a picture of them together but the opportunity never arose.

Difficult times for Dave and it's going to get even more diifcult now that Coulson has been alleged to have paid police for tip offs (presumably NOTW hackers couldn't or wouldn't hack the Mets phones).

I P Knightley

They've been friendly enought to have dinner together - fact.

The paps were desperate for a picture of them together but the opportunity never arose.

Difficult times for Dave and it's going to get even more diifcult now that Coulson has been alleged to have paid police for tip offs (presumably NOTW hackers couldn't or wouldn't hack the Mets phones).

They went horse riding together. The paps might have been able to get photos of that but they made no secret of the fact that they did so, so I guess that there's no really story for the paps to bother about.

I really suspect that the rags have had a two-pronged approach to the Met. One being to grease a few palms here and there; the other to do to a number of high-ranking officials what they've done to these slebs and parents of victims of crime!

An interesting snippet from the BBC news website :

It said former director of public prosecutions Lord Macdonald QC had been appointed by News Corp's board to advise NI on the "extensive cooperation" with the Met over police payments at the NoW.

To advise them how much sheet they're really in and who is likely to be going to jail.

Lovely to see some of the big corporations have suspended their ads with NOTW. It must be costing old Rupe millions - and it's only just started.

ToadKiller Dog

Dave Cameron and Wife ,plus Ed Milibrand, Balls and many other politicians were at the News Corps summer do at Murdoch's swanky roof top address just a couple of weeks ago hosted by Brookes herself . The Guest drunk expensive champange and ate the best oysters . Nick Clegg was washing the dishes . We should just take the Politicians anger as the nonsense it is .

We will/are seeing some pretend anger an investigation will be had promises made ,a few minor changes in laws ,a few scapgoats and things will move on .

The Real Maroonblood

DC is a slithering snake.

All politicians have to mix with the powerful whether they like it or not, however sometimes people have too much influence, and Murdoch has far too much influence everywhere.

Cameron and the Rebecca woman are close friends, so she will not be jailed, unless somebody stands up and is counted! It does look like Coulson may be the fall guy.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Meanwhile, it's now coming out that Osborne could have been hacked! :laugh:

Carl Spackler

Politics and spin is one thing but the stuff coming out just now is on another level. It should really be the end of the line for the NOTW but it probably won't be.Gutter journalism is now taking the spanking the MPs took with the expenses.What is quite alarming is the timing of this though. It's really serious stuff and yet it conveniently hits just as News International goes to buy out Sky.Who's pulling the strings? If they knew this stuff should they have pulled them earlier? Or is this really just cooincidence?

Mac_fae_Gillie

I really hope this is the end of the murdock sky takeover.

going to be weeks of new stories/revelations about NOTW tactics and its already had advertisers pull out and I assume no one will buy it except the lowest of the low.

AS for Cameron now talking,suppose all politicians got to know when to keep quiet and when to speak out,most previous stories were about MPs been taped and some celebs.

The classis love from the NoTW is the fact it was proven guilty Monday so Tuesday it gave evidence of reciepts to Police Officers for information was wondering if it had been holding these over a few officers as pressure?? as there release seemed odd timing or was it a divert trick.either way it shows they are underhand and following illegal acts to get scoops.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Golden opportunity to kill off the tabloid industry in the UK. Won't happen though. :(

The previous three elections he backed Labour. This was when most of the hacking and alleged hacking took place.

Being reported that army widows phones been hacked too.

What were they hoping for?

Widows having affairs, kids not fathered by the soldiers?

The previous three elections he backed Labour. This was when most of the hacking and alleged hacking took place.

An irrelevance who he backed at the time, Murdoch only ever backs himself. The politicians appear desperate to get his papers support but I am not convinced that actually works.

Carl Spackler

An irrelevance who he backed at the time, Murdoch only ever backs himself. The politicians appear desperate to get his papers support but I am not convinced that actually works.

The NOTW / Sun only go where the biggest sales are.

I think in the past their backing, for want of a better word, meant a great deal more than it does now. The biggest single influence these days is the BBC but the internet has changed everything.

I P Knightley

The NOTW / Sun only go where the biggest sales are.

I think in the past their backing, for want of a better word, meant a great deal more than it does now. The biggest single influence these days is the BBC but the internet has changed everything.

The BBC certainly can influence things greatly but it doesn't go supporting the election of one party over an other in the way that the tabloids do. The tabloids appeal to the hard of thinking and, in the hysterical tones they'll understand, will loudly and proudly urge them to vote in the direction of the party which has committed to support them best in power. And while there's still 8, 9 or 10 million knuckleheads for whom the Sun, Mirror, Mail & Express is their only source of thought, the tabloids will still swing elections.

