Top Posters In This Topic

• Haken

• dougal

• Gigolo-Aunt

• Coco

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just dandering through Dune at the mo.

Boof minimus read it and passed it on to me. Started it, thought it wasn't great so gave up. Went to see film and decided to give it another go.

1 hour ago, Boof said:

Just dandering through Dune at the mo.

Boof minimus read it and passed it on to me. Started it, thought it wasn't great so gave up. Went to see film and decided to give it another go.

I read Dune earlier this year. I found it pretty boring for the first 450 or so pages and then the last 100 or so was very entertaining.  Overall though not enough to make me want to read anymore of them. 

Not my usual fare. I found it quite tricky to form especially the science. Not sure if I'll bother with the other 2 books of the series.

519VwJATFyL.jpg

Geddyalexneil
On 20/10/2021 at 22:15, muldoon74 said:

Yep.. Pre covid taxi driver with a degree in sport and exercise science, couldn't get a job in it so carried on (highly reluctantly and despondantly) taxiing. 

Got a job in a warehouse when covid hit, a year later I was still there and they advertised for van drivers for the actual company. 6 months on from that they're putting us through class 2 to become drivers for them (have to stay for 2 years or else pay training costs back). 

Sorry for the long winded reply but when I answer a question, I answer a question! 😂

You like to answer a question. You like to do so fully. Just as well you didn't go into politics😀.

Good luck with the test/exam.

On 21/10/2021 at 21:36, Konrad von Carstein said:

I'm coming to the end of the Gaius Valerius Verrens Hero of Rome series by Douglas Jackson and in need of a change from Roman historical fiction.

How highly would you guys recommend this series of books?

Just finished the first two of Douglas Jackson's books, Caligula & Claudius, are the rest any good?

Usually read historical fiction like Ben Hope, Sean Wyatt type of books, however having a break from them and reading this the now, just started it and it will take me a while.

roman-britain-guy-de-la-bedoyere-9780500291146.jpg.7fad71e333143a77f9f51db0ef3c5827.jpg

I'm not a big reader. A few pages every night to help me get to sleep.

Thanks to this thread a good while back (Summer 2020) I bought a book and forgot all about it. I found it in my book pile.

Seen someone reading it whilst on holiday last month and thought to myself that I must get round to buying it.:lol:

I am Pilgrim (Terry Hayes)

Absolutely loving it.

Konrad von Carstein
On 04/12/2021 at 18:32, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Just finished the first two of Douglas Jackson's books, Caligula & Claudius, are the rest any good?

Usually read historical fiction like Ben Hope, Sean Wyatt type of books, however having a break from them and reading this the now, just started it and it will take me a while.

roman-britain-guy-de-la-bedoyere-9780500291146.jpg.7fad71e333143a77f9f51db0ef3c5827.jpg

I like them, a decent set of  stories, I got quite invested in the lead character, there are enough historical references to get you googling and fact checking....give  Hero of Rome a try (the first Gaius Valerius Verrens book) Usually deals on Kindle...

Салатные палочки

Wee heads up, Elton John's 'Me' is 99p on Amazon for the Kindle edition today. 

1399183279_Screenshot_20211214-132314_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.e603145c52dab7bfb1d650acf5fa1a35.jpg

On 05/12/2021 at 22:16, Konrad von Carstein said:

I like them, a decent set of  stories, I got quite invested in the lead character, there are enough historical references to get you googling and fact checking....give  Hero of Rome a try (the first Gaius Valerius Verrens book) Usually deals on Kindle...

The second book 'Claudius' is about the invasion of Britain, the book I'm reading now is about Roman Britain and the first few chapters deal with the invasion and all the names dates places even down to the war elephants are all correct in Jackson's book, so the guy's done his research.

Will probably give the Hero of Rome series a try, once I read the book I'm on. 👍

Konrad von Carstein
2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The second book 'Claudius' is about the invasion of Britain, the book I'm reading now is about Roman Britain and the first few chapters deal with the invasion and all the names dates places even down to the war elephants are all correct in Jackson's book, so the guy's done his research.

Will probably give the Hero of Rome series a try, once I read the book I'm on. 👍

I'm sure you'll enjoy them. Simon Scarrow's Under the Eagles series had me hooked from the 1st chapter of the 1st book!

Kim Stanley Robinson's epic Red/Green/Blue Mars Trilogy.

Huge books, but enthralling.

Plenty of hard science to go with the political manoeuvrings and action/adventure stuff.

Mars_trilogy.jpg

Rupert Pupkin

Just finished this, brilliant  read if you are into the Dance Scene... Interviews and perspectives from all involved from the pirate days, to them becoming a fully legal DAB station.

Always knew Andy Swallow and his mates were West Ham boys, but never knew they actually started the ICF.. 
Great insight into how the casual scene disappeared into raving.

EEB3256D-055F-4FFE-9D48-DDEB092383F3.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/11/2021 at 18:36, dougal said:

Not my usual type of book but I thought it was fantastic.

9781472223821.jpg

Just bought that among Mme. U's Christmas presents.

32%2Bwords%2Bfield.jpeg&f=1&nofb=1

Not for everyone, but I have a strong interest in the Irish language so I'm finding it fascinating.  We do actually have (at least) 32 words for field.

Francis Albert
28 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Just bought that among Mme. U's Christmas presents.

Good luck. Really struggled with it and gave up after a hundred pages or so. 

Edited by Francis Albert

Who Killed John Lennon? : The lives, loves and deaths of the greatest rock  star: Lesley-Ann Jones: 9781789464191: hive.co.ukThe title it totally misleading.

An absolutely fascinating biography about a genius who acheived world fame in the face of incredible odds.  Would definitley recommend it. 

The Natural Order

After seeing to film I decided to give Dune a go. It's really dull and I'm struggling to get through it but I never start a book and don't finish it. Won't be reading the rest of the series.

17 hours ago, The Natural Order said:

After seeing to film I decided to give Dune a go. It's really dull and I'm struggling to get through it but I never start a book and don't finish it. Won't be reading the rest of the series.

If memory serves the book is around 500 plus pages long. I was the same, didn't enjoy it apart from the last 100 pages or so. Saying that I didn't let it fool me and as such I too won't be reading any of the other Dune books.

On 05/01/2022 at 19:49, tedarmy said:

started this today :thumbsup:

robbo.jpg

The early chapters about his school football are boring as hell.

Loved the stuff around his move to Newcastle - real surprise in store there around where he could've gone. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not my usual type of book but I thought it was excellent.  Would definitely recommend it. This is the first of a trilogy. Think it would make a cracking TV show.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRavcWZyotolI400LqFc__

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

This good?

Heard it’s pretty dark

Aye, it's a good read. 

He does tell all in the book so it is dark in places.