Question RE Hearts' Ajax Kit 1970's

dannymack

A question was put to me regarding the said kit as to why Hearts didn't wear it when Hibs hit us for 7 in 1973 (get over it lads) it was also mentioned that the same kit was officially named as the "Centenery" kit despite it being introduced for 1972/73.

After some quick research it was noted that in season 1972/73, Hearts wore the Ajax kit on most occasions only opting for the traditional maroon top when playing the likes of Dumbarton and Airdrie for obvious reasons but when Hearts played Hibs at Fester Rd we wore the Ajax kit and Hibs wore an all green top that day so why the change for New Years Day ?

Hearts in actual fact wore three home designed kits that season, the Ajax style, the round neck (early season) and the triangle with collar style, i can only assume the clash of kits for the earlier Dumbarton League Cup game Hearts had to opt for the previous seasons kit (round neck) ?????

Anyway i also noted that Hearts used the Texaco Cup final kit on a few occasions and also noted the kit worn for the Dundee Scottish Cup tie in 1975 was a bit different.

Anyway if anyone has any info with regards to the queery into the New Years Day decision let me know as i for one have not got a dinky.

A question was put to me regarding the said kit as to why Hearts didn't wear it when Hibs hit us for 7 in 1973 (get over it lads) it was also mentioned that the same kit was officially named as the "Centenery" kit despite it being introduced for 1972/73.

After some quick research it was noted that in season 1972/73, Hearts wore the Ajax kit on most occasions only opting for the traditional maroon top when playing the likes of Dumbarton and Airdrie for obvious reasons but when Hearts played Hibs at Fester Rd we wore the Ajax kit and Hibs wore an all green top that day so why the change for New Years Day ?

Hearts in actual fact wore three home designed kits that season, the Ajax style, the round neck (early season) and the triangle with collar style, i can only assume the clash of kits for the earlier Dumbarton League Cup game Hearts had to opt for the previous seasons kit (round neck) ?????

Anyway i also noted that Hearts used the Texaco Cup final kit on a few occasions and also noted the kit worn for the Dundee Scottish Cup tie in 1975 was a bit different.

Anyway if anyone has any info with regards to the queery into the New Years Day decision let me know as i for one have not got a dinky.

the game was on BBC, and back in 1973 most people still had black and white tv sets, the white sleeves on the Ajax kit would have been similar to Hibs white sleeved style on a black and white tv picture making it hard to distinguish between the two teams

The "Ajax" kit was also described as Hearts' "Floodlight Strip". Easier to see under the gloomy lights of the early 70's maybe.

There's a programme pic of Tommy Murray wearing the strip with this description underneath.

It's most famous outing was under the lights at Ibrox for the "Tommy Murray sitting on the ball" game.

Buffalo Bill

the game was on BBC, and back in 1973 most people still had black and white tv sets, the white sleeves on the Ajax kit would have been similar to Hibs white sleeved style on a black and white tv picture making it hard to distinguish between the two teams

That's an interesting point.

Great photos from the OP. Retro-heaven.

SectionDJambo

At that time, the home team were the ones to change if there was a clash of colours. As has been mentioned, this would be why Hibs changed into an all green top, with white cuffs and neck, when we visited Easter Road. It was decided by whoever, that both kits having white sleeves would cause a clash, maybe, again as has been mentioned, because many people still has black and white televisions. Particularly as floodlights at the time were not nearly up to the same standard as now.

Bobby Seith had sanctioned the "floodlight" strip and they wore it for the first time whilst on a pre season tour of Holland being based at Papendal Sports Centre.

The Texaco Cup kit Hearts used without the maroon shorts and opting for white shorts looks pretty naff, typical though as we've had a few horrible mixtures in our time.

Have to say though the Hearts v Dundee Cup tie would have been a bit of an eye opener, Hearts wearing a red and white stripped top, white shorts and maroon socks with Dundee in their navy blue, white shorts and red socks !!!!!!!

