• Haken

• dougal

• Gigolo-Aunt

• Coco

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
Rupert Custard

Mollys Game. About a young woman who organises high stakes poker games bringing her into conflict with the Russian mafia and the FBI.

Shanks said no

Been on holiday, so had a reading splurge, off the top of my head

Finished Gray Mountain by John Grisham and my like turned into dislike and I realised why I stopped reading Grisham. Did not enjoy

Read Ghost by Robert Harris and although I had watched some of the movie I couldn't remember how it panned out. Enjoyable.

Read Rory Clements 2nd in the series Nucleus about a Uni Don in the run up to WW2. Another enjoyable one.

Favourite however was Invasion by DC Alden. It felt very politically incorrect and has been surpassed by IS losing in the Middle East but an interesting take on what could have happened.

Now thanks to it being mentioned on here I am getting into The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking Book 1) 
by Patrick Ness

Hugh Phamism
5 hours ago, Rupert Custard said:

Mollys Game. About a young woman who organises high stakes poker games bringing her into conflict with the Russian mafia and the FBI.

True story about an ex-USA Olympic Downhill Skier. The movie is pretty good.

My daughter asked for  "The Power of the Dog" by Don Winslow at Xmas and I've just finished the book. 500+ pages of an incredible tale of the American/S American drugs business spanning 30 years. It's a fantastic  novel. I bought her the sequel but can't get my hands on it until she goes on holiday later this month.

On the back of the above I bought "Killing Pablo" for £3 in a discount book store and it dovetails nicely with the book above but obviously is non fiction this time. it's about the killing of Pablo Escobar , his total corruption of law & order and how Colombian / USA  law enforcement set out to kill him - with the help of rival drugs gangs, ironically enough. There's a great human angle about the mild mannered policeman who was given the unenvious task of leading the police hunt for him. 

Rupert Custard
13 hours ago, Hugh Phamism said:

True story about an ex-USA Olympic Downhill Skier. The movie is pretty good.

Aye going to watch the film.

Now reading Cut-throat: The Vicious World of Roddy McLean. Full of Edinburgh references obviously and a fantastic story.

On 14/02/2019 at 11:07, Ray Gin said:

51Zp2PkPeCL._SY346_.jpg

Just over half way through. Pretty decent so far.

This was the first book I've finished in under 5 days. I thought it was fantastic. Very powerful and moving.

On 20/03/2019 at 11:50, Hugh Phamism said:

Just finished the newest Logan McRae, and really enjoyed it. The series started off very good, but got a bit pish. McBride now back on top form with this latest adventure.

51CgOApFcsL.jpg

Starting this tonight 

Konrad von Carstein

Just read Bernard Cromwells "The Lost Kingdom" books 1 and 2. Nnnnng! I wanted to like them but found the story to be tedious and I couldn't get with the characters.

Book 1 of Simon Scarrow's Under the Eagle... Immediately into the story and characters Macro and Cato.

Much better read.

Francis Albert

The Shortest History of Germany by James Hawes. Maybe a bit hard going until it gets to the 20th Century but worth it because it all comes together then. One of the best history books I have read ... yet as the title suggests one of the shortest!

On ‎02‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 23:35, The Frenchman Returns said:

Now thanks to it being mentioned on here I am getting into The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking Book 1) 
by Patrick Ness

Might've been me.  It's a really good trilogy.  It's the sort of thing that makes me wish that it had been around when I was a 'Young Adult'. instead of the sort of tosh that was available.  Probably why I ended up reading the likes of Alastair MacLean and Stephen King from the age of 12 rather than the sorts of fiction 'aimed' at us back then (in the 80s).

On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 11:09, Haken said:

Before taking on the fifth, I'm re-reading Number 9 Dream by David MItchell.

Think I enjoyed Number 9 Dream more reading it a second time (some years after reading it for the first).  Other than remembering it was about a young Japanese lad looking ofr his father, I'd forgotten most of what happened.  The chapter in the hotel with the Yakuza is immense.

Back to the less challenging Robert Hunter series - Book 5 - One by One

Reading A Season with Verona by Tim Parks for the second time.

