Gorgie Memories of the 60s/70's

Deevers

What's your abiding memory of Gorgie during the 1960's or 70's. It was still a bit of a village in these days with people having a family history of living in the area. If you lived there, worked there or only even passed through regularly you'll have abiding memories of the place -

Mines from that era are -

Mary Broon and her pack of dogs leashed together - sometimes as many as a dozen setting off along Gorgie Road causing mayhem as they went and often urinating on the fruit stacked up in boxes outside Saltmans Fruit shop.

Old Jock White the basket maker who lived at Tynecastle Building and who regularly plonked himself down in the shelter at the foot of Ardmillan where the Police Box is and weaved baskets there.

The wonderful aromas from the distillery and the brewery filling the air.

The rush onto Gorgie Road when Ferranti's "came out" at 5pm every night.

Russell Scotts sweetie shop next to Tynecastle Terrace.

What's yours?

Robbo-Jambo

What's your abiding memory of Gorgie during the 1960's or 70's. It was still a bit of a village in these days with people having a family history of living in the area. If you lived there, worked there or only even passed through regularly you'll have abiding memories of the place -

Mary Broon and her pack of dogs leashed together - sometimes as many as a dozen setting off along Gorgie Road causing mayhem as they went and often urinating on the fruit stacked up in boxes outside Saltmans Fruit shop.

Old Jock White the basket maker who lived at Tynecastle Building and who regularly plonked himself down in the shelter at the foot of Ardmillan where the Police Box is and weaved baskets there.

What's yours?

Nice post, makes it sound really authentic and easy to picture what you describe. :thumbsup:

My only memory is the smells from the brewery on match days and the excitement of walking along Gorgie Road with my old man after he had eventually got the car parked in Robertson Avenue. :)

jambos are go!

Hot malt loaves from the bakers at White Park. Greasy but cheap pie and chips from Davie's Cafe at the top of Macleod Street. The old dear in the Cafe near to fredeys Chip Shop whobtried to ignore decimalisation. Charlie Campbell the owner of the now Tynecastle arms and the fastest Barman the world has ever known IMO. Harrington the elder who was a good but obnoxious dentist.

Upstairs on the No 1 bus heading west along Gorgie Road, I must have been about 4 (1966 ish) - was sick with the fag smoke.

My mum had to take me off the bus outside the Gorgie Road entrance. Felt better breathing clean air - my first memory of Tynecastle.

Hot malt loaves from the bakers at White Park. Greasy but cheap pie and chips from Davie's Cafe at the top of Macleod Street. The old dear in the Cafe near to fredeys Chip Shop whobtried to ignore decimalisation. Charlie Campbell the owner of the now Tynecastle arms and the fastest Barman the world has ever known IMO. Harrington the elder who was a good but obnoxious dentist.

God - Davy's cafe I'd almost forgotten about that - never took bacon a bacon roll on a Monday always egg.

Was that the old guy that sometimes sat on the bench outside the church at the Gorgie Rd entrance drinking special brew and randomly swearing at passers by?

Never seen him weaving baskets though.

The crush going into the Gorgie Road entrance-never any queues. And picking up a dozen well-fired rolls from Malone's bakers on Slateford Road on the way home. They don't do tem like that anymore. :rolleyes:

The yeast smell takes me back 40 years. Can instantly take me to Tynecastle.

Edited by inspector

I stayed in number 4 McLeod street in the 70s,old tenement building next to the t.v shop and bookies,public toilets and paper shop on gorgie road and an alcove next to it where hearts fans stood having a peeve before the games.

The TV shop at the top of Wheatfeild and the hold up in the crowd leaving as everyone tried to catch a glimpse of the teleprinter bringing in the results.

Ahhh - the teleprinter, will never forget that moment sitting with my old man and his mates in a neighbours house when the 5 - 6 result came in against Dundeed Utd. The sound of grown men going from heartbreak to elation in a second will stay with me forever. :lol:

Edited by JT1959

Was that the old guy that sometimes sat on the bench outside the church at the Gorgie Rd entrance drinking special brew and randomly swearing at passers by?

