NFL. Play-Offs Looming (2010 New Thread)

Tom Heaney

OK guys, On FJ's "instructions" :rolleyes: here is the 2010/2011 play-offs new thread. Lets get rolling with our thoughts for the business end of the season

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sterling Archer

Predicted Division winners: Yahoo Playoff Scenario Generator

AFC:

Pats

Colts

Steelers

Chargers

NFC:

Falcons

Packers

Giants

Rams

Wildcards:

Ravens

Jets

Eagles

Saints.

Superbowl Pick: Giants over Patswhistling.gif (I don't know about this yet, too many good teams at the moment)

Geoff Kilpatrick

Play-offs:

AFC

1 Patriots (AFC East)

2 Steelers (AFC North)

3 Chargers (AFC West)

4 Colts (AFC South)

I still think the Chargers and Colts have what it takes to pip KC and Jacksonville

5 Ravens

6 Jets

Ravens own the tie-breaker with the Jets

NFC

1 Falcons (NFC South)

2 Eagles (NFC East)

3 Packers (NFC North)

4 Seahawks (NFC West)

It is embarrassing that an NFC West team gets in here

5 Saints

6 Bears

The G-Men miss out :)

AFC Wildcards

Jets defeat Chargers

Ravens lose to Colts

NFC Wildcards

Bears lose to Packers

Saints defeat Seahawks

AFC Divisional

Jets lose to Patriots

Colts defeat Steelers

NFC Divisional

Saints lose to Falcons

Packers defeat Eagles

AFC Championship

Colts lose to Patriots

NFC Championship

Packers defeat Falcons

Superbowl

Patriots defeat Packers

AFC

1st Seed New England

2nd Seed Pittsburgh

3rd Seed Kansas

4th Seed Jacksonville

5th Seed Baltimore

6th Seed New York Jests

Jests Over Kansas

Baltimore Over Jacksonville

New England Over Jests

Baltimore Over Pittsburgh

New England Over Baltimore

AFC Champs New England

-------------------------------------------

NFC

1st Seed Atlanta

2nd Seed Philadelphia

3rd Seed Green Bay

4th Seed St Louis

5th Seed New Orleans

6th Seed New York Giants

Green Bay Over New York Giants

St Louis Over New Orleans

Atlanta Over St Louis

Philadelphia Over Green Bay

Philadelphia Over Atlanta

NFC Champs Philadelphia

Will leave my Superbowl prediction till I see how wrong I get the rest of my guesses but you all know what it would be anyway :santa4:

Well well well, That was quite a crushing the Bears and their highly ranked defense took from Tom Brady and Deion Branch yesterday. Green Bay must be thankful that we did what we did as they were rank rotten against Detroit. 5th straight win for The Pats, play-offs assured now we must try secure home field throughout the play-offs (or as long as we last).

Still have me doubts about the lack of a real running game for The Pats but will take what we get with the way we are for now

Geoff Kilpatrick

Well well well, That was quite a crushing the Bears and their highly ranked defense took from Tom Brady and Deion Branch yesterday. Green Bay must be thankful that we did what we did as they were rank rotten against Detroit. 5th straight win for The Pats, play-offs assured now we must try secure home field throughout the play-offs (or as long as we last).

Still have me doubts about the lack of a real running game for The Pats but will take what we get with the way we are for now

Sure about that Tom? Law Firm could easily reach 1,000 yards for the season now.

BTW, Pats only need to win 2 out of 3 to not only win the AFC East but guarantee home field advantage. In addition, Rodgers may miss next week's game! thumbsup.gif

Sterling Archer

Law firm and woodhead with Taylor coming back will do.

Got to say I'm excited about the prospect of Vick returning to Atlanta for an NFC championship game

Sure about that Tom? Law Firm could easily reach 1,000 yards for the season now.

