'Do You Know What?'

alex plode

This phrase seems to be creeping into our everyday language and it really bugs me. Everytime you hear a guest on a radio show or a chat show, (Alan Carr is particulary bad for it), they come out which this nonsense phrase. It seems to be replacing 'like' as a trendy thing to say but it gets right on my tats.

I don't watch any soaps but the wife does and I hear it on them as well. What is the point? Even the wife has started saying it especially when she has had a few and when I tell her it annoys me, she says 'Do you know what? If you don't like me saying it then don't speak to me.' She doesn't even know she is saying it.

Does anyone else get irritated by this or any other pointless phrase? Rant over

People who like, say like, like, all the time are like, absolute morons who I have, like, little time for.

And I was like......

Dusk_Till_Dawn

This phrase seems to be creeping into our everyday language and it really bugs me. Everytime you hear a guest on a radio show or a chat show, (Alan Carr is particulary bad for it), they come out which this nonsense phrase. It seems to be replacing 'like' as a trendy thing to say but it gets right on my tats.

I don't watch any soaps but the wife does and I hear it on them as well. What is the point? Even the wife has started saying it especially when she has had a few and when I tell her it annoys me, she says 'Do you know what? If you don't like me saying it then don't speak to me.' She doesn't even know she is saying it.

Does anyone else get irritated by this or any other pointless phrase? Rant over

If that's the extent of your mental torment, you'll live a long and happy life. Like

Say What Again

I heard a woman on the phone the other day asking her friend 'What you up to tonight? You just going to chillax?'.

Does anybody here actually chillax? What do you do to chillax? I assume it means having a quiet evening at home watching TV, therefor chillaxing is just a quirky way of saying you're basically doing **** all except sitting at home watching Eastenders - but trying to sound hip and cool about it.

I actually started to try and get a mental picture of this womans friend at home assuming the official chillax position, and commencing chillaxing. :lol:

Rant over, I'm off to chillax.

BoJack Horseman

I heard a woman on the phone the other day asking her friend 'What you up to tonight? You just going to chillax?'.

Does anybody here actually chillax? What do you do to chillax? I assume it means having a quiet evening at home watching TV, therefor chillaxing is just a quirky way of saying you're basically doing **** all except sitting at home watching Eastenders - but trying to sound hip and cool about it.

I actually started to try and get a mental picture of this womans friend at home assuming the official chillax position, and commencing chillaxing. :lol:

Rant over, I'm off to chillax.

It's just a portmanteau of 'chill' and 'relax' but the word created adds nothing to definition of the former two so it's pretty much completely useless. Don't really understand it myself.

The Treasurer

People who like, say like, like, all the time are like, absolute morons who I have, like, little time for.

And I was like......

This thumbsup.gif

...a bit disco

And I was like......

Without a doubt........annoying.

Also worthy of a doing are people who are heard to say "for sure".

Lewis Hamilton ya ******. You have a lot to answer for!

Working in Lanarkshire (aka weeg overspill) this is similar to what I have to put up with every day.

There's this lass, without a word of a lie, ends every sentence with "know what a mean"

Sometimes she even manages to squeeze a few of them into one sentence.

Fekkin annoying.

Even though I've highlighted it a few times (i.e. ripped the peesh) she cares not, she's from Wishy and that's that.

I hate when young schemey birds say this

"so she wis talking to me and I was like that eh"

I was like that eh! like what! ya schemey trollop

People (seems to be mainly from the west of the weege) who add "but" to the end of every sentence.

e.g. What dae ye want but? or I'm away in fur ma tea but.

I don't want the sound of their buts in my ears :angry:

I hate when young schemey birds say this

"so she wis talking to me and I was like that eh"

I was like that eh! like what! ya schemey trollop

I used to go out with a burd from Greenock who said "I was like that" quite a lot. Absolutely hated it when I would look at her expectanty and say "Yeah? Like what?" egging her to carry on the conversation.

Massive paps though.

I've started over using the word actually,actually and it's doing me head in. :o

Actually could be worse mate.

Work with an Airdrie lass who ends alot of sentences with 'so it is' or 'so it was' etc. Can't say it bothers me though tbh!

(I end most sentences with 'eh' so can't say much! :ninja: )

Johanes de Silentio

My mate Dave speaks thusly:

"So I've turned roond tae him and said..."

"Then he's turned roond and said tae me..."

"So I've turned roond and said..."

How the **** can they hear each other?

Guest juvehearts

im fae edinburgh & i use like & eh bsically in every sentance im talking to someone

even more when im pished or talking to someone i ken dearly

doesnt make me a bad person like eh

John Gentleman

"At the end of the day....". Totally meaningless and lazy, thoughtless grammar by those who practise it.

Scousers that keep saying "yeknow" (think Jamie Carragher) even starting sentences with "ehhhhhhyeknow"

"In actual fact" Grrrr!!!!!

