Would you stop following Hearts if we left Tynecastle?

Ryan Gosling

The stadium conundrum  

667 members have voted

1. 1. Would you stop following Hearts if we left Tynie?

• Of course not, I support Heart of Midlothian, not Tynecastle.
    • Yes.
    • No, but I wouldn't feel as committed.
    • Other (please state)

Would i stop going? Not initially. But through time I think the enthusiam would fade a little. When we're pish just now, the thought of a few pints in the Golden Rule and the stroll down Gorgie road keeps me going. But if it was a soul-less McDermaid park miles from town I think myself, and thousands of others(whether they admit it or not) would think twice about going every week.

And I'm an out of towner. Gogar would suit me better for transport but I still wouldn't want to move there.

No thanks.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, should have added that obviously I'd still follow Hearts. I just don't think that through time it would be as big a part of my life as it is just now or if we remain in Gorgie.

tartofmidlothian

If it was a sensible business decision, to a stadium we owned or had a large stake in, with the team playing well and from a sound financial footing, then no. If we can't upgrade Tynie.

If it's being driven to renting Murrayfield with nothing but decline ahead of us because an ex-Chairman racked up the debt and couldn't pay it, then maybe. But even then, probably not.

Guest juvehearts

i voted other.

i love tynecastle & it would hurt like a death in the family.

i support hearts tho.

what was just wrong with a simple yes & no pole??

juve

Guest vanbasten1874

Stop following Hearts no but if we really had to move id prefer it if we decide what type of stadium we have and we own outright or eventually own the stadium .

I put 'no but not as committed'.

I just think that moving to an edge or out of town location would gradually drain enthusiasm and the identity of the club.

I travel to the games from Glasgow; the Tynecastle atmosphere and grabbing a few cheeky pints before the game makes the trip worthwhile.

I think I would end up going to more away games than home if we moved to a location like Edinburgh Park.

If Heart of Midlothian FC leaves Tynecastle, they are finished. Fact. :down:

They can't afford to lose supporters like me. Another fact.

Does this mean that instead of Broze, Silver, Gold or Platinum like the rest of us you're season ticket is Rhodium?

Shiny new stadiums are all good in theory... but Hearts are part of the community.

Take the club out of the area and the community and the club will suffer. Take the stadium and put it in some random place and you've got another Broadwood or Falkirk Stadium. Couldn't think of much worse than grounds like that where the fans are kept at arms length because it's not close by.

IMO - clubs suffer after a massive upheaval. Moving to the ground out of the centre of Edinburgh makes it more difficult to attract the fan who maybe only makes a handful of games a season.

Charlie-Brown

The poll results if representative indicate that 12.04% of our support would be less inclined to support the team if they moved away from Tynecastle - to put that into perspective based on saturdays 12'009 attendance it would mean that 1'445 people would consider if they would still be willing to attend the game or not.

Howdy Doody Jambo

Half the games i support Hearts are away from home anyway , nothing lasts forever progress , change whatever you call it Hearts are in a financial mess right now so it may be a way of addressing the debt Edinburgh Park would be great for rail and road links but not for the hardcore fan base who go in all weathers at any time any day who are the lifeblood of the club

It won't happen Gorgie needs Hearts and Hearts need Gorgie

Francis Albert

The poll results if representative indicate that 12.04% of our support would be less inclined to support the team if they moved away from Tynecastle - to put that into perspective based on saturdays 12'009 attendance it would mean that 1'445 people would consider if they would still be willing to attend the game or not.

But there is no way the "poll" results are representative. Results so far suggest at least 7 Hibbies have voted, for a start.

Desperate stuff CB. (12.04% - love it!).

Charlie-Brown

But there is no way the "poll" results are representative. Results so far suggest at least 7 Hibbies have voted, for a start.

Desperate stuff CB. (12.04% - love it!).

What is unfactual or unlikely that approx 10% of fans would consider themselves less likely to attend? Do you think it is impossible that our crowds could vary downwards by that amount based on this issue?

