Money paid into my account....

RoyCropper

Just checking my bank statement and reliased that yesterday a sum of ?344 was paid into my account. It certainly wasnt me and it was labelled as BGC which is Bank Giro Credit.

Should i own up to the bank seeing as it looks like either the bank have made an error or some poor bugger has got their account number wrong? The bank can also take the money back if they reliase cant they?

Morals and conscience? :rolleyes:

Or keep schtum and hope they dont notice? :thumbsup:

Radioactive Mince

I'd keep it in my account but not spend it. If a month or two passes, buy yourself some new threads, mate :thumbsup:

Dean Winchester

I'd keep it in my account but not spend it. If a month or two passes, buy yourself some new threads, mate :thumbsup:

Happened to my boss once. She had ?35k deposited into her account. Informed the bank and they said there was nothing they could do about it... Was in her account for 6 months before the person who deposited it realised they had made a mistake and got the bank to correct it.

I'd advise only spending it if you can pay it back on short notice.

Spend it and say you never realised as you hardly check your balance.

Pay it back at a Fiver a week :thumbsup:

Edit::: Not a huge amount.You will get away with it

Jimmy Powell

Happened to a friend of mine a few weeks ago ?1200 in her account that she knew nothing about, turned out it was something to do with halifax making a ****** up with her mortgage (sure it was in the paper a few weeks ago) and that was how much they had done her by.

Might be worth checking to see where it came from or just spend it and worry about it later :whistling:

My advice is to spend it all - every last shekel - on lager.

On the iPhone and I knew who had written this before scrolling to the left and checking!!!

:yas:

On the iPhone and I knew who had written this before scrolling to the left and checking!!!

:yas:

Enjoying a small aperitif or two as we speak, old bean.

thumbsup.gif

Tiberius Stinkfinger

Happened to me a few years ago with Barclays. Was about ?500.

I spent it on Lager.

They realised after about a month and wanted it back.

I had to pay it back.

Happened to me a few years ago with Barclays. Was about ?500.

I spent it on Lager.

They realised after about a month and wanted it back.

I had to pay it back.

I bet that lager was good, though.

My advice is to spend it all - every last shekel - on lager.

Enjoying a small aperitif or two as we speak, old bean.

thumbsup.gif

I bet that lager was good, though.

I take it the patter in the pub is shite?

I take it the patter in the pub is shite?

I'm not at the pub.

Drinking alone - it's both big and clever.

Just checking my bank statement and reliased that yesterday a sum of ?344 was paid into my account. It certainly wasnt me and it was labelled as BGC which is Bank Giro Credit.

Should i own up to the bank seeing as it looks like either the bank have made an error or some poor bugger has got their account number wrong? The bank can also take the money back if they reliase cant they?

give it to me and i'll look after it for you. pm me for my bank details and you can wire it through :thumbsup:

Bert Le Clos

Spend it.

If you can't think of anything to spend it on, contact Charlie Sheen. He'll have a few ideas.

Spend on alcohol & women, then just waste the rest......cool.gif

heartsfc_fan

Transfer it to another account. Open a new account. Close the one you just transfered it to. Then with the wad of cash put it in the new account :thumbsup:

At the start of February I randomly got ?1830 paid into my account from the Prudential with no idea as to how it got there. Waited a month then dipped into it, still kept a fair chunk though just incase they do ask for it back.

• 5 years later...

I think this just happened to me? Just got ?500 via BGC, never heard of it before right enough

It may be tomorrow, a week, a month or 3 months but I can guarantee the bank will notice the oversight (if it is an oversight).

I seriously advise phoning them, it may well be valid.

I'd call them you and ask who it was from. Could be something you have forgot about. ? If its a mistake they WILL notice it and they WILL take it back. Might as well get it sorted IMO

What bank is it?

Some banks do a deal where they refund a transaction at random you've made up to ?500, so might be that if you have a matching transaction in the previous month.

to me, if you get money into your account that you know isn't for you, and keep it, then this is theft. I know a lot of the replies are tongue in cheek but both the OP and the new poster really need to contact their bank. I'm probably in the minority who would never keep anything that wasn't mine. I always tell someone if they have given me extra money in my change, and would always hand in money I found in the street. I do get slagged about it from my mates but hey ho 

Pepole saying spend it - what happens when they money comes out and possibly leaves you overdrawn and facing bank charges?

