• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Haken

• dougal

• Gigolo-Aunt

• Coco

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now started reading a series of books called the magelands epic. I think the author must either live in Edinburgh or at least have connections to it. Been reading the format book for a couple of days now and already there has been mention of slateford and juniper green. Not the actual aces we know, but somewhere fictitious in the books.

Starting to get into it quite quick as well.

Inspector Villiers

Just started Ken Follet's, The pillars of the earth. I've owned this book for about 10 years and keep putting it off due to (a) Its enormous and (b) its about the construction of a cathedral?

On 20/05/2020 at 13:28, Jamhammer said:

Just finished Stephen King's Doctor Sleep. Haven't read one of his for a wee while but really enjoyed it

I like King, but his books can be hit or miss. I really enjoyed  11.22.63 and my favourite is The Stand. 

• 4 weeks later...
Shanks said no
On 30/06/2020 at 23:35, Inspector Villiers said:

Just started Ken Follet's, The pillars of the earth. I've owned this book for about 10 years and keep putting it off due to (a) Its enormous and (b) its about the construction of a cathedral?

Hope you enjoyed, there are further books and a prequel due soon

anyway just finished the very cheery

My Name Is...
by

Alastair Campbell 

Campbell obviously uses his own experience with alcohol to tell the story of a troubled teenage  girl. For personal reasons it was a pretty tough read for me and I had put off reading it for quite a while. Wouldn't say read it, its great but it does hit the mark in many ways.

Back to war of the roses now

• 1 month later...
Shanks said no

Ravenspur: Rise of the Tudors (The Wars of the Roses)

By

Conn Iggulden

last book of the four and another thoroughly good historical novel. Have downloaded another set of his books but am reading something lighter for now.

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

On 07/04/2020 at 22:07, Flimsy said:

On a mission to read 52 books in 2020. 16 down so far and the lockdown is helping.

Set myself a target of 45 back on January 1st but lockdown has helped immensely.  Just finished my 56th book of the year so far. Cut and Run by Jeff Abbot. Not too bad 7/10. Not sure what I'll start next. Got tons to choose from.

On 30/06/2020 at 23:35, Inspector Villiers said:

Absolutely loved this book. While the premise doesn't sound too intriguing it's a very enjoyable read. The next two are good too but not as good as The Pillars of the Earth. They're worth reading though.

Just finished

A Game Of Birds and Wolves 

it’s about the battle of the Atlantic and the use of tactics , we’ll worth a read 

The_Burning_Land_Cover.jpg

Started this. 5th book in the series. Up to the same high standard as the previous 4.

Edited by dougal

On 07/09/2020 at 14:59, The Frenchman Returns said:

Ravenspur: Rise of the Tudors (The Wars of the Roses)

By

Conn Iggulden

last book of the four and another thoroughly good historical novel. Have downloaded another set of his books but am reading something lighter for now.

I've not long started Stormbird, the first in the series and thoroughly enjoying it. Thanks for the recommendation. 👍

11 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

I've not long started Stormbird, the first in the series and thoroughly enjoying it. Thanks for the recommendation. 👍

Reading “the gates of Athens “ at the moment.

excellent also

Shanks said no
12 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

Reading “the gates of Athens “ at the moment.

excellent also

I have the Falcon of Sparta and the Conqueror series sitting on my kindle, need to find some time to sit back and read them (missing holidays!)

Just now, jonesy said:

Not really. If you revel in ignorance, then books probably aren't for you.

Revel's mate, now yer talking, anyone that think the coffee ones are shite can gtf. 

3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

You can read the back of the packet. I dare you.

And yes, the coffee ones are good. The orange ones are for deviants only.

I'm looking for a novel to get stuck into - can anyone recommend anything like a modern day Robinson Crusoe type of thing?

Have you not tried interactive type things? get yourself an xbox, good for the brain and hand to eye coordination, you'd be surprised by the amount of effort put into some of the titles. 

Just now, jonesy said:

I play Mario Kart on the Wii with my two Primary School-aged sons from time to time - after half an hour video games bore me to tears. Computer games best left to kids, in my opinion.

Anyway, this is a book thread, and very useful one for those of us looking for recommendations, so will leave this chat there. Don't wish to derail an excellent 10 year old thread.