Edit: even taking the 7 alleged Hibbies out of the equation still only accounts for just under 2% of the vote - so 10% of fans less inclined to attend still adds up to 1K or more fans based on our average attendances.

If a move is the best option in the end, I'd like to see changes to the proposed design of the new stadium. As someone said on another thread, it's Edinburgh in winter, not California - 100% cover is essential. If a running track has to be part of the deal to attract subsidy, so be it. Steeper banks of seating and cover should help with atmosphere.

Build a pub in the suburb or make sure there is a licensed clubhouse as part of the complex.

I voted Other.

Can't think of anything other than health reasons that would stop me following Hearts and although I would hate to leave Tynie if it was for a decent stadium and it gave us genuine financial security then that's a price I would be willing to accept.

Would still be gutted to leave Tynie though

I think if my kids were to stop going as they got older then I could see my 'devotion' waning.

I only go to the game and go home - no pre or post-match pint etc.... so if I am being honest if the football on offer is average and it meant having to go out to Edinburgh Park etc.... I might struggle for motivation.

Build a pub in the suburb or make sure there is a licensed clubhouse as part of the complex.

Not that I think this project will happen: but in theory, if it did, they'd really need to open up a massive suite under the stands for the fans to grab a few pints, in order to make the experience more worthwhile.

People splash out hundreds of pounds and travel hundreds/thousands of miles following Hearts in europe but are having doubts whether they`d go to a game on their doorstep??? :blink:

I put 'no but not as committed'.

I just think that moving to an edge or out of town location would gradually drain enthusiasm and the identity of the club.

I travel to the games from Glasgow; the Tynecastle atmosphere and grabbing a few cheeky pints before the game makes the trip worthwhile.

I think I would end up going to more away games than home if we moved to a location like Edinburgh Park.

If Hearts were to move out west the club would lose a lot of the support they have right now but they would pull in some new fans from the surrounding areas.

Francis Albert

What is unfactual or unlikely that approx 10% of fans would consider themselves less likely to attend? Do you think it is impossible that our crowds could vary downwards by that amount based on this issue?

Edit: even taking the 7 alleged Hibbies out of the equation still only accounts for just under 2% of the vote - so 10% of fans less inclined to attend still adds up to 1K or more fans based on our average attendances.

What is "unfactual" or to be more precise just plain silly is drawing firm conclusions from a poll on what is at this stage a wholly theoretical proposal (fantasy?) totally lacking in detail and context. For example IF a move was accompanied by reduction of debt to a level that would make HMFC a going concern and it was accompanied by a change of ownership or at least the real prospect of such then I suspect a poll on a real proposal would show different results. There are dozens of other scenarios you can draw up in which a REAL decision might be made, and in a number of those a move MIGHT be the preferred solution. To simply argue that you would oppose a move in ANY circumstances is silly.

On the narrow theoretical point, Murrayfield (which I am NOT suggesting as a solution) to me suggested that there may be at least a couple of thousand Hearts fans who for whatever reason seem to prefer to go somewhere other than Tynecastle to watch Hearts. However unpalatable that may be to some Tynecastle fans (of which I am one).

The Future's Maroon

I can only assume the 8 votes for yes are the Hobo's we still have lurking about on the board?

For me, although I would hate to see us leave Tynecastle - things change, a number of clubs in the UK have moved stadium in recent years. If that is what is best for the club I would support it. Of course I would prefer to stay at Tynecastle but if that is not a viable option then so be it.

Charlie-Brown

What is "unfactual" or to be more precise just plain silly is drawing firm conclusions from a poll on what is at this stage a wholly theoretical proposal (fantasy?) totally lacking in detail and context. For example IF a move was accompanied by reduction of debt to a level that would make HMFC a going concern and it was accompanied by a change of ownership or at least the real prospect of such then I suspect a poll on a real proposal would show different results. There are dozens of other scenarios you can draw up in which a REAL decision might be made, and in a number of those a move MIGHT be the preferred solution. To simply argue that you would oppose a move in ANY circumstances is silly.

