'Jailed or fined for singing God Save the Queen,'

Happy Hearts

davemclaren

It seems straight forward enough to me.

If you go to football to cause trouble and act like a dick or a ned, you're probably going to end up being lifted.

If you don't and you just want to cheer on your team and have fun with your mates, you'll be fine. :thumbsup:

They should enact that law. :teehee:

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Happy Hearts

Only in Scotland could something like this need to happen.

Only in Scotland would you get people saying that it's disgrace that we can't show our national flag/ sing our national anthem despit knowing that it is only done to provoke another group of people. The same people who regularly accuse people of not knowing what they are talking about with regards to these politics. Accusing people of being ingnorant to their past, when all they are doing is using it as a cheap gimmick in a shitty game of oneupmanship.

Only in Scotland would someone use the line "is this what my grand parents fought for" when trying to defend attempts at upsetting, angering people and causing trouble and divide - ironically the thing that your grand parents fought against!

Only in Scotland could there be people too ignorant to see that these are the kind of ridiculous measures that have to be taken to stop a minority of hooligans ruining it for the rest of us.

If you wish to continue believing that these things are done as some super act of patriotism then carry on, but don't come on here preaching that it's a disgrace people are trying to stop these things being used to cause trouble rather than solve it.

Worst post I have ever read on kickback. ( but if you are under 12, good effort son and stick in)

Worst post I have ever read on kickback. ( but if you are under 12, good effort son and stick in)

:lol: and :facepalm: in equal measures.

You're some kid. :thumbsup:

The White Cockade

Was singing it on the way into work this morning.

I was right

Get yourself down to the Last Night of the Proms

you'll love it!

Excellent stuff.:thumbsup:

Are you a good singer?

Happy Hearts

I was right

Get yourself down to the Last Night of the Proms

you'll love it!

Thanks for the advice, might just do that. Cheers mate.

You think that's the worst post ever on JKB? Have you read any of HANS tips? :whistling:

Happy Hearts

Excellent stuff.:thumbsup:

Are you a good singer?

Wouldnt say great, but not bad. I am a better whistler.

Vlad-Stupid

I can't see how any of this affects us anyway. I've never heard rule britania or gstq sung at Tynie before (I did hear some young laddies sing a few lines at Aberdeen once which they all drowned out by laughter) nor have I seen anyone violently crossing themselves. Let's leave all that to the west coast 'zoomers' :thumbsup:

Your attempts at condescension towards people who have made decent points (to which you seem unable to respond intelligently) are a total embarrassment.

Only in Scotland would you get people saying that it's disgrace that we can't show our national flag/ sing our national anthem despit knowing that it is only done to provoke another group of people. The same people who regularly accuse people of not knowing what they are talking about with regards to these politics. Accusing people of being ingnorant to their past, when all they are doing is using it as a cheap gimmick in a shitty game of oneupmanship.

Only in Scotland would someone use the line "is this what my grand parents fought for" when trying to defend attempts at upsetting, angering people and causing trouble and divide - ironically the thing that your grand parents fought against!

Only in Scotland could there be people too ignorant to see that these are the kind of ridiculous measures that have to be taken to stop a minority of hooligans ruining it for the rest of us.

If you wish to continue believing that these things are done as some super act of patriotism then carry on, but don't come on here preaching that it's a disgrace people are trying to stop these things being used to cause trouble rather than solve it.

When you see spectators at Wimbledon this week waving saltires, union flags etc do you say to yourself "what the hell has flags got to do with tennis?"

or do you think that these folk are raving nationalists that are waving saltires or unionists waving the union flag ? The people are supporting Murray and are not doing it to wind up Roger federer or whoever. They are adding colour and excitment to the occasion, why can't football fans do the same without people thinking they are trying to wind folk up or make a political point.

The snp are making an arse of themselves, none of this would have came about if neil lennon hadn't acted like an idiot and the catholic church hadn't try to wind everybody up.

portobellojambo1

The Ministers explanation of the new law was simply pathetic.Em,well ,ummm,err.

Let's be brutally honest. It is difficult to explain a dumb law, that has been thrown together in a rush, in anything other than a dumb way. If you put together laws the only place they should stand up to really in depth scrutiny is in a court of law, by a barrister that realy knows his stuff. When people in the street are questioning it before it is even on the statute, and you cannot answer those questions in a well thought out manner what you really need to then do is go back to what you propose and find out (i) if it makes sense and (ii) can it be ripped to shreds in court.

It might help if they also sit down and determine what words such as sectarianism really mean, and what place there is in British society for people who support terrorist groups whose sole design is/was destruction of said society. They appear to be doing the same as clubs are doing, targeting flags and now, for some strange reason, potentially non sectarian songs. I can only repeat what I said on another thread, flags aren't the cause of the problem, one could also say that some songs, with the right words used are totally inoffensive. Maybe if they looked more closely at the things that do divide society, such as segregated schooling, and educate the kids, we might have a starting point for a future where all can live together in relative harmony.