The new strip for 11/12 is similar to the Alan Anderson top worn above, obviously no crest, manufacturer emblem and sponsor to show but i'm sure someone with some clout could fix that :whistling:

Never ever liked the idea of Hearts wearing white socks with the home kit though as i noticed they done so in the 1970's.

Buffalo Bill

The notion that is was the home team who had to change colours further clarifies our original puzzle, so thanks for that insight.

Again, thanks again to the OP for uploading his superb pictures.

...but I have to say I do like a home kit with white socks, ala most of 85/86, most of 06/07 and parts of 09/10.

Dark maroon top, white shorts and white socks looks fantastic. Happy with maroon socks, but dislike the all-maroon kit look.

Buffalo Bill

No doubt hibs will claim to be the first to have had a floodlight strip.

vintage1874

wwkhhj.jpg

Is that the red and white away strip you mentioned they played in against dundee? or is it maroon and white? Some great pics you've posted I'd forgotten Eamon bannon had hair once :whistling:

Is that the red and white away strip you mentioned they played in against dundee? or is it maroon and white? Some great pics you've posted I'd forgotten Eamon bannon had hair once :whistling:

No mate this away kit may well have been a 3rd kit or used by the reserves in season 1976/77. Not got any evidence of Hearts using it against Aberdeen that season for example.

If anyone remembers that kit and if it was used in a first team game.

Here's a picture of the red kit against Dundee...

PS A massive crowd of over 27 k inside Tynecastle that day and over 22k inside Dens for the replay.

2po8705.jpg

Taken from the Hearts v Arbroath programme 22nd March 1975....

CHANGE OF STRIP

"Many fans were wondering why Hearts were wearing new jerseys during the Scottish Cup clash with Dndee at Tynecastle. Referee Bobby Davidson had thought the normal maroon jersey would clash with the dark blue of Dundee. Earlier when that happened, manager John Hagart had produced white substitute jerseys, but the players didn't like them and on this occasion the boss decided to go for a completely new strip. One player who would have stuck to maroon was Drew Busby who told me: 'They're not bad but i'd rather have the old jerseys - there's nothing to beat them'

All very well but it doesn't say where we got them and when the decision was to acually go red.

Buffalo Bill

2po8705.jpg

It's easy to forget how big the enclosure was, and how it complemented the rest of the stand.

The current Lower N and T are only a fraction of the size it once was, due to the club moving the pitch eastwards.

Buffalo Bill

There's something quite magical about 70s football photos.

What was the name of that 70s photography book that Four Four Two used to advertise - the once with George best on the front? Goal or something?

The dundee replay at dens park i can still remember the packed hearts end all sitting down (kinda ironic} and singing looking through tommy gemmils nose .

Hit song at the time looking through gary gilmores eyes by the adverts check you tube.

a safe pair of sells

No doubt hibs will claim to be the first to have had a floodlight strip.

Just to rub their faces in it, we originally wore a maroon version of their kit for floodlit games!!!!

vintage1874

No mate this away kit may well have been a 3rd kit or used by the reserves in season 1976/77. Not got any evidence of Hearts using it against Aberdeen that season for example.

If anyone remembers that kit and if it was used in a first team game.

Here's a picture of the red kit against Dundee...

PS A massive crowd of over 27 k inside Tynecastle that day and over 22k inside Dens for the replay.

A great picture, thanks for that. I never knew we had a red and white shirt. We seem to have a thing about 3rd kits and dundee I remember us wearing a yellow one up there in the mid 1990's

Hearts used this kit for the floodlight friendlies and once the novelty wore off re used for training.

6ehglk.jpg

I believe the red kit worn in the Dundee cup tie was borrowed from a local club, be it Junior , semi-pro or Juvenile i'm not sure. As for the stripped strip for season 76-77 this was definately worn on a few occasions at home. Give me an hour our two whilst i try to find my programme collection

A great picture, thanks for that. I never knew we had a red and white shirt. We seem to have a thing about 3rd kits and dundee I remember us wearing a yellow one up there in the mid 1990's

This effort mate ?