Horatio Caine

Just checked my account.  Gutted to see that there are no unexpected credits appearing.

to me, if you get money into your account that you know isn't for you, and keep it, then this is theft. I know a lot of the replies are tongue in cheek but both the OP and the new poster really need to contact their bank. I'm probably in the minority who would never keep anything that wasn't mine. I always tell someone if they have given me extra money in my change, and would always hand in money I found in the street. I do get slagged about it from my mates but hey ho 

It isn't theft as there is no element of felonious appropriation and no overt criminal act. Both essential elements to prove the crime of theft.

However the correct and upstanding course of action is to flag it up to the bank and see what they say. If after you have done that, the money remains in the account, its a dilemma.

I'd probably spend it some weeks after making sure I had taken all possible steps to facilitate a correction.

Just checked my account.  Gutted to see that there are no unexpected credits appearing.

Just checked mine. There is ?344 missing. :toff:

It isn't theft as there is no element of felonious appropriation and no overt criminal act. Both essential elements to prove the crime of theft.

However the correct and upstanding course of action is to flag it up to the bank and see what they say. If after you have done that, the money remains in the account, its a dilemma.

I'd probably spend it some weeks after making sure I had taken all possible steps to facilitate a correction.

Keep telling yourself that.  The reality is that knowingly spending money you know isn't yours is a crime and you will be prosecuted if they can't recover the money from your account.

Sawdust Caesar

It isn't theft, as Colly says, but it is, in legal parlance, Unjustified Enrichment which is money you received that you have no right to. The bank will eventually ask for the money back and would go down the civil legal route to recover it.

Keep telling yourself that. The reality is that knowingly spending money you know isn't yours is a crime and you will be prosecuted if they can't recover the money from your account.

In all honesty I'd do nothing. I certainly wouldn't be calling them. Up to them if they come looking for it or not.

It isn't theft, as Colly says, but it is, in legal parlance, Unjustified Enrichment which is money you received that you have no right to. The bank will eventually ask for the money back and would go down the civil legal route to recover it.

Ok, unjustified Enrichment then, not theft. My rule has always been, if it's not yours it's not yours

In all honesty I'd do nothing. I certainly wouldn't be calling them. Up to them if they come looking for it or not.

That is fair enough.

I personally don't want money hanging around in my account that is giving you a false sense of your actual balance as it could disappear and you suddenly find yourself short.

Notorious BIG

Id never keep someone elses money, Say someone got the account number wrong and payed money into my account, Id happily pay it back. The banks? they took my money and squandered it so they can fek off!

The Comedian

Heard of boys offshore getting paid thousands by office girls by mistake and they get to keep it.

Not sure I believe it myself. One was over 200k lol

That is fair enough.

I personally don't want money hanging around in my account that is giving you a false sense of your actual balance as it could disappear and you suddenly find yourself short.

I was referring to the sum mentioned of ?500, which really wouldn't make much of a difference to my bank account. A large sum and I'd probably be contacting the bank.

Heard of boys offshore getting paid thousands by office girls by mistake and they get to keep it.

Not sure I believe it myself. One was over 200k lol

Payroll at my work messed up my OT rate for over two years with what I can only imagine was a computer glitch. The rate showed correctly on my weekly payslips bit incorrectly on my 4 weekly payslips that determined my actual pay. This corrected itself a few months ago.

I know someone in my work who's partner got a random payment. It turned out one of their credit card companies jade completed a voluntary PPI investigation and paid compensation automatically. When the bank confirmed the payer, she phoned them up, and they confirmed it was genuine. The letter advised a few days later.

Bindy Badgy

If it has been paid in mistakenly by a third party the bank cannot remove it without your permission. I used to work in complaints for one of the high street banks, I had to deal with a complaint from a customer that had paid around ?500 into a third party's account. We couldn't remove the funds or give the complainant the account holder's details. We did send a letter that the complainant had written requesting return of the funds to the account holder. I think the person that paid the money in could persue it through the small claims court but I may be mistaken.

It may be somewhat different if the payment is the result of bank error.

I have worked in the bank & they can only re-claim the error if you keep your account open

If you close the account then there's nothing they can do to re-claim the funds back

I would assume that it is the fault of the employee processing the cheque (they keep copies of the slips for future reference, they should also check that the cheque name matches the account holder, this hasn't been done),the customer will enquire at same stage about the whereabouts of the funds, bank will notice error & correct the error from their in house loss accounts and probably issue compensation for inconvenience

Everyone's a winner except the bank! Now close that account Sir!

Archived