The best book about football i’ve ever read. More than a football book actually.

I can’t recommend it highly enough.

doctor jambo
On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 16:50, Konrad von Carstein said:

Just read Bernard Cromwells "The Lost Kingdom" books 1 and 2. Nnnnng! I wanted to like them but found the story to be tedious and I couldn't get with the characters.

Book 1 of Simon Scarrow's Under the Eagle... Immediately into the story and characters Macro and Cato.

Much better read.

I have to admit I like Scarrow... though he does lack the pomp, scope and literacy of Iggulden/harris

The "Hannibal" series by Ben Kane were enjoyable, but not as good as the aforementioned- with the draw back that I was hoping the Cathaginian hero would get killed, as I developed a dislike for him

Francis Albert
6 hours ago, Boab said:

Reading A Season with Verona by Tim Parks for the second time.

The best book about football i’ve ever read. More than a football book actually.

I can’t recommend it highly enough.

Seconded.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎08‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 11:20, Haken said:

Think I enjoyed Number 9 Dream more reading it a second time (some years after reading it for the first).  Other than remembering it was about a young Japanese lad looking ofr his father, I'd forgotten most of what happened.  The chapter in the hotel with the Yakuza is immense.

Back to the less challenging Robert Hunter series - Book 5 - One by One

Finshed One by One and then made the mistake of reading the next one in the series straight away, An Evil Mind.  It's basically a ripped off rewriting of Silence of the Lambs.

Now onto A Snownball in Hell by Christopher Brookmyre.  Haven't read much of his stuff, but it seems ok.

Just ordered the holy sister by mark Lawrence, desperate to get it started as the first 2 books of the series are up there with my all time favourites.

doctor jambo

Just finished "the Ghost " by Robert Harris

excellent.

prior to that "the fear index" was a bit meh.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎25‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 08:59, Haken said:

Now onto A Snowball in Hell by Christopher Brookmyre.  Haven't read much of his stuff, but it seems ok.

Finished ASiH and have decided Brookmyre's not for me.  Just don't like his style of writing, but can see why he's popular.

Onto Perfect Crime, the 5th in the DI Callanach series set in Edinburgh.  Decent.

On ‎10‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 14:24, Haken said:

Onto Perfect Crime, the 5th in the DI Callanach series set in Edinburgh.  Decent.

Finished PC.  It's a good crime series though nothing startlingly original.

Back onto the Chris Carter books with I Am Death the next one.  It'll be about a bolke who kills folk in novel ways.

Got a pile of slighlty more interesting books loaded onto the Kindle, but waiting for the hols in June.

Francis Albert

Arnhem. Anthony Beevor's history of the disastrous Allied paratrooper led  offensive in the Netherlands in 1944. The ego and arrogance of military leaders Montgomery in particular leading to the waste of so many young lives.

On 25/04/2019 at 10:45, superjack said:

Just ordered the holy sister by mark Lawrence, desperate to get it started as the first 2 books of the series are up there with my all time favourites.

Finally got round to reading this, wasnt disappointed in the slightest, I'm just sad that that is the last we will hear about Nona Grey / sister cage.

Diadora Van Basten
On 12/02/2019 at 17:04, Helzibob said:

I’m about to go on a 3 week holiday so any recommendations would be appreciated. Love a good murder book or anything weird and dystopian. 

How about 8 graves to Munich by Mario Puzo. A revenge story set after the end of world war 2 that is set in Hungary, Germany and Sicily. Not to long and perfect for holiday reading.

Diadora Van Basten
On 14/02/2019 at 09:23, Rhyncostar said:

For anyone into Greek Mythology, I'm currently half way through this and really enjoying it.  It's like the greatest hits of ancient Greeks.  Apparently it has feminist undertones but for me it's just a great story well told.  Enjoy and remember......Men can be feminists too!!   

Circe.jpg

I enjoyed Stephen Fry’s book Mythos the retelling of Greek mythology.

vladimator

Ben Shapiro - The Right Side of History. I have a feeling I may not like his answers but he sets out the problems very well.

been here before

Just finished reading this for about the 12th time...

