Your first flat

CraigSN1

Me and the lass are about to start seriously searching for a flat. The parents have finally decided they want me out! So basially, im just looking for some semi-serious :rolleyes: advice from the JKB masses. Such things as; hidden costs, letting agency advice*, mistakes you first made that should be avoided, general hints and tips please!

Cheers

*I'd rather not turn this into "avoid such and such letting agency".....There was a thread with that last week!

My first flat was in Tay Street, many fond memories: 5 - 10 minute walk from Tynecastle, 2 minutes from Diggers and about 15 minute walk to Tollcross.

Parking was a nightmare right enough (especially on match days).

My first flat was in Tay Street, many fond memories: 5 - 10 minute walk from Tynecastle, 2 minutes from Diggers and about 15 minute walk to Tollcross.

Parking was a nightmare right enough (especially on match days).

Cheers for that. :unsure:

I'm assuming you're renting your first place.

Advice: go to a reputable agency. I have taken on board you don't want an agency witch hunt thread, but there's no better way to find out who the goods ones are through word of mouth. Find out who the landlord is and ensure that are registered. This is free to do on-line. https://www.landlordregistrationscotland.gov.uk.

Hidden costs? Well none really, the agency gets their fee from the landlord. They will charge you a deposit and at least the first months rent in advance. Reality is due to tenancy risk is that many will insist on the deposit and the first 3 months rent (some now insist on the 6 months!) in advance. This is worth asking as soon as you enquire about a property.

Once you've done your homework and decided it's for you, move swiftly. The rental market is buoyant currently and the best properties go very quickly.

Other than that happy hunting and good luck! :thumbsup:

if moving in with the gf for the first time, my advice would be get a 2 bed flat. she will have more **** than you can shake a 7tonne truck at. also, means you can each have some space. if you are living on top of one another, you will need some place where you can have a time out from one another (i.e. xbox room etc - or crappy Glee dvds for her!)

if moving in with the gf for the first time, my advice would be get a 2 bed flat. she will have more **** than you can shake a 7tonne truck at. also, means you can each have some space. if you are living on top of one another, you will need some place where you can have a time out from one another (i.e. xbox room etc - or crappy Glee dvds for her!)

Its two bed flats we're looking at mate, mostly looking in livingston as thats where shes from and its alot cheaper, nice two bed flats, en suite which means she can have her own bathroom so cant complain when i stink the main one out ;)

Sooperstar

My first flat was with a friend. We found it on Gumtree, went to see it and moved in a few weeks later. Any problems I ever had I got in touch with the landlord and he had it sorted quickly. Didn't ever have any problems in the 18 months we stayed there.

syndicalist

Me and the lass are about to start seriously searching for a flat. The parents have finally decided they want me out! So basially, im just looking for some semi-serious :rolleyes: advice from the JKB masses. Such things as; hidden costs, letting agency advice*, mistakes you first made that should be avoided, general hints and tips please!

Cheers

*I'd rather not turn this into "avoid such and such letting agency".....There was a thread with that last week!

This is all wrong. Imagine getting to forty and your parents throw you out. Now you have to get a place with some bint you don't even want to live with and to top it all she wants you to stay in Livi. At least she can do your washing and cooking. Not the same as mummy though. No breaks,feel for you pal.

Do The Dance

Livi!? I can help you no further, obviously a lost cause.

beware that your first shop is going to cost a small fortune as you'll need all sorts of cleaning materials and stuff like bog roll. along with filling your cupboards and fridge from scratch you'll have to dig deep. scrounge as much as you can from your folks

beware that your first shop is going to cost a small fortune as you'll need all sorts of cleaning materials and stuff like bog roll. along with filling your cupboards and fridge from scratch you'll have to dig deep. scrounge as much as you can from your folks

Great advice!!

Ray Winstone

Ask around friends and family for anyone who is renting a flat out.

Letting agents can be absolute bandits when it comes to inventory charges, credit checks and losing your deposit at the end of your rental agreement.