I also agree with a comment made above, how does one actually cross oneself aggressively, and who actually takes offence at people who cross themselves (other than atheists possibly, although I suspect most of them would simply turn the other cheek).

This law has been about as well thought out as Hibs plans to win The Scottish Cup eventually.

I totally read that in a black american accent :lol:

I was trying to be down with the kids. Quite pleased with myself .

Maiden Gorgie

Again. Why? You seem quite prepared to steam into other people but you never say why you disagree.

Just an observation.

Record yourself singing it. Stick it on you tube and post it on here. Job done.

Patrick Bateman

Great post from mahgrassyshoes, which sums up what most reasonably minded people would probably follow. It's strange to see folk so preciously defending their right to abuse people based on their ethnic or religious background. Why not start it in the street and see what happens? Also, for all their clamour for 'Britishness' most English folk I know find their behaviour absolutely backwards and perverse. I find it funny to see the Billy Britains get so upset about this. The sun has set boys, time to take off the sunglasses and move into the 21st century like the rest of Scotland. :thumbsup:

Iv'e been supporting the Famous HMFC since the early 70s in all that time Iv'e never had any occasion at Tynie when i have had the need or inclination to sing God save the Queen, or had the notion to tote the flag of the union, there have been times, i admit, to feeling aggresivly cross at the way my team played at times, but i im usualy over it by monday/ tuesday :unsure: in short what difference does it make?

I agree with every word you say but I have been irritated by sectarian singing and chanting and the fact that sections of our support respond to it on occasion in like manner.

I am going to follow the pasage of this legislation closely. OF spokespeople have already said they support it and I appluad them for that.

The real interest for me will be whether the SPL/SFA sit back and do nothing as usual.

A regime of points deductions and/or disqualification from tournaments would get rid of it completely in one season.

The most telling thing for me is the fact that the assistant chief of Strathclyde police has admitted that police won't be 'wading into a football crowd trying to take out large numbers of fans'. So basically if you want to sing these songs then do so in a big enough group and you're safe....get caught doing it with a couple of your mates and you're in trouble. Nothing changes then.

Another joke from the SNP, but the idiots will continue to lap it up.

Yes, but the SPL/SFA could punish the clubs involved, could they not?

They will either support this legislation or they won't.

Happy Hearts

Your attempts at condescension towards people who have made decent points (to which you seem unable to respond intelligently) are a total embarrassment.

Sorry, I dont know what condescension means?

Maiden Gorgie

CCTV is cheap as chips - charge those caught on camera, police present or not.

Having a blinder the night arent ya? :lol:

Maiden Gorgie

Actually, well done. You have surpassed all expectations.

Patrick Bateman

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

Also; folk dismissing the competency of legislation whilst simultaneously showing their ignorance of Scots legal terminology...

:facepalm:

Was gonna do a gag about it being on windows and tasting good but decided against it. Shame, would've been funny too.

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope

I hope for your sake it wasn't on a bus from Niddrie going to Leith.

MacDonald Jardine

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

Also; folk dismissing the competency of legislation whilst simultaneously showing their ignorance of Scots legal terminology...

:facepalm:

Noone has said the legislation is legally incompetent just nonsensical.

If they were interested in doing so, the SPL/SFA could have punished clubs involved within the existing framework. This new law changes absolutely nothing in that respect.

Same goes for the CCTV comment. Absolutely no need for a new law to tackle this, just more posturing from the monkeys in charge.

portobellojambo1

Let's be brutally honest. It is difficult to explain an ill thought through potential law, that has been thrown together in a rush, in anything other than a dumb way. If you put together laws the only place they should stand up to really in depth scrutiny is in a court of law, by a barrister that realy knows his stuff. When people in the street are questioning it before it is even on the statute, and you cannot answer those questions in a well thought out manner what you really need to then do is go back to what you propose and find out (i) if it makes sense and (ii) can it be ripped to shreds in court.

It might help if they also sit down and determine what words such as sectarianism really mean, and what place there is in British society for people who support terrorist groups whose sole design is/was destruction of said society. They appear to be doing the same as clubs are doing, targeting flags and now, for some strange reason, potentially non sectarian songs. I can only repeat what I said on another thread, flags aren't the cause of the problem, one could also say that some songs, with the right words used are totally inoffensive. Maybe if they looked more closely at the things that do divide society, such as segregated schooling, and educate the kids, we might have a starting point for a future where all can live together in relative harmony.

