The what are you reading at the moment fred

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Shanks said no

Finished Harry Hole 5, the Devils Star by Jo Nesbo, middle 20-80% I couldn’t put down,  disappointing start and finish 

now onto Ken Follett Code to Zero, I am reading all of his back catalogue 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Haken

• dougal

• Gigolo-Aunt

• Coco

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On ‎16‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 17:19, superjack said:

I've been reading the sorcerers ring series by Morgan Rice, just finished the 12th book. When I downloaded them, they are sold as trilogys , but each individual book isn't that long so each trilogy feels like 1 book. Really enjoying the series. The target age group is probably teens but I just can't stop reading them.

For my next read, I've just downloaded a few Shaun Hutson books, not sure which 1 to start with, but I've always enjoyed his books.

Shaun Hutson is a legend!

I'm about to re-read Graham Masterton -  The Hell Candidate . it was out of print for a while but has been re-released

2 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

Shaun Hutson is a legend!

I'm about to re-read Graham Masterton -  The Hell Candidate . it was out of print for a while but has been re-released

I'll check out Graham masterton next then.

Turned out I read all of the Hutson books I downloaded. Just glad I realised after only a few pages.

29 minutes ago, superjack said:

I'll check out Graham masterton next then.

Turned out I read all of the Hutson books I downloaded. Just glad I realised after only a few pages.

Try Weaveworld by Clive Barker,

or The Thief of Always ( a dark kids story but truly excellent) 

both better than Hellraiser.

The Omen is also awesome, it’s follow up Legion is OK.

You read Dracula? Fab!

The Bachman Books too ( before he was Steve King)

4 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

Try Weaveworld by Clive Barker,

or The Thief of Always ( a dark kids story but truly excellent) 

both better than Hellraiser.

The Omen is also awesome, it’s follow up Legion is OK.

You read Dracula? Fab!

The Bachman Books too ( before he was Steve King)

I tried weaveworld a few years ago but I just couldn't get into it. I loved hellraiser. The omen sounds like a good shout as I loved the story in the film, and let's face it, most times the film is basically a trailer for a book.

I never considered Dracula before though, might try it as well.

This is why this is my favourite thread, I've had some amazing books recommended to me.

1 minute ago, superjack said:

I tried weaveworld a few years ago but I just couldn't get into it. I loved hellraiser. The omen sounds like a good shout as I loved the story in the film, and let's face it, most times the film is basically a trailer for a book.

This is why this is my favourite thread, I've had some amazing books recommended to me.

I came late to Dracula , but always been an avid reader, James Herbert ,  Koontz, 

Dracula is a masterpiece.

As well as Horror, also a big fan of historical fiction and thrillers.

just finished the Cicero trilogy by Robert Harris.

On 30/11/2018 at 20:33, Konrad von Carstein said:

This was a fantastic read...turning into a Conn Iggulden groupie..

image.png.21b3e9356bd01824f3afb9b5f026e393.png

His worst book - though still good!

the Darian books are ace!

As are the Khan books and Caesar books.

Konrad von Carstein
8 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

His worst book - though still good!

the Darian books are ace!

As are the Khan books and Caesar books.

I read the Caesar books in a oner...brilliant read!

1 hour ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

I read the Caesar books in a oner...brilliant read!

Indeed, If you are a fan the Robert Harris Cicero trilogy is better, and covers Caesar from a different view

Konrad von Carstein
1 minute ago, doctor jambo said:

Indeed, If you are a fan the Robert Harris Cicero trilogy is better, and covers Caesar from a different view

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll put it on my "to read" list....

• 2 weeks later...
Shanks said no

Just finished Code to Zero by Ken Follett and I couldn't put it down, stormed through it. Easy read

now onto Munich by Robert Harris

Another recommendation for the Robert Harris Cicero trilogy

Currently on a Brian Clough biography. 

Guy had a high opinion of himself (winning me the most-obvious-statement in the 2019 JKB awards) but has this curious habit of persistently referring to Hartlepools and Hartlepools United.

On ‎14‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 14:23, Haken said:

Finished The Crucifix Killer, which was okay and an easy enough read.  Anyone with half a brain will work out who the killer is about half way through, though.

Am now re-reading Ghostwritten by David Mitchell, just because it's magic.

Ooft, fallen behind on this one.

Finished Ghostwritten and it was still magic.  Actually felt I got a lot more out of it on the second read.  

