West Highland Way

Gerd Muller

Gerd Muller

Going to do it in May. Only ever climbed ben lomond to 3/4 of the way up one morning when extremely hungover before it started to snow so I'm a complete novice.

Anyone done this walk?

Yeah I have done it, It's a great walk. Are you camping or gonna stay at b&b's etc along the way?

I would get a few practice walks in if you are a complete novice. The only real tough bit was the devil's staircase after 10 pints if guinness the night before it was literally hell on earth. For the most part it is just walking we set out to do about 16-20 miles a day, if you buy one of the guide books you can sort out your stops etc. Oh and pack the bare minimum of stuff I ended up throwing away everything that wasn't essential.

Going to do it in May. Only ever climbed ben lomond to 3/4 of the way up one morning when extremely hungover before it started to snow so I'm a complete novice.

Anyone done this walk?

I have done quite a few munros. Can't beat a bit walking. Best not beeing hungover though. ;)Would suggest you do a few practice walks first though. Get a good pair of boots. ?100 should do you.

Carl Weathers

Make sure your footwear is sorted and don't carry tents, camping gear etc on your back - it takes the fun out of it!

I think you can arrange to get your gear couriered at the stops along the way.

Craig Gordons Gloves

Never done it all at once, but have walked quite a few sections of it. As the previous folks say - make sure your boots are good and are 'broken in' before you start. Be careful of the midgies around Kinlochleven youth hostel, we camped there one night and it drove me totally insane putting up the tent. I had 4 ciggies going at the same time to try and drive the buggers away.

You do realise that it's a walk that you have to put some practice in beforehand? I've done it about 4 times and each time I had to gradually build up the miles months before. Also, make sure your boots are well and truly broken in as even the slightest problem can become crippling and at worst - life threatening . If it makes any difference, I preferred using the hostels/b&b's rather than camping. The only draw back to doing this, though, is some days trekking are longer than others as you obviously have to go by hostel distances rather than whether you can be arsed or not.

Just be sensible before and during the walk and that way you'll get a lot out of it. I'd recommend doing small parts before doing the whole thing as this will let you know what to expect.

Having said all that, I remember speaking to 4 paras that were running the whole walk with mega rucksacks on. lol

Sorry for spamming this thread, but it won't allow me to edit my previous posts. I just wanted to add:

The best boots to use are Scarpa boots. I'd also go for ones with the least amount of stitching as every bit of stitching weakens the boots so I tend to go for ones that have only been stitched at the back. They're buggers for breaking in, and can be crippling too, but once they're broken in you'll be hard pressed to find a more comfy boot.

Gerd Muller

Yeah we're going to book youth hostels/ b&bs before we set off so can least we've got an end stop to aim for. We're looking to do on average 20 miles a day. I understand about doing walks etc before hand and a few of us will be starting this weekend with a drive to one of the ben's!

There is a shop in edinburgh called Tiso which I will have a look in. What other shops are there to visit for outdoor stuff like rucksacks/walking boots etc?

PeterCapital
Yeah we're going to book youth hostels/ b&bs before we set off so can least we've got an end stop to aim for. We're looking to do on average 20 miles a day. I understand about doing walks etc before hand and a few of us will be starting this weekend with a drive to one of the ben's!

There is a shop in edinburgh called Tiso which I will have a look in. What other shops are there to visit for outdoor stuff like rucksacks/walking boots etc?

Try clarks: http://www.clarks.co.uk/

Archived