I also agree with a comment made above, how does one actually cross oneself aggressively, and who actually takes offence at people who cross themselves (other than atheists possibly, although I suspect most of them would simply turn the other cheek).

This law has been about as well thought out as Hibs plans to win The Scottish Cup eventually.

Just changing the wording of the above slightly, because my original post suggested it was a dumb law. I went for a smoke after posting it and missed the edit time. The thinking behind tackling sectarianism, divisions within society isn't dumb, but the legislation has to be correct and be created in a way that it achieves its aims. And they have to look beyond football, they seem to be intent on a law that is targeting football fans only.

Most of those who attend football matches have become subject to division, predominantly religious division, before they ever set foot inside a football ground. To overcome division within football grounds you have to target the root cause. Football isn't the root cause, and if you are going to skirt around the causes you will never solve the problem. Reasons have been given in this thread, for example the comments by Strathclyde Police, why it will be virutally impossible to enforce this law as it is presently laid out.

Any potential legislation has to be thought out over a longer period of time, and cover everything, not just football matches.

Was gonna do a gag about it being on windows and tasting good but decided against it. Shame, would've been funny too.

:lol:

Seymour M Hersh

It's better than your absolute train wreck of a thread.

The guy said you wouldn't be arrested for singing the national anthem.

What part of that is it that you don't understand?

Having watched the snp burd try to answer that question on the news I'd say the jury is out . She certainly didn't sound convinced you would not be lifted.

First last week saying you could get chucked out for waving the Union flag, now you can be jailed for singing God save the Queen, Rule Britannia or "aggressively" making the sign of the cross.

No mention of IRA chants or rebel songs. This is a complete joke.

I am British and Scottish. I am proud of my country. The SNP are a joke.

Nothing wrong with being proud, nothing wrong with Rule Britannia or God Save the Queen in appropriate circumstances such as "Last Night At the Proms" or when in the presence of The Queen.

In terms of singing it at Tynecastle - why ?

It's not in the Hearts song book and has only come out lately as an attempt by some Shereen Nanjiani's to wind up 'Tic fans. As such it's not appropriate in the same way what some Celtic fans sing is not appropriate either. It is worrying that people can't seem to understand that.

To be honest - every time folks start aping Rangers fans it makes my skin crawl. It's sad that there's some that are too stupid to rise above it. :down: As a set of supporters/fans - we need to be proactive in stopping this and getting the "songbook" of the support into order and stop embarassing ourselves/our country/our club.

BASICALLY - BIGOTS WHO WANT TO DO THINGS THAT RANGERS FANS DO - GTF!

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope

Nothing wrong with being proud, nothing wrong with Rule Britannia or God Save the Queen in appropriate circumstances such as "Last Night At the Proms" or when in the presence of The Queen.

It's not in the Hearts song book and has only come out lately as an attempt by some Shereen Nanjiani's to wind up 'Tic fans. As such it's not appropriate in the same way what some Celtic fans sing is not appropriate either. It is worrying that people can't seem to understand that.

To be honest - every time folks start aping Rangers fans it makes my skin crawl. It's sad that there's some that are too stupid to rise above it. :down: As a set of supporters/fans - we need to be proactive in stopping this and getting the "songbook" of the support into order and stop embarassing ourselves/our country/our club.

BASICALLY - BIGOTS WHO WANT TO DO THINGS THAT RANGERS FANS DO - GTFin' IBROX!

Fixed that for you.

BASICALLY - BIGOTS WHO WANT TO DO THINGS THAT RANGERS FANS DO - GTF!

I'm sure that 90% of us would totally agree with your sentiments, but it's a sad fact that we have morons amongst our support.

I despair at some of the thing's i've heard grown men come out with who either don't realise, or simply don't care about how wrong their views are. Sure, everybody's entitled to an opinion, but then Hitler had an opinion didn't he...

First last week saying you could get chucked out for waving the Union flag, now you can be jailed for singing God save the Queen, Rule Britannia or "aggressively" making the sign of the cross.

Why would anyone would want to sing God save the queen or Rule Brittania at a Heart of Midlothian match anyway?

Oh thats right to taunt or wind up opposition supporters or make a bigotted statement. How about sticking to singing proper Hearts related songs and there will be no problem!

The Scottish National Party are Scotland's chosen, majority government. Their actions are therefore the manifest will of the Scottish people. The days of knuckle-draggers chanting about their beloved octogenarian incest victim for the purpose of 'winding up' similarly degenerate individuals are now at an end. *PLEASING*

:yas:

Luton Jambo

Iv'e been supporting the Famous HMFC since the early 70s in all that time Iv'e never had any occasion at Tynie when i have had the need or inclination to sing God save the Queen, or had the notion to tote the flag of the union, there have been times, i admit, to feeling aggresivly cross at the way my team played at times, but i im usualy over it by monday/ tuesday :unsure: in short what difference does it make?

