Depreciation

K1874M

Write if no one knows the answer to that does anyone know what if its HM actually advise on a figure at all as I can find a figure but I'm being told something else.

I don't mean to sound cheeky, but have you contacted HM Customs & Excise to get a figure?

Yeh... they said its down to the company and they dont advise on depreciation figures, just ask for proof of their calculations... what I need is my own proof of a well used figure.

"dereciation is provided to write of the cost, less estimated residual value, of all fixed assets over their expected usefull lives."

"Plant and Equipment - 10-33% per annum"

I have checked a few sets of accounts I have to hand and the above is pretty standard in regards to depriciaition.

I'm sure IT equipment can be written down more though, especially in the first year.

Has the HMRC web-site not got any info?

Most companies use 33.33% straightline.

i.e writing the laptop off over three years.

I hope this helps.

"dereciation is provided to write of the cost, less estimated residual value, of all fixed assets over their expected usefull lives."

"Plant and Equipment - 10-33% per annum"

I have checked a few sets of accounts I have to hand and the above is pretty standard in regards to depriciaition.

I'm sure IT equipment can be written down more though, especially in the first year.

Has the HMRC web-site not got any info?

Cheers guys....

I've tried looking and can find feck all! very annoying.

Yeh... they said its down to the company and they dont advise on depreciation figures, just ask for proof of their calculations... what I need is my own proof of a well used figure.

How much did the lap-top cost?

How much is it worth now 2nd hand?

How long do you expect it to be usefull for?

I'd go for at least 33% *

*The above is not to be considered as financial advice, nor is it to be considered legal opinion, or an such. Just an opinion on an internet forum.

:cool:

How much did the lap-top cost?

How much is it worth now 2nd hand?

How long do you expect it to be usefull for?

I'd go for at least 33% *

*The above is not to be considered as financial advice, nor is it to be considered legal opinion, or an such. Just an opinion on an internet forum.

:cool:

lol cheers mate...Problem is company's can say that the lap top to them is worth X due to it still being able to carry out certain tasks etc... I think.

If you are worried I would use either 30 or 33% then.

If it appears to be an acceptable industry figure, as stated by Cazza above.

Archived