After that I read The Woman in the Window by A J Finn.  It was really good with plenty of twists (some more obvious than others).  Maybe a bit of a weak ending, but decent overall.

Then read Parallel Lines by R J Mitchell.  This was a Christmas present - cop story set in Glasgow.  Absolutely awful and will remember this when reciprocating next Christmas.

On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 19:18, superjack said:

On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 19:24, doctor jambo said:

I came late to Dracula , but always been an avid reader, James Herbert ,  Koontz, 

Dracula is a masterpiece.

As well as Horror, also a big fan of historical fiction and thrillers.

just finished the Cicero trilogy by Robert Harris.

Weaveworld is amazing, but you kind of have to let yourself just get lost in Barker's imagination and go with it.  Imajica is also very good.

Dracula is a must for any bona fide horror fan.  He has a mustache in the book.  Stephen King copied this description for the vampire, Barlow, in 'Salem's Lot.  And then when they came to make the TV serialisation of 'Salem's Lot, they decided an old guy with a white mustache wasn't scary enough so they basically recreated Nosferatu.

On ‎19‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 21:12, The Frenchman Returns said:

Just finished Code to Zero by Ken Follett and I couldn't put it down, stormed through it. Easy read

now onto Munich by Robert Harris

Another recommendation for the Robert Harris Cicero trilogy

Munich is superb,

as is Archangel-

both are fascinating from a historical context

Shanks said no
4 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

Munich is superb,

as is Archangel-

Agreed, think all I have to read by him is Enigma, the Fear Index and Ghost (have it in paperback but tend to be using my Kindle all the time). I would also recommend Conclave which is set around electing a pope

Spoiler

Not long finished 'The Force' by Don Winslow, now reading 'The Cartel, same author.  Both excellent.

There's no spoiler!!!

Edited by tokyowalnut

On ‎23‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 12:12, Haken said:

Started Bird Box, which has been filmed for Netflix.  Just started and pretty good so far.

Bird Box was pretty decent.  Quite a short book.  I'll see what they've done to it film-wise; I imagine they'll have felt a bit of pressure to visualise the threat, something taht was left to the reader's imagination in the book.

Now onto Watching You by Lisa Jewell.  Feels a bit like the sort of thing the Richard and Judy book club would select, but it was only 99p on the Kindle (as was Bird Box) so no major financial risk involved.

Craig Gordons Gloves

My 'to read' pile next to my bed is slowly being dented after the influx over Christmas. 

Recently finished Not Famous by Matthew Hanover, Nick Hornby esque book, relatively decent but was probably 100 pages too long tbh.

Also recently read Kaiser, The Greatest Footballer Never to Play Football which was quite an amusing book about a Brazilian footballer who has been on the books of all the major Brazilian clubs but never really played in a game.

Been getting into the Lin Anderson Rhona McLeod series, so far so good, Scottish crime novels which are my favored genre. 

I've got Ambrose Parry (Chris Brookmyre and his Wife Marisa Haetzman) The Way of The Flesh in my to read pile, looking forward to that too. 

Shanks said no

Finished Munich by Robert Harris in record time for me, could not put it down. Did my best not to use google too much to check out the timeline etc. Great book.

Now onto Gray Mountain by John Grisham and it has got off to a promising start.

On ‎29‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 08:45, Haken said:

Now onto Watching You by Lisa Jewell.  Feels a bit like the sort of thing the Richard and Judy book club would select, but it was only 99p on the Kindle (as was Bird Box) so no major financial risk involved.

Watching You was very R&J, sort of thiing you'd read by the pool on holiday.  It was actually ok, but mainly concerned with painting every single character as a possible perpatrator.  

Now reading Dark Pines by Will Dean, Scandi crime but written by an English fella.  MC is a deaf female reporter (but can hear to an extent usng hearing aids).  About half way through, it's quite slow but pretty decent.  Shades of Twin Peaks but ina Swedish forest.

On 02/12/2018 at 19:10, Jamhammer said:

image.jpeg.d859b090bc8aca1b923bbdc461cfc300.jpeg

Interesting

Just finishing Yuval Noah Harari's 21 Lessons for the 21st Century, which is *ahem* a tad apocalyptic in parts. 

