Youth Champions League

jamboinglasgow

jamboinglasgow

I have been meaning to post this for a couple of weeks ever since I first read about this. Plans are in progress among clubs to create a youth Champions league, same format as the senior champions league. It has been pushed by a number of clubs to be created including Ajax, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City and Celtic. They hope to start it from next season and I have read in one paper about how it has Arab financial backing and they feel they will get a decent tv deal. Here is a little more about it:

http://gameintelligence.co.uk/2010/11/19/the-youth-champions-league-big-ears-little-ears/

Now, they same the aim is give youngsters champions league experence which is understandable and could be a real benefit. But to me there is something really troubling to me, I have not seen anything that has said anything about it being given to the winner of each countries youth league, it looks more then likely that it is a closed shop. And if they clubs just get more experience and money every year then there is the danger of a divide opening up. Maybe I am worrying over nothing, if it was open to the winner of the SPL Under 19 league, or the English Under 18 league and so on then I would not be so worried but I haven't seen that at all. I worry youth football could go the same way as the senior sides.

fabienleclerq

Good idea, i think the bigger it gets you will see

them having to have qualifiers(under 19 league winners etc).

But for a start up it makes sense to have a small number of

teams.

Was the first senior European cup not invitational?

another case of elitism from the back hander brigade at fifa/uefa and TV companies

the winter world cup in dubai is another example, where if your not going to dubai for your summer hols in winter, you'll have to miss league games during the summer to get the usual european beach holiday with good weather and if your summer hols from work are at a set time then you ain't got any choice.

just another **** the fans, givus the TV cash and brown envelope

It will be used to benefit the same clubs who, by and large, benefit from senior European competition at present.

It will help to promote club elitism in most of the leagues in Europe.

And, for smaller clubs, if they did decide qualification on youth league performance, it will probably lead to losing the better players earlier!!!

Maybe I am worrying over nothing, if it was open to the winner of the SPL Under 19 league, or the English Under 18 league and so on then I would not be so worried but I haven't seen that at all. I worry youth football could go the same way as the senior sides.

Currently, pro-youth below U19 is non-competitive. No leagues. I do not see the SFA changing its youth development pathway. However, the winners from the SPL U19 league would be a different matter.

Charlie-Brown

I have been meaning to post this for a couple of weeks ever since I first read about this. Plans are in progress among clubs to create a youth Champions league, same format as the senior champions league. It has been pushed by a number of clubs to be created including Ajax, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City and Celtic. They hope to start it from next season and I have read in one paper about how it has Arab financial backing and they feel they will get a decent tv deal. Here is a little more about it:

http://gameintelligence.co.uk/2010/11/19/the-youth-champions-league-big-ears-little-ears/

Now, they same the aim is give youngsters champions league experence which is understandable and could be a real benefit. But to me there is something really troubling to me, I have not seen anything that has said anything about it being given to the winner of each countries youth league, it looks more then likely that it is a closed shop. And if they clubs just get more experience and money every year then there is the danger of a divide opening up. Maybe I am worrying over nothing, if it was open to the winner of the SPL Under 19 league, or the English Under 18 league and so on then I would not be so worried but I haven't seen that at all. I worry youth football could go the same way as the senior sides.

These clubs already have more money and can entice youngsters with the possibility that they one day might play Champions League - in short the divide already exists ..... anyway U18 or U19 football tournaments are not an end in themselves - the goal of youth football is to help develop future footballers and international players, tournaments like these can help but ulitmately don't mean very much - kids sign for clubs like Hearts & Hibs and other SPL teams as they see a quicker or easier route to the first team than at the 'elite' clubs where chances are far more limited - of course some kids will always dream that they are one of the lucky few and sign for the Old Firm, Man Utd, Chelsea etc.

jamboinglasgow

These clubs already have more money and can entice youngsters with the possibility that they one day might play Champions League - in short the divide already exists ..... anyway U18 or U19 football tournaments are not an end in themselves - the goal of youth football is to help develop future footballers and international players, tournaments like these can help but ulitmately don't mean very much - kids sign for clubs like Hearts & Hibs and other SPL teams as they see a quicker or easier route to the first team than at the 'elite' clubs where chances are far more limited - of course some kids will always dream that they are one of the lucky few and sign for the Old Firm, Man Utd, Chelsea etc.

Interestingly, Celtic signed a 16 year old from Airdrie utd a couple of weeks ago and he said this competition was one of the main reasons he went for Celtic.

Charlie-Brown

Interestingly, Celtic signed a 16 year old from Airdrie utd a couple of weeks ago and he said this competition was one of the main reasons he went for Celtic.

Celtic have always been a strong attraction for a lot of promising Scottish players & I think someone with a name like Anthony Quinn from Lanarkshire would probably always be Celtic-minded anyway ..... Celtic can easily take players away from SFL clubs & other SPL clubs IF the players want to go there and this has always been the case just as Hearts have signed some youngsters from the likes of Stenny, Cowdenbeath, Clyde & Livi etc. There is always a pecking order in football - what ALL clubs including Hearts have to do is make the strongest case possible why it's better for the player to stay at their club and get a move up the football ladder later on - I don't see a Youth Champions League tournament changing the competitive balance much at youth level - if players want to go to the Old Firm or English clubs then they will anyway, Hearts & others have to try to convince them Riccarton or East Mains or Tannadice etc is a better option, fundamentally nothing changes imo.

just another way for the superclubs to hoover up all the real talent even earlier by seeing them in competition. Not a fan of the idea at all.

Charlie-Brown

just another way for the superclubs to hoover up all the real talent even earlier by seeing them in competition. Not a fan of the idea at all.

The biggest clubs already see the best youth talents at international tournaments at european & world level, if anything IF clubs like Hearts or Hibs managed to qualify or enter this tournament it would raise the profile of their best young players puting them on the radar and potentially increasing their future value ..... the best players usually end up at the biggest/best clubs sooner or later anyway.

Just another idea to make the rich like Real Madrid and Barcelona richer and the poor poorer. Sign up young talent from other poorer teams for next to nothing before they break into the first team and command a transfer fee. Nothing more to be said really.

funktasticlad

I like the idea on the premise that its youth league winners that gain entry and not some closed shop for Europes heavy weights. In theory though all that would likely happen is the net of youngsters we've got to pick from would diminish as the old firm snap up all the decent talent to ensure they're in the champions league year after year. Initially it be good but after say 5 years i reckon it just end up being the same teams getting into europe much as the case at the moment

Yeah the idea of young players from Hearts or Hibs playing competitive games against Lyon, Bayern, Barca or whoever is a good idea for developing players.

However, it would only be good if it isn't a closed shop & any revenue is distributed evenly to everyteam

Takeshi's Tynecastle

On the face of it, it does sound a good idea and I'm sure it would generate a lot of interest and be good to watch.

But I get worried when they start talking about big financial backing and TV deals. If the tournament is based on money rather than player development, then that doesn't sound healthy to me, and all it will do is increase the pressure on youth players, and hype them up even more than many are just now.

So It is potentially a good idea, but in practice it could be another step towards the ruin of the game. 17 year olds will become superstars signing 100k a week contracts at the big clubs on their birthdays, and the pressure on them to fulfill their potential will be immense.

Hopefully that wouldn't be the case but it sounds like an idea fraught with dangers.

Wold love it if Hearts took part though!

On the face of it, it does sound a good idea and I'm sure it would generate a lot of interest and be good to watch.

But I get worried when they start talking about big financial backing and TV deals. If the tournament is based on money rather than player development, then that doesn't sound healthy to me, and all it will do is increase the pressure on youth players, and hype them up even more than many are just now.

So It is potentially a good idea, but in practice it could be another step towards the ruin of the game. 17 year olds will become superstars signing 100k a week contracts at the big clubs on their birthdays, and the pressure on them to fulfill their potential will be immense.

Hopefully that wouldn't be the case but it sounds like an idea fraught with dangers.

Wold love it if Hearts took part though!

Yup, we're barely 1/2 way through the 1st sentence and FINANCIAL BENEFITS pops up !

Another cash cow being reared for europe's elite :down:

What happened to young players being nurtured and not suffering 'burn out'

The biggest clubs already see the best youth talents at international tournaments at european & world level, if anything IF clubs like Hearts or Hibs managed to qualify or enter this tournament it would raise the profile of their best young players puting them on the radar and potentially increasing their future value ..... the best players usually end up at the biggest/best clubs sooner or later anyway.

I know they end up at the biggest clubs eventually. at least by that point the teams tend to get somewhere nearer their value for them. Barcelona or Real Madrid (or others) wouldn't be paying ?35-40m for players at 17 though, will they?

Archived