The what are you reading at the moment fred

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I liked this one by the same author

31ng43RGCrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Will check that out.

thumbsup.gif

Have you read this? Think it would be right up your street, Coco. Loads of pages dedicated to some fine fine bands.

156935.jpg

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Haken

• dougal

• Gigolo-Aunt

• Coco

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dusk_Till_Dawn

After all the hype I'm finally getting started on this series.

The%20Girl%20with%20the%20Dragon%20Tattoo%20(Millennium%20Trilogy%20Book%201).jpg

I appreciate that I'm swimming against the tide here but you'll be sorely disappointed IMO. Each book could have been cut by 200 pages and the plot is pretty shite. Look out for the 10 page description of the bird with the enter the dragon tattoo buying furniture from ikea.

Enjoy

Looking forward to it. :thumbsup:

just finished hellrazor by neil ruddock. pretty good. knew most of the stories

just started fawlty towers. great stuff-i`ll have to get the dvd looked out

51jzBWSMJNL__BO2204203200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-clickTopRight35-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Taking some time out from The Savage Detectives, which is becoming a long-term project. I've been meaning to read Child 44 for some time now as it came highly recommended. It certainly passes the unputdownability test, being both exciting and interesting. The plot, though, is preposterous, and it's fairly easy to work out the identity of the murderer from a very early stage. Very decent thriller despite the faults.

Will check that out.

thumbsup.gif

Have you read this? Think it would be right up your street, Coco. Loads of pages dedicated to some fine fine bands.

156935.jpg

:thumb: - looks great, thanks. Will have a look for that. Have a Factory records book kicking around somewhere but haven't go round to reading that. Will add the Creation one to the pile :thumb:

Started reading this at lunchtime today - its bang on the money so far - really funny.

41OlZFu4eYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I've been meaning to read some Jay McInerney for some time now. I'll look that up when I'm done with The Stand.

Interestingly, this si the first time I've read The Stand for a while and since being on this forum I've connected the book to Hearts twice. Songs get mentioned like Blessed Assurance (The Hearts Song tune) and Marching Through Georgia (Hello Hello tune) made me smile.

Started reading this at lunchtime today - its bang on the money so far - really funny.

41OlZFu4eYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Not long read that. Very good and well worth the ?3 i paid for it out HMV.

Reading this just now which for anybody with a passing interest in the 'war on terror' i would recommend.

%7BFC2B745C-FF50-4C01-9432-CC1C077287D4%7DImg100.jpg

Have been to:

stalingradbeevor.jpg

On to:

Berlin.jpg

Heavy shit, as G-A said, but excellent reading if you're a War 'geek' like me!

He does a book on D Day as well, Arnold - have not read it yet though.

About 100 pages in to "Hellraisers" - was a bit worried that stories of excess drinking might get a bit tiresome but there is more to this book that them just getting pissed.

Hellraisers.JPG.jpeg

What did you think of it? I thought the early parts were excellent, with some good anecdotes and facts, but it tailed off toward the end.

I've not got through it all yet (had a ridiculously busy week so been straight to the scratch when I get in with no reading), but it is rammed with facts. Can definitely see him not being able to keep the pace up until the end. Will let you know what I thought when I'm done.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Have been to:

stalingradbeevor.jpg

On to:

Berlin.jpg

Heavy shit, as G-A said, but excellent reading if you're a War 'geek' like me!

Both superb. I've got Paris but haven't ever got round to starting it - not in the same class apparently

Gigolo-Aunt

Started reading this yesterday. Have read a book years ago on it, have always found it a interesting topic.

51Vb7yEaPDL.jpg

Creepy Lurker

I'm currently reading 'He Lover of Death', an Erast Fandorin mystery by Boris Akunin.

It's the perfect way to take a wee break from uni work: light, entertaining and doesn't take itself too seriously.

51mjb81LBxL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Didn't set out to read this, but got led into it by strange reasons... can't make up my mind about it, but strangely difficult to put down.

Edited by hmfc_steve

Gigolo-Aunt

Started reading this at lunch. A young German soldier in WW2 - from his training to the Eastern front - it has been superb so far.

41CGYYWP6ZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Started reading this at lunch. A young German soldier in WW2 - from his training to the Eastern front - it has been superb so far.

I read that a while ago. A great read but some experts in the field reckon it can't be true as some of the dates don't measure up. They all agreed that it was a great read though! Good to see things from the other side.

• 3 weeks later...

Shameless plug for my book, Chaotic justice, which is available at My linknow. Screen read only so if you're interested it can be downloaded to your laptop, kindle or other reading device. Its a novel mainly set in Edinburgh during the 70's. Some Hearts content and a lot of Edinburgh punk experiences as the main characters wrestle with the morals and ethics of racism, sectarianism, violence and the law.

