Fat Burners

RoyCropper

Considering going back on my diet and thinking about using fat burners to give myself a helping hand. However, dont really know much about them and thought i would do some research and ask around before buying any or doing anything that may be dangerous.

Anyone here used them? Are they worth the helping hand they give? Are there any side effects etc? How long should they be used for?

The biggest problem i have too is which ones i would buy, there are literally thousands of different types and i dont know one type from the next. Is there anything i should look out for when looking to buy?

Any help is much appreciated.

:thumbsup:

From personal experience they are a waste of cash.

Diet and exercise is your answer.

I'm sure this was discussed more in depth in the fitness sticky thread. Check that out.

Started a similiar thread not too long ago.

Total waste of money. Didn't do anything for me. At best they give you what feels like a wee caffeine boost which might make you more motivated but ultimately its the excercise and not the pills that do the work.

Creepy Lurker

These supplements can have an impact, but the clue's in the name: they're supplements to a healthy diet and exercise programme.

If you eat healthily (there's loads of advice in the stickied fitness thread) and get a good mix of cardiovascular exercise and light resistance work, you'll burn fat. If, after a while of doing that, you then feel that you want an extra boost, that'll be the time to take fat burners.

That said, there's a guy on the fitness thread who seems to swear by the T5 things that Speedbump posted a link to.

I have lost over a stone in the past 3 months and it hasn't been aided by any sort of supplement.

I guess it remains open to debate as to whether the supplement would have boosted my progress further, but i guess what i'm getting at is that it can be done without.

The key is having a proper dinner and exercise. You must keep active and exercise. If you're not seeing immediate progress then do not worry, keep up what you're doing. It will come.:thumbsup:

I have lost over a stone in the past 3 months and it hasn't been aided by any sort of supplement.

I guess it remains open to debate as to whether the supplement would have boosted my progress further, but i guess what i'm getting at is that it can be done without.

The key is having a proper dinner and exercise. You must keep active and exercise. If you're not seeing immediate progress then do not worry, keep up what you're doing. It will come.:thumbsup:

Good work mate.

Also, my general advice would be to use weight as a rough guide but the proof is in the pudding so to speak and if you feel or see a bit of weight coming off then that is the important thing.

It is likely, SNTH that you have probably made even more progress than you think but you have put on a wee bit of muscle due to all your exercising and muscle weighs heavier than fat. thumbsup.gif

I was at the gym today and it is good to be back, have given it a rest for a month or so and I think the rest has done me good in terms of hitting the weights again as I am not as lean.

Good work mate.

Also, my general advice would be to use weight as a rough guide but the proof is in the pudding so to speak and if you feel or see a bit of weight coming off then that is the important thing.

It is likely, SNTH that you have probably made even more progress than you think but you have put on a wee bit of muscle due to all your exercising and muscle weighs heavier than fat. thumbsup.gif

I was at the gym today and it is good to be back, have given it a rest for a month or so and I think the rest has done me good in terms of hitting the weights again as I am not as lean.

Cheers mate.

To be fair, i have the ''gym bug'', and i'm there everyday after work without fail, with the exception of a day or so here or there.

My actual eating habits remain similar, apart from i have cut out crisps and chocolate and drink diet juice.

Weights has been something i haven't got the bug for, more the cardio stuff. Need to get a programme together on that side of things. I have achieved a lot based on cardio alone, but just do not know where to start on the weights. Is it generally less repititions on heavier weights or more on smaller weights?

Cheers mate.

To be fair, i have the ''gym bug'', and i'm there everyday after work without fail, with the exception of a day or so here or there.

My actual eating habits remain similar, apart from i have cut out crisps and chocolate and drink diet juice.

Weights has been something i haven't got the bug for, more the cardio stuff. Need to get a programme together on that side of things. I have achieved a lot based on cardio alone, but just do not know where to start on the weights. Is it generally less repititions on heavier weights or more on smaller weights?

Creepy Lurker should be able to help you out here as he is clued up on this.

I think he would agree that if you are looking to put on muscle then you should be doing heavier weights + less repetitions + more sets.

If you are looking to "tone up" (which is probably ideal and more relevant for what your after) then you should be doing a little less heavy weights + more repetitions + less sets.

While this is the general rule every month you could do a week where you mix it up, just so you don't hit a plateau (which is what i'm gulity of).

Here is a little training programme which I think will work well for you, try this at the gym for the next 4 weeks and tell me what you think.

These are simple exercises so you can get stuck in there but also some of the most effective.