On the narrow theoretical point, Murrayfield (which I am NOT suggesting as a solution) to me suggested that there may be at least a couple of thousand Hearts fans who for whatever reason seem to prefer to go somewhere other than Tynecastle to watch Hearts. However unpalatable that may be to some Tynecastle fans (of which I am one).

This poll asked a fairly simple question - would you stop following Hearts if we left Tynecastle? It didn't say would you stop supporting Hearts it simply asked if you would still go to matches or be less inclined to go to matches - even discounting the alleged Hobo votes some people presumably Hearts fans voted for options that put them in the less inclined to attend category. Nobody made people vote on this poll it was 100% voluntary - presumably these people had enough of an interest and opinion on the subject to register their vote. There are only 2 absolute outcomes in any poll which are 100% for or 100% against - everything else is a relative percentage somewhere in-between these polar opposities. Approx 10% of people polled indicated a stadium move would lessen their enthusiasm to attend which IF was representative of general supporter feeling and we've no reason to believe that it isn't that would mean that approx 1K people per home game would be less likely to attend than now based on how they voted (without conditions). Surely that we might lose some supporters isn't a shock or surprise to anyone is it? The club would then need to gain new supporters by an equal and corresponding amount just to maintain the existing fan-base and further growth would be needed to actually grow attendances.

Nelly Terraces suggested polling if non-attending supporters would be more or less likely to attend away from Tynecastle - that is the most relevant poll for any future stadium proposals because we need at least 1 new fan to replace every 1 lapsed fan.

Francis Albert

This poll asked a fairly simple question - would you stop following Hearts if we left Tynecastle? It didn't say would you stop supporting Hearts it simply asked if you would still go to matches or be less inclined to go to matches - even discounting the alleged Hobo votes some people presumably Hearts fans voted for options that put them in the less inclined to attend category. Nobody made people vote on this poll it was 100% voluntary - presumably these people had enough of an interest and opinion on the subject to register their vote. There are only 2 absolute outcomes in any poll which are 100% for or 100% against - everything else is a relative percentage somewhere in-between these polar opposities. Approx 10% of people polled indicated a stadium move would lessen their enthusiasm to attend which IF was representative of general supporter feeling and we've no reason to believe that it isn't that would mean that approx 1K people per home game would be less likely to attend than now based on how they voted (without conditions). Surely that we might lose some supporters isn't a shock or surprise to anyone is it? The club would then need to gain new supporters by an equal and corresponding amount just to maintain the existing fan-base and further growth would be needed to actually grow attendances.

Nelly Terraces suggested polling if non-attending supporters would be more or less likely to attend away from Tynecastle - that is the most relevant poll for any future stadium proposals because we need at least 1 new fan to replace every 1 lapsed fan.

You assume that answering the simple question "Would you stop going" with "No but I would feel less committed" is equivalent to "yes, I would stop going". It clearly suits your premature and slightly hysterical reaction to "the proposal" to interpret it this way, but it is of course nonsense.

No offence Kick-Ass, I can see that you've tried to make the options as flexible and relevant as possible but there just isn't one that I can pick. Sure, it's fairly clear that pretty much all of us here wouldn't give up on Hearts if it came down to it so the first option is always going to be the most popular but whether or not it's truly representative...well...I'm not so sure about that.

Would I still follow Hearts if we were forced out of Tynecastle? Of course. But it would change my relationship with the club and probably not in a particularly good way. It would be a bad change and it would be irrevocable.

Charlie-Brown

You assume that answering the simple question "Would you stop going" with "No but I would feel less committed" is equivalent to "yes, I would stop going". It clearly suits your premature and slightly hysterical reaction to "the proposal" to interpret it this way, but it is of course nonsense.

Where did i write that? I don't think i did - I clearly stated that based on percentages that approx 1K fans said they would be less inclined to attend, i didn't ever say they wouldn't go or that they all wouldn't go but i strongly suspect that we'd see the loss of regular attendance from a significant amount of these people - i recognise that peoples supporting habits change over the years often to do with work, family or financial circumstances - that these people voluntarily put themselves in the less committed bracket is not nonsense as you suggest but their own response and opinion on the question asked.

Francis Albert

Where did i write that? I don't think i did - I clearly stated that based on percentages that approx 1K fans said they would be less inclined to attend, i didn't ever say they wouldn't go or that they all wouldn't go but i strongly suspect that we'd see the loss of regular attendance from a significant amount of these people - i recognise that peoples supporting habits change over the years often to do with work, family or financial circumstances - that these people voluntarily put themselves in the less committed bracket is not nonsense as you suggest but their own response and opinion on the question asked.

When someone answers the question "Will you stop going?" with "No, but I will feel less committed" my simple interpretation is that they are saying they will not stop going.

Charlie-Brown

When someone answers the question "Will you stop going?" with "No, but I will feel less committed" my simple interpretation is that they are saying they will not stop going.

So why didn't they just vote 'No' then? They clearly chose that specific reply discerning themselves from those that would continue to attend regardless and put themselves in a less-committed bracket, the logical conclusion from that is that at least some of them felt their future attendance was at least conditional or less definite than the people who put themselves in either of the absolute no/yes categories.

Francis Albert

So why didn't they just vote 'No' then? They clearly chose that specific reply discerning themselves from those that would continue to attend regardless and put themselves in a less-committed bracket, the logical conclusion from that is that at least some of them felt their future attendance was at least conditional or less definite than the people who put themselves in either of the absolute no/yes categories.

To express a preference for staying at Tynie? In the same sense that I feel marginally less committed to going to see us playing in this seasons horrible non-Hearts-like shirts (home and away versions) but it doesn't actually affect my attendance one jot.

Anyway, I have been drawn into debating something I said several posts ago that it was silly to debate, so I'll stop now.

Remember guys, there is an 'other' option for other types of answers/opinions.

All Kick-Ass has done is open a debate on the subject. I'm not bothered about the straw poll, but I am interested in the debate.

The club is bigger than the ground, if it was better for us financially and for a better chance of growing the club then yes of course I would definitely move the club to this proposed new stadium. I'd insist on it being called something in connection with Hearts and not the Edinburgh Park Stadium or something ridiculous like that. But then again naming doesn't necessarily matter as long as we can fill it most weeks and get a good atmosphere in side it then who cares were we play. The strips will be Maroon, I'd imagine the seats will be too, the players Jambos. It's closer to Riccarton, a training ground we don't fully own independently and share, and we'd have a modern new stadium.

But if we can get a new stand at the current location then we should stay put. It's all we need really. 10,000 seater with better facilities and other modern bits and bobs to go with it. But c'est la vie, neither are likely to occur in the foreseeable future in my opinion.

Btw, on the distance from the pubs, I live in that area, and there are a few in Corstorphine, which could probably use a pick up in sales so for the local area pub-wise it'd be a boost. But we could do what Chesterfield done in their new ground, have a fans bar in the stadium as there's not really any near by pubs. Close it 45minutes before kick off and don't open it till about half an hour after it and I think you could run a good wee profit maker for the club. Public transport there is good, can get a bus nearly anywhere there and back, plus the Train and Tram developments would be good too. So it's a very economic and forward sounding idea. The design in the EEN the other night though was pretty standard. Looked like they went and got a template of a "Modern looking Stadium" and stuck it on the front of the paper.

Funnily enough if Hearts moved it would make me MORE likely to start following them again.

There is no easy way to get to and from Tynecastle from the Pans (I can get home from Motherwell or Falkirk quicker) and parking is atrocious nowadays with all the controlled zones that have popped up in the last year or three. I have no emotional ties to Tynecastle in the same way as I feel Scotland would benefit from summer fotball. Don't get me wrong, I love the place and I love the game as it is but that doesn't mean things can't or won't be improved.

Those against change will keep this club and this country at the level they are and I'd prefer better. Even Andrei Arshavn (sp) said on A League Of Their Own that he couldn't believe ENGLISH leagues play through the winter. What would he think if he came up here???

Commander Harris

?? No. ?but I'd be very much against a move away from Tynecastle unless it was absolutely necessary, i.e. the club faced extinction and this was definitely our only option to continue. ? ??

Remember guys, there is an 'other' option for other types of answers/opinions.

All Kick-Ass has done is open a debate on the subject. I'm not bothered about the straw poll, but I am interested in the debate.

Murrayfield would be better than the way out west stadium. At least you're closer to home.

Edinburgh park is a crazy idea. :down:

The poll results if representative

They're not. The vast majority of posters on KB don't actually attend games. They "support" Heart of Midlothian FC via the internet. Consequently, they are "stadium agnostic".

Guest jambomickey

They're not. The vast majority of posters on KB don't actually attend games. They "support" Heart of Midlothian FC via the internet. Consequently, they are "stadium agnostic".

seconded. :thumbsup:

As opposed to those who are "second half agnostic", you mean? :rolleyes:

The vast majority of posters on KB do support Heart of Midlothian FC, however. Unlike you. You appear to support some mythical figment of your imagination called "Tynecastle FC". Your earlier post on this thread said it all, quite frankly.

If Heart of Midlothian FC leaves Tynecastle, they are finished. Fact. :down:

They can't afford to lose supporters like me. Another fact.

:vrface:

I doubt if it would be the majority. In fact I'm sure a poll was done and most did attend games.

Guest jambomickey

As opposed to those who are "second half agnostic", you mean? :rolleyes:

The vast majority of posters on KB do support Heart of Midlothian FC, however. Unlike you. You appear to support some mythical figment of your imagination called "Tynecastle FC". Your earlier post on this thread said it all, quite frankly.

:vrface:

shaun you need to start following hearts before you can stop, :lol: therapist does infact put his money where his mouth is. :thumbsup:

shaun you need to start following hearts before you can stop, :lol: therapist does infact put his money where his mouth is. :thumbsup:

For what, though? So he can stop if we happen to change stadiums? I don't understand that at all. Do you even understand it? :blink:

Guest jambomickey

For what, though? So he can stop if we happen to change stadiums? I don't understand that at all. Do you even understand it? :blink:

yes i do understand that everybody is entitled to have there own opinion, i'd never stop following hearts but i respect therapists opinion may differ from mine but right now he puts his money where his mouth is and follows hearts on a weekly basis.

yes i do understand that everybody is entitled to have there own opinion, i'd never stop following hearts but i respect therapists opinion may differ from mine but right now he puts his money where his mouth is and follows hearts on a weekly basis.

Would you prefer if the folk who aren't able to go every week just didn't bother to go at all? Seeing as they aren't entitled to an opinion.

Guest jambomickey

Would you prefer if the folk who aren't able to go every week just didn't bother to go at all? Seeing as they aren't entitled to an opinion.

not at all, there's reasons why some people can't go on a weekly basis! the ones that bug me are the ones who can but only come out expecting tickets for cup finals.

not at all, there's reasons why some people can't go on a weekly basis! the ones that bug me are the ones who can but only come out expecting tickets for cup finals.

Yeah they are a bit shitty but better them there than empty seats. If any proper fan wants a ticket for a cup final they'll be able to get one. These folk just boost the attendance and I don't see the problem with it.

How is the whole Newcastle thing working out for you?

Guest jambomickey

How is the whole Newcastle thing working out for you?

haven't been down to newcastle this season yet but i've still got my season ticket, it doesn't get used at all now because my dad died 5 weeks ago.

Archived