But the worst one is "I've got a headache" :whistling:

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

This sort of thing doesn't usually bother me really, I love listening to everyone (who is just a product of their upbrining, imo).

Then I went to see True Grit.

:what:

I was stunned at some of the dialogue. The way that 16 year old girl was speaking. :omg!: Makes you appreciate the English language.

Go and see it. :thumbsup:

'It was just a thought process'

Really? :angry:

"Really?". Now there is a tediously over-used phrase. If you get one word phrases, that is.

"I'm not trying to be funny but..." has to be my most loathed saying. I've never, ever heard it preceding anything remotely funny.

vlad on the tyne

"Really?". Now there is a tediously over-used phrase. If you get one word phrases, that is.

"I'm not trying to be funny but..." has to be my most loathed saying. I've never, ever heard it preceding anything remotely funny.

vlad on the tyne

Blue sky thinking .....WTF?

I like saying like and eh, makes me feel pure Edinburgh like eh

Barry gadjy!

People who use literally when they blatantly mean figuratively really annoys me, in fact it literally makes want to strangle them. See what I did there?

Say What Again

This one seems to be exclusive to Scottish football commentary, 'just about doing enough ......'.

'.... and Kello just about doing enough to keep it out' - when he has kept it out.

'.... and Wallace just about doing enough to get it away for a corner' - when he has put it behind for a corner.

Listen for it, it's said most weeks, yet I can't say I've ever heard it in any other walk of life.

'I just about did enough to pick up milk on the way home'

:huh:

Say What Again

People who use the word of, instead of have (or 've).

That's a pretty regular one of here.

Should of and could of

People who begin sentences with: "You know". No I don't know!

A Boy Named Crow

This mystifies me too, I have images of pirouetting neds with significant communication issues... Folk that say "an' ah wiz like that" need sorted out too!

Stupid Sexy Flanders

This sort of thing annoys me WAY more than it should, I find myself getting angry about it fairly regularly when ultimately it doesn't really matter.

Something that's been bothering me recently is the way that English people don't pronounce the letter R when they should, yet they sometimes add one in where they shouldn't! This happens when a word ends in a vowel and the following word starts with one, eg the footballer "SholerAmeobi."

Again, it doesn't matter, shouldn't anger me in the slightest, but it does!

BoJack Horseman

This sort of thing annoys me WAY more than it should, I find myself getting angry about it fairly regularly when ultimately it doesn't really matter.

Something that's been bothering me recently is the way that English people don't pronounce the letter R when they should, yet they sometimes add one in where they shouldn't! This happens when a word ends in a vowel and the following word starts with one, eg the footballer "SholerAmeobi."

The most frustrating R related English speaking thing is when they add an R to 'bought' making it 'brought'. It annoys me in text form far more than in spoken but it's annoying all the same.

This one seems to be exclusive to Scottish football commentary, 'just about doing enough ......'.

'.... and Kello just about doing enough to keep it out' - when he has kept it out.

'.... and Wallace just about doing enough to get it away for a corner' - when he has put it behind for a corner.

Listen for it, it's said most weeks, yet I can't say I've ever heard it in any other walk of life.

'I just about did enough to pick up milk on the way home'

:huh:

I just about do enough to keep wifie happy. rolleyes.gif

Speaking of football commentators, when are we going to get one who when looking at a replay of an offside decision who will actually concur with the footage and say it was indeed offside instead of "ooh... I don't know...it was close" when everyone else can see the striker was miles off.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

People who write "where" when they mean "were." I can't help but read it as "where" and it hurts my brain. "We where walking down the street."

I know someone who starts every sentence with "am no trying to be funny, but..."

Even when this person quotes something I say, they use this line as if I said it.

"out of nothing" Keep hearing it on commentary mostly when Hearts have scored " and Skacel scores and out of nothing Hearts are 1-0 up" Its not "out of nothing" It will more than likely be a defending ****** up or a decent pass, a corner, a free kick, nobody scores "out of nothing" something has always happened prior to the ball going in the back of the net, this may just be lazy commentary but it gets right on my Tits verymad.gif

jamboinglasgow

Same with me, nuts more adding an s to the end of the first name.

"out of nothing" Keep hearing it on commentary mostly when Hearts have scored " and Skacel scores and out of nothing Hearts are 1-0 up" Its not "out of nothing" It will more than likely be a defending ****** up or a decent pass, a corner, a free kick, nobody scores "out of nothing" something has always happened prior to the ball going in the back of the net, this may just be lazy commentary but it gets right on my Tits verymad.gif

Excuse-making 'gid Scottish' managers like to trot this phrase out to justify their incompetences.

'Hearts scored out of nothing', as if the other team were just standing on the pitch alone, when suddenly we appeared in a flash!

Another belter is 'Hearts scored against the run of play'.

I'm sorry, but that's impossible!

Archived