:facepalm:

P-Dizzle

Say What Again

I listened to The Spurs v Inter game on the radio at work and David Pleat said the same thing. In his opinion, Bale is the best player in the world.

and what's happened to Rooney? I thought we were told it was him? :vrface:

"At present I will concede that Messi, statistically speaking, has more impressive numbers than Bale but as he plays in a league that consists of only two meaningful matches per season that shouldn?t come as a surprise to anyone. For Bale, it?s very different as he plies his trade in an environment where almost every match is contested with a life-and-death commitment."

Staggering ignorance.

"With a transfer kitty to match the likes of Barcelona you could envision a team being built around Bale in much the same way, Pep Guadiola has constructed his side around Messi. We all know the results of that experiment."

No he hasn't. If anything, the team has been constructed around Xavi, Iniesta and arguably Messi.

Messi is probably the most individiually talented but can be replaced by Pedro or one of the up and coming youngsters that Barca can punt on the wing and do a job for a few matches while Messi returns to fitness. If Xavi and Iniesta get injured then that is when they have problems.

Lets not forget the Barca talisman, Carlos Puyol either. Barca are very much about a collective style of play not pandering to an individual talent no matter how good.

Something Man Utd can be accused of with regarding Rooney, hence why they were held to ransom by the pug.

Chad Sexington

He's a cracking player but he's nowhere near the best in the world.

The arrogance of some English journalists is hilarious. They just never learn.

You've seen what happens to Barca when they take their midfield pair out, they fall apart. Although they've been quite reliant on Messi for goals this season, Xavi and Iniesta are the cogs that keep everything turning.

He's a cracking player but he's nowhere near the best in the world.

The arrogance of some English journalists is hilarious. They just never learn.

Premiership myopia Chad. Has been going on for as long as I can remember.

One saving grace is that Bale is Welsh.

Which adds to my point about myopia. These types seem to think that the Premiership is the best in the world and by association the England National Team is therefore one of, if not the, best in the World.

But all the really good players in the Premiership aren't English...

"Currently the best player in the world (and trust me I watch a lot of football)"

Translation:

"I watch a couple of Bundesliga matches, the odd La Liga game and every single Premiership match plus all the highlights packages twice."

The thrust of the article is fine. Sometimes just for a game or three, a player is untouchable and who says Bale wasn't the best in the world last week?! Papers often have a player of the week within a domestic league but there isn't anything like that (understandably) in world terms. I think that's what the journo is getting at.

Where he loses the plot, the reader and any shred of respect is when he basically implies that La Liga is tin-pot in comparison to the EPL. Ridiculously ignorant and arrogant. Dickish in the extreme. It would appear that the players of Sporting Gijon, Hercules and the likes don't try as hard as those of Blackpool and Wigan. I went to see Xerez v Valencia last year and Xerez, the whipping boys of the league, played with huge heart and pride and a fair bit of skill.

Anyway, thread of the article is fine by me, but the journo is obviously a bit of a james blunt.

And there ain't no denyin Bale is a top top player. How come Wales produce them and we don't. They seem to have had a couple of world class players over the last few years (Bale and Giggs) and a fair few top class players (Bellamy, Speed, Hartson). Scotland are better overall, but we just don't seem able to produce that one great, great player.

You've seen what happens to Barca when they take their midfield pair out, they fall apart. Although they've been quite reliant on Messi for goals this season, Xavi and Iniesta are the cogs that keep everything turning.

19 already this season is unbelievable even better than this stage last season where he got 45ish goals for the season. :o

"Personally I think he looks like a combination of Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and Roberto Carlos in his prime"

Oh dear. Who wrote this masterpiece?

19 already this season is unbelievable even better than this stage last season where he got 45ish goals for the season. :o

Yeah, but only English teams try or play with commitment remember. I could prob bang 20 in against Real Sociedad if I could be ersed getting out my scratcher.

If Barca were playing Valencia in my backyard i'd prob pull the curtains.

The thrust of the article is fine. Sometimes just for a game or three, a player is untouchable and who says Bale wasn't the best in the world last week?! Papers often have a player of the week within a domestic league but there isn't anything like that (understandably) in world terms. I think that's what the journo is getting at.

Where he loses the plot, the reader and any shred of respect is when he basically implies that La Liga is tin-pot in comparison to the EPL. Ridiculously ignorant and arrogant. Dickish in the extreme. It would appear that the players of Sporting Gijon, Hercules and the likes don't try as hard as those of Blackpool and Wigan. I went to see Xerez v Valencia last year and Xerez, the whipping boys of the league, played with huge heart and pride and a fair bit of skill.

Anyway, thread of the article is fine by me, but the journo is obviously a bit of a james blunt.

And there ain't no denyin Bale is a top top player. How come Wales produce them and we don't. They seem to have had a couple of world class players over the last few years (Bale and Giggs) and a fair few top class players (Bellamy, Speed, Hartson). Scotland are better overall, but we just don't seem able to produce that one great, great player.

I think a Mr Craig Gordon would disagree

If you are talking about outfield players though then yes I agree

Bale? Messi? Pah, who needs them.

"Templeton opened the scoring with a mazy run and shot that was reminiscent of Lionel Messi in full flight."

:whistling: :whistling:

Bale? Messi? Pah, who needs them.

"Templeton opened the scoring with a mazy run and shot that was reminiscent of Lionel Messi in full flight."

:whistling: :whistling:

I would say Templeton is more like a combination of Bebeto, Cruyff, Zidane, Beckanbuer and Walter Zenga in their prime. :thumbsup:

The Old Tolbooth

"Personally I think he looks like a combination of Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and Roberto Carlos in his prime"

That's the bit I cringed most at too :facepalm:

While there are many genuine talents in football, the game is still overhyped. The Spanish league is great to watch and generally more skilful than the EPL, but the defending of some sides leaves alot to be desired and Messi can get it too easy at times.

The diff is he can provide a bit magic out of the blue unlike many others but he also gets snuffed out on occasion against better opp. But the way some go on you'd think he's unstoppable. Bale's a great player and could cause any side damage but has yet to prove it over a long period.

So apparently La Liga only has two meaningful games a season?

What a ******* idiot.

And that's not even mentioning his claim that Bale is better than Messi.. Absolute claptrap.

I would say Templeton is more like a combination of Bebeto, Cruyff, Zidane, Beckanbuer and Walter Zenga in their prime. :thumbsup:

Actually SuperNovi is more Cruyff than anyone else.

arvydas-novikovas-image-2-454198188.jpgcruyff.jpg

Premiership myopia Chad. Has been going on for as long as I can remember.

One saving grace is that Bale is Welsh.

Which adds to my point about myopia. These types seem to think that the Premiership is the best in the world and by association the England National Team is therefore one of, if not the, best in the World.

But all the really good players in the Premiership aren't English...

That myopia spreads to many a Sky viewer, sadly. I recall on here last season reading that Craig Bellamy was WORLD CLASS. :rofl:

We as Scotsmen and women seem desperate to buy into this myopia, unfortunately.

So apparently La Liga The SPL only has two four meaningful games a season?

What a ******* idiot.

And that's not even mentioning his claim that Bale is better than Messi.. Absolute claptrap.

Is that not the quote the English journo's / pundits churn out when talking about our very own SPL?

If so, he's obviously implying the SPL is twice as good as La Liga :woot: :woot:

To the Ingurlish press, any donkey who plays for Blackpool is better than Messi simply because Blackpool are in the EPL. :yucky:

You're talking shit now. :verymad:

:faceman:

Archived