BTW, Pats only need to win 2 out of 3 to not only win the AFC East but guarantee home field advantage. In addition, Rodgers may miss next week's game! thumbsup.gif

I'm 100% sure Geoff. We cannot be 1 dimensional and rely on him. His numbers have only gotten real good in recent weeks (aside from 1 game at 100+) Hopefully he keeps up this form. As for 1,000 yards ? He will need 70 plus in each of the last 3 games to do that and that could be tight. Definitley not easily as you suggest

Well, The Green Gay Slackers certainly gave it a go and Flynn gave them every chance to win right up until his lack of experience showed with 23 secs to go. Just goes to prove that old saying "Any Given Sunday" just not that Sunday for Flynn and the Cheeseheads.

Hey Geoff, thought that Green-Ellis was gonna coast to that 70 yard average I spoke about, especially after that 33 yard opener for him, shame that he only added a further 5 yards. Tough for him to get that 1000 now but it is The Bills and The Dolphins we have the next 2 weeeks so who knows.

Great comeback from The Eagles yesterday and The Jets are hanging in there for the wild card but they have a tough road game next week at The Bears but yesterdays result was a reminder that they are very capable so the next 2 weeks should be interesting on a lot of fronts.

Having just used http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=custom&13=45010555&14=54504044&15=00441554&16=05000014

AFC:

1st Seed : Patriots (unsurprisingly)

2nd Seed : Steelers

Wildcards

Jets @ Chiefs - Although the Chiefs are at home, have to go with the Jets

Ravens @ Colts - Home advantage for Manning, I'll go with the Colts

Not all that sure how the Divisional's work, I imagine it's lowest seed against the Patriots (?) which would be

Jets @ Patriots - After the humbling they received last time they met the Pats can only see one winner. Patriots

Colts @ Steelers - Tough choice but with home advantage I'd go with Steelers.

Conference

Steelers @ Patriots - Patriots to win.

NFC

1st seed - Falcons

2nd seed - Eagles

Wildcards

Buccaneers @ Bears - Bears to win, playing in Chicago in January will be tough for anyone.

Giants @ Seattle - Easy win for the Giants, think whoever ends up 5th seeds is in for an easy match in all honesty as the NFC West is horrendously bad.

Divisionals

Giants @ Falcons - Tough one here, Falcons at home but think the Giants could be too good for them defensively. Giants to win.

Bears @ Eagles - Tough one again, think anyone could win the NFC in all honesty. Think I'll go with home team, Eagles to win.

Conference

Giants @ Eagles - After the last second defeat last night, don't think the Giants will want a repeat. Giants to win.

Superbowl

Giants v Patriots - Patriots for me :thumbsup:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=custom&14=41545000&15=00040514&16=44004014

AFC

1. Patriots

2. Steelers

3. Chiefs

4. Colts

5. Ravens

6. Jets

NFC

1. Falcons

2. Eagles

3. Bears

4. Seahawks

5. Saints

6. Packers

Wilcard

Jets @ Chiefs - Jets win

Ravens @ Colts - Ravens win

Packers @ Bears - Packers win

Saints @ Seahawks - Saints win

Divisional

Jets @ Patriots - Patriots win

Ravens @ Steelers - Ravens win

Packers @ Falcons - Falcons win

Saints @ Eagles - Eagles win

Championship

Ravens @ Patriots - Ravens win

Eagles @ Falcons - Falcons win

Superbowl

Ravens v Falcons - Ravens win

Have the Ravens doing what Pittsburgh did 5 years ago and winning every game on the road.

NE Patriots 13/5

ATL Falcons 5/1

PHL Eagles 6/1

PIT Steelers 17/2

NO Saints 12/1

BAL Ravens 12/1

SD Chargers 14/1

IND Colts 18/1

NY Jets 18/1

NY Giants 25/1

CHI Bears 25/1

GB Packers 28/1

KC Chiefs 40/1

JAX Jaguars 125/1

STL Rams 150/1

SF 49ers 150/1

SEA Seahawks 150/1

OAK Raiders 200/1

TB Buccaneers 250/1

Considering they could still win the division I really like the look of the Ravens to back this year. Probably also stick a ?1 each on the Packers and Giants.

Also considering a 14/1 double on this year's final being the "Nutter QB" bowl between the Eagles and the Steelers.

Chargers at 14 is ridiculous. If they make it in they've got a great chance.