ROUGH TRAINING PROGRAMME

Pull ups - you will probably have to start with the assisted machine. Do 8 pull ups / 3-4 sets at a weight where the last set you have to really push out.

Bench press - Most people start out benching about 45kg but again do 10-12 reps of 3-4 sets. Doesn't have to be 45kg but as long as you have to push out the last set then that is all good.

Squats - Do Squats with one of the 20kg barbells. Don't put any weights on them. Just concentrate on form. 10 reps of 3 sets. Don't worry if you look like a tool, lots of fit people at the gym do squats only with the bar, the educated people at the gym will know it all depends on what stage of your work out you are at.

Weighted sit ups - Do 10-12 sit ups of 3 sets. Grab a weight plate or medicine ball and get a feel for what weight you are going to need. As long as you are struggling in the second half of the last set then that is a good judge.

Barbell curls - Do 10 barbell curls of 3 sets. Between 15 and 20kg is a good starting point I think again as long as you are pushing out the last few.

Hammer curls with dumbells - Same again with 10kg dumbells. (a link to clarify what these are - http://www.maxfitmag...hammer_curl.jpg)

Skullcrushers - 10 reps of 3 sets at a weight your comfortable with (http://www.myfit.ca/...ullcrushers.gif) (http://www.greatweig...llCrushers1.jpg)

Try that about 2/3 times a week to supplement your cardio.

That will work your whole upper body in one session and shouldn't take longer than 30 mins. I am nae good with the lower body so someone else can help you there but try that in different orders when your at the gym for a month or two and see if you notice a difference. Notice that none of these exercises uses the machines that you get in the gym but they are relatively simple to do if a bit daunting at first.

I think you will pick up the bug for this too and you will be even more motivated now that you are not just doing cardio every day.

Edited by scott_jambo

While I said benching 45kg would be a good, I just wanted to help you have a number in your head when you approached the bench. It all depends on what stage of your workout you are on and if you had been doing loads before then you might not be able to bench as much.

Remember the barbell usually weighs 20kg so put 10kg plates on each side and see how that is for you.

pinch your shoulders keep a flat back, look up and bring it to your sternum - chest. Just below the nipples is good form, not at the neck or head.

Creepy Lurker should be able to help you out here as he is clued up on this.

I think he would agree that if you are looking to put on muscle then you should be doing heavier weights + less repetitions + more sets.

If you are looking to "tone up" (which is probably ideal and more relevant for what your after) then you should be doing a little less heavy weights + more repetitions + less sets.

While this is the general rule every month you could do a week where you mix it up, just so you don't hit a plateau (which is what i'm gulity of).

Here is a little training programme which I think will work well for you, try this at the gym for the next 4 weeks and tell me what you think.

These are simple exercises so you can get stuck in there but also some of the most effective.

ROUGH TRAINING PROGRAMME

Pull ups - you will probably have to start with the assisted machine. Do 8 pull ups / 3-4 sets at a weight where the last set you have to really push out.

Bench press - Most people start out benching about 45kg but again do 10-12 reps of 3-4 sets. Doesn't have to be 45kg but as long as you have to push out the last set then that is all good.

Squats - Do Squats with one of the 20kg barbells. Don't put any weights on them. Just concentrate on form. 10 reps of 3 sets. Don't worry if you look like a tool, lots of fit people at the gym do squats only with the bar, the educated people at the gym will know it all depends on what stage of your work out you are at.

Weighted sit ups - Do 10-12 sit ups of 3 sets. Grab a weight plate or medicine ball and get a feel for what weight you are going to need. As long as you are struggling in the second half of the last set then that is a good judge.

Barbell curls - Do 10 barbell curls of 3 sets. Between 15 and 20kg is a good starting point I think again as long as you are pushing out the last few.

Hammer curls with dumbells - Same again with 10kg dumbells. (a link to clarify what these are - http://www.maxfitmag...hammer_curl.jpg)

Skullcrushers - 10 reps of 3 sets at a weight your comfortable with (http://www.myfit.ca/...ullcrushers.gif) (http://www.greatweig...llCrushers1.jpg)

Try that about 2/3 times a week to supplement your cardio.

That will work your whole upper body in one session and shouldn't take longer than 30 mins. I am nae good with the lower body so someone else can help you there but try that in different orders when your at the gym for a month or two and see if you notice a difference. Notice that none of these exercises uses the machines that you get in the gym but they are relatively simple to do if a bit daunting at first.

I think you will pick up the bug for this too and you will be even more motivated now that you are not just doing cardio every day.

