Rush!

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Never actually heard any of their songs but... I reckon that they are probably a decent band...

Can anyone confirm this?

:beatnik2:

They have a very loyal following, also some cracking songs e.g. Spirit of the Radio.

But at the same time they're not to everyones taste, which is understandable - story telling + a sci fi theme in a lot of their stuff.

Still I liked them enough to buy a couple of their albums back in the early eighties :ninja:

Never actually heard any of their songs but... I reckon that they are probably a decent band...

You decide if they are a decent band - without actually listening to any of their songs. :blink:

You are joking, right? :unsure:

Guest Bilel Mohsni

You decide if they are a decent band - without actually listening to any of their songs. :blink:

You are joking, right? :unsure:

Nope!... they were vehemently recomended... It would have been rude of me not to start a thread on them and swat up on their discography!!

:thumbsup:

Listen to the following as a starting point and then work your way through their catalogue:-

Working Man

Spirit of Radio

Tom Sawyer

Red Barchetta

Closer to the heart

Force Ten

Distant Early Warning

Limelight

Freewill

2112 Overture

Passage to Bangkok

Roll the Bones

Far Cry

Time Stands Still

Remember wearing my denim cut-off 2112 "starman" embroidered jacket to the 1978 Craigmillar RAR Festival supposedly featuring The Clash, but actually headlining The Valves & The Scars.

Not many Rush fans in the audience that day :down:

Edited by felix

Been a fan since the late-70's. They had bit of a trough in the 90's but their recent material and their live shows, have shown that they're still one of the the best in the business.

Almost unclassifiable over the decades. Prog rock - pop rock - metal - reggae - synth - they've been all things to all men and with the highest quality of musicianship throughout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuL_euRslTc

Muse are in direct line of descent from Rush, so I'm doubly grateful.

Fantastic thread - been rocking to some of the old footage. Especially the Snakes and Arrows gig where I was on the DVD 1022.gif

2.gif man - nobody better.

I wonder who told you about them? :whistling:

As said by others, they can be an aquired taste. Not everyone can stand Geddy's vocals. However as players they are fantastic, with a varied catalogue of music.

I first heard them on tape, without knowing who they were. The first thing I heard was 2112! By the time I came out the other end I was hooked. I had to find out who they were.

When I found out I bought every album they had released up to that point.

They have also confused their fans at times by suddenly changing style...the most famous was right at the time of the biggest surge of metal styled music and they brought out an album where you hardly heard any guitars! I remember buying "Signals" and thinking "what the F''''' is THIS" :lol:

Let us know what you think, you should have a few ideas with all the links already posted!

Oh and cheers for listening to me rabbitting on. You are a gentleman.

Edited by geddy

Tiberius Stinkfinger

As said by others, they can be an aquired taste. Not everyone can stand Geddy's vocals. However as players they are fantastic, with a varied catalogue of music.

I first heard them on tape, without knowing who they were. The first thing I heard was 2112! By the time I came out the other end I was hooked. I had to find out who they were.

They have also confused their fans at times by suddenly changing style...the most famous was right at the time of the biggest surge of metal styled music and they brought out an album where you hardly heard any guitars! I remember buying "Signals" and thinking "what the F''''' is THIS" :lol:

Let us know what you think, you should have a few ideas with all the links already posted!

Did you not realise Mothy is deaf ????

Never :lol:

Guest Bilel Mohsni

He's deaf? I wondered why he was smiling so politely at me! :lol:

Me rabbitting? Ok it happens more than it should I admit :lol:

Only partly true, I am only deaf in my left ear... this is the side of my head that is next to Lionbaws' seat. :D

• 10 years later...

Nope. Not for me I’m afraid. His voice grates something terrible to my ear. Good musicians as others have said though a bit “math rock” to me on my limited listening.