It's a big if. I don't think they'll make it, Chiefs being at home in their last 2 games will see them through I think.

Sterling Archer

It's a big if. I don't think they'll make it, Chiefs being at home in their last 2 games will see them through I think.

Chargers only need to beat Chiefs. Not a huge ask. Especially with Jackson back.

Chargers only need to beat Chiefs. Not a huge ask. Especially with Jackson back.

Very true, I see Chargers winning their games easy tbh. Just think home advantage for the Chiefs in their last 2 games will see them through.

But like you say, one slip up puts the Chargers in and then they'll be a serious threat.

Very true, I see Chargers winning their games easy tbh. Just think home advantage for the Chiefs in their last 2 games will see them through.

But like you say, one slip up puts the Chargers in and then they'll be a serious threat.

Chargers (and their fans) have been telling us for a wee while now that they are a serious threat, and they do tend to be, that is until they get to the play-offs and play someone who really is a serious threat and with Norv Turner in charge methinks it will remain that way. In short....They Suck :smiliz64:

Chargers at 14 is ridiculous. If they make it in they've got a great chance.

I disagree. They've been great the last few years heading into the playoffs but always seem to blow it.

Due to their terrible start and the amount of mistakes they make, I don't see this season being any different.

Sterling Archer

I disagree. They've been great the last few years heading into the playoffs but always seem to blow it.

Due to their terrible start and the amount of mistakes they make, I don't see this season being any different.

They've not been as good this year which surely means they'll win the superbowl! :D the truth is there's about 8 teams that you wouldn't be shocked if they made it to the superbowl.

FI, and none more so than this game, :whistling:

AFC: New England Patriots 24, San Diego Chargers 21

In the final game of the divisional playoffs, the New England Patriots faced the San Diego Chargers team, who were unbeaten at home in the regular season. The Chargers' roster included league MVP running back LaDainian Tomlinson, who broke several league records, nine Pro Bowlers, and five All-Pro players. However, four Chargers turnovers, three of which were converted into Patriots scoring drives, helped lead to a Chargers loss. San Diego lost despite outgaining the Patriots in rushing yards, 148-51 and total yards, 352-327, while also intercepting three passes from Tom Brady.

In the first quarter, after San Diego coach Marty Schottenheimer opted to go for it on 4th-and-11 instead of attempting a 47-yard field goal, quarterback Philip Rivers lost a fumble while being sacked by Mike Vrabel, setting up Stephen Gostkowski's 51-yard field goal with 40 seconds left in the period. In the second quarter, Chargers receiver Eric Parker's 13-yard punt return set up a 48-yard scoring drive that ended with LaDainian Tomlinson's 2-yard touchdown run, giving his team a 7-3 lead. Then, on the Patriots' next drive, linebacker Donnie Edwards intercepted a pass from Brady and returned it to the 41-yard line. But the Chargers ended up punting after Rivers was sacked on third down by defensive back Artrell Hawkins. Later in the quarter, Tomlinson rushed twice for 13 yards and took a screen pass 58 yards to the Patriots' 6-yard line, setting up a 6-yard touchdown run by Michael Turner with 2:04 left in the half. New England responded with a 72-yard scoring drive, with receiver Jabar Gaffney catching four passes for 46 yards, including a 7-yard touchdown reception with six seconds left in the half, cutting their deficit to 14-10.

In the second half, Brady threw his second interception of the game. But once again, the Chargers were forced to punt after Rivers was sacked on third down. Mike Scifres' 36-yard punt pinned New England back at their own 2-yard line, and San Diego subsequently forced a punt, but Parker muffed the kick and New England's David Thomas recovered the fumble at the Chargers' 31-yard line. New England's drive seemed to stall after Brady fumbled on 3rd and 13. Patriots' tackle Matt Light recovered it and Chargers defensive back Drayton Florence drew a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for taunting Patriots tight end Daniel Graham. The drive continued and Gostkowski eventually kicked a 34-yard field goal to cut their deficit to 14-13. Then, on San Diego's next drive, linebacker Rosevelt Colvin intercepted a pass from Rivers at the New England 36-yard line. The Patriots then drove to the Chargers 41-yard line, but were halted there and had to punt. After the punt, Rivers completed two passes to tight end Antonio Gates for 31 yards and a 31-yard pass to Vincent Jackson, setting up Tomlinson's second rushing touchdown to give the Chargers an 8-point lead, 21-13.