Thanks for that, mate. Appreciate it.

I'll have a look at the thread aswell and see what folk are saying there.

I happen to sit with Creepy Lurker (Fraser) at Tynie and i'll run it by him aswell.

Cheers!

Creepy Lurker

Quite like the look of what Scott's said as a full-body workout, good mix of compound and isolation exercises. There are a couple of changes that I'd make (basically, different core move and less isolation on the biceps), but that's down to personal preference as much as anything. As far as sets and reps go, a rough guide would be:

6-8 reps = strength increase

10-12 reps = optimal muscle growth / fat burn

12-14 reps = increased stamina

As Scott says, 3-4 sets in the 10-12 range would probably be best for you on most lifts. You'll probably have to go lower with the chin ups as most people start out in the 6-8 range (I'm still not great at them, in all honesty, and I've been doing them for ages).

If you want any advice on nutrition, I'll be happy to give it to you. The same goes for gymwork, but if you're checking out the fitness thread anyway then there are other people on there who're just as good or better than I am with that side of things (not that I'm bad, it's just that nutrition's more my strong point).

• 9 years later...

Hi JKB,

Despite my own comment on this very thread im now at the point where im not looking for miracles but do want to try a fat burner for extra boost.

Trying to do my research and im thinking one with Alli (orlistat), which slows/stops fat absorption and something to boost the metabolism.

Anyone actually recommend a brand to try as a supplement? Or one to defo avoid. Cheers

1874robbo
9 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

Hi JKB,

Despite my own comment on this very thread im now at the point where im not looking for miracles but do want to try a fat burner for extra boost.

Trying to do my research and im thinking one with Alli (orlistat), which slows/stops fat absorption and something to boost the metabolism.

Anyone actually recommend a brand to try as a supplement? Or one to defo avoid. Cheers

Take your own advice on the topic and avoid.

1 minute ago, 1874robbo said:

Take your own advice on the topic and avoid.

I appreciate nothing is going to work miracles but as you can see from date my weight has yo-yo'd for years. Back then i was putting in serious graft to get fit.

I'm getting back to that now but results are slower (admit im older now but only early 30s) im just looking for a wee boost to help me kick on. hopefully there is something out there that can offer that. 

1874robbo
Just now, Alan_R said:

I appreciate nothing is going to work miracles but as you can see from date my weight has yo-yo'd for years. Back then i was putting in serious graft to get fit.

I'm getting back to that now but results are slower (admit im older now but only early 30s) im just looking for a wee boost to help me kick on. hopefully there is something out there that can offer that. 

No worries mate, I’m late 40’s and just go out and pound the streets.

if able to that’s the advice I’d give.

get out there jogging and you’ll see the results.

KyleLafferty

There’s no miracle tablet can even boost mate. Calorie deficit and working out. Be consistent and trust the process.

Just now, 1874robbo said:

No worries mate, I’m late 40’s and just go out and pound the streets.

if able to that’s the advice I’d give.

get out there jogging and you’ll see the results.

aye totally agree. im clocking up the miles already so hopefully results will come. just impatient.

AlimOzturk
7 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

Keto diet has been a miracle for me mate. I have lost more fat and weight during lock down than i have ever done. Most of the weight has come of the belly area as well.

Hard to start off with but once you get into over the initial  "carb flu" stage watch your energy levels go through the roof.

Edit to add i have been clocking the miles in as well. 30-40 miles a week. Hoping to up the to 45 - 50 miles in the coming weeks.

Edited by AlimOzturk

AlimOzturk

FWIW you do not have to keep "active" to lose weight. It certainly helps but if you keep a calorie deficit in the long run you will lose weight no matter what.

People need educate themselves. If i was to run and burn a thousand calories but then eat 6 thousand calories worth of food i would gain weight. Thats just facts.

Edited by AlimOzturk

1874robbo
12 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

aye totally agree. im clocking up the miles already so hopefully results will come. just impatient.

Good luck mate, it will take time but I can guarantee you if you keep it up and up your distances you’ll see the results 100%

6 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Keto diet has been a miracle for me mate. I have lost more fat and weight during lock down than i have ever done. Most of the weight has come of the belly area as well.

Hard to start off with but once you get into over the initial  "carb flu" stage watch your energy levels go through the roof.

Edit to add i have been clocking the miles in as well. 30-40 miles a week. Hoping to up the to 45 - 50 miles in the coming weeks.