2myrvyt.jpg

I believe the red kit worn in the Dundee cup tie was borrowed from a local club, be it Junior , semi-pro or Juvenile i'm not sure. As for the stripped strip for season 76-77 this was definately worn on a few occasions at home. Give me an hour our two whilst i try to find my programme collection

I had a quick trawl through mine also mate but couldn't find any action photo's, good luck.

Same as the floodlight kit, instead of binning it use it for training.

20kypfq.jpg

Freddie Glidden, the open corner and the famous floodlight strip.

2yw7a6h.jpg

But the question is, whose floodlights was it for ? and was it really for floodlights ? maybe we were trying to emulate the great Hibs team of the 1950's, you know the one, the one that taught the world how to play football :huh:

The Freddie Glidden picture was taken in 1956, please note, no floodlights at Tynecastle, i'm sure some hobo will be quick to inform us they were first to install floodlights :P

remember being at a cup game against stenhousemuir late 70's where there was a clash and we had to change into the candy stripe - great strip - if umbro are in a retro mood, what about the candy stripe for 2012/12?

Plenty material on this thread for Scotland to be working on hint hint

The Old Tolbooth

But the question is, whose floodlights was it for ? and was it really for floodlights ? maybe we were trying to emulate the great Hibs team of the 1950's, you know the one, the one that taught the world how to play football :huh:

The Freddie Glidden picture was taken in 1956, please note, no floodlights at Tynecastle, i'm sure some hobo will be quick to inform us they were first to install floodlights :P

I might be wrong, but I thought Stenhousemuir were the first to have floodlights, or was that a scoreboard? :unsure:

I'm amazed to see how many people are packed into the Main Stand back in the 70's, the thing would probably fall sown nowadays with that many in it! :D

I prefer the yellow strip much more to the stripey effort we have this year, and the past blue and white stripe etc.. :mellow:

I prefer the yellow strip much more to the stripey effort we have this year, and the past blue and white stripe etc.. :mellow:

My all time favourite away kit....

2dufk48.jpg

Bert Le Clos

My all time favourite away kit....

2dufk48.jpg

This.

Followed by the silver number we wore early 90's I think.

londonjambo

Dannymack - I'm sure you know the answer to these questions. Hearts did indeed play a series of floodlit games as "home" games at Easter Road because they had floodlights and we didnt.

So, for instance, we played Newcastle in November 1955 at Easter Road for that very reason under floodlights

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/195511071.html

The opening of the Tynecastle lights was marked by a game against Hibs in October 1957

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/195710071.html

But as I say, am sure you must know all this, no ?

GC

Dannymack - I'm sure you know the answer to these questions. Hearts did indeed play a series of floodlit games as "home" games at Easter Road because they had floodlights and we didnt.

So, for instance, we played Newcastle in November 1955 at Easter Road for that very reason under floodlights

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/195511071.html

The opening of the Tynecastle lights was marked by a game against Hibs in October 1957

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/195710071.html

But as I say, am sure you must know all this, no ?

GC

Just testing the Kickbackers, wouldn't be any fun in it otherwise but not in a urine extraction way anyway i'm still angling on the fact that Hibs fans insist on informing us they had floodlights first and Hearts "needed" Hibs in order to play such games.

vintage1874

This effort mate ?

2myrvyt.jpg

Thats the one

londonjambo

Just testing the Kickbackers, wouldn't be any fun in it otherwise but not in a urine extraction way anyway i'm still angling on the fact that Hibs fans insist on informing us they had floodlights first and Hearts "needed" Hibs in order to play such games.

Did I pass ? :thumbsup:

GC

I had a quick trawl through mine also mate but couldn't find any action photo's, good luck.

Same as the floodlight kit, instead of binning it use it for training.

