"Fella"

Acey

forrester_jambo
Anyone who uses this term at the end of their sentences is a prat. No exceptions.

i use it all the time fella, to be honest fella i really dont care if you think im a pratt fella, i feel you are the prat fella for letting us no that a 5 worded letter gets to you that bad fella anyway fella ill get away now fella and try n chill out fella all the best fella

fj<<<<< top fella!

I P Knightley

On the one hand there's the argument that accessible travel and omnipresent media outlets have opened our language to the influences of new and fascinating dialects such as "Fella" from the Scousers (I believe), "Bonny Lad/Lass" from the Geordies & Mackems, "Dude" from the Americans, "Compadre" from the Spanish speakers and so on. I even seem to remember a time when many fine, upstanding people of Edinburgh were ending their sentences with the word "But", an affectation of our friends in the West. Without this, our language (beautiful though it is when not abused) would stagnate.

On the other hand there's the argument that the indiscriminate and illogical use of phrases such as "fella" renders the user a complete prat.

I lean towards the latter argument.

And as for abuse of the word "of" - don't get me started!!

I like it when I hear people use the word 'hen' as in 'don't worry about that, hen'.

heard on buses from Midlothian after a conversation which ran along the lines of

"... and she says that he says that he's no been cheating on her, but a says that he has and she says he's no"

"don't worry about that, hen"

i work in essex and lots of people say "fella" there. don't see anything wrong with it, its just their diallect. its not like saying "man" or "innit"

i'll never say it though, as it would sound stupid with my mixed scottish accent

Archived