New England responded by driving to San Diego's 41-yard line. On a fourth-down conversion attempt, Brady's pass was intercepted by Marlon McCree, but Troy Brown stripped the ball, and receiver Reche Caldwell recovered it. Schottenheimer unsuccessfully challenged the play and lost a timeout. Four plays later, Brady threw a 4-yard touchdown pass to Caldwell. On the next play, running back Kevin Faulk took a direct snap and scored the two-point conversion, tying the game. Then, after forcing a punt, Brady completed a 19-yard pass to Daniel Graham. Two plays later, Caldwell caught a 49-yard strike down the right sideline to set up Gostkowski's third field goal to give them a 24-21 lead with only 1:10 left in the fourth quarter. With no timeouts left, San Diego drove to the Patriots 36-yard line on their final possession, but Nate Kaeding's 54-yard field goal attempt fell short with three seconds remaining in the game.

Chargers (and their fans) have been telling us for a wee while now that they are a serious threat, and they do tend to be, that is until they get to the play-offs and play someone who really is a serious threat and with Norv Turner in charge methinks it will remain that way. In short....They Suck :smiliz64:

History would suggest that but you just never know with the Chargers.

14/1 seems a fair price IMO when you take everything into account.

They've not been as good this year which surely means they'll win the superbowl! :D the truth is there's about 8 teams that you wouldn't be shocked if they made it to the superbowl.

Good call for a debate Uncle, Who would the 8 be in your opinion?

History would suggest that but you just never know with the Chargers.

14/1 seems a fair price IMO when you take everything into account.

Ross, History would suggest that we stick with history, just like we do with The Wee Team and the Scottish Cup :whistling:

Sterling Archer

If I had to stake money on two it'd be the pats and falcons.

Realistically I can see

Eagles

Packers

Steelers

Jets

Ravens

Colts

Chargers

Saints

Ross, History would suggest that we stick with history, just like we do with The Wee Team and the Scottish Cup :whistling:

:lol: Excellent point.

Not meaning to interject in the debate but thought I'd give my 2 cents worth on this.

Think there's only really 3 in the AFC who could win it - Patriots, Ravens and Steelers.

The NFC is where it could be 1 from 5 or 6 IMO - Bears, Eagles, Falcons, Giants and maybe even the Saints (if they make it). Too close to call IMO.

Still think the Patriots will win it but it's definitely one of the most competitive run ins that I've seen since I started watching the NFL.

If I had to stake money on two it'd be the pats and falcons.

Realistically I can see

Eagles

Packers

Steelers

Jets

Ravens

Colts

Chargers

Saints

Interesting, My take would be closer to what Ross has gone for with The Pats, Ravens and Steelers from the AFC and perhaps The Falcons, Eagles and Giants from the NFC.

Just cant take The Packers, Jests and Chargers seriously enough right now to think they will even get close. Now watch one of those 3 go win it but god forbid please dont let it be Blowbag Ryan and The Jests

Although not really pertinent to who's going to win the whole shebang, I cannot believe that my 49ers still have a chance of winning the LOLWest with a max 7-9 record and getting into the playoffs for the first time since 2002.

Think I said on another thread, I can't see past an Eagles-Patriots Superbowl.

Anyway, never mind that...this made me laugh? All over the news over here.

Toe job

Think I said on another thread, I can't see past an Eagles-Patriots Superbowl.

Anyway, never mind that...this made me laugh? All over the news over here.

Toe job

The man is a prize pleb

J.T.F.Robertson

Patriots look a class apart, to be honest :( Still, it only takes one well orchestrated "unnecessary roughness" penalty perpetrated on a certain person, to scupper their chances.

