ROYAL HIGH

Miller Jambo 60

Miller Jambo 60

Got a wee slip like a betting slip to sign cos my son was late.

Hes 16 not 2.

Doug

Want to consentrate on all the weed smokers fae cramond

When i was at school i got the ******* belt for being late.

Today the kids get away with a note to get signed.

Beat the shit out of him Doug.

Miller Jambo 60

When i was at school i got the ******* belt for being late.

Today the kids get away with a note to get signed.

Beat the shit out of him Doug.

:lol:True bud i had 2 square gos on a monday morning wi hobos :lol: :lol:

Miller Jambo 60

Sounds like Doug's son is repeating the sins of the father.

And my sins are, love to hear this.

Hows u

Miller Jambo 60

Sounds like Doug's son is repeating the sins of the father.

Like East Craigs primary the teachers are career loving mups, and royal high is going the same way.

Being at Craigmount , wot would i know

:lol:True bud i had 2 square gos on a monday morning wi hobos :lol: :lol:

Seriously?

Your 50 not 10. (see what I done there?)

Miller Jambo 60

You telling me you were never late for school, Dougaloo?

Never missed a class TBH , but im 50 bud changed days.

Aye but if you turned up to parents evening to be told he'd been late half the time - you'd be complaining about not being told sooner.

Of course they sent a note home. Lenient, if you ask me - generally lateness is the first step down the road to delinquency on a much greater scale.

Good to see the old RHS is ensuring that behaviour standards are kept up to scratch. Couldn't have pupils swanning about thinking they're bigger than the school. Viva Schola Regia. :thumbsup:

Of course they sent a note home. Lenient, if you ask me - generally lateness is the first step down the road to delinquency on a much greater scale.

Good to see the old RHS is ensuring that behaviour standards are kept up to scratch. Couldn't have pupils swanning about thinking they're bigger than the school. Viva Schola Regia. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The RHS made me the fine upstanding gent I am today.

Doug Jnr should learn to respect school rules and get his arse in on time. Doesn't matter if hes a first year pupil or 6th.

Doug Jnr needs to wise up. A simple forgery of Doug Snr's signature would have prevented the need for this particular thread.

Doug Jnr needs to wise up. A simple forgery of Doug Snr's signature would have prevented the need for this particular thread.

biggrin.gif

I love it when parent(s) forfeit all responsibility of raising their children to the schools :rolleyes:

Guest C00l K1d

Aye royal high are meant to be quite strict wi all that.

I was late every singe day of my last year at school and didn't even get a detention. I'M FAR TO COOL FOR SCHOOL ANYWAYZ

Jeez, you latter day RHS boys don't know the half of it. Bunch of gytes... :whistling:

Before they knocked a hole in the wall so you could walk into the rear of the school from Queensferry Road, then the only way to take the shortcut was to climb over the damn thing - with prefects hanging in wait like border guards. If you were caught, you were in deep poo. They were bricking it in case someone jumped the wall at 3:30 and stumbled in front of a lorry...splat..

Throw in the odd skelping from Badgers gym-shoe or one of his chalk throws that could take your eye out ... or 6 of the belt from Weed Graham or George Hayton ... yup, the good old days... Mindyou we were mental in the 70's

Still one of the few schools where a pupil killed a town official in cold blood and got away with it after the pupils declared a holiday in a "barr-oot". Makes todays school hard-men looks like saps...

Vivas schola regia, schola regia venerabilis...

Hi Doug. Hope signing that piece of paper wasn't too much work for you.

Glad to see you're taking your son's side in this.

I'm sure everything will work out for the best.

Got a wee slip like a betting slip to sign cos my son was late.

Hes 16 not 2.

Doug

It makes perfect sense for a 16 year old to get a late slip.

It makes absolutely no sense for a 2 year old to get a late slip.

Good to see this country is still running smoothly in some departments. :thumbsup:

I P Knightley

Oh please... can somebody with the requisite skills mock up Doug's son's forged late note from his dad. :D

Can I just say I am loving the emergence of all these RHS old boys on this thread to defend the good honour of a institution against the Doug Family :thumbsup:

RHS_crest.png

Vivas schola regia,

Vivas schola regia,

Vivas, vivas schola regia!

I have a lot of mates who went to Royal High.

Seems to have turned out some decent chaps (for a statey :whistling: )

:thumbsup:

I have a lot of mates who went to Royal High.

Seems to have turned out some decent chaps (for a statey :whistling: )

:thumbsup:

Well that was down to the eternally hypocritical George Foulkes and early 70's Edinburgh Labour wasn't it !

Despite Georges own early schooling at Haberdashers (Shauns old place...) ... and a subsequent Lords peerage, he and his misplaced class-warrior crew saw fit to meddle big-time with an Edinburgh instiution that begain in 1128 (maybe earlier). Council estate scumbags like me got the chance to get a lift up the ladder through the entrance exam. Turned out Iin 1973 I was in the last all-male year in 850 years of existence as the school went compo next year and let in a combination of girls and Clerry aggro :lol:

Its a travesty in my opinion that over time, Boroughmuir, Trinity, Gillespies - and the Royal High - were all politically sacrificed at the alter of comprehensive education. Theres no middle ground in Edinburgh anymore. If you've got money you can pay for it ... but the council ended what was effectively a grammar school system, and closed down enhanced opportunity to those that could make use of it.

Anyway, Scots ya bass ! Angles, Picts and Britons ? ,,, bunch of fairies.

Well that was down to the eternally hypocritical George Foulkes and early 70's Edinburgh Labour wasn't it !

