REM

Boomstick

On a wee binge today. Great band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW-66e_wyxg

It's the birds birthday today so I put this on her facebook page:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdHMJ39M0JU

Usually these threads go "anyone else like this band?" but of course, every ***** likes REM.

I also got her a mug that says I <3 Gypsies on it. :)

were a great band before they became a hyper-band. nowadays they're churning out fairly similar material to the previous stuff.

great albums - fables of the reconstruction, life's rich pageant, out of time (maybe), automatic for the people.

meh to anything after automatic.

Say them at the Playhouse in 1989. One of the best gigs I've ever been to.

i bet that was good. they far preferred the smaller venues to the stadium gigs. i saw them at murrayfield which was no better than ok.

Buffalo Bill

Isn't it annoying though that TV and radio stations only ever play Losing my Religion as if it's the only song they've ever done.

Imitation of Life, At My Most Beautiful, Nightswimming, Find the River and Sweetness Follows are my favourite tracks from a great band.

Say them at the Playhouse in 1989. One of the best gigs I've ever been to.

Completely agree Boris, I was there with a small posse of sixth years from school and it remains one of my top three gigs 20+ years on.

The Playhouse is a fairly poor venue, hard to get a good atmosphere in, but what I remember most from that night was that every single person in the place was on their feet, dancing like mad for the whole gig. I had never seen that at The Playhouse before (or since). In my experience the stalls would be up and dancing, but the circles mostly stayed firmly on their backsides.

But then Stipe's dancing is kind of infectious!

Also I think REM were relatively unknown then, if you were a fan then, you were a proper fan. They were like a musical secret for the people who knew.

That was the Green tour, but Document is one of my top ten albums of all time.

I saw them again at Murrayfield a few years later and they were average. Wish I hadn't, because it sullied the memory a bit.

My all time favourite REM track from around the era I loved them best!

Have been responsible for some of the most beautiful music of my lifetime. Can be a bit meh but still love playing along to their earlier stuff on me bass.

were a great band before they became a hyper-band. nowadays they're churning out fairly similar material to the previous stuff.

great albums - fables of the reconstruction, life's rich pageant, out of time (maybe), automatic for the people.

Meh to anything after Murmur.

The Comedian

Monster is a cracking album IMO.

Crush with eyeliner :thumbsup:

They're fantastic. Stipe us the most charismatic front man I've ever seen.

Seen them at murrayfield, stirling castle, balloch and twickenham. Last time round they were at the best I've seen them

Meh to anything after Murmur.

:omg!: christ i forgot about murmur. a splendid piece of work throughout.

Monster is a cracking album IMO.

Crush with eyeliner :thumbsup:

good track. not a great album.

Saw them at murrayfield also but IMO the cranberries who were supporting them stole the show!

Isn?t it weird that 2 people can have completely different views of the same event, i was just thinking while reading this thread that the cranberries were awful that day, and REM were not much better, stadium gigs really don?t work for some bands.

Used to like REM till i saw them at Murrayfield in 95?. I personally thought they were terrible and it put me off them but other people i know who went thought they were great each to their own.

Sheriff Fatman

Saw them at murrayfield also but IMO the cranberries who were supporting them stole the show!

Agreed, I didn't like the Cranberries until I saw them live at Murryfield. REM were very muted in comparison.

Archived