Edinburgh Nightclubs of Yesteryear

WavyGravy

26 minutes ago, Morgan said:

That’s not what I would have said!  I thought Flanagans was at the West Port end of Bread Street!  What am I thinking of?  Just beside the big St. Cuthberts store?

Only can think of Valentinos/Muscular arms behind St Cuths.

Met the ex wife there☹️

She fed me on tictacs which she kept in her bra, and that was me smitten like a puppy.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• merrymac

• the general

• joe.gausden

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, graygo said:

Flannagans was Bobby McGees in Rose Street Lane North.

Of course!  Bobby McGees.  Well done that man :thumb: 

1 hour ago, merrymac said:

Met the ex wife there☹️

She fed me on tictacs which she kept in her bra, and that was me smitten like a puppy.

Valentinos/Muscular Arms is exactly where I was thinking of!

Well done Merry!

1 hour ago, merrymac said:

Met the ex wife there☹️

:vrwow:  She kept Tictacs in her bra?  

Where did she store her Juicy Fruit Mac?

Wrigleys chewing gum that is :lol: 

Slightly of on a tangent here. Back in the 70s there was a pub (?) down the New Town, Stockbridge area that had a big mural on the wall of all the folks that used to drink there. I remember frequenting there hoping I’d make the wall,  nae luck though they’d run out of room. I often wondered if anyone ever took a photo of it and has it somewhere. 

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Where was Walkers Mac?  On the same side of Shandwick Place as the Grosvenor bar or on the other side?

Same side as Grosvenor, nearer west end. It's a lap dancing place now

luckyBatistuta
On 26/08/2018 at 22:42, Blue Moon said:

Outer Limits (Tollcross), Revolution (Lothian Road), Cinderella's St Stephens Street Stockbridge , Red Hot Pepper Club (Semple Street), Pipers (Lothian Road had a bad reputation so avoided) if I recall someone got stabbed here in the 80's.  Annabels (The owners daughter was murdered on the premises), Centuary 2000 {Lothian Road) The Pub (Rose Street),  Buster Browns (Market Street).

My top 3 were 

1) Cinderellas Rockerfellas

2) Outer Limits

3) Red Hot Pepper Club

If you went to Outer Limits, you must remember when the Revolution was the Amphitheatre

13 hours ago, the general said:

Fire Island was also the West End Club 

they had some amazing acts on in their time Devine etc

Divine was superb, we used to listen to music like that all the time. Remember crazy stuff like all chipping in for fuel and driving around blasting out Man 2 Man and a track called ‘Homosexuality’...can’t remember who the artist was for that one. We went to see Man 2 Man at Outer Limits and met Paul Zone outside. None of us ever thought about the gay side of the music, or any of us being perceived as gay. We just loved the music. 

On 23/07/2017 at 14:04, Morgan said:

Laughing Duck was indeed a gay pub.

Champagne Charlie's however, wasn't. In fact, we left from there in 1996 for the league cup final at Parkhead. It was a great bar in its day but unfortunately there was a large amount of Rangers fans drank in there. It's owner used to have the Illicit Still at Tollcross and there's no way he would have ran a gay bar!

Hope you weren’t the guy in Champagne Charlie’s that I was going to rip the head off.

17 hours ago, butch said:

What was the name of the pub/club on constitution street next to st Mary's 

The Kilderkin was on that stretch of Constitution Street but on the other side from St Mary’s. I think it’s a Thai restaurant now. They served draught Furstenburg, always ended up in a mess on that stuff. 

10 hours ago, Morgan said:

:vrwow:  She kept Tictacs in her bra?  

Where did she store her Juicy Fruit Mac?

Wrigleys chewing gum that is :lol: 

A gentleman never tells :smugger:

1 minute ago, the general said:

Fagans?

Think it is Kenny but I can only remember it being called Walkers but I'm younger than you

3 minutes ago, joe.gausden said:

Think it is Kenny but I can only remember it being called Walkers but I'm younger than you

Everyone is younger than me !!

11 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Hope you weren’t the guy in Champagne Charlie’s that I was going to rip the head off.

Nup, never had any bother in there Gabriel.

1. When was this potential ‘head ripping off’ night?

2. What the Hell did he do to you?

3. Your wife briefly worked in Champagnes didn’t she?

14 hours ago, Dannie Boy said:

Slightly of on a tangent here. Back in the 70s there was a pub (?) down the New Town, Stockbridge area that had a big mural on the wall of all the folks that used to drink there. I remember frequenting there hoping I’d make the wall,  nae luck though they’d run out of room. I often wondered if anyone ever took a photo of it and has it somewhere. 

Can only think of The Royal Circus or Shambles Bar?

Any help Dannie?

16 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I used to frequent Champagne Charlies back in the day, a friend of mine was a barmaid there for a while. Died way too young.  

Edited by graygo

On ‎26‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 22:42, Blue Moon said:

Outer Limits (Tollcross), Revolution (Lothian Road), Cinderella's St Stephens Street Stockbridge , Red Hot Pepper Club (Semple Street), Pipers (Lothian Road had a bad reputation so avoided) if I recall someone got stabbed here in the 80's.  Annabels (The owners daughter was murdered on the premises), Centuary 2000 {Lothian Road) The Pub (Rose Street),  Buster Browns (Market Street).

My top 3 were 

1) Cinderellas Rockerfellas

2) Outer Limits

3) Red Hot Pepper Club

Ooooft, Century 2000...Red Hot Pepper Club...Revolution...if you had just added Subway I could have shouted 'HOUSE!'

Literally, and I really don't want to understate this...the absolute dregs of the nightclub scene in Edinburgh, filled with people that had literally no taste whatsoever in music and happy to hear the same chart/cheesy dance pish every week.

Would put money on the fact that 'Cotton Eye Joe' would have been played in one of (if not all) of the above on a weekly basis.

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Which means you can tell me Mac!  :wink: 

What with all my GHS training - never!!!

15 hours ago, joe.gausden said:

Same side as Grosvenor, nearer west end. It's a lap dancing place now

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Thanks general, I was sure I was right!

5 hours ago, the general said:

Fagans?

Gentlemen having phoned a friend, I can confirm that the said place opened as Fagans and was renamed Walker in the 70,s.

So one and the same.

Cheers

Mac.

18 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Gentlemen having phoned a friend, I can confirm that the said place opened as Fagans and was renamed Walker in the 70,s.

So one and the same.

Cheers

Mac.

I was agreeing with you both ,,, Walkers used to have a U16 disco on a Saturday which was basically a Hibs baby crew gang hut 

22 minutes ago, the general said:

I was agreeing with you both ,,, Walkers used to have a U16 disco on a Saturday which was basically a Hibs baby crew gang hut 

Ok got you - hard to follow across so many views.

Walkers was not somewhere i frequented much - scared of dying in a fire?

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Can only think of The Royal Circus or Shambles Bar?

Any help Dannie?

Could well have been the Royal Circus it certainly rings a bell.

??

Edited by Dannie Boy

3 minutes ago, merrymac said:

Ok got you - hard to follow across so many views.

Walkers was not somewhere i frequented much - scared of dying in a fire?

the supporters bus used to drop us off at the Grosvenor Bar so they were usually waiting for us ... then later we would head up to Gary Mackays pub and end up scrapping up Lothian Road with the older ones who drank in the pub thats now the Hanging Bat

2 minutes ago, the general said:

the supporters bus used to drop us off at the Grosvenor Bar so they were usually waiting for us ... then later we would head up to Gary Mackays pub and end up scrapping up Lothian Road with the older ones who drank in the pub thats now the Hanging Bat

Ah the good old days:rofl:

1 hour ago, graygo said:

I used to frequent Champagne Charlies back in the day, a friend of mine was a barmaid there for a while. Died way too young.  

Three barmaids come to my mind.

There were two with an S and there wax a Z.  There was also a pair of twins behind the bar. The bar manager at the time was Willie and the owner was Dave Rankin.  Same era?

4 minutes ago, the general said:

The Burnt Post?  

Very regular haunt of mine.

1 minute ago, the general said:

yip

3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

The Burnt Post?  

Very regular haunt of mine.

Add me to that list!!

18 hours ago, Dannie Boy said:

The Wally Dug on Northumberland Street has a mural outside along the basement wall below the pavement - there was talk recently of getting it restored. Google Wall Dug mural  - not locals, a few old portraits and a landscape.

Edited by ginga

luckyBatistuta
3 hours ago, Morgan said:

Sure did, I’ve obviously told you before ? 

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Three barmaids come to my mind.

There were two with an S and there wax a Z.  There was also a pair of twins behind the bar. The bar manager at the time was Willie and the owner was Dave Rankin.  Same era?

This one was a D mate. Would have been around 1986/7.

4 hours ago, graygo said:

This one was a D mate. Would have been around 1986/7.

Slightly different era then graygo.  We drank regularly in Champagnes from around 1989 until 1994. We left from there in a mixed Rangers/Hearts bus for the League Cup Final in 1996 but came back to Edinburgh by train due to the result!

N Lincs Jambo
7 hours ago, Dannie Boy said:

Could well have been the Royal Circus it certainly rings a bell.

??

Morgan is spot on with that Dannie. Used to drink there regularly early 80s and one of my mates was a face on that wall.. great place back in the day 

What was the name of the pub/club on Lothian Road in the late 70’s/early 80’s on the same block as Dario’s? We used to call it the Libyan Embassy as load of Arab students from the various universities used to drink in there flashing large amounts of cash. 

5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

What was the name of the pub/club on Lothian Road in the late 70’s/early 80’s on the same block as Dario’s? We used to call it the Libyan Embassy as load of Arab students from the various universities used to drink in there flashing large amounts of cash. 

Lord Toms?

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Sure they went to the nautical college

• 2 years later...

I was a barmaid at Nicky Tams in 1973! I still have my tank top. Anyone else remember what a cool place it was?? Also .... remember the band East/west? Brian McEwan, Davy Swanson...

• 4 months later...
On 29/01/2011 at 14:06, southside1874 said:

Yep the Pure and Taste........fisher and price played at Millionaires before taste. Sativa was a bit industrial for me but some of the mates liked it so I had to go.

sorry to burst your bubble but fisher and price didnt play millies i was the dj at millies right up to the night it got closed down due to the hibs bobs Mark price of fisher and price did do a couple of slots standing in for me infact donth think fisher and price was together then but maybe im wrong they was involved with gordon band who is the promoter of Taste

• 7 months later...
The White Cockade

Rumours, Buster Browns and the Bandwagon were among the places i would have gone to

and Cinderella's after the speedway

and a place at St James Centre cannae mind the name

On 28/08/2018 at 08:59, the general said:

Aye, it certainly was. Went to a few Bonnyrigg High School socials there as well, way below drinking age, but the bar was always opened weirdly. 

First and last time I got scunnered with a bottle was in there. Luckily it didn't smash. Some wee prick from the YNT hit me from behind. Him and his neddy wee mates got a good stiff kicking when we met up with them waiting for a bus on North Bridge later that night...good times

• 8 months later...