I know it's old but they still believe that:

The-Suns-1993-Its-the-Sun-001.jpg

Carl Spackler

The BBC certainly can influence things greatly but it doesn't go supporting the election of one party over an other in the way that the tabloids do. The tabloids appeal to the hard of thinking and, in the hysterical tones they'll understand, will loudly and proudly urge them to vote in the direction of the party which has committed to support them best in power. And while there's still 8, 9 or 10 million knuckleheads for whom the Sun, Mirror, Mail & Express is their only source of thought, the tabloids will still swing elections.

I know it's old but they still believe that:

The-Suns-1993-Its-the-Sun-001.jpg

The thing is the voter turnout at the last election was 65%. Do you think Sun readers are more likely to be in the 65% or the 35% bracket?

I agree about the BBC by the way. I wasn't saying they are biased, merely that they probably have more influence than most. I think there are many in the BBC that subtlety push lefty agendas whether they mean it or not. Then there are others who less subtley "campaign" for the right! (Clarkson). I always stick up for the BBC in general though, wasn't having a pop.

Golden opportunity to kill off the tabloid industry in the UK. Won't happen though. :(

My thoughts exactly.

That is probably accurate. I do feel most folk are concentrating on Call Me Dave because he is the current PM but Phoney Blair and God Damn Brown are equally bad. All political leaders have probably burried their heads in the sand, including Thick Clegg.

That is probably accurate. I do feel most folk are concentrating on Call Me Dave because he is the current PM but Phoney Blair and God Damn Brown are equally bad. All political leaders have probably burried their heads in the sand, including Thick Clegg.

Indeed they have.

There is a report that Murdoch is closing the NOW in an effort to avoid punishment!

Cameron, Blair, Major, Thatcher...excepting Brown, are all recent PMs backed to the hilt and close to the Murdoch press. Even at the Scottish level there's been a lot of go between, Salmond has his head offices next door to the News International HQ in Scotland, he also has good links with the top brass. They're all at it. It's actually refreshing to see the opposition leader in Miliband and Nick Clegg call for a full independent inquiry with legal powers to force witnesses and evidence. A break from the News International bunch is what I hope will come of this! And the stopping of the BSKYB takeover.

Nick Robinson - 'DC was there when the music happened to stop'.

There was a time when you could have reasonably observed that Alastair Campbell, TB and the man who saved the world might be neatly nestled in Murdoch's rear end.

Might also be something to do with his friendship with Rebecca (sp) and the appointment of Coulson. If he knew about this one must level serious accusations in his direction; if he didn't, his judgment renders him unfit to run a bath let alone a country.

The thing is the voter turnout at the last election was 65%. Do you think Sun readers are more likely to be in the 65% or the 35% bracket?

As has been seen in all elections in recent times, the winning margin is a matter of a few percent. By harnessing the votes of the knee-jerk Sun readers a creep like Rupert can swing the election one way or the other.

This is why you see the right of politics pandering to neo-nazis, Christian fundamentalists etc. They are only small groups, but their 1% of the vote makes all the difference when the two main contenders in the election present exactly the same agenda and offer zero in the way of meaningful policy.

Rupert knows he can buy himself all sorts of privileges from Govt by threatening to swing 3% of the vote this way or that. It's the single biggest reason that the guy should be given no more media licenses in Britain (or any other country) at all.

Cameron hasn't had his head "buried in the sand" as someone put it. He has had his tongue buried in Rupert's ring.

Geoff Kilpatrick

The Digger is gradually losing his power in any case as more and more people turn away from the print media.

As for BSkyB, that's a different matter. The key thing that should not be allowed to happen there is Sky News becoming Faux News UK, unless Murdoch wants to open a new comedy channel. Fox News is on Foxtel (Sky) over here and for comedy value it's superb! For news?

I P Knightley

Might also be something to do with his friendship with Rebecca (sp) and the appointment of Coulson. If he knew about this one must level serious accusations in his direction; if he didn't, his judgment renders him unfit to run a bath let alone a country.

I think the fact that he is a career politician puts him in that position :)

A "friendship" with Rebekah Wade could be viewed as an unpleasant necessity in order to get business done.

Appointing the snake-oil salesman Coulson is a major failure of judgement.

They've all crept in with Murdoch since 1969 - Labour,Conservitive, Lib Dems, and yes fat Eck and the SNP as well. What's disgusting is the fact that this man has been allowed to almost put a stranglehold onto politicians over that time. Just points to the fact that British society generally these days is the very pits. All our institutions are coated with sleeze and corruption - the Legal Profession, the Police, the Press and Politicians.

I think the fact that he is a career politician puts him in that position :)

A "friendship" with Rebekah Wade could be viewed as an unpleasant necessity in order to get business done.

Appointing the snake-oil salesman Coulson is a major failure of judgement.

He's only been in a year and he hasn't managed to get much business done because of u turns, so Rebekah hasn't been much help there.

I think there's more than Coulson who fits your snake-oil description.

Archived