This^

Mind you I have never sung that song in my life, never stood when that song was being played, or sung, and if it comes on the TV or radio I mute it. Nearly got expelled from school for refusing to stand on one occasion when it was being played at some ceremony.

As an ex serviceman I have a fondness for God Save the Queen. As a Welshman I have never sung Flower of Scotland but have no problem with it being sung at football games, provided Scotland are playing of course. My question has always been what have these songs and flags got to do with Hearts? Don't give me the "Hearts are a Scottish/British club", if so why don't the ramjets who persist in dragging the club into the dark ages sing these songs and wave these flags at ALL games.

Have your traditions. Just have em away from the football please.

I think you will find that ANYTHING that the police deem to be offensive or liable to cause offense due to religious or other bigoted slurs might lead to prosecution. The police spokesman at the inquiry today said that the law would allow the police to do their job. That is all we can ask for and no apologist for the scum that supports the Govan side of the OF can blame the SNP for that.

AND the legislation will hit the Eastenders just as hard.

stuckinsunderland

How about this, singing songs related to the club or the adopted anthem of the participating association, hunky dorry!

Anything else, is not FOOTBALL related and should be seen as incitement along with the use of certain derogitory terms!

Vlad-Stupid

:rofl:

colinmaroon

laugh.gif

I've just turned on a load of Christians walking past my house now. Make of that what you will.

Christians don't make the sign of the Cross!

JamboRossi79

:bravo:

Top post.thumbsup.gif

What this does show is tha absolute train wreck legislation on this subject will be.

Irrespective of views unless you name what is an offence and what is not then you are in trouble -- there is not a cat in hells chance of anyone singing God save the Queen ever being found guilty in a court of law.

I believe she also mentioned aggressive 'crossing' oneself -- what a joke -- so now it depends if it is aggresive or not -- just a total mess and when legislation is challanged and it will be it will be shown to be just that.

Next do we ban tunes also -- many a version of the 'billy boys' tune exists -- do we arrest Man Utd fans or Kilmarnock fans for singing words to the same tune -- can clubs fans change the words slightly as we did on our famous 1986 record and he presto all is well ?

Offence can be taken at the slightest thing these days and even if a protest group consists of one man and his dog the media will portray it as a slight to society if they object.

Sub4TiddlerMurray

Having served overseas with a Scottish Regiment in the British army I can remember in these desert climes being quite proud when the Band played the National Anthem, and after being out on some duty in the desert the sight of the Union Flag, the Scottish Flag and the Regimental Flag flying proudly also gave me great pride.

The fact that morons use these flags and anthems to further their bigoted sectarian hate filled agendas is nothing less than sickening to me.

At least our thugs in Vancouver don't sing O Canada or dis grace the flag, they only denigrate our great Canuck jerseys. :rolleyes:

:thumbsup: I like the cut of your jib Bobsharp. Well said. I'm no fan of the union flag or the 'national' anthem but as you eloquently implied, there's a time and a place for these things. And, Tynecastle isn't one of them.

With all due respect Bob, I salute you!

I feel quite proud that our ain government has the b@lls to at least try to do something about it. However flawed the legislation is, it is a step in the right direction.

Hastily drafted as this law is it will have to be interpreted in accordance with Article 10 of the European Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms (see below). This should prevent most of the more ludicrous scenarios so far suggested from happening.

Article 10 ? Freedom of expression

1. Everyone has the right to freedom of expression. This right shall include freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart information and ideas without interference by public authority and regardless of frontiers. This article shall not prevent States from requiring the licensing of broadcasting, television or cinema enterprises.
  2. The exercise of these freedoms, since it carries with it duties and responsibilities, may be subject to such formalities, conditions, restrictions or penalties as are prescribed by law and are necessary in a democratic society, in the interests of national security, territorial integrity or public safety, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, for the protection of the reputation or rights of others, for preventing the disclosure of information received in confidence, or for maintaining the authority and impartiality of the judiciary.

Use of this legislation to deal with behaviour that threatens to disrupt public order or compromise public safety would seem to be fine but attempts to push beyond that would be on shaky ground.

That seems right to me

Voice of reason

I must commend you on a very intelligent and articulate post. I enjoyed reading that. Ignore the negative comments from the outspoken minority.

williamgerrard

Maybe we should ban you snp all the way its about time we brake away from being british

This is a ridiculous law. Anything that involves the authorities curtailing a right to free speech where no violence is threatened is state repression. I have serious concerns about Salmond - with his criticism of the Law Lords and his arrogant approach to the independence referendum he is showing worrying authoritarian tendencies.

Archived