Never seen him weaving baskets though.

It might well have been - he was quite partial to a bevvy! He usually had the green trams lines on his upper lip as well.

He was quite a character and an excellent basket maker - when sober - which wasn't very often.

Not from Gorgie but obviously visited the place from a young age

Remember a bakers and fruit shop that offered all sorts of goodies , as a 10/11yr old in the early 70's it was a treat for me and my pal to be allowed to roam free ,sure Willie Bauld had a wee shop

Sitting at the park being in awe of Hearts fans in Skinners Crombies and Docs

A big midweek game in the Texaco Cup, coming of the supporters bus, smelling the brewery is just indelible

It might well have been - he was quite partial to a bevvy! He usually had the green trams lines on his upper lip as well.

He was quite a character and an excellent basket maker - when sober - which wasn't very often.

Must be the same guy. We just knew him as old John. He once stopped me in the street on my way home from school and tried to sell me a broken alarm clock.

I don't know what he'd make of todays multi-cultural society because back in the late 70's Gorgie's fledging Asian community were often on the receiving end of his foul-mouthed tirades.

Not from Gorgie but obviously visited the place from a young age

Remember a bakers and fruit shop that offered all sorts of goodies , as a 10/11yr old in the early 70's it was a treat for me and my pal to be allowed to roam free ,sure Willie Bauld had a wee shop

Sitting at the park being in awe of Hearts fans in Skinners Crombies and Docs

A big midweek game in the Texaco Cup, coming of the supporters bus, smelling the brewery is just indelible

I remember that from the late 1960s. He ran a sweet shop but I'm struggling to remember were it was (don't think it was the , now gone, shop next to the BoS at Angle Park.

jambos are go!

I remember that from the late 1960s. He ran a sweet shop but I'm struggling to remember were it was (don't think it was the , now gone, shop next to the BoS at Angle Park.

He ran a newsagent with his wife than was just about next door to the Gorgie Fish bar.

It was on the right hand side as you walked down from Dalry if i remember correctly went a few times for smokes :ninja: just wish i was aware of who the great Man was

davemclaren

He ran a newsagent with his wife than was just about next door to the Gorgie Fish bar.

Remember going there with my old man on the way to the game in the late 60s.

Remember going there with my old man on the way to the game in the late 60s.

Yes, remember going in the late 60's early 70's after my old man telling me that was the king's shop and remember asking WB about the game we were about to play and he was totally nonplus. No doubt he had been asked a similar question a thousand times. Can't blame the guy for his disinterest, sad though, very sad.

Edited by JT1959

Konrad von Carstein

Ahh Ferrantis - when I got my apprenticeship there my mum said to me "you've got a job for life son" changed days now!

Harrington senior - remember him shouting at me for kicking him when he was using gas on me - my old dear was black affronted, for some reason she had a lot of respect for "Mr Harrington", his son does my teeth now :lol:

The hoppy smell

The crush to get out of the Gorgie Road end through the wee tunnel

Coke and crisps at the BMC

My dad and his mates used to stand under the Pink News Sign at the Gorgie Road end - me and my brother used to run about the terracing doing anything other than watching the game :lol:

The amazing variety of shops that used to be in Gorgie, butchers, fruit and veg ect

Marvids cafe - a regular treat for me and my brother and sister whan we were with my mum "doing the messages"

We stayed in Hutchison House - before our move when I was 11 to the best scheme in Edinburgh - Saughton Mains, and our new home at 17/7 Saughton Mains Park!

Edited by Konrad von Carstein

davemclaren

I do miss the hoppy smell. It was quintessentially Tynecastle.

Perhaps we could manufacture it artificially? :ninja:

What's yours?

I often think about old Jock. Had no idea where he lived though.

He was a great old bloke and I gave him a few bob whenever I could.

Have a grandchild being born next month and I would love to have one of Jock's wee baskets with a bell in it to give to him.

Thanks for restoring that memory.

RIP Jock.

Must be the same guy. We just knew him as old John. He once stopped me in the street on my way home from school and tried to sell me a broken alarm clock.