Despite Georges own early schooling at Haberdashers (Shauns old place...) ... and a subsequent Lords peerage, he and his misplaced class-warrior crew saw fit to meddle big-time with an Edinburgh instiution that begain in 1128 (maybe earlier). Council estate scumbags like me got the chance to get a lift up the ladder through the entrance exam. Turned out Iin 1973 I was in the last all-male year in 850 years of existence as the school went compo next year and let in a combination of girls and Clerry aggro :lol:

Its a travesty in my opinion that over time, Boroughmuir, Trinity, Gillespies - and the Royal High - were all politically sacrificed at the alter of comprehensive education. Theres no middle ground in Edinburgh anymore. If you've got money you can pay for it ... but the council ended what was effectively a grammar school system, and closed down enhanced opportunity to those that could make use of it.

My dad goes on about this constantly 'when I was at Royal High it was pretty much a private school'

He was there through primary and started the old high school and I think moved to the new one as well for a couple of years when it first opened.

Would have been before 1973 (I think.....:blink: )

:Agree:

I've always been in two minds on education policy. On the one hand, I believe in equality of opportunity, and hate the two tier system we have nowadays. I didn't like my private school one bit, was serially unimpressed by the quality of the teaching... but know it gave me many, many advantages those in comprehensives don't enjoy.

But on the other, social mobility in the UK has been static ever since grammar schools were scrapped. Very obviously, they played a fantastic role in British society - and sacrificing them because of political dogma has done tremendous harm.

I still pass it now and again when I go to visit my mum. I have to say 2 things.....the skirts didn't use to be that short when I was learning my perving trade and I wish we'd had the amazing sports facilities they have now.

My dad goes on about this constantly 'when I was at Royal High it was pretty much a private school'

He was there through primary and started the old high school and I think moved to the new one as well for a couple of years when it first opened.

Sounds like your old man would have been there around the same time as mine.

I went to Tesco at about 1245pm last week. There was a big queue outside of RHS kids. I walked past them and into the shop. The woman on the door started yelling at me for jumping the queue and not taking a basket.

I told her I didn't need a basket as I was only in to grab my lunch quickly.

She told me every schoolkid needed to have a basket and I should go to the back of the queue for my lip.

Imagine her horror when I told her what age I was and offered my ID as proof.

Cow.

Sounds like your old man would have been there around the same time as mine.

Maybe.....I think my dad is 57 so 1953 birth year.

Say he went to high school age 12-18 he would have been there roughly 65/66 - 71/72?

Think they moved schools in the late 60s if memory serves.

Think the Barnton School opened in late 60's, so he was probably leaving as I was going !

The thing I Iliked about the RHS was the fact that it was a melting pot for Edinburgh society. Lots of middle class types who also went to the prep school ... and then an influx of council schemies like me who mixed in at 12 years old or so by virtue of the entrance exam. My mates from then - who I still see regularly - are all part of that social mix. True there were some rugby tossers about, but us footie types gravitated together and played down at D Mains park after school.

Anyway, the council took away that kind of educational opportunity, and now Edinburgh is more black-and-white. A class that pays for its education and a class that doesn't or can't. The few schools like the RHS that provided the kind of grammar school middle ground should have been left well alone. A purely political wrecking act by Foulkes and crew...

:Agree:

I've always been in two minds on education policy. On the one hand, I believe in equality of opportunity, and hate the two tier system we have nowadays. I didn't like my private school one bit, was serially unimpressed by the quality of the teaching... but know it gave me many, many advantages those in comprehensives don't enjoy.

But on the other, social mobility in the UK has been static ever since grammar schools were scrapped. Very obviously, they played a fantastic role in British society - and sacrificing them because of political dogma has done tremendous harm.

Yup meritocracy is the name of the game Shaun. There should be more of it.

Maybe.....I think my dad is 57 so 1953 birth year.

Say he went to high school age 12-18 he would have been there roughly 65/66 - 71/72?

Think they moved schools in the late 60s if memory serves.

My dad was born 1958 so would have been 5 years behind your dad. He used to tell me about the move but I never listened.

BoJack Horseman

My dad was born 1958 so would have been 5 years behind your dad. He used to tell me about the move but I never listened.

Old dad.

Mine is a 64' Heriots boy.

When I passed my Qualifying Exam at Preston Street School it qualified me for a bursary to what was a fee paying school at the time, namely Royal High. didn't want to go to a posh school, and wanted to go to Jimmy's where I could play football. My old mother was broken hearted and I compromised by going to Boroughmuir. My sister was at James Gillespies School for Girls, on reflection I wonder how my mother thought she was going to afford my sister's fee's and then uniforms and the other incidental's for both of us.

I was delighted to be a Pict. The house badge was maroon in those days, maybe still is. Scots? Pah. Their house colour was a fruity light blue. The Britons were light green (yuk) and the Angles were royal blue.

I too was a pict at the fine institution that was The Royal High School. Doug, your son is lucky Dr Murray aint there anymore, thats all I am saying. A great man was DJ Murray!

I too was a pict at the fine institution that was The Royal High School. Doug, your son is lucky Dr Murray aint there anymore, thats all I am saying. A great man was DJ Murray!

Agreed. :thumbsup:

And Broughton and Leith Academy.

I must have been in one of the last intakes at Trinity when parents still had to pay a fee to send their child there. It was a way for us kids from coonsil estates (Muirhouse in my case) to get a grammar school education and an opportunity to get to University. I wonder what would have happened if I had ended up at Craigie. blink.gif

Agreed. :thumbsup:

I am 6'5" and over 18 stone (was big at school too) so I am designed for rugby.

However, I hated rugby and told Dr Murray this.

To put it into a Mr Dingwall Maths equation

i8hibsh hates rugby = Dr Murray hated i8hibsh

Archived