And about to launch into Titeann Rudaí as a Chéile, a translation into Irish of Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart.  I've never read the book in English, so I won't be able to say if it's a good translation.  :help:

Салатные палочки

Currently reading Phoenix: Policing the Shadows.  Story of Ian Phoenix, who was killed in the Mull of Kintyre helicopter crash in 1994, and his work with the RUC special branch in NI in the 70's/80's.  Had read Stakeknife over Christmas and the author had recommended this and Martin McGartland's book.  McGartland's was really enjoyable and I got through it in a week travelling to and from work. 

Picked up a good few second hand books from Amazon on the conflict recently.  Contact by AFN Clarke arrived yesterday (in mint condition) and The Dirty War by Martin Dillon came today.  Dillon's books are quite heavy reading but his knowledge of the conflict is pretty much second to none. 

On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 15:44, Haken said:

Now reading Dark Pines by Will Dean, Scandi crime but written by an English fella.  MC is a deaf female reporter (but can hear to an extent usng hearing aids).  About half way through, it's quite slow but pretty decent.  Shades of Twin Peaks but ina Swedish forest.

Dark Pines was ok.  It remained quite slow up to the end.  I see there's a second book featuring the same character, but I won't rush to get it.

Now onto The Executioner, the second in the Robert Hunter (LAPD) series.  Mindless entertainment.

Edited by Haken

3 hours ago, Helzibob said:

I’m about to go on a 3 week holiday so any recommendations would be appreciated. Love a good murder book or anything weird and dystopian. 

Try the painted man trilogy by Peter J Brett.

I’m about halfway through ‘You Could Do Something Amazing With Your Life [You Are Raoul Moat]’ by Andrew Hankinson. It’s a really engaging read, all written in the second person which puts you in Moats shoes... if you like that sort of thing! 

For anyone into Greek Mythology, I'm currently half way through this and really enjoying it.  It's like the greatest hits of ancient Greeks.  Apparently it has feminist undertones but for me it's just a great story well told.  Enjoy and remember......Men can be feminists too!!   

Circe.jpg

On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 12:10, Haken said:

Now onto The Executioner, the second in the Robert Hunter (LAPD) series.  Mindless entertainment.

Finished The Executioner.  Decent thriller sort of in the style of James Paterson.  My daughter's currently reading the next one in the series so I'll be on that in a week or two.

Now onto Scrublands by Chris Hammer, which is another 99p Kindle effort.  Set in Australia during a particularly hot summer, it sees a reporter revisiting the scene of a mass shooting one year on.  Very impressed with the writing in the first few chapters.

Francis Albert
On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 09:23, Rhyncostar said:

For anyone into Greek Mythology, I'm currently half way through this and really enjoying it.  It's like the greatest hits of ancient Greeks.  Apparently it has feminist undertones but for me it's just a great story well told.  Enjoy and remember......Men can be feminists too!!   

Circe.jpg

Can't say I have ever been into Greek mythology but I recently read Pat Barker's "The SIlence of the Girls", a retelling of the siege of Troy  and enjoyed it. It has more than feminist "undertones" as much of the story is told from the perspective of the women involved (captured in war and enslaved) but the Guardian review describing it as a "feminist Iliad" is simplistic since the relations between the men and women are far from an "us vs them" narrative.

Edited by Francis Albert

Francis Albert

Just finished "The Age of American Unreason"  by Susan Jacoby, about the comprehensive (and accelerating) dumbing down of American culture and politics (indeed American life) over the last five or six decades. For anyone wanting to understand how America ended up with Trump it is revealing.The book was published in 2008 and ends on an optimistic note with the hope that Obama's election might see a turning point in the alarming decline in American political discourse, which is ironic and depressing given where we are now. (A lot of it is relevant also to he UK and where we are now).

Shanks said no
On 22/01/2019 at 14:50, doctor jambo said:

Munich is superb,

as is Archangel-

This popped into my inbox

THE NEW THRILLER FROM THE BESTSELLING AUTHOR OF MUNICH, CONCLAVE AND AN OFFICER AND A SPY

Late one afternoon in April in the Year of Our Risen Lord 1468 a solitary traveller was to be observed picking his way on horseback across the wild moorland of that ancient region of south-western England known since Saxon times as Wessex..

The Second Sleep by Robert Harris

Going to the beach in 3 weeks so will treat myself and report back

Edit - only available on pre order and not released until August

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎20‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 12:07, Haken said:

Finished The Executioner.  Decent thriller sort of in the style of James Paterson.  My daughter's currently reading the next one in the series so I'll be on that in a week or two.