Much better to try and find a private landlord and get a decent lease drawn up and signed.

And on that note: get your folks to read over any lease you are presented with. You will be surprised what things can pop up in them that you are perhaps unprepared for.

:thumbsup:

Its two bed flats we're looking at mate, mostly looking in livingston as thats where shes from and its alot cheaper, nice two bed flats, en suite which means she can have her own bathroom so cant complain when i stink the main one out ;)

If it's West Lothian your after, don't ignore Bathgate. Also think about travel to work, college whatever.

Bert Le Clos

My advice would be don't rent.

You'll probably pay more than if you get a mortgage. Save up a decent deposit.

It's easier to do that without throwing money away on rent.

Snake Plissken

This has to be said on every such thread:

AVOID GRANT MANAGEMENT LIKE THE BUBONIC PLAGUE

This has to be said on every such thread:

AVOID GRANT MANAGEMENT LIKE THE BUBONIC PLAGUE

Just need to echo this statement

M y first flat was 134 Gorgie road and overlooked a certain Tynecastle park ahhhhhhhhhh heaven

great days having a peeve and watchin the footy from your house you could actually have a pee in the bog wi the windae open and miss fek all.

Best one is when 6 of us walk into the stair and catch 3 vicTIMS pishing in the stair unlucky don.t think they made it to Seville.

Dave Spacey

Remember and include council tax in your budget.

Other things to remember and set up, tv licence, line rental, tv/broadband/phone, contents insurance (not buildings the landlord covers that), post office redirection.

As has been said you'll probably spend a fortune on little things like cleaning stuff, bins, door mats, cutlery and plates, microwave, kettle, toaster etc.

Good luck finding a place, are you looking at furnished or unfurnished?

My advice would be don't rent.

Absolutely.

Squat! :thumbsup:

Spent a summer squatted in a classy joint in Hackney 20 odd years ago. Don't recall paying leccy bills or rates either. Great (but temporary) times.

fabienleclerq

As said above dont rent your just paying someone eles's mortgage.

My first flat had no gas, hated it lecky hobs are a nightmare. Two rooms a must! Nothing worse than having a barney then your stuck in the same room.

Don't move in with a bunch of stoner mates. That's what I did when I left home, I can't remember about 2 years of my life.

I've got a few quid saved up and have factored putting savings of around ?250 away on top of the cost of living. So the plan is to rent for a few years until im in more of a stronger position to be able to put a decent chunk down as a deposit.

Also, if im being perfectly honest, her folks have a small fortune tied up in their property and they are quite old and don't keep in the best of health;) .....and shes an only child. ;)

polwarthjambo

I've got a few quid saved up and have factored putting savings of around ?250 away on top of the cost of living. So the plan is to rent for a few years until im in more of a stronger position to be able to put a decent chunk down as a deposit.

Also, if im being perfectly honest, her folks have a small fortune tied up in their property and they are quite old and don't keep in the best of health;) .....and shes an only child. ;)

:o All the best with the flat move malcolm :whistling: .

Buffalo Bill

Think carefully about where you're moving to. Don't be scared or shy to knock on neighbouring doors to see what your neighbours would be like and to ask them what they think of the other neighbours. They'd probably be just as interested to know what you're like.

I say this because re my first flat, I bought it not knowing I was living amongst a bunch of housing associational nutjobs; like a hoard of escapees from a lunatic asylum.

P.S Don't buy immediately above a takeaway.

If it's West Lothian your after, don't ignore Bathgate. Also think about travel to work, college whatever.

Especially the Wester Inch development. That's where i am. There are loads of nice apartments up for rent here.

To quote Baz Luhrmann " Don?t expect anyone else to support you. Maybe you have a trust fund, maybe you have a wealthy spouse; but you never know when either one might run out"

Also, don't move in 3 days before christmas and don't have your housewarming on christmas eve when you're working a 16 hour shift christmas day :ermm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTJ7AzBIJoI

Cheers

tried to send you a PM mate but i think you may need to delete some :thumbsup:

Archived