20kypfq.jpg

Nope. unfortunately I cant Find any evidence. I could have sworn that we played in this strip. Ach well. Memory is a funny thing.

Did I pass ? :thumbsup:

GC

Top of the class mate but i'll refrain from assuming you attended those games in question :whistling:

Nope. unfortunately I cant Find any evidence. I could have sworn that we played in this strip. Ach well. Memory is a funny thing.

Maybe the case Hurdie, surely someone can help us in our quest ? Nice top though, slightly similar to the away kit we had for the Millenium era.

a safe pair of sells

This effort mate ?

2myrvyt.jpg

WHEN MOJO EATS A BANANA! That's the only strip he ever wanted to wear by the way! :lol:

henryheart

The red and white strip was worn only the once against Dundee and I recall the story about it being borrowed due to a problem with the normal white top. In the good old days when the home team changed strips when there was a clash, Hearts always changed when playing against teams wearing dark coloured tops - Falkirk, Dundee, Aberdeen, Rangers, St. Johnstone and Arbroath for example, TV or no TV. The only time when there was a change against Hibs was when the Ajax strip was introduced.

As for the broad stripes, this was frequently used in 1975-76, after which the change top reverted to white and as the photo shows, it was recycled as a training top!. I have clear memories of it being used against Aberdeen (3-3 game) and Stirling (cup)for example.

The red and white strip was worn only the once against Dundee and I recall the story about it being borrowed due to a problem with the normal white top. In the good old days when the home team changed strips when there was a clash, Hearts always changed when playing against teams wearing dark coloured tops - Falkirk, Dundee, Aberdeen, Rangers, St. Johnstone and Arbroath for example, TV or no TV. The only time when there was a change against Hibs was when the Ajax strip was introduced.

As for the broad stripes, this was frequently used in 1975-76, after which the change top reverted to white and as the photo shows, it was recycled as a training top!. I have clear memories of it being used against Aberdeen (3-3 game) and Stirling (cup)for example.

2yw9wzt.jpg

2z6sb4i.jpg

I'm positive we played in that strip against Aberdeen. 1st game of the season. 1.0 up, lost 1.4, at Tynie. 1979 maybe?

I'm positive we played in that strip against Aberdeen. 1st game of the season. 1.0 up, lost 1.4, at Tynie. 1979 maybe?

Start of the 1978/79 campaign mate, Hearts were wearing the "Umbro Diamonds Down The Sleeves" kit albeit the away one as you say. Hearts were 1-0 up after 4 minutes through Eamonn Bannon, the rest they say is history :angry:

15gfk2b.jpg

Alex MacDonald

Start of the 1978/79 campaign mate, Hearts were wearing the "Umbro Diamonds Down The Sleeves" kit albeit the away one as you say. Hearts were 1-0 up after 4 minutes through Eamonn Bannon, the rest they say is history :angry:

15gfk2b.jpg

Correct, and Bannon hit the post shortly after scoring. Wouldn't have changed anything, the sales of Bannon & Parkie, & getting John Craig & Dennis McQuade in return from Thistle doomed us to relegation. And what kind of numpty programme editor puts a goal being scored AGAINST Hearts on the cover?!?

Doctor FinnBarr

2yw9wzt.jpg

2z6sb4i.jpg

On the front of the Ayr prog the Stirling defender was their captain Stewart Carr, who lived round the corner from me.

I'm going to change my name to "Interesting" now!

:whistling:

Whilst I can't ever recall seeing Hearts in the broad Maroon & White stripes one. I did have one myself. Was in a shop up the southside before the one of the Airdrie semi's in (mid 80's??) and they had racks of dodgy retro hearts tops with club badge. Bought the broad stripe one and wore it to the semi, we got pumped and it never felt like a lucky top so binned shortly after.

Doctor FinnBarr

Certain we played Aberdeen in a red candy stripe shirt maybe about 76, about 99% sure of this but I'm at a bad age now so maybe its just my memory!

:blink:

Archived