Tried keto. limited success. not sustainable for me. i eat pretty decent. But right now i am being more conscious/even healthier. but Love a baked tattie and tuna etc.

Downsides of keto (for me personally) the keto breath, the hangovers the occasional time i did drink, one slip up can really set you back, you really need to commit to a forever change (tried to ease off it and found weight rapidly piled back on)

So now that im back at the fitness im just trying to eat generally sensible.

Keto defo works if you commit to stick to it can have success. my mate lost a few stone. I dont think its for me though. Although i read up on electrolytes etc the thought of potential hair loss gave me the fear haha!

I took a lot of good information from it though regarding healthy fats etc.

AlimOzturk
19 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

Tried keto. limited success. not sustainable for me. i eat pretty decent. But right now i am being more conscious/even healthier. but Love a baked tattie and tuna etc.

Downsides of keto (for me personally) the keto breath, the hangovers the occasional time i did drink, one slip up can really set you back, you really need to commit to a forever change (tried to ease off it and found weight rapidly piled back on)

Keto defo works if you commit to stick to it can have success. my mate lost a few stone. I dont think its for me though. Although i read up on electrolytes etc the thought of potential hair loss gave me the fear haha!

Doubt it will be a forever thing for me. My hope is once i am down to my goal weight ill switch back to a calorie controlled diet and maintain my weight that way. If i am still running the miles and tracking calories and dont go on some sort of mad carb binge afterwards i am assuming the switch should be smooth enough.

Could be wrong though though as once things are back to normal it could go tits up haha

keep going man. If your plugging the miles and calorie counting properly the fat will fall off.

Edited by AlimOzturk

15 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

If you've struggled with keto and don't like the side effects, try doing it for a couple of days at a time. That should give you some of the benefits but few of the downsides, and will help keep your glucose metabolism in good shape for when you're not on keto. I'd save my money on the supplements though, or donate it to FOH!

Ehllhayapeh
On 03/01/2011 at 07:31, Ragnar said:

Forget Fat Burners, just get on a diet and start doing cardio.

There's a thread about fitness at the top with tonnes of advice.

Fitness is made in the Gym

Weight is made in the Kitchen

Ive followed two very different diet plans both have been a success as my weight continues south in the way I hope.

1. Juice Fast. I watched Fat Sick and Nearly Dead and then took a 28 day Juice fast losing 22kg in the process. I didnt put it back on as it reset my body and I ended up for a number of months only on a plant food diet after.

2. Intermittent Fasting. I tried this along with regular Gym on an empty stomach with a protein shake after and a 6 hour daily window to eat, usually grilled food such as salmon and portobello mushroom.

Both work. The problem is that once I try a chocolate or a donut or generally anything unhealthy Im then wanting more. I wouldnt call it an addiction but I would say my pull to high sugar stuff is strong.

Anyway, its a calories game. You burn more than you take in, you lose weight. You take in more than you burn, you gain weight.

The Gym, particularly cardio, helps with fitness but the truth is its the kitchen that decides your weight.

2 hours ago, KyleLafferty said:

There’s no miracle tablet can even boost mate. Calorie deficit and working out. Be consistent and trust the process.

Fat burners if used right can boost your metabolism. So not sure what you mean here?

8 minutes ago, sadj said:

Fat burners if used right can boost your metabolism. So not sure what you mean here?

Any brand/type youd say were worth a look?

You were already helpful on fitness thread. Cheers

Edited by Alan_R

KyleLafferty
2 hours ago, sadj said:

Mean this in the nicest possible way but can you link any articles? 

4 hours ago, KyleLafferty said:

DNP works and works very well. But you'd also have to be a ******* idiot to use them, as many folk have discovered shortly before dying. And there's other stuff that's pretty effective but similarly dangerous or not legal.

Mass marketed 'Fatburners' are generally not that great. The thermogenic/metabolism boost they generate is so minimal it makes very little real world difference unfortunately. But something with a decent stimulant effect can help reduce appetite so I wouldn't say they are entirely useless

Ainsley Harriott
On 03/01/2011 at 05:04, RoyCropper said:

Considering going back on my diet and thinking about using fat burners to give myself a helping hand. However, dont really know much about them and thought i would do some research and ask around before buying any or doing anything that may be dangerous.

Anyone here used them? Are they worth the helping hand they give? Are there any side effects etc? How long should they be used for?

The biggest problem i have too is which ones i would buy, there are literally thousands of different types and i dont know one type from the next. Is there anything i should look out for when looking to buy?

Any help is much appreciated.