My link

Edited by hydeparkhearts

Shameless plug for my book, Chaotic justice, which is available at My linknow. Screen read only so if you're interested it can be downloaded to your laptop, kindle or other reading device. Its a novel mainly set in Edinburgh during the 70's. Some Hearts content and a lot of Edinburgh punk experiences as the main characters wrestle with the morals and ethics of racism, sectarianism, violence and the law.

My link

Sorry. Should have said you can find it under Social fiction or New Books. The author is Ian Aitken.

i'm rereading the picture of dorian gray. i've read it several times now but try and avoid doing so too regularly as it leaves me wanting to be lord henry for a few days afterwards.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Finished two of the millennium trilogy, thought they were both great.

Just started this:

n126288.jpg

Looks good.

Coburg Hearts

I finished this book at the week-end. A great read but as mentioned you do wonder how much is true.......he must have had a photographic memory and would do well in the "where is this" thread. :huh: I first read this about 30 years ago but it's as good now as it was then.

I'm now a good way through another cracking read...........The Ice Man by Philip Carlo. I've not long finished another of his books......The Butcher, about a hit-man in the mafia.

Coburg Hearts

homicide.jpg

Superb so far.

I have this on my Kindle but have not started reading it yet. Seems like a good read.

Thought I'd give this one another go...really enjoy it.

Huh? What happened to the picture?

Anyway - it's Nick Hornby's High Fidelity

How's this for a description...

'How can one describe the way people born before 1940 say the word 'pop'? I have been listening to my parents' sneering one-syllable explosion - heads forward, idiotic look on their faces (because pop fans are idiots) for the time it takes them to spit the word out - for well over two decades.'

How can you not just picture what he means there - the guy's a genius.

Buffalo Bill

JohnLennonTheLife.JPG

Finished with Goldman's book (or second assassination) and have now moved onto this to compare and constrast.

Despite everything Goldman threw at John Lennon, I can't help but feel that he really did like Lennon but like many of us, was dismayed by his self-destruction by capitulating to the duplicitous Yoko Ono.

I'm about a hundred pages into Norman's book and so far, the only note of controvesry is that the young Lennon wanted to get it on with his mother!

Finished two of the millennium trilogy, thought they were both great.

Just started this:

n126288.jpg

Looks good.

YES! Great book. Recommend Requiem for a Dream after that (same author) or Waiting Period, also Selby Jr. Really like his writing style, it's discordant enough to really make you pay attention but the stories are fantastic.

I'm working my way through all the Sherlock Holmes stories so am breaking them up by reading a book between each one. I'm almost done with The Real Mackay by (sir) Dave Mackay. It's been a great read. I think it's really helped me relate to a period in hearts' history from before and during the time around my dad's birth. Also left me with a lot (more) respect for Spurs and Mackay in general. He's always remembered as a great player at every club he was at (well apart from maybe Swindon - even though he did plenty good for them) but he was more than that, a smart guy. Really enjoyed it and was proud as hell to meet him once. Probably the number one Hearts player I wish I'd seen play in his prime. (edit: that gives me an idea. Troops! Meet me in the terrace)

Edited by Boomstick

Finally got round to finishing this

6172195.jpg

Bit disappointing really. Professes to be a 'New' history, but is really just a chronological regurgitation of the historical facts. Author tells us that he is going to tease out the importance of liberty, empire and faith but fails to do this. :down:

Next up is a bit of economics/maths/biography.

29506.jpg

Just finished reading garden of beasts by Jeffrey deaver. Pretty good. Now onto the devil's star by Jo nesbo. A touch slow to start but picking up pace now.

PsychocAndy

My link

The main guy is called Alan Anderson. I've bookmarked it just now, but will buy it soon, even just to see if he's mates with Drew Busby, Kenny Aird and Willie Gibson. :thumbsup:

The main guy is called Alan Anderson. I've bookmarked it just now, but will buy it soon, even just to see if he's mates with Drew Busby, Kenny Aird and Willie Gibson. :thumbsup:

Thanks mate. Ernie Winchester does appear later.

Napoleon  Wilson

Reading Hannibal.

n5250.jpg

Getting near the end now, great read. :thumbsup:

Edited by GoldenChed

Reading some shite by David Baldacci. Thought his 'Camel Club' series were pretty good but this one just now is pish, The Whole Truth. More than half way though so may as well stick with it, even if it's just in hope that this special agent guy gets a bullet in his feckin brain :woot: