'Hearts FC'

Creepy Lurker

Creepy Lurker

This club's been in the media quite a lot recently. Anyone able to give me the lowdown?

Seriously, we've been in existence for 137 years now. You'd think that people'd be able to get our name right. :down:

Buffalo Bill

The biggest culprits are the club.

In fact, in season 98/99, our registered name with the new SPL was 'Hearts FC'.

We are Heart of Midlothian FC, and should always use our proper name, especially as it's the greatest club name in football.

I actually fecking hate being called Hearts FC.

Heart of Midlothian FC or just Hearts.

Hearts FC - :vrface:

Vlad-Stupid

:spoton:

really not that angry at the usage of hearts fc.

when johnny foreigner starts calling us 'midlothian' though... i'm superfly TNT... i'm the ******* guns of the navarone.

:seething:

vintage1874

Hearts is fine but do like heart of midlothian and not hearts of midlothian. HMFC is good but the period of "homfc", (think it was on the white socks of the 2006 hummel strip) was terrible, I think someone who knew little of hearts must have been behind that one.

rossthejambo

A lot of rage starts bubbling whenever I hear or read that *******isation of our great name :angry:

Hearts is fine but do like heart of midlothian and not hearts of midlothian. HMFC is good but the period of "homfc", (think it was on the white socks of the 2006 hummel strip) was terrible, I think someone who knew little of hearts must have been behind that one.

Are the club email addresses not @homfc?

heartsfc_fan

This

Fort Vallance

It might be trivial to some people but it does annoy me.

What annoys me just as much is reading "Hearts is" because its a brand. It should be "Hearts are" I don't care if it's correct or not !

We are Heart of Midlothian FC, and should always use our proper name, especially as it's the greatest club name in football.

And at the same time changed what in in my opinion is the best badge we've ever had into the one we have now.:down:

vintage1874

What annoys me just as much is reading "Hearts is" because its a brand. It should be "Hearts are" I don't care if it's correct or not !

I remember a thread on this a while ago like you its "are" for me

And at the same time changed what in in my opinion is the best badge we've ever had into the one we have now.:down:

its taken a while but I'm warming to it , in 10 years time it'll be up there :thumbsup:

Yup, been moaning about this for a couple of years now. Dunno whose idea it was but the change from 'are' to 'is' was quite noticeable. Someone at the club obviously decided one day that it was the way to go and that was that. Shouldn't annoy me half as much as it does but I find it seriously irritating. It just makes me feel like someone who doesn't really know the club at all is being given free rein to write stuff on the official website, it's weird.

angry.gif

And it's Heart of Midlothian Football Club, thanks. If you have the most lovely name in world football, you use it.

If it must be abbreviated then a simple Hearts will do.

As was said, we have Chris Robinson, our beloved purveyor of pastries, to "thank" for this.

He changed the name of the ground from Tynecastle Park, to Tynecastle Stadium.

He changed the badge claiming, falsely, that Hearts had no rights to the then current design, and that it "looked like something from a tea shop in the Cotswalds". Following complaints, and evidence that the previous design was protected by Copyright, he promised (!) the new design would never appear on the strips!

He removed Willie Bauld's name from the ground, famously justifying it by pointing out that The King no longer played for us!

He changed the name of the Club from Heart of Midlothian FC, to Hearts FC, which he, bizarrely, claimed would be easier to market! We were then registered as Hearts FC with the SFA, SFL, SPL, and UEFA. The members of the media were not infrequently contacted by "Hearts FC", if they had inadvertently referred to us as anything else!

A lot of the web site and email addressees are a legacy from these dark days.

FYI changing the name back to Heart of Midlothian FC was one of the very first things Romanov did when he took over.

It goes by me most of the time but when the results are coming in and the dick on the TV reads out Inverness Caledonian Thistle (always abreviated on screen but never read out as just Inverness or Inverness CT), Hibernian and Hamilton Academical I wonder why we are reduced to being Hearts. We are Heart of Midlothian!

Creepy Lurker

I don't mind Hearts as such, it just annoys me when I see 'Hearts FC' specifically. I hate the word 'Jambo' too. It just sounds a bit too...y'know...cuddly for my liking.

Correct grammar should be 'is' when referring to the club and 'are' when referring to the team.

It doesn't sound right though!

Correct grammar should be 'is' when referring to the club and 'are' when referring to the team.

I know but correct grammar just sounds so wrong for some reason.

Hearts are a collective comprising lots of things (and people), not just this standalone single entity.

I don't like the 'is' thing, it's just not right.

Last night on the news the lassie said "Hearts is not making any further comment on the matter".

Grammatically correct maybe, but it sounds shite. And if it IS the right way tO address us, then why don't you ever hear things like "Celtic is preparing an appeal' or 'Rangers is satisfied with the referees performance'?

I'm confused!

vintage1874

still looks crap.

I know, hmfc or plain old hearts whould have been fine for the email

I don't mind Hearts as such, it just annoys me when I see 'Hearts FC' specifically. I hate the word 'Jambo' too. It just sounds a bit too...y'know...cuddly for my liking.

Jambos is not a term I use often. I always thought it should refer more to us fans and not the team I'm sure one of the bbc guys perhaps liam mcleod calls us jambos a lot.

Buffalo Bill

Yeah, I don't like the word 'Jambo' too. It's just so 'Sky opening credits' for me, with giant foam hands and massive replica sports jackets.

...but I do prefer the current badge to the 'tea at the Cotswolds' font of previous.

No no. Businesses are a single entity: so "City of Edinburgh Council is..." but "The council committees are...". 'Heart of Midlothian is...' but "Hearts's marketing and finance departments are...".

I'm here all week.

See you and your grammar. I know it's technically correct, but in our case it just isn't right.

Hearts are probably supposed to be a single entity, technically they are a business etc. But that isn't really how it works or how it feels. Hearts are a living breathing collection of different things and people all smushed together. And that's the best explanation I can come up with... I'm really not having an articulate day at all :)

Rick Grimes

but "Hearts's marketing and finance departments are...".

surely the second 's' would be dropped though..... "Hearts' marketing & finance".

incidentally - you been listening to old Adam & Joes recently? :)

dobmisterdobster

Why not rebrand as "Hearts FC" instead of "Heart of Midlothian FC"?

Like how "Kentucky Fried Chicken" became known simply as "KFC".

We are blessed with one of the finest and most poetic club names on the planet so why on earth should we or allow others to shorten it. We are Heart of Midlothian Football Club and no amount of snappy marketing techniques or lazy arsed journalist's should be allowed to change that. Hearts is fine for reasons of convenience but never, EVER Hearts FC.

That was Pieman. Apparently because it is shorter and easier to say.....

carlos fanjambo

See you and your grammar. I know it's technically correct, but in our case it just isn't right.

Hearts are probably supposed to be a single entity, technically they are a business etc. But that isn't really how it works or how it feels. Hearts are a living breathing collection of different things and people all smushed together. And that's the best explanation I can come up with... I'm really not having an articulate day at all :)

AS Winston Churchill once said -"This is the type of english up with which i will not put"

The one that really annoys me is when Sky or ESPN are advertising the derby. It's always Hearts v Hibernian, never even Hearts v Hibs as a sort of compromise. I feel it should be either both full names or neither (although I would settle for Heart of Midlothian v Hibs !)

Captain Scarlett

People,mostly the media just shorten club names to suit e.g Mk Dons,Man U etc. The only time you hear "Of Midlothian" or indeed " & Hove Albion" is when the classified results are being read out.As long as we know who we are.

No no. Businesses are a single entity: so "City of Edinburgh Council is..." but "The council committees are...". 'Heart of Midlothian is...' but "Hearts's marketing and finance departments are...".

I'm here all week.

C'mon Borthers, I write for a living too but Heart of Midlothian Football Club should not be bound by grammatical theory. Hearts are beyond that! ;)

Hearts FC. :down: Heart of Midlothian Football Club, HMFC, Hearts, the Hearts etc. :thumbsup:

Feckin' pieman.

AS Winston Churchill once said -"This is the type of english up with which i will not put"

Always thought there was something Yoda-esque about auld Winnie!

...a bit disco

C'mon Borthers, I write for a living too but Heart of Midlothian Football Club should not be bound by grammatical theory. Hearts are beyond that! ;)

Hearts FC. :down: Heart of Midlothian Football Club, HMFC, Hearts, the Hearts etc. :thumbsup:

Feckin' pieman.

Goes back to before Pieman.

I've got an Umbro 'Hearts FC' scarf from about 81-82.

Hearts, Herts or Heart of Midlothian.

Hearts FC doesn`t sound right when some media mup comes out with it.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Yes but you would never hear "Man U FC" or "Spurs FC" or "Dunfy FC" or anything like that!

This has actually been getting on my tits recently too, I was just worried it was too trivial to bring up at the moment!

People,mostly the media just shorten club names to suit e.g Mk Dons,Man U etc. The only time you hear "Of Midlothian" or indeed " & Hove Albion" is when the classified results are being read out.As long as we know who we are.

Goes back to before Pieman.

I've got an Umbro 'Hearts FC' scarf from about 81-82.

Wasn't our 'official' name back then though - see earlier in the thread. The pastry king takes the blame for that.

Buffalo Bill

Why not rebrand as "Hearts FC" instead of "Heart of Midlothian FC"?

Because it's pish, lazy and disrespectful. That's why.

shaun.lawson

Those who can't come to terms with the horrible 'Hearts is' are spot on. Regardless of what the grammar books might say (and I'm an English teacher, for heaven's sake), this isn't the US, and it isn't Australia. Therefore, all sporting teams (including national teams) or clubs are - and over my dead body will anything else apply instead.

Then there's the question of this club's unique, glorious name: the greatest name in world football and, indeed, world sport. That name is Heart of Midlothian. Heart of Midlothian.

And the rule is simple. In cases of newspapers listing the classified football results, or broadcasters reading them out, the full version must be printed or spoken. The legendary James Alexander Gordon of Five Live has it right; the hopeless Tim Gudgen of Final Score has it wrong.

Moreover, in cases of match reports or articles about the club, either printed or online, the first reference to it should be as 'Heart of Midlothian'. It can then be abbreviated to 'Hearts' at every point thereafter. Note: that's Hearts - and never, ever the monstrous carbuncle and gross *******isation of this great club which is 'Hearts FC'. :down:

Archived