0586090363.jpg.08162b89569ad0854991f22d0baebc9f.jpg

...there really are no superlatives grand enough for it.

And just started this for the first time...

two-miles-to-tynecastle.jpg.e02d2ee5ffa26f4099f7427e56ee35fd.jpg

...only a little into it but its good so far.

On ‎17‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 07:44, Haken said:

Finished PC.  It's a good crime series though nothing startlingly original.

Back onto the Chris Carter books with I Am Death the next one.  It'll be about a bolke who kills folk in novel ways.

Got a pile of slighlty more interesting books loaded onto the Kindle, but waiting for the hols in June.

Finished I Am Death.  It was okay though very much stuck to the Chris Carter Template.

As I'm sure will the next one, The Caller.  I've got nothing else to read before my hols.

Seymour M Hersh

th.jpeg

And it's a bit of a tome! Enjoying it though. I've been meaning to read it for years and just never got round to it. After seeing the movies first it's significantly different and obviously far more in depth. What an imagination Tolkien must have had.

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎30‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 14:11, Haken said:

As I'm sure will the next one, The Caller.  I've got nothing else to read before my hols.

Finished The Caller.

Now into Hunting Evil, which is the latest of the Robert Hunter books.  I'm pretty much at serial killer satiration point, but it's the only book I've got left that I've not read without jumping int oth eKindle downloads.  These books are fine if you don't want to have to think about plot too mcyh, and feature the world's stupidest police captain.

On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 14:46, Haken said:

Now into Hunting Evil, which is the latest of the Robert Hunter books.  I'm pretty much at serial killer satiration point, but it's the only book I've got left that I've not read without jumping int oth eKindle downloads.  These books are fine if you don't want to have to think about plot too mcyh, and feature the world's stupidest police captain.

Foinished HE and caved in and headed to Blackwells.  

Now reading In A House of Lies, the latest Rebus.

Behold America by Sarah Churchwell.

All about the history of the ideas around "American Dream" and "America First". Two phrases born in the early 20th century and its all about the tensions they've created.

Couple chapters in and it is fascinating stuff.

I've just got my hands on David Ashton's Inspector McLevy novels: crime mysteries set in 1860s Edinburgh. Anyone read them?

On 10/06/2019 at 14:46, Haken said:

Finished The Caller.

Just finished Hunting Evil and now half way through the newest Stuart MacBride, all that’s dead. They’re easy read, don’t involve too much brain power but enjoyable. 

17 hours ago, Helzibob said:

Just finished Hunting Evil and now half way through the newest Stuart MacBride, all that’s dead. They’re easy read, don’t involve too much brain power but enjoyable. 

I think I read too many of the RH books too close together.

• 1 month later...

Holiday reading done:

I Know Who You Are by Alice Feeney - an ok holiday read, bit of a far fethched Richard n Judy Bookclub type thriller - 3.5/5

Don't Look Back by Ben Cheetham - again, ok.  99p on Amazon so can't complain.  A haunted housey sort of read - 3/5

Wool by Hugh Howey - post apocalypse with the humans living in a vertivcal underground cylinder called the Silo.  Almost gave up after 100 pages but stuck it out.  Tiurned out ok but probably won't be bothering with the other 2 books which follow it - 3/5

The Outcasts of Time by Dan Mortimer - intrquing concept where two brothers who have contracted the plague in the 15 century are given the chance to spend their remaining six days of life living them on the same day each year, with each day being 99 years forward in time.  The idea was better than the execution, but decent enough - 3.5/5

The Enemy by Charlie Higson - got this on Kindle when I saw it for 99p.  Charlie Higson the comdian has written a series of YAF where the adults have some disease (making them into zombies, more or less) and the 14 year olds and under are left to survive.  Half way through it and it's ok.  

tokyowalnut

Don't read as much as I'd like to during the week, listen to audiobooks but it's not the same.

Just back from holiday, managed 6 books in 12 days, loved it.