:thumbsup:

Tried them once spent 12 hours on the bog. Basically lost wait as I couldn't leave the toilet to eat. Take with caution.

9 hours ago, RS86 said:

DNP works and works very well. But you'd also have to be a ******* idiot to use them, as many folk have discovered shortly before dying. And there's other stuff that's pretty effective but similarly dangerous or not legal.

Mass marketed 'Fatburners' are generally not that great. The thermogenic/metabolism boost they generate is so minimal it makes very little real world difference unfortunately. But something with a decent stimulant effect can help reduce appetite so I wouldn't say they are entirely useless

Exactly. I wouldn't ever recommend anyone putting things into their body, that's a personal choice.

I have used CNP fat burners in the past (When I started lifting) they did a job, along with my diet, black coffee and DY noxpump. But I was constantly on edge because of the amount of caffeine and green tea in my system. God I need to get back training. Big fat slob, atm  🎅 

The only real fat burner is high intensity progressive weight training and a high protein diet(If your health allows it) It'll burn the flab right off your body.(21st of flab to 16st of muscle) with Cardio for fitness. Chemical enhancements are for the impatient.

Get some will power and change your shopping from shite to might and buy water instead of bevvy,. Even just for one weekend or the week.. Do it once you'll do it again and again. #Tunnelvision.

Edited by ri Alban

12 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Exactly. I wouldn't ever recommend anyone putting things into their body, that's a personal choice.

I have used CNP fat burners in the past (When I started lifting) they did a job, along with my diet, black coffee and DY noxpump. But I was constantly on edge because of the amount of caffeine and green tea in my system. God I need to get back training. Big fat slob, atm  🎅 

The only real fat burner is high intensity progressive weight training and a high protein diet(If your health allows it) It'll burn the flab right off your body.(21st of flab to 16st of muscle) with Cardio for fitness. Chemical enhancements are for the impatient.

Get some will power and change your shopping from shite to might and buy water instead of bevvy,. Even just for one weekend or the week.. Do it once you'll do it again and again. #Tunnelvision.

Noxpump 🤢🤮🤮 

4 minutes ago, sadj said:

Noxpump 🤢🤮🤮 

Now it is, back then it was absolutely brilliant. One half of a sachet was go to the moon Juice. :rolleyes4:

tokyowalnut
On 04/05/2020 at 17:46, Alan_R said:

Any brand/type youd say were worth a look?

You were already helpful on fitness thread. Cheers

Fat Burning supplements won't be of any benefit, your just burning  hole in your wallet. 

If it is weight you want to lose then counting calories is a simple starting point. Download My Fitness Pal, track everything you eat for a week, see how many calories you are consuming and take it from there. If you put weight on that week, aim to consume around 20% less the following week. If your weight didnt budge, take it down 10%. It sounds really boring, but it is the basics. Until you know what you are consuming you will (likely) not see much of a difference! 

Boring advice, I know. But not many miracle cures out there despite what Holland and Barrett want to sell you! 

37 minutes ago, tokyowalnut said:

Fat Burning supplements won't be of any benefit, your just burning  hole in your wallet. 

If it is weight you want to lose then counting calories is a simple starting point. Download My Fitness Pal, track everything you eat for a week, see how many calories you are consuming and take it from there. If you put weight on that week, aim to consume around 20% less the following week. If your weight didnt budge, take it down 10%. It sounds really boring, but it is the basics. Until you know what you are consuming you will (likely) not see much of a difference! 

Boring advice, I know. But not many miracle cures out there despite what Holland and Barrett want to sell you! 

Cheers. Ive already been on the fitness thread. Been doing my fitness pal for past week and coming in below calories.

Trying to keep active, past days 

-10km run,

-30km bike ride,

-weights workout + 4km hill run

-Simple weights workout then rest day

-35km bike then went walk/geo cache hunt with kids (ended up climbing an actual rock and then running to catch up with family round other side looking for the damn thing.) So more effort than anticipated.

Im verging on over doing it but will do a short easy run tomorrow, legs permitting

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Now it is, back then it was absolutely brilliant. One half of a sachet was go to the moon Juice. :rolleyes4:

The lemon n lime one about 8years ago was awful tasting but lije you say fun , just enough you were flying. Too much n you were lying on the floor begging someone to end it for you 😂

17 minutes ago, sadj said:

The lemon n lime one about 8years ago was awful tasting but lije you say fun , just enough you were flying. Too much n you were lying on the floor begging someone to end it for you 😂

Punch I think was the flavour.

• 2 months later...