I don't know what he'd make of todays multi-cultural society because back in the late 70's Gorgie's fledging Asian community were often on the receiving end of his foul-mouthed tirades.

Yes, I remeber him as John rather than Jock.

I don't remember the foul mouthed tirades though. Must have been lucky in that regard. I do recall him being nominated for the position of Chancellor of Edinburgh University but having his nomination withdrawn at the last minute.

J.T.F.Robertson

I do miss the hoppy smell. It was quintessentially Tynecastle.

Perhaps we could manufacture it artificially? :ninja:

No perhapses about it. :huh:

My link

• 9 years later...

My nana an grandad lived in muireston gardens, i went to dalry primary, i loved my time there. My nana walking me hand in hand to john the butchers sawdust on his floor, he always gave me packet of crisps. What was the small sweerie shop called next to the church arcross from the old cemetery? Live was great back then ♥️ have alot of memories 

• 2 weeks later...
WorldChampions1902

I remember a few seasons (probably late 60’s) when some fans wore construction safety helmets with hand painted badges and slogans. Very “on trend” at the time.

Found it ironic that one of the chants from the shed at the time, was “Who’s that man with the helmet on……..? Dixon……..”.

😄

Fxxx the SPFL
2 hours ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

I remember a few seasons (probably late 60’s) when some fans wore construction safety helmets with hand painted badges and slogans. Very “on trend” at the time.

Found it ironic that one of the chants from the shed at the time, was “Who’s that man with the helmet on……..? Dixon……..”.

😄

i had one of those very said helmets white with the Hearts badge painted on it even took it down to Fulham for the Texaco cup game that was a hoot. i mind asi wasa rag and bone man my old dear used to give me some of our old jumpers to take down to him when he came round wheatfield place. Sneaking in to Tynie in the dark winter nights over the gate at the end of wheatfield street for a kick about Derek O'Conner was with us he lived two stairs down from me. Roseburn primary for me and as someone said earlier Harrington the dentist bloody butcher hit me once because i bit his finger.

Saw an earlier question about Willie Bauld's newsagent.  It was next to 124 Gorgie Road....know that because my folks first house (where I was born) was top floor, 124 - looking over Tynecastle.

Used to see him all the time when I came back from Tynecastle nursery and my mum would buy me a sweet.  One day turned up and there was a photographer.  My mum asked what was going on and Willie said "want to get a picture with the laddie".  Think it appeared in the Evening News....

PGWBCropped.thumb.jpg.9532c007d5eadf977541ca058f567468.jpg

Great times then.  We moved along to 344 Gorgie a few years later, opposite Tynecastle Annexe (when it was still there).

I probably wrote in this thread when it opened. I wondered what had happened to Willie,and see he died some time ago now, very young. I met him a couple of times at his parents home in Bingham, I cannot remember why I was there but it was nothing bad.  When driving home to Wester Broom and Later Clerwood,after a nightshift I would stop and get my morning paper at his shop. I never discussed football or Hearts with him, I found him rather quiet and suspected he was happy not to be imposed on about these items.

Gorgie particularly Tynecastle were quite a part of my young life, and Tynecastle later as a man. As a teen we went on a Sunday to the only show in town, the Roxy for the health films, later I met a nice girl whom I dated for a while Madge who lived in Downfield i think Place, she was a very special lass,  but we just sort of grew apart. I was raised in the Southside but always, I guess due to the Hearts relationship had a penchant towards the west part of town. Many happy memories of the area, a long time ago now.

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Gards said:

Saw an earlier question about Willie Bauld's newsagent.  It was next to 124 Gorgie Road....know that because my folks first house (where I was born) was top floor, 124 - looking over Tynecastle.

Used to see him all the time when I came back from Tynecastle nursery and my mum would buy me a sweet.  One day turned up and there was a photographer.  My mum asked what was going on and Willie said "want to get a picture with the laddie".  Think it appeared in the Evening News....

Great times then.  We moved along to 344 Gorgie a few years later, opposite Tynecastle Annexe (when it was still there).

:greatpost:

3 hours ago, Gards said:

That’s a magic thing to own.  👍