The Dead Tracks by Tim Weaver
Missing persons investigator, easy, short chapters that keep you gripped. Part of a series.
3.5/5

The Outsider by Stephen King
A wordy thriller about a murder and the prime suspect being in 2 places at once. Was good, supernatural element to it that isnt usually my thing, but got through it quickly. He writes a lot of words!!
3.5/5

Bridge of Clay by Markus Zusak
Excellent. A slow, gentle moving story about the relationship between 5 brothers. The Book Thief is my favourite book, this follow up book has taken 10 years, well worth it. Not my usual thriller!
5/5

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
Another excellent read. Black kid gets shot by white policeman. Riots. Tough read at times, but I suppose you want emotion from books now and again. Will watch the movie now.
4.5/5

The Venetian Masquerade by Philip Gwynne Jones
Part of a series involving an English translator in Venice. Someone is murdered, his business card is found on the dead guys body, he investigates it. Kind of like a Scooby Doo mystery, easy and entertaining read.
3.5/5

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
Started and finished this on the flight home. Story about a 15 year old boy with Asperger's, narrated by him. Finds his neighbours dog murdered in the garden, sets out to solve the mystery. What an excellent book. Anyone that likes reading should give this a shot, 300 easy pages.
4.5/5

On 23/05/2019 at 20:45, been here before said:

Just finished reading this for about the 12th time...

0586090363.jpg.08162b89569ad0854991f22d0baebc9f.jpg

...there really are no superlatives grand enough for it.

And just started this for the first time...

two-miles-to-tynecastle.jpg.e02d2ee5ffa26f4099f7427e56ee35fd.jpg

...only a little into it but its good so far.

Sure the author used to be on here.

Rupert Pupkin

Recently ploughed my way thru these.

Love a bit of John LeCarre’ and George Smiley.

A Call For The Dead

A Murder Of Quality

The Spy Who Came In From The Cold

The Looking Glass War

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

The Honourable Schoolboy

Smiley’s People 

A Legacy of Spies.

Rupert Pupkin
22 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Sure the author used to be on here.

He did indeed. “Buffalo Bill”

Edited by Rupert Pupkin

Shanks said no

The Cabin at the End of the World by Paul G. Tremblay

I have rarely hated a book as much but I kept reading, an utter waste of time. It took me 3 weeks to get it over with, I had read about 7 books in the 2 weeks before.

Started reading Dry Hard by Nick Spalding on the train to Inverness this morning, superb laugh out loud fun and a little bit close to home......

Transcendental

Just finished Booker winner 2008, ‘The White Tiger’

Very easy but thought provoking read, a study of psychopathy honed by poverty in the ‘Darkness’ of India’s slums. 

Edited by Transcendental

CF11JamTart

Reading  "Das Boot". It's  good, but a bit of a slog at times.

Recently finished "Detroit 67" by Stuart Cosgrove. Superb book... music and social history.

16 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

The Cabin at the End of the World by Paul G. Tremblay

I have rarely hated a book as much but I kept reading, an utter waste of time. It took me 3 weeks to get it over with, I had read about 7 books in the 2 weeks before.

Started reading Dry Hard by Nick Spalding on the train to Inverness this morning, superb laugh out loud fun and a little bit close to home......

I really like THCatEotW.  Tremblay won't be everyone's cup of tea, possibly because he leaves an awful lot to the reader to decide.  That's what I like about him.  So the question in Cabin - Are they telling the truth or are they mad? - is never really resolved.  You make up your own mind.  His earlier two are in a similar vein, so you hsould probably best avoid them.

Edited by Haken

Shanks said no
13 minutes ago, Haken said:

I really like THCatEotW.  Tremblay won't be everyone's cup of tea, possibly because he leaves an awful lot to the reader to decide.  That's what I like about him.  So the question in Cabin - Are they telling the truth or are they mad? - is never really resolved.  You make up your own mind.  His earlier two are in a similar vein, so you hsould probably best avoid them.

It was your recommendation that made me buy it!

after reading so many diverse books in 2 weeks it was as if I developed readers block. I was determined to finish it to see who was telling the truth........ Not everyone is going to like every book / author