Aye, i'm talking about big boy games, 18 rated ****ers with plenty of reading on the go. 

But yes, i realise that you're set in your ways. 

Good luck with the books mate. 

Shanks said no

image.jpeg.edaeda58d42e914f1879746df09dfa4a.jpeg
David Baldacci - The Winner

Decent piece of junk fiction. Bit of trailer trash wins the US lottery in suspicious circumstances. Interesting to think what would you do? Also now know how you fix the draw.

Not long started Sir Walter Scott's  The Heart of Midlothian. ( Yes I know it's not about us !)

Bloody hard going, but sticking with it. Have any of you guys read it ? I've only read 40 odd pages so far.

71NezHUDU7L.jpg

Just started this. Will be over the top and far fetched like his other books, but should be enjoyable and a relatively quick read.

On 10/10/2020 at 21:24, jonesy said:

Looking for something to download onto my Kindle for the next few days. Is this a page-turner?

It was okay but a bit far fetched. Enjoyable enough, probably a 6.5/10 at best. Best book I've read recently was The Cartel by Don Winslow. It's the middle book in his trilogy. The Power of the Dog is the first book and it's worth downloading if you haven't already read it.

10 hours ago, jonesy said:

Cheers dougal, will investigate and report back!

PS Love it when you post. Not necessarily for the content, but for your avatar ;) 

No worries 👍

Shanks said no

51XJ7ZA9OtL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg51E17SVYsGL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Been having trouble sleeping so gave these two a reading. American South around the Civil War. Pretty standard fayre, nothing too heavy or exciting, probably for the ladies. Gave a bit of an insight into the bitterness of the defeated but written from a victors perspective.

6/10

18928275.jpg

Finished this yesterday.  Wasn't up to much. Worst of the five I've read.

Started this and it's typical Dirk Pitt. Hundred miles an hour and a little far fetched but enjoyable.

51v+AqLOM3L.jpg

• 2 months later...

Anyone read that one by Richard Osman? Seen it yesterday and lots of good reviews but just wondered if anyone on here had read it. Thursday Murder Club I think it's called.

Would recommend either of the Ambrose Parry. Crime/ mystery set in 19th century Edinburgh with real historical places and people but obviously fictionalised. Writers are actually Christopher Brookmyre and Marisa Haetzman. 

the_way_of_all_flesh-paperback-cover-978

Rupert Pupkin

Currently reading “The Last Days of Purgatory” - The Martian Apocalypse of Victorian London.. by C.A.Powell.

Was surprised to see Hearts mentioned, also a reference to them winning a “Big Cup” being Champions, and when they were down playing Woolich Arsenal, They won 5-1..

Think the author is a secret Jambo..😂😂😂

F0191B38-A46C-4E2B-ABEB-961A15F54374.jpeg

Edited by Rupert Pupkin

On 04/10/2020 at 14:18, dougal said:

71NezHUDU7L.jpg

Just started this. Will be over the top and far fetched like his other books, but should be enjoyable and a relatively quick read.

Ive liked a few of his books.

You tried Andy McDermott's books. Chase/wild series. Starting with hunt for Atlantis.

Brilliant escapism and adventure

Got quite a few round about Christmas time

Born to run - c McDougall

Mountain Vision - Jeff Evans

Can't hurt me - David Goggins

All outdoorsy/motivational but from what I've got through so far very enjoyable

12 hours ago, Alan_R said:

Ive liked a few of his books.

You tried Andy McDermott's books. Chase/wild series. Starting with hunt for Atlantis.

Brilliant escapism and adventure

I have read a couple of them. Did enjoy them. Got a couple more to read as well. There's quite a few similar style of books out there if you're looking for more of the same.

Scott Mariani's Ben Hope series, Matthew Reilly's Jack West Jr series and Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt series are all worth reading. 

• 4 weeks later...

Rowain Flynn's Fictions | Royal Road

Well worth telling your female family and friends about too, and a fascinating insight into novels as they are being written - with the opportunity to give feedback to the author.

Best of all, she's a Jambo, and posts here sometimes (usually the Biden thread).

Here's the home page for her novels too

Home | Rowain Flynn (wixsite.com)

Edited by Captain Slog