Heaven forbid, I hasten to add. :peepwall:

Pats are the team to beat for sure, and from the NFC I have a sneaky wee feeling about the Giants this year. Either way I don't think it matters who the Pats face in the Superbowl, they are going home with the sweeties.

If you don't like it. Don't post.

FJ, was that Xmas polite for "Go Feck Yerself" :whistling:

Evidently he does care otherwise why would he open the thread up in the first place, either that or he is just plain stoopid, could be a tough call :whistling:

Patriots look a class apart, to be honest :( Still, it only takes one well orchestrated "unnecessary roughness" penalty perpetrated on a certain person, to scupper their chances.

Heaven forbid, I hasten to add. :peepwall:

To be quite honest Mr Robertson I think your looking for a good hard dunt in the puss he he he he

Anyway, how the devil are you ?

The Jets have learnt their lesson for the season and will come through the play offs to take the AFC title -- Superbowl here we come. :santa1:

FJ, was that Xmas polite for "Go Feck Yerself" :whistling:

Evidently he does care otherwise why would he open the thread up in the first place, either that or he is just plain stoopid, could be a tough call :whistling:

I did have a more scathing reply written out but decided to change it. Christmas spirit and aw' that.

Plus it's best just to ignore them so they go away.

The Jets have learnt their lesson for the season and will come through the play offs to take the AFC title -- Superbowl here we come. :santa1:

But seems you haven't :whistling:

Geoff Kilpatrick

The way things are shaping up, I think I'd like the Jests to beat KC as the winner of Baltimore and Indianapolis could be awkward. Brady will destroy the Jests again in Foxborough.

alwaysthereinspirit

The way things are shaping up, I think I'd like the Jests to beat KC as the winner of Baltimore and Indianapolis could be awkward. Brady will destroy the Jests again in Foxborough.

Brady broke another NFL record yesterday. Most consecutive passes without an interception. 318.

If he isn't League MVP then its a travesty.

Geoff, Agree with your sentiment if for nothing else it would be wonderful to spank the great pretender one more time. But to be honest anyone at Foxboro does me. It gets to the stage that they are all awkard, its just some, like the Jests are less awkard :whistling:

Yer man Green-Ellis bounced back with a 100 + game on Sunday that got him back on track after his 30 something the week before. Think he's only about that 70 average I spoke about to get his 1000. Wonder if anyone will be rested this weekend even with the bye week

Brady broke another NFL record yesterday. Most consecutive passes without an interception. 318.

If he isn't League MVP then its a travesty.

He is surely a "shoe-in". :whistling:

On another Brady note, here's hoping he (and the 5 other Patriots) has to pass on his pro-bowl invitation this year

Another game week down and it's looking as if my prediction for the AFC play off line up is shaping up nicely.

A little bit off with the NFC but that isn't very surprising considering how tight it is there.

As for Tom Brady, he is quite simply awesome. He's going to throw the Pats to the Superbowl IMO.

Another game week down and it's looking as if my prediction for the AFC play off line up is shaping up nicely.

A little bit off with the NFC but that isn't very surprising considering how tight it is there.

As for Tom Brady, he is quite simply awesome. He's going to throw the Pats to the Superbowl IMO.

I think you just copied mines Ross did you not, or was it not you that used that Yahoo thingy :smiliz23:

I think you just copied mines Ross did you not, or was it not you that used that Yahoo thingy :smiliz23:

I certainly did not copy anyones :smiliz21:

Yea I used the Yahoo predictor to get my picks. Seem to have predicted quite nicely so far.

I certainly did not copy anyones :smiliz21:

Yea I used the Yahoo predictor to get my picks. Seem to have predicted quite nicely so far.

The reality is when it gets to week 15 its not too difficult to get the majority of the picks right, was a wee bit more up in the air this year but a predictor certainly helps :whistling: Even I got some right albeit without a predictor :thumbsup:

The reality is when it gets to week 15 its not too difficult to get the majority of the picks right, was a wee bit more up in the air this year but a predictor certainly helps :whistling: Even I got some right albeit without a predictor :thumbsup:

:lol: You're probably right.

I very rarely predict anything right though so I need to take my victories (however small) when I get them.

Archived