Now onto Scrublands by Chris Hammer, which is another 99p Kindle effort.  Set in Australia during a particularly hot summer, it sees a reporter revisiting the scene of a mass shooting one year on.  Very impressed with the writing in the first few chapters.

Scrublands was very good, though maybe a bit long-winded in the eventual denouement.  Absolute steal at 99p.  

And now onto The NIght Stalker by Chris Carter, the third outing for LA Detective Robert Hunter.  Paint by numbers stuff, but entertaining enough all the same.

steviefrailspants
On 14/02/2019 at 11:07, Ray Gin said:

51Zp2PkPeCL._SY346_.jpg

Just over half way through. Pretty decent so far.

Fantastic book. Some story the guy had - almost to the point of being unbelievable at some times. Wouldn’t be surprised if they make this particular story into a film.

2 minutes ago, steviefrailspants said:

Fantastic book. Some story the guy had - almost to the point of being unbelievable at some times. Wouldn’t be surprised if they make this particular story into a film.

Yeah seemingly dubious in places

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/dec/07/the-tattooist-of-auschwitz-attacked-as-inauthentic-by-camp-memorial-centre

Decent read though. 

Quite annoyed with myself. Someone on here, I think, recommended the throne of glass series by Sarah J Maas. First book was amazing. Started the second book and felt there was a good chunk of the story missing between the books, but you eventually caught up.

Went to download the third book, turned out that was the book I read.

Don't think I'll read the second now though.

Now reading the fourth book and it's just as good as the first.

Edited by superjack

On ‎04‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 12:06, Haken said:

And now onto The NIght Stalker by Chris Carter, the third outing for LA Detective Robert Hunter.  Paint by numbers stuff, but entertaining enough all the same. 

The Night Stalker was pretty good.  My daughter's lapping them up, too, and has the next two or three in the serious ordered.

Trying something called Survive by David Haynes, which is horror, apparently.  Set in Alaska, it involves a remote cabin populated by two people and a dug.  The first chapter was laughably gratuitous, but we'll see how it goes.  99p on the Kindle, it's hardly high risk.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 13:24, Haken said:

The Night Stalker was pretty good.  My daughter's lapping them up, too, and has the next two or three in the serious ordered.

Trying something called Survive by David Haynes, which is horror, apparently.  Set in Alaska, it involves a remote cabin populated by two people and a dug.  The first chapter was laughably gratuitous, but we'll see how it goes.  99p on the Kindle, it's hardly high risk.

Finished Survive.  Amateur hour stuff, though can't really complain at 99p.  Though it will be the last 99p I spend on a David Haynes book, and he appears to have quite a few.

Back onto the next in the Robert Hunter Series of LAPD investigations.  This time, The Death Sculptor.  Pretty gruesome stuff but mind-numbingly easy to read, which is always a good thing when you use Scotrail on a daily basis.

Almost finished Poverty Safari. Great book.

Have Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and Behold America lined up next.

Hugh Phamism

Just finished the newest Logan McRae, and really enjoyed it. The series started off very good, but got a bit pish. McBride now back on top form with this latest adventure.

51CgOApFcsL.jpg

19 hours ago, JamboX2 said:

Almost finished Poverty Safari. Great book.

Have Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and Behold America lined up next.

I love the Smiley books and how they're the absolute antithesis of the James Bond type spy thriller.  

1 hour ago, Haken said:

I love the Smiley books and how they're the absolute antithesis of the James Bond type spy thriller.  

Have read A Call For the Dead and The Spy Who Came in from the Cold so I'm really looking forward to this.

Spy Who Came in from the Cold was brilliant.

14 hours ago, JamboX2 said:

Have read A Call For the Dead and The Spy Who Came in from the Cold so I'm really looking forward to this.

Spy Who Came in from the Cold was brilliant.

A Perfect Spy is really good, too.  Based very much on Le Carre's relatinship with his father.

Reading The Pied Piper by Neville Shute.  Written during WW2 and set during WW2.  Some interesting historical perspectives throughout the novel.  Not a great book, but ok.  I liked A Town Like Alice and this has a similar style and feel.

On ‎19‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 13:57, Haken said:

Back onto the next in the Robert Hunter Series of LAPD investigations.  This time, The Death Sculptor.  Pretty gruesome stuff but mind-numbingly easy to read, which is always a good thing when you use Scotrail on a daily basis.

Finished The Death Sculptor.  This was the 4th in the series and, by this time, you kind of know the formula.

Before taking on the fifth, I'm re-reading Number 9 Dream by David MItchell.